Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many psi do you guys with 17/22's hold and spike?

Vehicles
      1999.5 Jetta TDI 5spd, MODDED
      10-24-2011 10:09 AM #1
      Last edited by 85_305; 10-24-2011 at 02:12 PM.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      10-24-2011 01:58 PM #2
      im with the other guys now.. you post too much..

quit posting up new threads, and actually go do something to your car..

quit pondering your build for christ sake, and get started..

im sure im not the only one that has gotten tired of your countless threads about nothing..

now, do yourself, and all of us a BIG FAVOR, and go work on your car..

Vehicles
      10-24-2011 02:13 PM #3
      Nobodies forcing you to read my threads.
      Nobodies forcing you to reply to my threads.
      Dont like it? Dont read it. Read it and still dont like it? Dont reply.

I'm not going to just jump and start buying parts without researching them first, and be a sheep like the rest of the folks on the 'club. Hell, maybe I wont even go big-turbo and just brag about my stock-turbed alh that will smack down big-turbo'd cars on the track and the dyno!

Thanks.
      Last edited by 85_305; 10-24-2011 at 02:27 PM.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      10-24-2011 02:41 PM #4
      someone will get tired of you wasting space for pointless threads eventually..

why dont you just plan a build, then build it?

instead of contemplating 37,000 different builds..

i really wasnt trying to be mean..

but open up the diesel section in here, almost half of the threads on page 1 were started by you..

Vehicles
      10-24-2011 07:36 PM #5
      I'm trying to plan a build, but you and that other clown are jumping all over me and telling me to 'just build it'. I dont make hasty maneuvers and I dont act before I think. This car has been well planned out since the beginning and wont stop being so now

6. 10-25-2011 02:30 PM #6
      Your like a bad rash that wont go away. Damn man build the freeking car already. Did you not get run off tdiclub for the same crap.

Maybe put all your questions in one thread. Its just a tdi its not rocket science. If you want over 190 reliable hp you need a bigger turbo than a 17/22 period. If you want a rock solid 170 hp the 17/22 is for you.

My 17/22 does not spike or surge with malone tuning or rocketchip tuning. I put down 180 at the wheels and 300 tq with a 17/22 11mm and pp764s it was smoke free runing 28psi with rocketchip stage 5. The peak cylinder preasures were high and it poped the head gasket about every 45k miles with stock cr and arp head studs. Yes it still lifted the head with arp studs.

I have never dynoed my malone tune but the power is about the same.

If you want to run over 25 psi you need bigger than a 17/22 and a reduced cr or you will pop the head gasket.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      10-25-2011 03:11 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by vw tdi guy View Post
      Your like a bad rash that wont go away. Damn man build the freeking car already. Did you not get run off tdiclub for the same crap.

Maybe put all your questions in one thread. Its just a tdi its not rocket science. If you want over 190 reliable hp you need a bigger turbo than a 17/22 period. If you want a rock solid 170 hp the 17/22 is for you.

My 17/22 does not spike or surge with malone tuning or rocketchip tuning. I put down 180 at the wheels and 300 tq with a 17/22 11mm and pp764s it was smoke free runing 28psi with rocketchip stage 5. The peak cylinder preasures were high and it poped the head gasket about every 45k miles with stock cr and arp head studs. Yes it still lifted the head with arp studs.

If you want to run over 25 psi you need bigger than a 17/22 and a reduced cr or you will pop the head gasket.
      the vnt17 hot side gets REALLY RESTRICTIVE in the upper RPMs with high boost.. exhaust manifold pressure gets excessively high, and in turn, peak cylinder pressures are higher too, because the exhaust evacuation is less complete, because of the high manifold (drive) pressure..

you will blow head gaskets.

and if you have a 52mm wheel in your vnt, then you basically already have a 17/22 hybrid..

the Street Toys Hybrid 17/52 (17/22) specs and ratings directly from his website:

The 17-52(22) uses the VNT-17 exhaust, manifold, and actuator, and the 52mm compressor wheel and housing from the VNT-22. This provides faster spooling than a stock 17, and can reliably produce up to 170 hp with upgraded nozzles, exhaust and tuning. The 17-52(22) turbo can run boost up to 24 PSI.

so, that should tell you something about the turbo, and its capabilities..

Vehicles
      10-25-2011 07:03 PM #8

I'm a bad rash that wont go away? hahaha thats funny... go be a sheep on the 'club. Do you realize how many vendors bash all the retarded, ridiculous sheeple on tdiclub for the same exact reasons I do (they just aren't outspoken of it in public, this nobody knows or cares, but the principle remains the same..)?

Are you seriously trying to tell me to go and build my car? No offense, but my stock turbo'd alh on STOCK BOOST (16psi) put down 153/270... your 'big turbo' and huge injectors with a fat injection pump put down a whopping 27hp and 30ft/lbs of torque more than my STOCK turbo did with HALF the boost, half the injection pump, and half the injectors. Boy, dont tell me how to build a car. And once I cam my car, I have damn near 100% faith that my STOCK TURBO'd, STOCK 10mm IP, tiny-ass off-branded injectors will put down exactly what your car with a big turbo, huge injection pump, and huge injectors puts down. How's that for engineering a car?

Quote Originally Posted by Glegor View Post
      the vnt17 hot side gets REALLY RESTRICTIVE in the upper RPMs with high boost.. exhaust manifold pressure gets excessively high, and in turn, peak cylinder pressures are higher too, because the exhaust evacuation is less complete, because of the high manifold (drive) pressure..

you will blow head gaskets.

and if you have a 52mm wheel in your vnt, then you basically already have a 17/22 hybrid..

the Street Toys Hybrid 17/52 (17/22) specs and ratings directly from his website:

The 17-52(22) uses the VNT-17 exhaust, manifold, and actuator, and the 52mm compressor wheel and housing from the VNT-22. This provides faster spooling than a stock 17, and can reliably produce up to 170 hp with upgraded nozzles, exhaust and tuning. The 17-52(22) turbo can run boost up to 24 PSI.

so, that should tell you something about the turbo, and its capabilities..
      Realistically speaking, turbo's aren't really 'limited' to horsepower... there's a maximum efficiency a turbo can produce, but really, there aren't 'horsepower limitations'. I've had dozens of sheeple, err, people, on tdiclub tell me that the stock vnt15 is limited to 130hp, and no-way, no-how will I get over 130hp and 240ft/lbs of torque off a stock turbo. Well with all do respect for the people on tdiclub that dont know their heads from their asses (and the people that do know the difference, know who they are..), I'm well over their margin, and I've still got room to spare.

oh ya, did I mention that my dyno numbers were taken when there was no set-screw installed in my turbo, so there were no spikes, and there was nearly no boost produced until 2300rpms? And as we all know, a large spike in boost would create a much larger hp/tq number, and we all know that diesels like to produce their maximum torque at a very low rpm (1700ish on alh TDI's)... therefore I lost some power due to a missing set screw. I cant wait until I get my cam in, with an adjusted vnt and set-screw, running 20lbs of boost, and laughing at all the guys with no engineering in their cars and just big turbos and nozzles, that have the same or less power than my stock-turbo'd car.

Ugg... sorry about the rant, I just get so excited sometimes. So Glegor, are you saying that a 17/22 is a poor upgrade for me?
      Last edited by 85_305; 10-25-2011 at 07:07 PM.

9. 10-26-2011 01:53 AM #9
      30psi all day for 50,xxx miles. No shaft play

Casio Commando using tap talk

10. 10-26-2011 07:55 AM #10
      Lol you think a 17/22 is a big turbo. 11mm pump is not hudge, 764's are small. You really dont know **** do ya. You need to read more. If you want real power skip these timy turbos.
      And wheres your dyno sheet for those numbers you have never posted it that I saw you got banned for all the crap threads you started. Guess my dyno numbers was one and you still never posted a dyno sheet. You seem to be all talk put up or shut up. Any one can type big numbers bro see 20,000,000 hp and 5 gagillion torque its easy see. I have dyno sheets for all my set ups where is yours.

I am far from a sheep. I just removed a vnt25 from my car and I asure you my car has been at levels yours will never see. ALot of people have those right? Under my hood is totally custom I never had to start a million threads to get it there. Its been over 200hp for several years. Might want to figure out what the people your spouting off at know before you run your pie hole. I have forgotten more about tdi's than you will ever know.

You want a fast tdi get a 2260 and be done with it. Quit wasting peoples time and build the damn car.

I agree a 15 17 or 17/22 are all restrictive. These cars drive really well with big turbos. You just have to deal with a little lag.
      Last edited by vw tdi guy; 10-26-2011 at 07:59 AM.

11. 10-26-2011 08:15 AM #11
      If you know so much why the hell are you posting so much asking noob questions.

Point: If you have all knowledge on how to build it and have made a 150hp "monster" then what do you need anyone's input for.

It is the diesel equivilant of Einstein asking Corky for directions on how to do long division or something.

It is as pointless as a lesbian on birth control.

ETC

12. 10-26-2011 09:24 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by theman53 View Post

Point: If you have all knowledge on how to build it and have made a 150hp "monster" then what do you need anyone's input for.

It is the diesel equivilant of Einstein asking Corky for directions on how to do long division or something.

ETC
      I just spit my drink all over my monitor. lol

Vehicles
      10-26-2011 10:26 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Dankcorey22 View Post
      30psi all day for 50,xxx miles. No shaft play

Casio Commando using tap talk
      Whoa thats insane. Where did you buy the 17/22 at? And what do your spikes look like?!

Lol you think a 17/22 is a big turbo. 11mm pump is not hudge, 764's are small. You really dont know **** do ya. You need to read more. If you want real power skip these timy turbos.
      And wheres your dyno sheet for those numbers you have never posted it that I saw you got banned for all the crap threads you started. Guess my dyno numbers was one and you still never posted a dyno sheet. You seem to be all talk put up or shut up. Any one can type big numbers bro see 20,000,000 hp and 5 gagillion torque its easy see. I have dyno sheets for all my set ups where is yours.

I am far from a sheep. I just removed a vnt25 from my car and I asure you my car has been at levels yours will never see. ALot of people have those right? Under my hood is totally custom I never had to start a million threads to get it there. Its been over 200hp for several years. Might want to figure out what the people your spouting off at know before you run your pie hole. I have forgotten more about tdi's than you will ever know.

You want a fast tdi get a 2260 and be done with it. Quit wasting peoples time and build the damn car.

I agree a 15 17 or 17/22 are all restrictive. These cars drive really well with big turbos. You just have to deal with a little lag.

Where to begin, where to begin.. your reply is a "hudge" pile of worthless donky**** that just landed on my plate.

No, a 17/22 is not huge.. but it's larger, more free-flowing, and can pump a lot more boost than my stock turbo can

An 11mm IP is a good size.. it can flow a lot more fuel in a lot shorter window than my 10mm IP can. Therefore, you have quite an advantage

I run Pier Diesel's nozzles, which everyone and their 'momma say are junk. Your 764's can be tuned to flow a lot more fuel than my .216's

Instead of you worrying about my dyno sheet, where's all yours? I have a copy virtually, and I have a copy on my phone of the dyno sheet. In fact, I have 2 dyno videos on youtube of my dyno. And ultimately, I dont care if you believe me or not because at the end of the day, while you wonder if my stock turbo'd alh is really stacking up, I'm patting myself on my shoulder for causing such an uproar.

I'd be more than happy to run a 2260 (or at least look into it...), but nobody I talk to seems to know where to buy one from.

All in all, I'm not going for mega power in my car.. it's just my fun daily driver. I've owned far faster cars and far slower cars, but it is what it is. My daily driver that gets 50+mpg.

Thanks for the info on the 17 series turbos.

ETC
      Is my high rate of posting directly corelated to your levels of ignorance, or am I just crazy? What, exactly, about my rate of posting, has a direct impact to you or your style of life? If I keep posting, will you somehow end up obese, ill, deathly, etc? I'm confused why everybody keeps bantering about my posting. Unfortunatly, this is the USA, and until Obummer turns it into a communist country, I shall continue posting when I want, how I want, as often as I want. Dont like it? Dont read it. Keep spamming and trolling my threads, I will begin reporting you guys. And lets get some facts straight here; me asking about how much boost you guys run on a 17/22, does not corelate to me being a 'noob' or not knowing how to build a car. Or am I missing something here...

14. 10-26-2011 11:14 AM #14
      Piers nozzles work fine I rana a set for a while and for 120 bucks they worked good until I tried something better.

Its not up to me to post a dyno I got nothing to prove to any one about my car. I built it for me no one else. I am not the one saying hey look at me look at my numbers with a not stock turbo. Put up or shut up post the dyno or it did not happen.

for a daily driver a gtb2056vk would be perfect and give you over 200 hp again if you did more ready and less typing this if is all over tdiclub. If you did not make an ass out of yourself there maybe people would be more willing to put up with you.

this is with a straight vnt 17 11mm pp764's and rc4 it was smoky set up egt's were a problem on long runs
      cant find this sheet it was 168hp 300 tq

This one is the exact same set up as above but a 17/22 tubro and no smoke any time. egts still could get hot on long runs

This is a vnt 25 11mm race 520's and ported head and cam This set up was very light on fuel egts never went about 1250. I found out later my nozzles were not set up properly and were flowing abuut the same as the pp764s. This set up would be good to 250hp with a 12mm pump and much larger than r520 injectors. I never could get it enough fuel.

I ran 28 psi will all of these dyno runs.
      Last edited by vw tdi guy; 10-26-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Vehicles
      10-26-2011 12:57 PM #15
      Thanks for the civilized and helpful input

To be honest, I love my Piers Diesel nozzles. They are a bit crude.. but they put down good numbers, they aren't obnoxiously smokey, and they maintain great mileage.

Solid looking dyno's though, although the last one you post is very hard to see. Where can I pick up a gtb2056vk from, and whats the average price?

Thanks for the solid feedback and help

16. 10-26-2011 03:14 PM #16
      Its easier to find a gtb2260vk but ryan of tdiclub gets them used sometimes he also sells the 2260's and a complete bolt on kit. There is another guy in texas that sells a complete bolt on kit for the 2260 also. They are not hard to get. I think the 2056 is off the audi q7 tdi. But honestly I doubt I ever mess with thes tiny 17/22 turbos again after driving a big turbo tdi for a while. Again all of this info is already posted all over tdiclub. Thats where your going to find the info you seek not here.

When I did my first turbo upgrade to vnt17 they were no where in the states and had to come from euope I actually bought it from piers and the 216 nozzles. If you switch to pp764's your car will run better with more power I guarantee it. I have had thoses smae nozzles. Not bad for the cheap price though.

So wheres your dyno?????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????

Vehicles
      10-26-2011 05:06 PM #17
      Its easier to find a gtb2260vk but ryan of tdiclub gets them used sometimes he also sells the 2260's and a complete bolt on kit. There is another guy in texas that sells a complete bolt on kit for the 2260 also. They are not hard to get. I think the 2056 is off the audi q7 tdi. But honestly I doubt I ever mess with thes tiny 17/22 turbos again after driving a big turbo tdi for a while. Again all of this info is already posted all over tdiclub. Thats where your going to find the info you seek not here.

When I did my first turbo upgrade to vnt17 they were no where in the states and had to come from euope I actually bought it from piers and the 216 nozzles. If you switch to pp764's your car will run better with more power I guarantee it. I have had thoses smae nozzles. Not bad for the cheap price though.

So wheres your dyno?????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????
      Ryan as in Ryan P I assume? Thanks for the advice of not messing with the tiny turbos and just jumping right in.

You guarantee that my car will run better and have more power with the pp764's?? Measurable power, or a 5hp difference? lol. Will the pp764's be ok with a larger turbo also?

18. 10-26-2011 07:03 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
      Ryan as in Ryan P I assume? Thanks for the advice of not messing with the tiny turbos and just jumping right in.

You guarantee that my car will run better and have more power with the pp764's?? Measurable power, or a 5hp difference? lol. Will the pp764's be ok with a larger turbo also?
      same turbo same tune my car got a noticeable difference going from piers 216's to pp764's I did not dyno before but smoke was reduced and power increased. For what those cost they are good but bosio is far better.

19. 10-26-2011 07:05 PM #19
      still waiting on the dyno prove your self and post it.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      10-26-2011 07:28 PM #20
      I'm a bad rash that wont go away? hahaha thats funny... go be a sheep on the 'club. Do you realize how many vendors bash all the retarded, ridiculous sheeple on tdiclub for the same exact reasons I do (they just aren't outspoken of it in public, this nobody knows or cares, but the principle remains the same..)?

Are you seriously trying to tell me to go and build my car? No offense, but my stock turbo'd alh on STOCK BOOST (16psi) put down 153/270... your 'big turbo' and huge injectors with a fat injection pump put down a whopping 27hp and 30ft/lbs of torque more than my STOCK turbo did with HALF the boost, half the injection pump, and half the injectors. Boy, dont tell me how to build a car. And once I cam my car, I have damn near 100% faith that my STOCK TURBO'd, STOCK 10mm IP, tiny-ass off-branded injectors will put down exactly what your car with a big turbo, huge injection pump, and huge injectors puts down. How's that for engineering a car?

Realistically speaking, turbo's aren't really 'limited' to horsepower... there's a maximum efficiency a turbo can produce, but really, there aren't 'horsepower limitations'. I've had dozens of sheeple, err, people, on tdiclub tell me that the stock vnt15 is limited to 130hp, and no-way, no-how will I get over 130hp and 240ft/lbs of torque off a stock turbo. Well with all do respect for the people on tdiclub that dont know their heads from their asses (and the people that do know the difference, know who they are..), I'm well over their margin, and I've still got room to spare.

Ugg... sorry about the rant, I just get so excited sometimes. So Glegor, are you saying that a 17/22 is a poor upgrade for me?
      im saying the 17/22 would be a horrible upgrade for you.. you wouldnt be upgrading at all, you basically have a 17/22 hybrid already..

any of the hybrids with big cold sides, and small hot sides, are going to be restrictive at some point..

and whoever said 130hp is all a stock VNT is good for, is HIGH.. very high.

im putting down over 130hp/240tq, and my VNT is on a 1.6 IDI turbo diesel...

Vehicles
      10-26-2011 10:30 PM #21
      same turbo same tune my car got a noticeable difference going from piers 216's to pp764's I did not dyno before but smoke was reduced and power increased. For what those cost they are good but bosio is far better.
      So you could tell in the butt-dyno that the car was zippier?

still waiting on the dyno prove your self and post it.
      To be honest, I'm not entirely compelled to post it. I really just dont care. I dont want to post the dyno until I've basically maxed out my setup on the stock turbo

im saying the 17/22 would be a horrible upgrade for you.. you wouldnt be upgrading at all, you basically have a 17/22 hybrid already..

any of the hybrids with big cold sides, and small hot sides, are going to be restrictive at some point..

and whoever said 130hp is all a stock VNT is good for, is HIGH.. very high.

im putting down over 130hp/240tq, and my VNT is on a 1.6 IDI turbo diesel...
      lol. Looks like I'll be going bigger than 17/22 if I decide to upgrade

And I agree, there must be many high people on tdiclub for them to spout off some of the garbage they do. Which is precisely why I dont mind my vacation from there.

A big thanks to both of you guys for being stand-up guys and trying to help me out, without all the useless bs that's normally tossed into threads

22. 10-27-2011 09:28 AM #22
      So you could tell in the butt-dyno that the car was zippier?

To be honest, I'm not entirely compelled to post it. I really just dont care. I dont want to post the dyno until I've basically maxed out my setup on the stock turbo

lol. Looks like I'll be going bigger than 17/22 if I decide to upgrade

And I agree, there must be many high people on tdiclub for them to spout off some of the garbage they do. Which is precisely why I dont mind my vacation from there.

A big thanks to both of you guys for being stand-up guys and trying to help me out, without all the useless bs that's normally tossed into threads
      Ya I call it like I see it. You wont post it because you fudged the numbers to some how make your self look better. Why who knows. But if you dont post you definately loose all credit as being lagit in my book. Not that any of this matters. Just sayin

Vehicles
      10-27-2011 11:17 AM #23
      The reason I'm not posting it is rather simple. Back on the 'club, everybody wanted me to get dyno'd since I talked up my car so much. I searched and searched, and nobody in my area would dyno a diesel (why? who the hell knows.. your guess is as good as mine!).

So when I finally found a shop that would take me in, an hour and a half away 1-way, people found another reason to bitch at me. So basically, I'm not posting my dyno sheet because really, I just dont give a rats ass what people think. I know that my car is putting down damn good numbers, what else matters? Maybe after I install the cam and max out my setup on the stock turbo, and get the vnt tuned and set-screw taken care of, while running 20psi and not 16, I'll post the numbers 'just cause'. But for now, I see no reason to impress people that dont give a rats ass except only to run their mouths and start stuff with one of the most harmless people on the forums.

24. 10-27-2011 11:50 AM #24
      If you did not care you would not have started the bs thread guess my dyno numbers. Your all talk you dont have a dyno or you are disappointed with the numbers. All show and no go. But I knew that before I opened your thread. But thanks for proving me right good luck with your future mods you will never do. But hey I learned one thing you like to spout big numbers with nothing to back them up. Thanks for the laugh at your expense.

Vehicles
      10-27-2011 01:57 PM #25
      Well thats funny you mention that. I started that thread because I wanted to see who know their heads from their asses. Most people didn't, but there were a few people that were spot-on. Then, just as I was clicking 'new thread', I recieved a temp-ban. I recieved a temp-ban because everybody was a boo'in and a hoo'in to the moderators about me like always, that they banned me before I could actually post my dyno sheet. So it was at that point that I realized, no matter what I do, or how I do it, people are going to flock to the herd and keep spewing ignorant bs that continually gets regurgitated by the others.

So in short, no matter what I do, say, or act, I will always be wrong. So why do anything to appease the sheep? Thats not my style.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      10-27-2011 06:29 PM #26
      there is always some sort of facts backing up my arguements..

like how it would be a bad idea to upgrade to a 17/22, mainly because your turbo is modified to be the equivalent..

and also i gave reasons as to why small hybrid VNTs are not good for high performance. exhaust manifold pressure (drive pressure) gets way excessive on the smaller VNT hot sides..

27. 10-27-2011 08:05 PM #27
      Well thats funny you mention that. I started that thread because I wanted to see who know their heads from their asses. Most people didn't, but there were a few people that were spot-on. Then, just as I was clicking 'new thread', I recieved a temp-ban. I recieved a temp-ban because everybody was a boo'in and a hoo'in to the moderators about me like always, that they banned me before I could actually post my dyno sheet. So it was at that point that I realized, no matter what I do, or how I do it, people are going to flock to the herd and keep spewing ignorant bs that continually gets regurgitated by the others.

So in short, no matter what I do, say, or act, I will always be wrong. So why do anything to appease the sheep? Thats not my style.
      Keep that attitude and no one will help you. You were acting like a troll thats why you got banned and did not get much help. You would be much better off to use the search button and read your ass off. Instead you choose to be lazy and ask a million question in a million different threads. Go back to fantasy land with you moster 150hp with no dyno to prove your numbers.

I agree you pretty much have a 17/22 now about the only difference is the number of vaines on the hot side. It may clear up some smoke but wont give a big power bump.

28. 10-27-2011 09:30 PM #28
      A meek and teachable spirit is more well recieved than an arogant and combative one. You will learn more too.

People much smarter than I will probably help you, if you help yourself and tone down a little.

Vehicles
      10-28-2011 06:56 PM #29
      there is always some sort of facts backing up my arguements..

like how it would be a bad idea to upgrade to a 17/22, mainly because your turbo is modified to be the equivalent..

and also i gave reasons as to why small hybrid VNTs are not good for high performance. exhaust manifold pressure (drive pressure) gets way excessive on the smaller VNT hot sides..
      Truth I appreciate your input, because i was strongly debating on a 17/22. But if you say it wont do squat, then I'll just save my money on other things.

Keep that attitude and no one will help you. You were acting like a troll thats why you got banned and did not get much help. You would be much better off to use the search button and read your ass off. Instead you choose to be lazy and ask a million question in a million different threads. Go back to fantasy land with you moster 150hp with no dyno to prove your numbers.

I agree you pretty much have a 17/22 now about the only difference is the number of vaines on the hot side. It may clear up some smoke but wont give a big power bump.
      But I wasn't acting like a troll. One person hears something, and they assume it's 'fact' and 'truth'; they regurgitate it, and the next ignorant, weak minded soul picks it up. It's a cycle. A cycle of ignorance and idiocy. I've never put somebody down or attacked somebody unless I was being ganged up on for aboslutely ridiculous reasons.

I do search. I search about 100x more than I post, if that tells you anything. Unfortunately, with certain topics in the tdi-world, there is little known about them. (Obviously a 17/22 is well known.. I"m not defending this stupid thread...).

Thanks for the help on saving my $1500 on the 17/22 though

A meek and teachable spirit is more well recieved than an arogant and combative one. You will learn more too.

People much smarter than I will probably help you, if you help yourself and tone down a little.
      I'm all about learning and listening

Vehicles
      10-30-2011 02:42 PM #30
      So I've been doing some research, and I'm seeing people with straight vnt17's putting down 180-190whp. Thats a long-shot off of what I'm producing with my hybrid setup I've got right now. I'm almost thinking about picking up a used vnt17 and seeing what I can do with it after I swap in a new stage II cam.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      10-30-2011 03:43 PM #31
      So I've been doing some research, and I'm seeing people with straight vnt17's putting down 180-190whp. Thats a long-shot off of what I'm producing with my hybrid setup I've got right now. I'm almost thinking about picking up a used vnt17 and seeing what I can do with it after I swap in a new stage II cam.
      im gonna say that you have more left in your turbo..

cause im making ~130hp (conservative estimate so i dont get too depressed the first time i dyno it)
      with an engine that uses 1970's technology, and is less efficient than your TDI.. i would say that you should be able to get 170-180hp/300+ft lbs off that turbo you got. different tune or injectors will probably help the most..

32. 10-30-2011 05:11 PM #32
      I don't think He will get close to 180 with out an 11mm or race 520s.

33. 10-30-2011 05:15 PM #33
      If you push a 17 to that power level you will have an egt problem your turbo no is better than a 17. Get more fuel and a retune.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      10-30-2011 05:31 PM #34
      If you push a 17 to that power level you will have an egt problem your turbo no is better than a 17. Get more fuel and a retune.

yes, i hadnt taken into consideration what fuel pump he had. i just figured he already had an 11mm pump.

and with the turbo. a regular VNT17 is going to perform equally, or worse than what he has on there now.. he really needs to get more fuel, and a different tune.. i think hes got plenty of air for right now.

85_305:

what are your EGTs like? does the car smoke much? do you still have a stock 10mm pump on your car? your EGTs will tell the biggest part of the story..

Vehicles
      10-30-2011 09:13 PM #35
      im gonna say that you have more left in your turbo..

cause im making ~130hp (conservative estimate so i dont get too depressed the first time i dyno it)
      with an engine that uses 1970's technology, and is less efficient than your TDI.. i would say that you should be able to get 170-180hp/300+ft lbs off that turbo you got. different tune or injectors will probably help the most..
      I honestly agree with that... I think I've got a good 180/300 also w/ a good cam, a retune, and perhaps better nozzles. F* it... I'll stick with the exact turbo I have and see what I can milk out of it!

An 11mm pump wont do anything with the turbo I have on the car in my opinion... you can only throw so much fuel at a turbo before its overfueled. But I am certainly considering some nozzles. You recommended pp764's earlier.. but now your saying r520s?

Sound advice... thanks

yes, i hadnt taken into consideration what fuel pump he had. i just figured he already had an 11mm pump.

and with the turbo. a regular VNT17 is going to perform equally, or worse than what he has on there now.. he really needs to get more fuel, and a different tune.. i think hes got plenty of air for right now.

85_305:

what are your EGTs like? does the car smoke much? do you still have a stock 10mm pump on your car? your EGTs will tell the biggest part of the story..
      I have the stock pump but have the opportunity to buy an 11mm for a great price. But I dont think fueling is an issue with this turbo.. The car will lay out smoke pretty good right before the turbo lights. It will still smoke pretty decent after the turbo has lit, but nowhere near as much as when I got dyno'd at 16psi. I'm not running 20psi and a good portion of the smoke has cleared up. Honestly, I dont know about egt's. I have the probe, I've just been too cheap to buy the gauge :\

So you think my car has plenty of air, but not enough fuel?!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast