Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: HPA Motorsports Gen.4 Haldex Controller for VW MkVI Golf R/Audi TT-RS

1. 10-20-2011 07:59 PM #1

The newest generation of 4Motion equipped cars use Haldex's fourth generation of AWD systems. The Gen.4 Race Controller takes into account the TPS signal more so than the OEM software and therefore can proactively begin applying power to the RWD clutch packs before wheel spin begins, and as power is increased, more power lock occurs in the RWD unit until full lock is achieved.

This product offers the following benefits:

• increases torque transmission at acceleration
      • provides consistent performance with increased over-steer
      • torque-transmission is influenced by how quickly you depress the accelerator
      • transmits torque before the engine delivers torque
      • at greater speeds, the torque will decrease enabling less over-steer and safer driving properties

HPA Motorsports is proud to exclusively offer our "Stealth" Gen.4 Sport Haldex controller. Identical in appearance to your stock controller, you can now enjoy all the benefits of this performance component without jeopardizing your powertrain warranty. The Stealth controller is undetectable by your dealership; both visually as well as through a scan of your Haldex AWD drive system.

By default, the controller is designed to be in Race mode which completely transforms the handling characteristics of your AWD car by providing faster reaction time to vehicle inputs in the AWD communication system, increasing torque transfer to the rear axle, and giving more rear wheel bias.

With the installation of a specially engineered wiring harness and switch, or wireless receiver with remote, you can have instant access to all three of the programs built in to the controller; Stock, Race, and Eco.

As an enthusiastic driver you may not find yourself using Stock mode very often, but it will come in useful when loaning your car to an inexperienced driver, or when you are driving in slippery conditions and want to engage the conservative safety parameters set out by the factory.

Eco mode was developed for increased fuel efficiency. Its purpose is to reduce the torque transfer from front to rear during normal highway driving (coasting), but will immediately engage the system if a wheel starts to slip to prevent decreased traction situations. This mode is recommended to be used when AWD drive is not a high priority.

Orders can be placed by PayPal through our website, or by calling HPA directly at 604.598.8520.

2. 10-25-2011 07:30 PM #2
      More inventory on the way...send me an IM or e-mail for a quote...

3. 11-07-2011 07:29 PM #3
      Group Buy Opportunity

Valid until November 30th...

4. 11-16-2011 01:28 PM #4
      UPDATE

We also have the option to offer a special version of the Gen.4 Haldex which will permanently be set to RACE mode, without the option to switch modes using a cable/switch or remote.

• Gen.4 Haldex with cable/switch US$899.00 shipped

Save $150.00 off our regular price!!

5. 12-05-2011 07:54 PM #6
      Gen.4 controllers, switches, and remotes in stock and ready to ship...

6. 12-12-2011 06:20 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by bazzle View Post
      Fitted mine 10 days ago

Fitted switch but left cable under rear seat, (switch fits perfectly in the cutout around the sender

There is a drivabilty difference, hard cornering pulls around a lot cleaner with less understeer drag.
      Taking off hard front tire rotation is at a minimum compared to standard.

7. 12-21-2011 07:24 PM #8
      Thank you for your orders!

8. Member
      12-22-2011 02:35 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by VAD@HPA View Post
      UPDATE

We also have the option to offer a special version of the Gen.4 Haldex which will permanently be set to RACE mode, without the option to switch modes using a cable/switch or remote.

• Gen.4 Haldex with cable/switch US$899.00 shipped

Save $150.00 off our regular price!!
      Do you still have these race-only units? Is this something you'll always offer? I'd like one for my RS, but I don't see it on your site.

- Jeremy -

9. 12-22-2011 12:16 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by - Jeremy - View Post
      Do you still have these race-only units? Is this something you'll always offer? I'd like one for my RS, but I don't see it on your site.

- Jeremy -
      Send me an e-mail and I will check inventory on these units at Haldex in the second week of January when we re-open. If we can still get more, I will honor the price I quoted.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi A4
      12-24-2011 03:01 PM #11
      TTRS, using the remote, can I tell what mode I'm running in. In other words, does the remote indicate what mode it's on? Is this system undetectable unless someone sees wireless receiver or switch?

11. 01-05-2012 06:12 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by nj_v-dub View Post
      TTRS, using the remote, can I tell what mode I'm running in. In other words, does the remote indicate what mode it's on? Is this system undetectable unless someone sees wireless receiver or switch?
      The remote is just a series of buttons, there is no indicator showing the mode you are in. The controller is electronically undetectable (via diagnostic tools), although the wireless receiver will be visable under the car.

12. 01-06-2012 08:04 PM #13
      All Haldex configurations in stock and ready to ship.

Vehicles
      2008 Audi TT 3.2 VR6 Turbo/DSG and 2008 Audi A4 Cab 2.0
      01-06-2012 09:17 PM #14
      True, but there are beeps the seem to come from the receiver. Is there anything to know about these beeps (seems like 1 beep = regulars, 2 beeps = sport, 3 beeps = race)? It seems it would be hard to determine if the switching is not actually working.

Honestly I've just kept mine in Race mode.

Quote Originally Posted by VAD@HPA View Post
      The remote is just a series of buttons, there is no indicator showing the mode you are in. The controller is electronically undetectable (via diagnostic tools), although the wireless receiver will be visable under the car.
      Sentari,
      2008 Audi TT 3.2 (HPA FT500 Turbo): Build: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ts-Turbo-Build
      2008 Audi A4 2.0T Cab (Hi-Flow Cat and APR Tune!)
      2011 Audi Q5 2.0T

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      01-23-2012 07:29 PM #15
      Is there any potential for excessive wear on the Haldex by being in race mode all the time?
      2012 TT-RS in Suzuka Gray

15. 01-24-2012 12:32 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
      Is there any potential for excessive wear on the Haldex by being in race mode all the time?
      We have had customers who run consistently in race mode with no issues reported. Maybe a slight decrease in fuel economy, thats about it.

16. 01-26-2012 01:45 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by mfbmike View Post
      Big props to HPA.

Really friendly, solid customer service both on this (Haldex) occasion and when I purchased the core interlock mount a few months ago. They really are just a phone call away.

Appreciate the help guys and can't wait to reap the benefits. Thanks again.

17. 02-01-2012 04:21 PM #18
      All Controllers are in stock and ready to ship...we will match or beat all competitors' prices...IM or e-mail me for a quote.

18. 02-05-2012 12:51 PM #19
      i would imagine this is a must have mod for TT-RS owners in my opinion. i'm dying for a TT-RS, and if i do get one, surely this and an ecu tune will be the only things i do to it. i can't imagine how much the front tires are being overworked on a car like this with this type of power. and its quite disappointing that audi didnt adjust the awd system for a rear bias for a car of this caliber with an RS badge. but regardless, if this haldex controller can't be noticed visually by the dealer and can't be found by them scanning the awd system, then it's a no brainer. i would like to know however how much of a decrease in fuel efficiency we're talking about here, and also, why we can't make it completely rear biased. for example, in the race mode dyno graph, i feel like if the front wheel power and rear wheel power graph lines were switched, it would make for a perfect ratio. just a little more rear wheel than front wheel as opposed to a little more front wheel than rear wheel (as it is now in race mode) would be ideal..

19. 02-05-2012 01:20 PM #20
      What are the numbers wrt torque to wheels compared to oem?

20. 02-05-2012 01:35 PM #21
      http://www.hpamotorsport.com/images/...dexoverlay.jpg

ignore the sport mode, which i don't believe is available for the TT-RS. instead you would have an ECO mode. honestly, i wouldn't even get the switchable haldex, i'd just get the one thats in race mode permanently. it seems best all around, for performance, and for the snow as well. it just offers the most traction. but still, i'd rather more of a rear bias..

02-05-2012 04:26 PM #22
      I have to be honest, I just don't see the point in monkeying around with this. The car feels like it is about to pull a wheelie when launched hard as it is.
      Last edited by Black BeauTTy; 02-05-2012 at 05:48 PM.
      2012 TTRS: Daytona Gray (wrapped in Avery Dark Gray Matte Metallic and Gloss Black) , CF Mirrors, Nexon CF Steering Wheel, OSIR Coolant Tank CF Shield, Tinted Tails
      GIAC Stage 2, AWE SwitchPath + cat-deletes, AWE FMIC, H&R RSB, MSS Sport Springs, AWE Boost Gauge, Wheels: HRE P40 19x9 et50; Borbet LV5 18x8 et35; TSW Interlagos 18x9.5 et53 w/Mich PSS 275/35

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      02-05-2012 04:59 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by markk13 View Post
      http://www.hpamotorsport.com/images/...dexoverlay.jpg

ignore the sport mode, which i don't believe is available for the TT-RS. instead you would have an ECO mode. honestly, i wouldn't even get the switchable haldex, i'd just get the one thats in race mode permanently. it seems best all around, for performance, and for the snow as well. it just offers the most traction. but still, i'd rather more of a rear bias..
      The TT-RS automatically moves all the way in to a "Race" mode depending on detected conditions / wheel slip, so it's not obvious to me how needed this really is.

On the track, what I really needed was a way to reduce understeer even when not applying power. I didn't get the feeling that I had a traction limitation for putting power down.

23. 02-05-2012 05:48 PM #24
      The TT-RS automatically moves all the way in to a "Race" mode depending on detected conditions / wheel slip, so it's not obvious to me how needed this really is.

On the track, what I really needed was a way to reduce understeer even when not applying power. I didn't get the feeling that I had a traction limitation for putting power down.
      im not a TT-RS owner, so i haven't even driven the car. you own the car, and if you say this isn't necessary, then i'll agree with you. realistically, i would never track the car anyway, i would just take highway ramps fast and corners fast, nothing too crazy, so i guess it wouldn't be necessary for me. but just the fact that this car is 85% front wheel biased regularly just seems stupid to me. i know it adapts and adjusts and can send as much 100% to the rear wheels, but it will only do that once your front wheels have completely lost traction, which would mean you're already understeering, which would be annoying since you shouldn't really ever understeer in an awd performance car because it should be rear biased..

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      02-05-2012 06:01 PM #25
      im not a TT-RS owner, so i haven't even driven the car. you own the car, and if you say this isn't necessary, then i'll agree with you. realistically, i would never track the car anyway, i would just take highway ramps fast and corners fast, nothing too crazy, so i guess it wouldn't be necessary for me. but just the fact that this car is 85% front wheel biased regularly just seems stupid to me. i know it adapts and adjusts and can send as much 100% to the rear wheels, but it will only do that once your front wheels have completely lost traction, which would mean you're already understeering, which would be annoying since you shouldn't really ever understeer in an awd performance car because it should be rear biased..
      I'm not saying it wouldn't be noticeable, I just question how "needed" it is.

Putting most of the power to the front wheels should help reduce driveline loss (maximizing power and economy in high traction situations).

100% power to the rear wheels can only happen when the Haldex is locked and the front wheels have zero traction.

25. 02-05-2012 10:27 PM #26
      I'm not saying it wouldn't be noticeable, I just question how "needed" it is.

Putting most of the power to the front wheels should help reduce driveline loss (maximizing power and economy in high traction situations).

100% power to the rear wheels can only happen when the Haldex is locked and the front wheels have zero traction.
      do you ever feel like the car is front wheel biased on the road? like when taking hard corners, driving aggresively, maybe taking a long highway ramp? do you ever feel like, "man, these front tires are being over worked, i wish it was more rear biased and tail happy!" ??

Vehicles
      2008 Audi TT 3.2 VR6 Turbo/DSG and 2008 Audi A4 Cab 2.0
      02-05-2012 11:23 PM #27
      If the RS is the same sort of Haldex as the 3.2 then if you don't own one or have experienced the performance RACE mode then just stop talking and start listening. The performance Haldex is (in the end) an in expensive mod to your AWD that will transform the car into the beast that it was meant to be in the first place -- except for Audi likes to play safe out of the box. I have a remote, but really, if it were designed to be in Race mode all the time---that would be just fine with me. It's still got plenty of AWD to get through the snow and such, but does not pusee foot around like stock. Plus, the MPG is about the same. My calculations have not seen any statistical difference. People pay like $1500 but for "race" OE exhaust systems when you would be better off just turning your radio down a bit! So give it a go and get on board with a real Haldex.
      Sentari,
      2008 Audi TT 3.2 (HPA FT500 Turbo): Build: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ts-Turbo-Build
      2008 Audi A4 2.0T Cab (Hi-Flow Cat and APR Tune!)
      2011 Audi Q5 2.0T

27. 02-05-2012 11:34 PM #28
      Pm me for prices on a TTRS.

28. 02-06-2012 12:48 AM #29
      Keep in mind the RS already has much more aggressive tuning for the haldex than the 3.2. It already starts transmitting power based on throttle input like the blue controller does.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 GTi /2012 TTRS
      02-06-2012 05:13 AM #30
      Would be great to here from RS owners who have made the switch and their impressions

30. 02-06-2012 11:22 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by YYC Dubber View Post
      Would be great to here from RS owners who have made the switch and their impressions
      +1

31. 02-06-2012 12:25 PM #32
      i would imagine this is a must have mod for TT-RS owners in my opinion. i'm dying for a TT-RS, and if i do get one, surely this and an ecu tune will be the only things i do to it. i can't imagine how much the front tires are being overworked on a car like this with this type of power...

32. 02-06-2012 12:29 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by canuckttrs View Post
      Pm me for prices on a TTRS.
      IM Sent.

33. 02-08-2012 07:33 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by ray32 View Post
      great products! one of the few products i have from HPA and looking foward to add a few more...

34. 02-15-2012 06:49 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by caraddict1 View Post
      Is this the correct generation for the 2008 B6 Passat 3.6 VR6 4Motion?
      You can easily help us identify which controller is required by checking this:

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast