Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Realistic Car drawings

Vehicles
      2001 Audi A4 TQMS, 2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder
      10-22-2011 09:49 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by przemson View Post
      Any comments are welcome
      Not to bash your work, it is technically proficient, but you're basically taking someone else's art, a photograph, and copying it in a different medium. It's a good exercise, but I would encourage you to explore observational drawing of real life objects and coming up with new and interesting compositions or ideas.
      Do not be persecuted by the pompous fedora, balanced by the equilibrium, fortified by the
      government's inability to eradicate, or foreshadow—taken from the Hebrew word: foreskin

10-22-2011 09:57 PM #37
      Talk about patience! Awesome.
      2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring

10-22-2011 10:16 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by bmann View Post
      Not to bash your work, it is technically proficient, but you're basically taking someone else's art, a photograph, and copying it in a different medium. It's a good exercise, but I would encourage you to explore observational drawing of real life objects and coming up with new and interesting compositions or ideas.
      Most automotive artists work from photos. I personally know quite a few of them as I was once on the art selection committee for the Meadow Brook Concours. All of the AFAS artists I've met work from photos, so I don't understand your point. Replicating a photograph is a very difficult thing to pull off, so it's not mere copying.

Here's a painting that was made from a photograph I took. The artist borrowed the work for a show of AFAS artists and they placed it in the show's most prominent spot. I don't think that drawing from photographs is frowned upon in the automotive fine art world.

Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

10-22-2011 10:22 PM #39
      This is the photo I took.

Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2012 Tiguan SEL
      10-22-2011 10:24 PM #40
      can you explain your process?
      after seeing the photo and then your drawing i can't help but think it's traced.

the attention to detail is remarkable, i would love to know how you do it and how long it takes you

10-22-2011 10:48 PM #41
      We're about to find out. I've commissioned our new friend from Poland to do a black and white drawing of a color photograph for me. He's agreed to send me progress pictures. Maybe he'll post a narrative with them.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

7. 10-23-2011 01:15 AM #42
      I wil try to show you the whole process on Barrys car drawing.
      Starting from Wednesday.

Vehicles
      10-23-2011 03:58 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      Most automotive artists work from photos. I personally know quite a few of them as I was once on the art selection committee for the Meadow Brook Concours. All of the AFAS artists I've met work from photos, so I don't understand your point. Replicating a photograph is a very difficult thing to pull off, so it's not mere copying.
      If it's common in the market it I'm not going to **** on przemson's thread but I'd be interested in exploring this topic if you want to make a thread in the Art/Design forum.
      Do not be persecuted by the pompous fedora, balanced by the equilibrium, fortified by the
      government's inability to eradicate, or foreshadow—taken from the Hebrew word: foreskin

Vehicles
      1998 (USDM) E36 BMW 323is
      10-23-2011 04:06 AM #44
      My contribution;

"Senna" 35" x 21"
      NYKWHY | fb Library
      98/E36 | Think the ocean is deep?
      92/AE101 | Walk the outer edges of the galaxy.

10-23-2011 01:51 PM #45
      If it's common in the market it I'm not going to **** on przemson's thread but I'd be interested in exploring this topic if you want to make a thread in the Art/Design forum.
      Not only is it common, it's the norm. It has been the norm for hundreds of years. The great Dutch Master, Vermeer, used Optic Obscurahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_obscurato produce what some would call the finest works of the era. I don't see how this would change the value of the hand work.

Here's a perfect example. I own the original of Dan McCrary's "Exhausted", that was clearly done from a photograph. That's why the reflections are so accurate. This is a watercolor, BTW.

Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      10-23-2011 02:12 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      Not only is it common, it's the norm. It has been the norm for hundreds of years. The great Dutch Master, Vermeer, used Optic Obscurahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_obscurato produce what some would call the finest works of the era. I don't see how this would change the value of the hand work.
      At that time, camera obscura was a tool for artists to create a more realistic painting. Now, thanks to the invention of the camera, creating realistic artwork is just a matter of pushing a button and developing film or transferring files. The artistic element is not gone though, as the photographer has to study light, color, composition to create their work.

Many will use a photo as a reference for something more abstract or a different piece altogether.
      If you are copying someone else's photo, you are not doing any of the creative parts of creating artwork, instead taking the place of Kinko's. Yes, it's a laborious task to do by hand and not everyone has the patience or skill with a pencil.

Vehicles
      10-23-2011 03:17 PM #47
      I'll speculate that in the case of a classic car photo, what is gained from a manual reproduction is a romantic and nostalgic look and feel that is consistent with the subject matter. It also allows the artist to enhance that feel with abstraction. Faces are indistinct, unnecessary details are removed. It changes from a photo of a specific event, "your car" and "your wife," to a timeless photo of "a car" and "a woman." It could be anyone at any point in time. Furthermore, if you took the photo and commissioned a manual reproduction, the piece has added meaning to you. All valid and good things.
      Last edited by bmann; 10-23-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Vehicles
      04 jetta 2.0, 04 GLI, 07 GTI 2.0T, 91 Cabrio, 07 jetta wolfsburg, 09 jetta 2.5, 10 Sportwagen TDi
      10-23-2011 03:37 PM #48
      Those are nice man... what size paper do you mostly use? and are those pencil drawings or paint?
      rated .:R

Vehicles
      2008 A4 S-Line Titanium QTM, 2000 A4 QTM, 1993 Audi 90S (sold), 1992 Toyota Corolla
      10-23-2011 03:37 PM #49
      Wow man you are seriously talented! I love your work That RS5... OMG
      Unf*ckwithable

10-23-2011 03:52 PM #50
      I'll speculate that in the case of a classic car photo, what is gained from a manual reproduction is a romantic and nostalgic look and feel that is consistent with the subject matter. It also allows the artist to enhance that feel with abstraction. Faces are indistinct, unnecessary details are removed. It changes from a photo of a specific event, "your car" and "your wife," to a timeless photo of "a car" and "a woman." It could be anyone at any point in time. Furthermore, if you took the photo and commissioned a manual reproduction, the piece has added meaning to you. All valid and good things.
      Great response. You obviously understand that art, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Here's another pencil drawing that we have. The detail and composition is so fine that it looks like a photograph. This artist, too, uses photos of reality and combines them for his final layout. This is so far beyond the threshold of copying that I truly consider it art.

http://www.bjurstromstudio.com/

Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

16. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      10-23-2011 04:12 PM #51

that's pretty cool.

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

17. 10-23-2011 04:26 PM #52
      Thank you guys for all the good words
      And thanks Barry
      I can just say that the only way( for me) to do a good detailed car drawing is to use a good high resolution images. I wont seat in the street in front of ferrari for the whole day to catch some nice reflections
      There is no fun for me to draw apples and bottles in my own made composition.

Vehicles
      IV Hatchgone, E39
      10-23-2011 04:42 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by VierSpeed View Post

Very nice.
      I will seriously pay you for this drawing.
      FS?

fantastic
      Quote Originally Posted by dangerkart View Post
      they give us a beer icon so we can feel established and accomplish the art of manliness
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      You can take the driver out of the Honda but you can't take the Honda out of the driver.
      vw.

10-23-2011 04:49 PM #54
      Do you have access to having giclees done of your work? They can be sold inexpensively and still give you a nice return on your efforts. I only collect original artwork, but many prefer prints.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      10-23-2011 05:15 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Tiny4cyl View Post
      Came for this.

Also acceptable:

10-23-2011 05:19 PM #56
      Love that episode.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

22. 10-25-2011 02:54 PM #57
      Hi guys

Just added a new drawing
      Porsche 917 from 24h Le Mans rece

http://przemus.deviantart.com/

Vehicles
      09 A3 2.0t Q, 09 TIG 2.0t 4MO,77 cb 750k cafe
      10-25-2011 03:01 PM #58
      Hi guys

Just added a new drawing
      Porsche 917 from 24h Le Mans rece

http://przemus.deviantart.com/

Favorite car evar!! love the work

Vehicles
      2003 Jeep GC 4.0, 2002 Maxima SE
      10-25-2011 03:21 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Tiny4cyl View Post
      It's realistic. Body. Four wheels. Antenna to pick up FM radio (perhaps in HD?) A bubble for you and your passenger. Hey, it's a clearly a car.
      and horns here, here, and here.

Philly (now) <--> Bangkok 5555555 (later)
      Vehicles
      2000 Honda CRV SE / 2013 Toyota Yaris / 2007 Kawasaki Ninja (DOA), 2005 Team Associated RC18t
      10-25-2011 04:37 PM #60
      I wil try to show you the whole process on Barrys car drawing.
      Starting from Wednesday.
      watching...
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam Carolla
      "It shouldn't be called a radar detector, it should be called a rape detector. This is my own little electronic rape whistle."
      (ง'̀-'́)ง

10-25-2011 04:50 PM #61
      I can't wait. This is the picture that he will be turning into a black and white drawing for me. For those that have seen the other pieces that I've commissioned, my wife has always been in the finished picture. It's my way of immortalizing her. I've done that in a number of medium, including a life-cast of her head and her hands. Those freaked her mother out, but it's really no different than all the portraits of wives you see in museums that were commissioned by men of means.

This photo is very special to me because I nearly lost her to cancer last year about this time. This picture has special significance to me because she was back on her feet, fit, healthy and getting back into the classic car world we share and immensely enjoy. It's special in another way because my wife and I physically built the house in the background. One of these days I'll post the build on that.

Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

10-25-2011 05:28 PM #62
      This is the one by Etienne. It's all CG. It lacks the richness of a pencil drawing or painting. I like it, but I don't love it. It's highly detailed, but lacks that final finesse that hand work provides.

Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

28. Banned
      10-25-2011 10:59 PM #63
      wow, awesome drawings

Vehicles
      Protegé
      10-25-2011 11:19 PM #64
      That Porsche 917 is just amazing

30. Member
      Vehicles
      '08 GTI, '65 Beetle
      10-25-2011 11:24 PM #65
      Hi guys,
      Just wanted to show you some of my car drawings.

Please come and see:

http://przemus.deviantart.com/gallery

Hope you like them

Any comments are welcome
      wow dude you have some serious talent. I saved the majority of those
      coolwater

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Jenks
      lol an owner of a MK3 and then MKV has no right to speak in public.
      you drive an egg on wheels. eggman.

Vehicles
      '07 GTI (Sold.), '02 Miata (Sold.), '13 Scion FR-S
      10-26-2011 12:01 AM #66
      Drawing from a photo (without tracing) isn't easy.

These are spectacular.

I wish I had kept drawing because of you.

Damn.

32. 10-26-2011 02:23 AM #67
      Thanks guys not very modest but I'm very happy with the final result

10-26-2011 08:13 AM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by KeiCar View Post
      watching...
      It begins with a sketch to make sure the proportions are correct. Everything is freehand from this point.

Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      90 turbo miata - 87 325is - 13 Mustang GT
      10-26-2011 08:37 AM #69
      Amazing work! When it comes to drawing cars, using reference photos is usually the only option. Odds are the car you want to draw is hard to find parked outside where you can observe it, and the owner might not want you sitting in his garage for a couple days. Even when the photo and the finished drawing look very similar, there were still dozens of decisions and compromises the artist did to recreate and interpret what was in the photo. Even if the photo was straight up traced, you can't trace a shade gradient, it takes a lot of talent to get it to look right.
      Current Stable: 13' Mustang GT, 87 325is, 90 Miata
      Gone but not Forgotten: 88 M5, 69 MG, 98 Golf, 07 GTI, 10 CC

DIYautoFTW Your online build and DIY resource

Vehicles
      A old saab Turbo.
      10-26-2011 09:14 AM #70
      Where can i give you money for some of your fantastic work?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbiodiesel! View Post
      I have been drunk many a time, but I can't say I've ever had the urge to sexually abuse a wild animal.
      |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast