Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Audi Concert 2+ Aux adapter install tutorial

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport (170)
      10-21-2011 04:43 PM #1
      Hello all,

Recently I set out to add an aux adapter to my concert 2+ and without relying on an expensive ross tech cable here is a solution:

This is for the quad lock radios:

You will need:
      Stereo Removal Keys
      I used: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2607858006...84.m1497.l2649
      Connects 2: CT29AU04
      I used:
      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1504567388...84.m1497.l2649 as it came with the adapter to mini jack

VAG K+CAN Diagnostic Cable:
      I used:
      http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=150622636834

Got to love ebay for a bargain

Now once you have connected up all the cables which are very straight forward, you will need to reprogram your radio.

Fire up "VAG-K+CAN COMMANDER FULL 1.4" which comes with the adapter or if you have another adapter just post and I can post the software on here.

Under Target select "82 FM-Tuner / Radio" and press "Open Channel"
      Now your radio should be displaying "DIAG" which means everything has gone well.

Next you need to actually reprogram it thankfully there is an easy way to work out the code if you go on http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...ration_II_Plus

You need to go through each option filling out the number so for example you would start with 0xx0xxx
      Then if you want to enable aux with you do it becomes 01x0xxx then fill in option 2 so for me i had none of the equipment so it became 010, the next digit is already 0 so you skip over it and look at the next option which in my case i have a diesel engine so the code is now 01002, now you carry on this process until you have finished all the options in the end for me it was 0100201.

Now enter this into the value(HEX) box and press "Coding" and if everything has gone it should say it’s done it.

Here is a picture of the software for reference:

Standard with the cheap cables.

Now close the channel wait for your radio to reboot hit CD twice and hey presto you now have aux input, enjoy

Hope this is all clear any questions ask away. It's a cheap solution but it works cost me around £35 all together but for the decent audio quality it's definitely worth it.

2. 12-01-2011 01:15 AM #2
      Just wanted to comment since I was able to reproduce this today on my 2008 Audi A3 2.0 with the Concert II (I believe) radio.

I did the wiring by cutting one end off a normal 1/8th to 1/8th stereo cable and soldering the R, L and Gnd pins to ISO connectors (Audi Part Number 000-979-009, which I got from my local VW dealer). Then I plugged the pins into the existing wiring harness at the back of the stereo. I routed the other end of the stereo wire (the end with the remaining 1/8th male connector) out the passenger side panel. Pretty straight forward once you have the Audi/VW connectors. This link was helpful: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...or-Symphony-II

The VAG part was a bit more tricky. I asked the service department at my local Audi dealer (Maita Audi, for the record) if they could do the reprogram for me to enable the aux input. The guy got a funny look on his face and said no such thing was required, nor had he even heard of such a thing. Of course, he was wrong.

I ordered the VAG K+CAN connector from eBay. There wasn't a driver on the CD, so I found and installed the FTDI VCP (virtual COM port) driver from ftdichip.com. No additional setup for my win7 laptop.

Then I brought my laptop out to the car and plugged the VAG connector into the slot above the dead pedal. I also had to turn on, but not start, the car.

I then launched VAG commander from the CD. I selected Target 82 and hit "Open Channel." My radio then said "DIAG." At this point I wasn't too sure what to do.

Using the "Coding" values from this link (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...ration_II_Plus), I was able to figure out the 7 digit code I needed to use. I wanted aux (obviously), multifunction wheel, leather interior, wagon, and North America to be set, so my value was 0300122. Then I copied this value into the Value(HEX) field on VAG commander and clicked "Coding." This gave me an error stating "Conditions not correct." Then I reviewed Lordneon's instructions and saw that he omitted the leading 0 (which gave me 300122 in Value(HEX)). Again, I clicked "Coding." This seemed to do the trick! Then I clicked "Close Channel" and disconnected the VAG cable.

After all that, I can click CD twice on the radio and get to the aux input! Thanks to everyone for the instructions. Hope my details help someone out there.
      Last edited by paulad; 12-01-2011 at 01:18 AM.

Vehicles
      '06 A3, '03 LR Freelander
      12-04-2011 11:08 PM #3
      these are brilliant instructions

will these cheap VAG cables allow you to do other coding like headlight switches and convenience package features too?
      '06 2.0t bone stock

4. n00b
      Vehicles
      04-11-2012 01:56 PM #4
      For some reason I was not emailed when this thread was replied to. So here's a reply better late then never.

The cheap cables should do all the re coding fine. But they do not do everything recently I had a check engine light come on and I could not read the error codes from the engine for some reason which was annoying. I only got mine just to get aux working so for that it was fine.

Vehicles
      '08 Audi A3 (8P), '99 Golf MkIV, '89 Porsche 951S
      04-11-2012 03:03 PM #5
      You get the support that you pay for...

VCDS ('Vag-com') from Ross-Tech gives and you get full support, and continuous updates as software evolves.

The cheap cables give you software and no support. -Plus, many of the cheap cables which used 'cracked' copies of the Ross-Tech software will be locked out of future upgrades.

It's like the difference between a Snap-On or Matco wrench, and a K-mart of Harbor Freight cheap wrench. Both have a good chance of getting the job done, but one is definitely 'better'. You make your own decision about whether or not the difference is worth it to you.

I look after ALL of my cars fairly religiously. For me it was the Ross-Tech without question.
      Quote Originally Posted by MisterJJ View Post
      A "jump from a VW to an Audi"?!? I wouldn't call it a jump. It's more like shuffling along the sidewalk, tripping on a crack, bumping into a gorgeous blonde, walking away in a daze, and later finding out that she stole your wallet.

6. n00b
      Vehicles
      04-11-2012 03:19 PM #6
      Indeed you do if you plan to use the cable a lot I would definitely go for the ross tech.

But for a one off cheap job £16 is much better then £220.

Vehicles
      04-11-2012 05:29 PM #7
      Ah, you're over in Blighty.. yes they are more expensive over there than they are here...

But Nige (NHN) ovef on Audi Sport is a diamond geezer who both sells them and is a true gent to boot when it comes to support etc.

Mine has paid for itself several times over.
      A "jump from a VW to an Audi"?!? I wouldn't call it a jump. It's more like shuffling along the sidewalk, tripping on a crack, bumping into a gorgeous blonde, walking away in a daze, and later finding out that she stole your wallet.

Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3 2.0T
      04-12-2012 04:37 PM #8
      Is it the cable or the software that's cheap. Couldn't you get the cheaper cable and then get the $99 license from Ross Tech for VAG-COM? I was just thinking, they state on their site that their cable is a dongle for the software but you can any cable if you get a $99 license from them. Would that work for us economically minded folks?

Vehicles
      04-12-2012 05:14 PM #9
      $99 isn't the software license... the cost of the interface cable (including inbuilt dongle to let the software know that you have the license) INCLUDES the cost of the license.

The $99 is license transfer, for support to owners after the fist one.

Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3 2.0T
      04-13-2012 03:47 PM #10
      Whoops! My bad. I still want to get this, but its down on my list at the moment due to it being a bit price

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      04-13-2012 04:02 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by VWAddict View Post
      Ah, you're over in Blighty.. yes they are more expensive over there than they are here...

But Nige (NHN) ovef on Audi Sport is a diamond geezer who both sells them and is a true gent to boot when it comes to support etc.

Mine has paid for itself several times over.
      What is this? You're speaking in tongues, Keith!
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

Vehicles
      04-13-2012 04:30 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      What is this? You're speaking in tongues, Keith!
      Yerss, mate!

Sorry, lapsed into Cockney there...

Faster than a speeding Babelfish:

Ah, you're over in Blighty..
      Translation: Oh, you reside within the boundaries of the sceptered British Isles... (Jewel that it is, set within a silver sea.)

Translation: However, Nigel (who rejoices under the user name 'NHN') within the confines of that scurrilous alter-forum known as 'Audi-Sport-dot-net' is a gentlemen of first-rate repute and -in addition- is a fellow of utterly top-drawer character, particularly when assistance of a challenging technical nature is the order of the hour.

Vehicles
      '14 TT Competition in Samoa Orange!!!!
      04-13-2012 04:31 PM #13
      My 2011 has an auxillary in the space underneath the arm rest. I thought this was standard?

Vehicles
      04-13-2012 04:41 PM #14
      Only for 2009 and later, old bean.

I retrofitted it on my 2008 a couple of years ago.

Vehicles
      '14 TT Competition in Samoa Orange!!!!
      04-13-2012 06:43 PM #15
      Nice! I can see this definately being a plus for cars without it. And this is a very inexpensive way of doing it.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 A3 2.0T 6MT
      06-06-2012 11:31 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Pretarion View Post
      Nice! I can see this definately being a plus for cars without it. And this is a very inexpensive way of doing it.
      Great work to the OP; this helped me get started to do this to my own car. I wanted to add an alternative method. This is for a 2006 A3 2.0T with Concert II+, with Sirius and OEM iPod interface (no CD changer)

The OP went with the CT29AU04 cable, which is two female RCA connectors to the blue (1 of 4) quadlock connector. This cable requires you to also get the RCA male to 1/4" stereo male cable, and the CT29AU04 doesn't seem to be available in the US. I already had the blue connector with pins occupying several positions in the connector for what I believe to be the iPod interface in my glovebox. So to add aux input, I used the VW aux adapter cable (000-051-444-M) that consisted of a 1/4" stereo jack on one end and three ISO pin connectors on the other end. I made the connections following the wiring diagram printed on the radio, and with guidance from this thread: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...or-Symphony-II. VAGCOM was necessary and painless to add AUX source to the end of the list of inputs when pressing the "CD" button: CD-->iPod-->Aux.

I ran the cable to the ashtray-deleted cubby forward of the gearshifter. I connected the 1/4" stereo jack to a Jabra stereo bluetooth adapter, and paired my Samsung Galaxy Nexus to the OEM bluetooth for "phone audio", and to the Jabra bluetooth for "media audio". I will probably never use the iPod in the car again since I can't stand not knowing what song I'm listening to.

I ordered the cable from my Audi dealer (almost $40 ), who told me at the time I picked it up that they could not obtain it from AoA as it was a VW part. The parts guy said he was able to get it from his VW counterpart.

Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3 2.0T
      06-06-2012 12:15 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by VWAddict View Post
      Only for 2009 and later, old bean.

I retrofitted it on my 2008 a couple of years ago.
      My 2008 has the AUX plug under the armrest

Vehicles
      2012 A3 2.0TQ
      06-06-2012 12:29 PM #18
      If your 2010+ is equipped with the Audi Music Interface (AMI) in the glove box you don't get an AUX connection in the console. You can get an AMI adapter cable with a stereo plug if you need an AUX-IN function.

19. 06-23-2012 02:17 PM #19
      Hi lordneon and all,

Many thanks for such detailed instructions. I've been following them and have the ebay lead + Connect 2 cable. I'm having trouble getting VAG K+CAN to find my unit. When I push "Open Channel" it just tells me that the "Target Unit is not responding!" Can anyone help?

Regards

Nick

20. 06-23-2012 02:45 PM #20
      ps - I can access other car functions like "01 Motor" or "05 Airbag" so the connection seems to be OK and driver working. Nick

Vehicles
      2012 A3 2.0TQ
      06-23-2012 09:28 PM #21
      Knockoff cables can have problems accessing some controllers.