Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

View Poll Results: Have you experienced these conditions in your TT RS?

Voters
    15. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes

9 60.00%
    • No

6 40.00%
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TT RS ---> Querks (Curious if others have noticed)

Vehicles
      '01 S/C VR6 '12 TTRS
      10-26-2011 02:21 PM #26
      FYI

If you roll the windows up around 1 inch from the bottom this will completely eliminate the buffetting. I have done it with success at multiple speeds (Below 120MPH)

Above that you really should have the windows up lol

2. Member
      10-26-2011 06:16 PM #27
      Some thoughts:
      - Noticed the long start issue. Will have to try the suggestion.
      - I notice the pedal pulse, and I'm always in neutral when stopped.
      - Bedded the brakes in the first week. Noise went away.
      - The wind buffetting gets absurd at high speed. Feel like my ears will pop, and that's with a full-face helmet on. Will have to try different widow heights.
      - The seatbelts flap like crazy at speed also.
      - Mileage gets better very quickly. I'm at 3K and getting 30+mpg freeway. Yes, this is my DD.
      - Querks? Quarks? _Quirks_.
      - Deep Black Pearl '12 GTI 2.0T DSG
      - Phantom black '12 TT-RS 2.5TQMS
      - Brilliant black '08 A5 3.2QMS
      - Volcano black '99.5 A4 1.8TQM
      - Black '89 80 manual

3. Member
      10-27-2011 12:29 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post

Then I bedded in the brakes with repeated hard stops (and a track day), and ever since then they have not squeaked *even once*! Not the slights peep. It's been amazing!
      Big disappointment for me today. Squeal came back just as bad as before our track runs.
      2012 TTRS, Ibis, Sport Exhaust Titanium Package, Wing Delete

Vehicles
      2012 Audi TTRS, 2012 Audi Q5 2.0TDI S-Line
      10-27-2011 01:28 AM #29
      In the grand scheme of things with how good the car is; if the worst thing about the car is wind buffetting, some brake squeel, allowing the fuel pumps etc to start before you start the car, we should all be lucky - the car is bloody awesome and for little things like that, I'm just not at all fussed by it because overall I couldn't be happier with it. It could be a lot worse in terms of reliability in that the interior is not at all plasticy or cheap, the car runs perfectly and has no issues (touch wood) and it looks and goes AWESOME!!

People look at these cars and say wow (or wanker in many cases lol) and I think of it as a little mini supercar. I genuinely love my little RS and would gladly wait another 9 months for it.
      '12 Audi TT RS, Phantom Black, Manual
      Bose Sound System inc Audi Music Interface and TV Reception
      Blackout Pack by GmbH + GmbH 19' Titanium Look Alloy Wheels + Dark Window Tint
      Extended Leather Package With Heated Recaro Bucket Seats + LED Interior Lighting Package
      Adaptive Headlights & Tyre Pressure Monitor

5. Member
      10-27-2011 10:42 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by joshsmith View Post
      I genuinely love my little RS and would gladly wait another 9 months for it.
      Thinking the same thing myself.

6. 10-27-2011 11:15 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by joshsmith View Post
      In the grand scheme of things with how good the car is; if the worst thing about the car is wind buffetting, some brake squeel, allowing the fuel pumps etc to start before you start the car, we should all be lucky - the car is bloody awesome and for little things like that, I'm just not at all fussed by it because overall I couldn't be happier with it. It could be a lot worse in terms of reliability in that the interior is not at all plasticy or cheap, the car runs perfectly and has no issues (touch wood) and it looks and goes AWESOME!!
      Having spent the last two years of my life with an S5, the quirks mentioned so far really are minor annoyances, if even that. Bedding new brake rotors/pads is a good idea on any car, and having to give the fuel pumps a bit of time isn't the end of the world, either. I'm still mildly concerned about the buffeting, but then the S5 isn't completely devoid of this problem, either.

I suggest reading up on S5 (especially 2008/2009 S5, 4.2 TFSI V8 and general B8 platform) quirks to put the above into perspective.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991/2011 MINI S
      10-27-2011 11:24 AM #32
      Almost every modern car I've had (last 15 years or so) has had interior buffetting with windows down at some speed. Aerodynamics have become important to the overall performance and gas mileage figures, cars are designed with their windows CLOSED. Don't know why it is a surprise that weird things happen when you go fast with them down, in fact all of my cars have been fine up to around 50-60, above that not so much. The last one I tracked was my Cayman S. It didn't have as much buffetting as the RS does, but with a helmet on and concentrating on the "line" I didn't even notice what was left. I think it's a non-issue to complain about.
      Houston, TX
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991

8. 10-27-2011 12:16 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by mtbscoTT View Post
      Almost every modern car I've had (last 15 years or so) has had interior buffetting with windows down at some speed. Aerodynamics have become important to the overall performance and gas mileage figures, cars are designed with their windows CLOSED. Don't know why it is a surprise that weird things happen when you go fast with them down, in fact all of my cars have been fine up to around 50-60, above that not so much. The last one I tracked was my Cayman S. It didn't have as much buffetting as the RS does, but with a helmet on and concentrating on the "line" I didn't even notice what was left. I think it's a non-issue to complain about.
      Sure. But if the buffeting gets unbearable at 50-60, rather than above 50-60, it can easily take away from the fun during daily driving. I drive with my windows down for most of the year (thanks to CA's almost complete lack of seasons, and understanding fully what it does to the car's aerodynamics), and it makes up a large part of the enjoyment I derive from a car.

All that said, I haven't driven a TT, yet, so I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Chances are it won't be that bad, anyhow.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      10-27-2011 06:45 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by mkauzer View Post
      Big disappointment for me today. Squeal came back just as bad as before our track runs.
      My brakes just started making slight squeaking Moises every now and then yesterday, so I may be in the same boat soon. It's still WAY better than it was before the track event, but it may get louder over time... The event in January at Thunderhill should take care of that.

10. 10-27-2011 06:58 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
      My brakes just started making slight squeaking Moises every now and then yesterday, so I may be in the same boat soon. It's still WAY better than it was before the track event, but it may get louder over time...

The event in January at Thunderhill should take care of that.
      It isn't uncommon for aggressive pad compounds to need a re-bed if you're not using getting them up to temp frequently. Usually just day-to-day commuting will lose all of the bedded material on the rotor and you'll have to re-bed to desqueak. At least it's a fun process

11. Member
      10-27-2011 07:49 PM #36
      That makes sense. They returned to squealing just after I washed the brake dust out. Like Marty's, they seem to be quieting the more I drive them.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLZ7W View Post
      It isn't uncommon for aggressive pad compounds to need a re-bed if you're not using getting them up to temp frequently. Usually just day-to-day commuting will lose all of the bedded material on the rotor and you'll have to re-bed to desqueak. At least it's a fun process

12. Member
      Vehicles
      02 Denim blue 225Q,04 Dolomite grey 225Q,05 Moro blue 225Q,12 Monza Silver RS
      10-27-2011 09:14 PM #37
      Another querk...The size of those outside rearview mirrors!! I mean if you make a sharp left turn, you cannot see the apex, I mean where's the apex??? can't see... that humongous thing is in the way...
      And while,I'm at it, be ready to get drenched,if opening your door when raining...Water rolling from the roof is on you and inside the car...
      Did 312 miles with a tank,today, with 1400miles on the car,driving on eggs...Hope for more.
      Love the torque!
      Suspension is rough.I'm gonna drive it for 5000miles, see if I can live with the gas mileage...
      If I keep it,I'll switch to 18/245/40.

Vehicles
      '12/TT RS, '10/VW/GTI, '06/Porsche/987S
      10-27-2011 10:21 PM #38
      That is just what I thought about the pad material.

The squeaking really doesn't bother me knowing it can be controlled.

For those that are bothered, I'm sure you can get a less aggessive material (ceramic pads?) that won't dust or squeak as much. Of course, the trade off is some degree of performance, I'd imagine.
      2012 TT RS (Phantom Blk, Tech Pkg, Sport Ti Pkg, Heated Seats, CF Mirrors, Tint, Clearbra)
      2010 GTI (Tornado Red, Loaded, R taillights, OZs, DGs, Blk Roof, LEDs, Tint, Clearbra)
      2006 987S (Carerra White, GT3 Seats, PSS9s, RG5s, AWE Catback, Tint, Clearbra)

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 BB Q5, 2012 PB TTRS
      10-27-2011 11:36 PM #39
      I'm not claiming to be an expert here, and I didn't respond to the post with someone telling me that I needed to bed the brakes, but you guys are over analyzing this. I don't think you "lose" pad material from the disc when you drive around town doing gentle stops. But, our performance brakes are dusty and they squeal when cold. Warm 'em up or get rid of the dust, and they quiet down. If you don't like the squeal, get some cheaper pads.
      2015 Brilliant Black Q5
      2012 Phantom Black TTRS (Tech Pack, Sport Exhaust Titanium Pack, Heated Seats)

15. 10-27-2011 11:50 PM #40
      I took mine down to Audi last Saturday to have the brakes fixed. I was told it was a known issue and there was a recall on the TTRS because of it. I got my TTRS back on Wednesday. Yep, it took that long to fix the issue. Tuesday they called me to tell me they were ordering a special "paste" for the pads.

I got my TTRS back and the squealing was gone. It just came back a very very small amount this afternoon but my car sounds like a different car now whenever I brake.

16. 10-28-2011 01:03 AM #41
      interesting... too bad they dont install new brakes

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991/2011 MINI S
      10-28-2011 09:09 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by orlanderlv View Post
      I took mine down to Audi last Saturday to have the brakes fixed. I was told it was a known issue and there was a recall on the TTRS because of it. I got my TTRS back on Wednesday. Yep, it took that long to fix the issue. Tuesday they called me to tell me they were ordering a special "paste" for the pads.

I got my TTRS back and the squealing was gone. It just came back a very very small amount this afternoon but my car sounds like a different car now whenever I brake.
      Think your dealer is just telling you what you want to hear. The only "issue" with our brakes is hard pads on big brakes=some squeal. I find it very hard to believe there is a "recall" on our cars that no one except your dealer has heard of. As stated by many others here, if your brakes are squealing, stomp on them hard a couple times and it will go away.
      Houston, TX
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991

18. Global Moderator David@vwvortex's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '04 R32/83 Rabbit GTI/13.5 Jetta GLI
      10-28-2011 09:55 AM #43
      I can believe MAYBE a TSB vs. a "recall" and the paste they put on the car is probably just anti-squeal which ultimately burns off anyways. Used the stuff for years and stopped recently b/c at the end of the day it just created a mess.

Like others have said give them a good shove from time to time to get some heat in there and get keep the rotors cleared up of any road gunk. I tend to do this w/my R32 and it clears stuff up.

19. 10-28-2011 05:59 PM #44
      Just telling you what I was told. If you want more info just contact the service department over at Audi Henderson in Nevada.

20. 10-30-2011 12:15 PM #45
      The air buffeting on my 2008 TT got pretty intense at 120km/h. My e92 is quiet. But who cares, it's a TT!!! It's the price you guys pay for having such a hot looking car! I wouldn't mind!

21. Member
      11-21-2011 11:51 PM #46
      Some followup:

- Windows - I raised the windows about 2" this past weekend at the track. Either it helped, or I'm just getting used to wind buffeting at high speed.

- Brakes - They've never squeaked since breaking them in (and running at the track)

Marty, can you confirm that the pads are the same as STI pads? That would be a lifesaver for me, since I need some track pads. Stock pads just don't cut it on the track.
      - Deep Black Pearl '12 GTI 2.0T DSG
      - Phantom black '12 TT-RS 2.5TQMS
      - Brilliant black '08 A5 3.2QMS
      - Volcano black '99.5 A4 1.8TQM
      - Black '89 80 manual

22. 12-25-2011 04:01 PM #47
      I've had the squealing brakes and the pulsing brake pedal too. I assume both will correct as the car is broken in (just picked up mine this week).

---
      I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.018558,-114.075929

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      12-25-2011 04:28 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by mageus View Post
      Some followup:

Marty, can you confirm that the pads are the same as STI pads? That would be a lifesaver for me, since I need some track pads. Stock pads just don't cut it on the track.
      That's what I've heard from some knowledgeable folks on the VAGOC forums. Visually that looks to be the case as well. But I haven't physically verified it.

Quote Originally Posted by taloysius View Post
      I've had the squealing brakes and the pulsing brake pedal too. I assume both will correct as the car is broken in (just picked up mine this week).
      Sorry, but no such luck. My brakes stopped squealing for about 1000 miles after a track day, but now they're as loud as ever in full dump-truck fashion.

And as for the pulsing brake pedal, that's also just as bad as ever (now ~4,000 miles on the car).

I'm planning on asking Audi to look in to it at my 5,000 mile service. But it seems like a systematic TT-RS issue, so I don't really want them to trial and error on my car if they don't know what they're doing.

24. 12-25-2011 08:31 PM #49
      I'm at 2800 miles with two track days under the TT-RS belt. The squealing brake issue is non-existant as of right now and I haven't noticed the pulsing brake in 2+ months. I had no issues with the brake pads while at the track. They seemed very very good and better than those on my BMW 135i. The brakes even got a couple of compliments from a couple of instructors.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      01-20-2012 02:50 AM #50
      Hi all,

I've been working with a master tech at a local Audi dealer, and he's requested that everyone with a TT-RS that has been having these issues (vibrating brake pedal and squeaky brakes) take their car in to their local Audi dealer and report the issue.

If enough people report the issue, then Audi will seriously look in to it and correct the problem (especially on early new market releases like the US TT-RS).

I took my car in recently, and there was a Technical Service Bulletin for the squeaky TT-RS brakes. The "fix" in the TSB involved removing the pads, adding some crease to the back, and re-installing them. The noise was definitely significantly reduced (but not eliminated completely).

As for the vibrating brake pedal, the master tech had a hard time reproducing the issue, but based on how the system operated and my description of the issue, they replaced one of the intake pieces that contain a built-in check-valve that provides a vacuum source for the brake booster. We'll see if that fixes the issue for me.

FYI, the squeaky brake bulletin was TSB # 2017130/10, and the replaced vacuum pipe was part # 8J0-611-931-N.

Again, please take your TT-RS cars in to the dealer and describe the issues that you're seeing (even if they're minor) so that Audi will develop a fix for everyone. If nothing else, mention the issues at your 5,000 mile free service, and insist that the tech calls the Audi Tech Line to report the issue.

Thanks!
      Last edited by Marty; 01-20-2012 at 02:55 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast