Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

View Poll Results: Have you experienced these conditions in your TT RS?

Voters
    15. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes

9 60.00%
    • No

6 40.00%
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TT RS ---> Querks (Curious if others have noticed)

Vehicles
      '12/TT RS, '10/VW/GTI, '06/Porsche/987S
      10-21-2011 05:44 PM #1
      First of all, I want to start by saying that I love my TT RS!
      This is the best all around car that I have ever owned.

Just a couple things I noticed after driving it for the past month or so that I thought I would share to see if anyone else has experienced them.

1. Pulsing Brake Pedal
      While sitting at stop lights with the engine running and my foot on the brake pedal, I notice the pulsing feedback through the pedal.

Anyone else notice this?

2. Long Start
      Starting the car, I noticed the engine takes just a little longer to turnover and begin running when compared to other cars I drive. Is this a 5 cylinder thing?

Anyone else ontice this?
      Last edited by TT--AUDI--S4; 10-27-2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Querks --> Quirks :-)
      2012 TT RS (Phantom Blk, Tech Pkg, Sport Ti Pkg, Heated Seats, CF Mirrors, Tint, Clearbra)
      2010 GTI (Tornado Red, Loaded, R taillights, OZs, DGs, Blk Roof, LEDs, Tint, Clearbra)
      2006 987S (Carerra White, GT3 Seats, PSS9s, RG5s, AWE Catback, Tint, Clearbra)

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      10-21-2011 05:56 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by TT--AUDI--S4 View Post

Just a couple things I noticed after driving it for the past month or so that I thought I would share to see if anyone else has experienced them.

1. Pulsing Brake Pedal
      While sitting at stop lights with the engine running and my foot on the brake pedal, I notice the pulsing feedback through the pedal.

Anyone else notice this?

2. Long Start
      Starting the car, I noticed the engine takes just a little longer to turnover and begin running when compared to other cars I drive. Is this a 5 cylinder thing?

Anyone else ontice this?
      I see both of those items all the time. The pulsating break pedal has gotten annoying (and consistent) enough that I'm going to bring it in to Audi soon.

As for the long start, sometimes it starts up quickly, sometimes it takes longer. If I undershoot the starting and stop cranking too soon, it takes an especially long time to start the next time I try.

Another item I would have listed is the squeaky brakes. My brakes squealed like a dump truck for the first 1000 miles I had the car. Then I took it to a track day and really heated up the brakes. Now they're quiet as a mouse... not a single squeal for hundreds of miles since. I suspect they may start squealing again once I wear them away a bit, so I'll just have to heat them up again.
      2012 TT-RS in Suzuka Gray

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 OB Q7 S, 2012 PB TTRS
      10-21-2011 06:29 PM #3
      Anyone hear a weird fan noise when applying throttle, shortly after a cold start? I get this all the time.

Yeah, it takes forever to start up and the brakes squeal like little pigs.

The car is possessed. I'm sure.
      2011 Orca Black Q7 S-Line
      2012 Phantom Black TTRS (Tech Pack, Sport Exhaust Titanium Pack, Heated Seats)
      1999 Spec Miata #46

10-21-2011 06:29 PM #4
      The little brake thing is no big deal to me and I have found that if you put it in neutral, it is nearly imperceptible. Mine has always started right up but I'm used to TDI's and an old 1.8T. It seems just fine to me though. The brakes do squeak during very light pressure super slow crawling speeds. They're fine under all other circumstances.
      2012 TTRS: Daytona Gray, Tech Pack, Heated Alcantara, CF Mirrors, Nexon CF Steering Wheel, DG Rear Valence, wrapped in Avery Dark Grey Matte Metallic and Gloss Black
      GIAC Stage 2, AWE SwitchPath + cat-deletes, AWE FMIC, H&R RSB, MSS Sport Springs, HRE P40, AWE Boost Gauge, Tinted Tails, OSIR Coolant Tank CF Shield
      Winter: Borbet LV5 18x8 et35; Track: TSW Interlagos 18x9.5 et53 w/Mich PSS 275/35

Vehicles
      2012 Audi TTRS, 2012 Audi Q5 2.0TDI S-Line
      10-21-2011 08:23 PM #5
      The brakes are fine on mine, I haven't really noticed any pulsing but I'll keep an eye out. The brakes have also stopped squeeling when I apply them.

It does however take a fair amount of time to start, but that too has gotten a lot better with time. I was a bit concerned, however it's fine now so no "real" problems..

Happy as larry with my baby
      '12 Audi TT RS, Phantom Black, Manual
      Bose Sound System inc Audi Music Interface and TV Reception
      Blackout Pack by GmbH + GmbH 19' Titanium Look Alloy Wheels + Dark Window Tint
      Extended Leather Package With Heated Recaro Bucket Seats + LED Interior Lighting Package
      Adaptive Headlights & Tyre Pressure Monitor

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      10-21-2011 08:35 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by DrDomm View Post
      Anyone hear a weird fan noise when applying throttle, shortly after a cold start? I get this all the time.

Yeah, it takes forever to start up and the brakes squeal like little pigs.

The car is possessed. I'm sure.
      Bed in your brakes! (if you haven't done so already) You can read about these procedures online, but basically you do repeated HARD stops from 60 mph down to 5 mph just short of the ABS threshold ~10 times in short succession to really heat them up, and then drive around to cool them off (don't stop while they're hot).

That should hopefully fix the squealing issues (it did for me, 100%).

Vehicles
      10-21-2011 09:03 PM #7
      Thanks for the feedback.

At least I know now that it's somewhat normal behavior for the TT RS.

I'm really not worried about either item, but I will mention them to the dealer when I bring it in a couple weeks to put on my new tires* for winter.

The squeaky brakes come and go, but are to be expected I figured with a good (high metallic) pad material. Once you bed-in your brakes, as mentioned, you should take care of it (at least for awhile). Mine don't seem to do it quite as often as when I first got the car. I'm at 1800 miles now.

*Michelin PS Sport A/S 255/35/19s on my factory wheels.
      2012 TT RS (Phantom Blk, Tech Pkg, Sport Ti Pkg, Heated Seats, CF Mirrors, Tint, Clearbra)
      2010 GTI (Tornado Red, Loaded, R taillights, OZs, DGs, Blk Roof, LEDs, Tint, Clearbra)

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      10-21-2011 09:12 PM #8
      Thanks for the feedback.

At least I know now that it's somewhat normal behavior for the TT RS.

I'm really not worried about either item, but I will mention them to the dealer when I bring it in a couple weeks to put on my new tires* for winter.

The squeaky brakes come and go, but are to be expected I figured with a good (high metallic) pad material. Once you bed-in your brakes, as mentioned, you should take care of it (at least for awhile). Mine don't seem to do it quite as often as when I first got the car. I'm at 1800 miles now.

*Michelin PS Sport A/S 255/35/19s on my factory wheels.
      My brakes used to squeal like a dump trunk EVERY stop once they got warmed up in stop-and-go traffic. It was driving me crazy to the point that I was researching how to modify the brake shims in the car to add more dampening. (I actually found out that the brake pads are the same size / shape as used in the Subaru STI, which has 2-layer shim structure instead of 1-layer. I ordered the Subaru shims with the intent to swap them in if the squeaking didn't stop.)

Then I bedded in the brakes with repeated hard stops (and a track day), and ever since then they have not squeaked *even once*! Not the slights peep. It's been amazing!

9. Member
      Vehicles
      02 Denim blue 225Q,04 Dolomite grey 225Q,05 Moro blue 225Q,12 Monza Silver RS
      10-21-2011 11:59 PM #9
      Brake problem solved!
      For the slow start, just turn the contact on, put your belt on, and,then, start the engine.
      That gives the fuel pump a few seconds to feed the engine.

My concern/problem is the gas tank,14.5 gallons versus the 16.5 of my mk1's...I loose 50 miles a tank. Now, factor the gas mileage,24.5 mpg,driving on eggs, versus the 28mpg of the mk1...
      It was 400 miles per tank versus 300 miles now, with the RS.

I don't think this car is for a 40,000miles a year driver...shoot...

10-22-2011 06:27 PM #10
      You know, that may be why I'm not experiencing the slow start issue. I've gotten used to turning the key to the on position and waiting just a few seconds before firing it up. I've done it for years on the mkI to let the fuel senders come to life and it is standard procedure on the TDI's as well. I've gotten so used to this I didn't even think of it.
      2012 TTRS: Daytona Gray, Tech Pack, Heated Alcantara, CF Mirrors, Nexon CF Steering Wheel, DG Rear Valence, wrapped in Avery Dark Grey Matte Metallic and Gloss Black
      GIAC Stage 2, AWE SwitchPath + cat-deletes, AWE FMIC, H&R RSB, MSS Sport Springs, HRE P40, AWE Boost Gauge, Tinted Tails, OSIR Coolant Tank CF Shield
      Winter: Borbet LV5 18x8 et35; Track: TSW Interlagos 18x9.5 et53 w/Mich PSS 275/35

Vehicles
      10-22-2011 08:22 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Black BeauTTy View Post
      You know, that may be why I'm not experiencing the slow start issue. I've gotten used to turning the key to the on position and waiting just a few seconds before firing it up. I've done it for years on the mkI to let the fuel senders come to life and it is standard procedure on the TDI's as well. I've gotten so used to this I didn't even think of it.
      Yeah funnily enough that's what I do.. I let the dials do their back and forth thing whiel i plug my iPhone in and hear all the fuel pumps go and everything else, then I start it and she starts perfectly everytime. I probably do it more so just because it's like that race car kind of thing when you flick the fuel switches and it engages, then you can start it. Nice start to the mornings hehe
      Extended Leather Package With Heated Recaro Bucket Seats + LED Interior Lighting Package

12. Member
      10-23-2011 10:39 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
      My brakes squealed like a dump truck for the first 1000 miles I had the car. Then I took it to a track day and really heated up the brakes. Now they're quiet as a mouse...
      You're welcome... and thanks for breaking. I think I cleaned a lot of pads on Saturday!
      2012 TTRS, Ibis, Sport Exhaust Titanium Package, Wing Delete

Vehicles
      '01 S/C VR6 '12 TTRS
      10-23-2011 03:49 PM #13
      Yep I have both the issues posted by the OP

The long start up does not bother me since letting the pump prime seems to work wonders.

The Brake Pedal Vibrations/Pulsations do bother me some and I a wondering if anyone has been to Audi and what they said/did for this??

Thanks..

14. 10-23-2011 05:59 PM #14
      I've only had the long start a couple of times. I have the pulsing brake issue all the time. It feels like my foot is sliding off the brake pad. Very odd.

Something else I noticed with this car is if you have one window rolled all the way down there is incredible vibration. Both windows down and there's no vibration. Only when one window is all the way down. I'm sure this is a known TT issue. Seems like an obvious design flaw.

Vehicles
      2009 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      10-23-2011 07:06 PM #15

1. Pulsing Brake Pedal

Anyone else notice this?

2. Long Start

Anyone else ontice this?
      I have a 2009 TT 3.2 AWD and I have the same pulsating brake feel. It must be the DSG or are you feeling it on a manual?

16. 10-23-2011 07:31 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by orlanderlv View Post
      Something else I noticed with this car is if you have one window rolled all the way down there is incredible vibration. Both windows down and there's no vibration. Only when one window is all the way down. I'm sure this is a known TT issue. Seems like an obvious design flaw.
      That's a carryover from the mk1 TT. If you drive at speed with just one window down it feels like your head will get crushed from the air pressure. If you just crack the other window just a bit it's usually enough to make it more bearable.

Vehicles
      10-23-2011 10:21 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnLZ7W View Post
      That's a carryover from the mk1 TT. If you drive at speed with just one window down it feels like your head will get crushed from the air pressure. If you just crack the other window just a bit it's usually enough to make it more bearable.
      I've noticed even with both windows all the way down that I still get the wind buffetting once the speed gets high enough.

I typically play around with window(s) opening to get the combination to stop the buffetting.

Not a big deal, but noticeable.

Vehicles
      10-23-2011 10:25 PM #18
      I've noticed even with both windows all the way down that I still get the wind buffetting once the speed gets high enough.

I typically play around with window(s) opening to get the combination to stop the buffetting.

How odd, I never get these problems at high speed.. The only problems I've had regarding that is the passenger seatbelt making noise from the wind..

19. 10-24-2011 12:20 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by joshsmith View Post
      How odd, I never get these problems at high speed.. The only problems I've had regarding that is the passenger seatbelt making noise from the wind..
      Tell your passenger to sit still and shut up

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      10-24-2011 01:49 PM #20

Yes, the wind buffeting is terrible. I can't drive on the highway with the windows down. This was especially annoying on the straight sections of the track since I was required to have the windows down.

Perhaps there are some wind deflectors that one can purchase just for track days? I'd be game.

21. 10-24-2011 02:00 PM #21
      At what speed does the buffeting become a problem with both windows down? Of the quirks listed so far, this one has me most concerned...

22. 10-25-2011 06:00 AM #22
      FYI, my car has been in service for three days while the "squeeeeling" brakes issue gets sorted out. I was told today that a special grease had to be ordered for my TTRS. Ok. I should pick it up tomorrow...hopefully sans squeal.

Vehicles
      10-25-2011 08:42 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by fourtunes View Post
      At what speed does the buffeting become a problem with both windows down? Of the quirks listed so far, this one has me most concerned...
      Ok so 210kph is fastest I've now hit. 4th gear rev limiter before I kinda thought about cops sending me to jail hahah.

At like 150+ it buffers like a bitch!! Why's it do that so much?!??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 OB Q7 S, 2012 PB TTRS
      10-25-2011 11:26 AM #24
      Yes, the wind buffeting is terrible. I can't drive on the highway with the windows down. This was especially annoying on the straight sections of the track since I was required to have the windows down.

Perhaps there are some wind deflectors that one can purchase just for track days? I'd be game.
      I can't imagine the RS is different from the S, and I had no problems at 135 and a helmet on. I kinda expected it to be windy.

BTW, I love the little "prime the fuel pump" trick when starting the car...so much quicker to start once you do this.
      2011 Orca Black Q7 S-Line
      2012 Phantom Black TTRS (Tech Pack, Sport Exhaust Titanium Pack, Heated Seats)
      1999 Spec Miata #46

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      10-25-2011 06:36 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by DrDomm View Post
      I can't imagine the RS is different from the S, and I had no problems at 135 and a helmet on. I kinda expected it to be windy.

BTW, I love the little "prime the fuel pump" trick when starting the car...so much quicker to start once you do this.
      The buffeting goes crazy on my car once I hit about 65-70 mph. It's almost painful.

Vehicles
      '01 S/C VR6 '12 TTRS
      10-26-2011 02:21 PM #26
      FYI

If you roll the windows up around 1 inch from the bottom this will completely eliminate the buffetting. I have done it with success at multiple speeds (Below 120MPH)

Above that you really should have the windows up lol

27. Member
      10-26-2011 06:16 PM #27
      Some thoughts:
      - Noticed the long start issue. Will have to try the suggestion.
      - I notice the pedal pulse, and I'm always in neutral when stopped.
      - Bedded the brakes in the first week. Noise went away.
      - The wind buffetting gets absurd at high speed. Feel like my ears will pop, and that's with a full-face helmet on. Will have to try different widow heights.
      - The seatbelts flap like crazy at speed also.
      - Mileage gets better very quickly. I'm at 3K and getting 30+mpg freeway. Yes, this is my DD.
      - Querks? Quarks? _Quirks_.
      - Deep Black Pearl '12 GTI 2.0T DSG
      - Phantom black '12 TT-RS 2.5TQMS
      - Brilliant black '08 A5 3.2QMS
      - Volcano black '99.5 A4 1.8TQM
      - Black '89 80 manual

28. Member
      10-27-2011 12:29 AM #28

Then I bedded in the brakes with repeated hard stops (and a track day), and ever since then they have not squeaked *even once*! Not the slights peep. It's been amazing!
      Big disappointment for me today. Squeal came back just as bad as before our track runs.

Vehicles
      10-27-2011 01:28 AM #29
      In the grand scheme of things with how good the car is; if the worst thing about the car is wind buffetting, some brake squeel, allowing the fuel pumps etc to start before you start the car, we should all be lucky - the car is bloody awesome and for little things like that, I'm just not at all fussed by it because overall I couldn't be happier with it. It could be a lot worse in terms of reliability in that the interior is not at all plasticy or cheap, the car runs perfectly and has no issues (touch wood) and it looks and goes AWESOME!!

People look at these cars and say wow (or wanker in many cases lol) and I think of it as a little mini supercar. I genuinely love my little RS and would gladly wait another 9 months for it.

30. Member
      10-27-2011 10:42 AM #30
      I genuinely love my little RS and would gladly wait another 9 months for it.
      Thinking the same thing myself.

31. 10-27-2011 11:15 AM #31
      In the grand scheme of things with how good the car is; if the worst thing about the car is wind buffetting, some brake squeel, allowing the fuel pumps etc to start before you start the car, we should all be lucky - the car is bloody awesome and for little things like that, I'm just not at all fussed by it because overall I couldn't be happier with it. It could be a lot worse in terms of reliability in that the interior is not at all plasticy or cheap, the car runs perfectly and has no issues (touch wood) and it looks and goes AWESOME!!
      Having spent the last two years of my life with an S5, the quirks mentioned so far really are minor annoyances, if even that. Bedding new brake rotors/pads is a good idea on any car, and having to give the fuel pumps a bit of time isn't the end of the world, either. I'm still mildly concerned about the buffeting, but then the S5 isn't completely devoid of this problem, either.

I suggest reading up on S5 (especially 2008/2009 S5, 4.2 TFSI V8 and general B8 platform) quirks to put the above into perspective.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991/2011 MINI S
      10-27-2011 11:24 AM #32
      Almost every modern car I've had (last 15 years or so) has had interior buffetting with windows down at some speed. Aerodynamics have become important to the overall performance and gas mileage figures, cars are designed with their windows CLOSED. Don't know why it is a surprise that weird things happen when you go fast with them down, in fact all of my cars have been fine up to around 50-60, above that not so much. The last one I tracked was my Cayman S. It didn't have as much buffetting as the RS does, but with a helmet on and concentrating on the "line" I didn't even notice what was left. I think it's a non-issue to complain about.
      Houston, TX
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991

33. 10-27-2011 12:16 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by mtbscoTT View Post
      Almost every modern car I've had (last 15 years or so) has had interior buffetting with windows down at some speed. Aerodynamics have become important to the overall performance and gas mileage figures, cars are designed with their windows CLOSED. Don't know why it is a surprise that weird things happen when you go fast with them down, in fact all of my cars have been fine up to around 50-60, above that not so much. The last one I tracked was my Cayman S. It didn't have as much buffetting as the RS does, but with a helmet on and concentrating on the "line" I didn't even notice what was left. I think it's a non-issue to complain about.
      Sure. But if the buffeting gets unbearable at 50-60, rather than above 50-60, it can easily take away from the fun during daily driving. I drive with my windows down for most of the year (thanks to CA's almost complete lack of seasons, and understanding fully what it does to the car's aerodynamics), and it makes up a large part of the enjoyment I derive from a car.

All that said, I haven't driven a TT, yet, so I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Chances are it won't be that bad, anyhow.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      10-27-2011 06:45 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by mkauzer View Post
      Big disappointment for me today. Squeal came back just as bad as before our track runs.
      My brakes just started making slight squeaking Moises every now and then yesterday, so I may be in the same boat soon. It's still WAY better than it was before the track event, but it may get louder over time... The event in January at Thunderhill should take care of that.

35. 10-27-2011 06:58 PM #35
      My brakes just started making slight squeaking Moises every now and then yesterday, so I may be in the same boat soon. It's still WAY better than it was before the track event, but it may get louder over time...

The event in January at Thunderhill should take care of that.
      It isn't uncommon for aggressive pad compounds to need a re-bed if you're not using getting them up to temp frequently. Usually just day-to-day commuting will lose all of the bedded material on the rotor and you'll have to re-bed to desqueak. At least it's a fun process

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast