Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project 97 A8: Grape Ape

Vehicles
      Corrado SLC, Audi A8 QUATTRO
      10-22-2011 04:19 PM #1
      Well, I picked up this 1997 A8 Quattro for a steal, and as a Corrado owner I am a Masochist already . 160K On the clock, and it's a little rough.

I manage Full Throttle of Orlando, luckily have a discount on parts through various suppliers including the dealerships, so I will make the best of it.

Here are a few pics:

Parts stash and ready for when I can get it on the rack at work:
      Timing Belt
      Trans Pan Gasket, Filter, Fluid for a Trans Service
      Water Pump
      P/S Lines (Good god they were expensive)
      Zimmerman Cross Drilled/Pagid Pads
      Thermostat
      DS Outer CV Boot
      Passenger Axle
      Valve Cover Gaskets
      Timing Chains
      And I still need to get more......(A8 is still not that bad, just needs love)

2nd Repair being done today. Previous Fuel Pump Replacement with a F***ed up Sending unit cap that looked plastic welded well it leaks and smells.

Work so far.....MAF, Plugs, Air Filter, Oil Change w/ Amsoil 5W40 Synthetic, resetting the service interval light, I found a lot of the typical problems:
      Leaky Oil Cooler
      Brakes
      Bushings
      Missing stuff
      Headliner Falling
      DS Rear Seat Heater Not Working
      Air Bag Sensor for Rear Seat
      ABS Wheel Speed Sensor
      Pulled CEL Bulb
      Armrest missing (this one hurts, because even at cost it is over $1500....)

I recoded the transmission to 00012, and love the difference that made. I have my old 2000 A6 4.2 Key fob programmed and recut for a flip key. Car came with a Valet Key and a 97 Remote that does not work.

This is going to be fun.......so pull up a chair, and even though this forum is slow, I would welcome any tips or tricks besides the ones I found on the internet.

Also, for anyone else working on one of these cars, I found Audi Pages to be the sickest resource for the common things.

More to come.
      |Corrado SLC 2.9LVR6|Corrado Keyless Entry | A8 "Grape Ape" | SPOONFEDTUNING |FOURSEASONTUNING|DUBNUTZ|
      Quote Originally Posted by pileofredparts View Post
      Do you guys remember the time that Ryan kid started mixing and matching rods and end caps and then his motor wouldnt turn over? I do

Vehicles
      10-23-2011 06:04 PM #2
      Well Fuel Sending Unit Cap was only the first of 2 repairs needed. Sending unit on passenger side was apparently pulled out by the dumb previous tech who worked on the Fuel pump for the P/O. Sending unit gasket will be here tomorrow.

Note the awesomeness.

Upgraded to some 8000k HID's.

Big Servicing coming up.
      |Corrado SLC 2.9LVR6|Corrado Keyless Entry | A8 "Grape Ape" | SPOONFEDTUNING |FOURSEASONTUNING|DUBNUTZ|
      Do you guys remember the time that Ryan kid started mixing and matching rods and end caps and then his motor wouldnt turn over? I do

3. 10-23-2011 07:46 PM #3
      your car looks great, so what mods are you planning to do to it? i already started looking at s8 brake conversions, h&r lowering kits and a 6 speed conversion.

Vehicles
      10-23-2011 09:44 PM #4
      Thank you sir and congrats on your pick up, def a deal for these cars now. 90K is Timing Belt time, do it now, and a transmission service to prolong the trans. Your 01 model is a 40V, I am kinda digging the non chain tensioner set up of my 32V.

Once the maintenance is up to snuff, not really sure about how extreme I want to go with this thing. Sure a few mods are nice, but a Manual Swap in a 97 is not easy, nor a quick project so that is just a maybe, or rather when (not if) the Auto KERPLODES. I need to redo the headliner, as it is falling so my first focus is on clean up.

Have some 19x9" BBR (not a mistake for BBS, totally different wheel) that I have held onto for the last 10 years. They were on my Previous A4, A6, and Test Fitted on my 89 200 (only the fronts cleared the fenders), so they will be at home on the A8!

The wheels:

+ Lowering once the more important items are addressed.
      Last edited by DUBZAK; 10-23-2011 at 09:46 PM.

5. 10-25-2011 01:03 PM #5
      nicely done so far. im working on a 99 A8.

Vehicles
      10-29-2011 09:32 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by icrashcars View Post
      nicely done so far. im working on a 99 A8.
      Good Luck to you.

More neglect uncovered. Really just a bad choice in letting the wrong person work on this car.

D/S Sending unit was hand tightened with no seal (It was floating in the tank). Fixed that issue and now am fighting with the fuel pump. It works fine above 2/3 of a tank then makes a wonderful wine and conks out. Have technically ran out of gas with it.

Luckily scored a sending unit and pump housing (sans pump) 2nd hand. (Pump retails for $950 ). I am looking to see if another pump fits in the housing (just in case).
      Next fuel fixing fun is pulling the other tank sending unit and pump combination out and seeing what is what.

Did a transmission service today. Pan was rusted so it was ground down, and repainted before reinstall. Proper filter and ATF-1 Pentosin Trans Fluid also used. ONLY use proper part number Pentosin or OEM fluid for these transmissions. Verdict on the 160K mile transmission is still out, have only a few miles on it since.

19" Wheels need more love according to the first refurbish estimate, they want to replace a lip and barrel and they are only slight bends. Looking at other options.

Still more to come.

Vehicles
      82 caddy aba ,80 caddy vrsportruck, 81 caddy 1.8t ,90 cabby aba 16vt ,97 jetta vr6t ,97 a4,01 T4
      11-05-2011 10:41 AM #7
      i picked up an a8 with a blown trans (clutch basket a), got it for a steal as well. I ended up using royal purple atf in my car. (the track reccord with the audi fluid isn't all that great) 4000 miles and not a single complaint.
      Recoding definitely woke the car up!

looks good, glad to see the d2 forums getting used

not to be a buzzkill, but don't be suprised if that trans drops out sometime soon. Did you break the filter and see what came out?

the p/o of mine ran the trans out of fluid, luckily the repairs weren't too expensive. I think the new clutch basket in my trans is a revision part number (had an asterix next to it, there were 2 to choose from, so I picked that one) New TC, car shifts like butter, pulls like a champ.

i'm also having the same fuel pump problem as you minus the ****ed up cap. When i hit 120 miles left, the car seems to run out of fuel. When i get some time, i'm going to do some diagnosis on the transfer pump

Last edited by YUENGLINGMIKE!; 11-05-2011 at 10:44 AM.
      The young Bob Barker, the price is right

BallsDeepSquad.

Vehicles
      11-07-2011 11:40 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by YUENGLINGMIKE! View Post
      i picked up an a8 with a blown trans (clutch basket a), got it for a steal as well. I ended up using royal purple atf in my car. (the track reccord with the audi fluid isn't all that great) 4000 miles and not a single complaint.
      Recoding definitely woke the car up!
      00011 Is indeed the Wake Up Call the car needed. Pulling out in traffic with standard coding was scary. I like the "Touring Car Feel" of holding the gear to get back on throttle.

looks good, glad to see the d2 forums getting used

not to be a buzzkill, but don't be suprised if that trans drops out sometime soon. Did you break the filter and see what came out?
      I am well aware after a $11,000.00 Audi Dealer Transmission Replacement Repair to my A6 4.2 back in 2003.

I did not break the filter but the trans had been serviced previously, and the magnets in the pan were not as fuzzy with shavings as I have seen previously. This one may go, bit it still has life left in it. Hopefully enough life for me to get my Corrado back on the road, and get a nice 6 Speed manual swap together for this monster.

the p/o of mine ran the trans out of fluid, luckily the repairs weren't too expensive. I think the new clutch basket in my trans is a revision part number (had an asterix next to it, there were 2 to choose from, so I picked that one) New TC, car shifts like butter, pulls like a champ.
      You really lucked out!!!

i'm also having the same fuel pump problem as you minus the ****ed up cap. When i hit 120 miles left, the car seems to run out of fuel. When i get some time, i'm going to do some diagnosis on the transfer pump

I am about to pull the pump out and take a look, and will gladly share . AFAICR there is no transfer pump, or I cannot find it on my parts diagrams (waiting for my ETKA to work again).

Vehicles
      11-07-2011 11:43 AM #9
      20"x9" and 20"x10" Lowenhart LDR
      255/35 Front and 295/30 Pirelli PZero Tires. Rolling diameter only differs by .06", well within rear diff tolerance specs.

Maintenance first, then some coilovers.

I will say this to myself....

"L0W3R 1T"

Vehicles
      82 caddy aba ,80 caddy vrsportruck, 81 caddy 1.8t ,90 cabby aba 16vt ,97 jetta vr6t ,97 a4,01 T4
      11-07-2011 01:22 PM #10
      I did all the labor on mine, bill ended up being $1800 for a rebuild, and new tc

I recoded mine after I put a few miles on it.

Also, theres a dude on the classifieds that has a set of H&R's for $500.

BallsDeepSquad.

Vehicles
      11-07-2011 04:33 PM #11
      Yeah, but he wants stock suspension. I am not trading that stuff just in case.

Vehicles
      01 S8 11 Golf TDI 77 rabbit in pieces behind garage.
      11-08-2011 01:40 PM #12
      Nice job. I picked up a 01 S8 with 147k. It needed a few mechanical parts replaced and a few more to come.
      Not much in the way of choices for suspension. Coilovers or stock with the bilstiens hd about the only thing for struts.
      Been looking at a 6 speed conversion when the tranny gives up the ghost. Have report from dealer P.O serviced it at that they felt it needed to be replaced. They did the service upgrade repair to it at that time.
      It does clunk when going from reverse to drive once in a while but seems fine otherwise.
      Do know from the little bit of research I've done that any pedal cluster from a s4 will bolt in. You need the rear carrier with the gearing that matches the tranny. Also something about my car being a s model makes it easier to do the swap as I don't have to do anything but disable a few points in my computer for everything to work.

Vehicles
      11-08-2011 03:41 PM #13
      I believe all face lift models have a little bit easier swap than pre face lift. Its whatever though...not going to deter me.

Trans is running smoother and smoother every day, but I have to replace the pan anyway because the amount of rust I cleaned off it, was why it was sealed. Drip still haunting it.

Vehicles
      11-16-2011 04:37 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by brad131a4 View Post
      Nice job. I picked up a 01 S8 with 147k. It needed a few mechanical parts replaced and a few more to come.
      Not much in the way of choices for suspension. Coilovers or stock with the bilstiens hd about the only thing for struts.
      Been looking at a 6 speed conversion when the tranny gives up the ghost. Have report from dealer P.O serviced it at that they felt it needed to be replaced. They did the service upgrade repair to it at that time.
      It does clunk when going from reverse to drive once in a while but seems fine otherwise.
      Do know from the little bit of research I've done that any pedal cluster from a s4 will bolt in. You need the rear carrier with the gearing that matches the tranny. Also something about my car being a s model makes it easier to do the swap as I don't have to do anything but disable a few points in my computer for everything to work.
      the engine in your car has the same flywheel bolt pattern as an s4 flywheel

BallsDeepSquad.

Vehicles
      11-16-2011 11:40 PM #15

Yup, no transfer pump.

I found the pump not in the housing correctly. It seems that the venturi effect is done through a one way valve and series of hoses inside the tank. This transfers the fuel from the one tank into the other until empty.

I will let you know how it goes, but I am certain the pump not being in place is why the car "runs out of fuel" at 2/3's of a tank.

Vehicles
      11-20-2011 01:48 PM #16
      so, i should look at the drivers side pump?
      or.. ps?

BallsDeepSquad.

Vehicles
      11-20-2011 10:40 PM #17
      so, i should look at the drivers side pump?
      or.. ps?
      There is only one pump, but 2 sending units.

On the PS pump/sending unit combo, the pump may not be in the pump housing correctly. That's all that was wrong with mine. Pull it out and check. If you are low enough on fuel, examine the rest of the pump housing and the hoses connecting the 2 tanks and the one way valve.

Vehicles
      11-22-2011 10:39 AM #18
      Well not out of the wood yet on this Fueling issue. Now at about 1/4 tank, fuel pump is humming again. But at least I can pull the pump out without the tank being really full.

Going to get a better look soon.

Pics for Clicks.

Vehicles
      11-22-2011 06:29 PM #19
      PS with some Rake and Lows.

Vehicles
      11-24-2011 06:21 PM #20
      Well D/S ABS Speed Sensor needs to be drilled out So that Flashing Brake/ABS Light will finally go out.

Passenger Axle Replaced.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
      Last edited by DUBZAK; 12-03-2011 at 08:26 PM.

Vehicles
      12-03-2011 08:28 PM #21
      Finally removed the remaining guts of the Wheel Speed Sensor, new was installed today. ABS light is off.

Drivers Side outer boot needed to be done anyway so that was handled as well.

Front Rotors are now Zimmerman Cross drilled and Coated, and OEM Pagid Pads installed, pad wear sensor light is out now as well.

More coming soon.

Vehicles
      12-06-2011 05:44 PM #22

23. 01-01-2012 02:07 AM #23
      That photo shop pic is a money shot for sure

Vehicles
      '03 Renault Clio RS 172
      01-07-2012 06:18 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by DUBZAK View Post
      I call PS!

25. n00b
      Vehicles
      '96 Audi A4 B5 2,6 QS,'01 Audi S8 D2
      02-19-2012 09:00 AM #25
      The car looks great. The 8k HID's kill it though - why such a high temperature range? Looks way too purple to be useful on a pitch-black night, on a bad road.
      2001 Audi S8 Quattro 4,2 V8 40V Daily.
      1996 Audi A4 Quattro 4,2 V8 32V - S8-Powered Touring Car Build In Progress.

Vehicles
      02-20-2012 11:16 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Yugoslavia! View Post
      I call PS!
      Why, because all the pixels in the Red LED Display still work unlike most A4, A6 and TT's.

Quote Originally Posted by Nollywood View Post
      The car looks great. The 8k HID's kill it though - why such a high temperature range? Looks way too purple to be useful on a pitch-black night, on a bad road.
      I thought the 8000K would be purple too, but it is really more Blue/White and has subsided to a more relaxed color the more they are used. I also switched to a digital ballast since that pic.

Never need the high beams though.

Quote Originally Posted by Devinadidas15 View Post

I am working on my Corrado more while I drive this thing daily. Serpentine tension system needs EVERYTHING replaced and it sounds like a diesel with the rattles.

Love this car though...

Vehicles
      90' Corrado m62
      03-06-2012 09:51 PM #27
      Pretty sure how you came up with that name

Vehicles
      03-06-2012 11:10 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by g60301 View Post
      Oh yeah? Please elaborate......

Scored big. B5 S4 Six Speed. Need a European S8 flywheel.

Vehicles
      04-10-2012 12:34 PM #29
      Well, Torque Converter or Shift Drum for 1st gear let go last night in a parking lot at 5 MPH. I was rolling off throttle, then got back on and 1st gear hammered so fahkin hard.....Yup. Will not hold 1st over 1500 RPM.

So, Looking to finish up this manual swap and get back to enjoying this as my Daily Driver.

Trans from 01 S4 in my possession. Flywheel from European S8/S6+ On the way from UK:

Need some B5 S4 Shift Linkage, Shifter assembly, and drive shaft. If you have any leads on these, let me know.

Doin' W3rk

Vehicles
      91 JDM Corrado, 98 Subaru Legacy
      04-11-2012 11:35 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by g60301 View Post
      racism is how...

Vehicles
      04-11-2012 11:41 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
      racism is how...
      No. Not here. Not Ever. Maybe because the car is the same color as the actual Cartoon Character.

Anyway JamesS, you were wondering why I no work on Corrado? Because A8.

32. 05-19-2012 06:51 PM #32
      so is there updates?

Vehicles
      05-24-2012 05:27 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by fvtec View Post
      so is there updates?
      I got the flywheel!

Yeah, I drove this thing to SoWo with 1st not holding above 1500RPM.

Ripped up the mountain in Helen because QUATTRO, and had a great trip there and back even with a broke transmission.

Working on the Corrado to get on daily duties for a little while, then green light on this things manual swap.

Vehicles
      91 Audi D11 V8, 71 Super, 07 E320 Bluetec, 05.5 Jetta 2.5
      06-15-2012 10:54 PM #34
      if possible, could you document the entire 6 speed swap?

dream of doing one to a s8

Vehicles
      01-19-2013 05:34 PM #35
      As my Corrado continues to drain the wallet, the remaining items needed for the manual are still on the back burner. Maybe by SoWo this year. Big Maybe.

But, have her at work today, doing some thangs......

No heat except for heated seats right now. (Florida, I'll live) Have to replace a temp sensor and one of the positioning motors for the fresh air flap.

Swapping out the Fuel Pump housing because the pump keeps backing out of it, and the car having the "Run out of fuel at a 1/2 tank syndrome" again is annoying. Especially at 23MPG.

Quote Originally Posted by 71DubBugBug View Post
      if possible, could you document the entire 6 speed swap?

dream of doing one to a s8
      There are already countless write ups on people doing this, I am one of a few willing to do it, but it can most certainly get done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast