Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 84

    Thread: Lamborghini Aventador vs twin-turbocharged Ferrari 458

    1. Member Phunkshon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 16th, 2005
      Posts
      14,935
      10-25-2011 04:43 AM #1

    2. 10-25-2011 04:45 AM #2
      lol wow
      No Longer : -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=-

    3. Member MikkiJayne's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 1st, 2007
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      9,710
      Vehicles
      A6 TDI Quattro wagon, A4 TDI Quattro racecar
      10-25-2011 05:21 AM #3
      Thats one quick Fezza! I percieve it to be a lot lighter than the Lambo, although whether that is true or not I don't know...
      Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

      Quote Originally Posted by shwak23 View Post
      You could always call your insurance and say that some vandals tried to swap your car to rwd while you weren't looking.

    4. Member venom600's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 8th, 2002
      Location
      Claremont, CA
      Posts
      9,603
      Vehicles
      2007 VW GLI Fahrenheit
      10-25-2011 05:32 AM #4
      Anyone else remember back when getting that kind of power out of anything was a real feat of tuning skill?

    5. 10-25-2011 05:51 AM #5
      The sound of the turbo spool up in the Ferarri sounded siiiiiiiick. LOL.
      1985 TOYOTA Corolla GT-S, Hatchback, Brilliant Silver, Zenki "Hachi Roku" TRUENO

    6. Member Der Roboter's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 9th, 2010
      Location
      Portland, Or.
      Posts
      2,362
      Vehicles
      '88 GTI 12v + '85 GTI 8v + '04 Passat Wagon 1.8T + '03 Escort ZX2
      10-25-2011 06:17 AM #6
      And can we try that again from a dig? Bet the race looks a lot less spectacular when the lambo pulls out and then has to be run down.
      Bonneville 130mph club - PIR perfect(0.00) light club

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2009
      Location
      NOVA
      Posts
      2,416
      Vehicles
      2012 CC R line, 61 Merc. 220b
      10-25-2011 08:26 AM #7
      video is private

    8. Member rsj0714's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Greensboro, NC
      Posts
      3,242
      Vehicles
      2000 Acura TL 3.2, 2001 GMC Sierra (RIP)
      10-25-2011 08:43 AM #8
      so private.
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      Station wagons are for moms and Europe.

    9. Senior Member A.Wilder's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 1st, 2003
      Location
      Raleigh, NC
      Posts
      22,185
      Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      10-25-2011 08:46 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by rsj0714 View Post
      so private.
      yeah it says private for me too
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

    10. Member Killathrilla's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 21st, 2011
      Location
      Florida
      Posts
      120
      Vehicles
      2004.5 GLI
      10-25-2011 09:07 AM #10
      Last edited by Killathrilla; 10-25-2011 at 09:10 AM.

    11. Banned
      Join Date
      Mar 8th, 2011
      Location
      Bellevue Hospital Center
      Posts
      8,720
      10-25-2011 09:29 AM #11
      Logic dictates that the 458 would win solely for the fact that AWD weighs a car down at higher speeds.

    12. Member Shomegrown's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 26th, 2002
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      17,655
      Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q5 TDI quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Dodge Dakota 4x4
      10-25-2011 09:41 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by C4 A6 View Post
      Logic dictates that the 458 would win solely for the fact that AWD weighs a car down at higher speeds.


      What? No, the Ferrari wins because it has two turbos bolted on to it. Stock versus stock the Lambo would crush it, AWD or not.

    13. Banned
      Join Date
      Mar 8th, 2011
      Location
      Bellevue Hospital Center
      Posts
      8,720
      10-25-2011 09:53 AM #13
      458 1/4: 10.8sec w/ 134mph trap

      Aventador 1/4: 10.5sec (could not find trap speed times, but I'd imagine that it's not much different from the 458.)

    14. Member Shomegrown's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 26th, 2002
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      17,655
      Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q5 TDI quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Dodge Dakota 4x4
      10-25-2011 10:21 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by C4 A6 View Post
      458 1/4: 10.8sec w/ 134mph trap

      Aventador 1/4: 10.5sec (could not find trap speed times, but I'd imagine that it's not much different from the 458.)
      I don't think a stock 458 is that quick...

      http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezfl...13afadd860.pdf

      http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...a42be18964.pdf

    15. Member Phunkshon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 16th, 2005
      Posts
      14,935
      10-25-2011 11:00 AM #15
      Thanks for replacing the video Killathrilla. Can't imagine how fast the bi-turbo Aventador will be.

    16. Member LindsayLowhan's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 29th, 2010
      Location
      Jooooosey
      Posts
      1,341
      Vehicles
      Some Germans & some Brits.
      10-25-2011 11:03 AM #16
      In for bi-turbo Aventador. Oooooh my.
      I'd really love a Defender.

    17. Banned
      Join Date
      Mar 8th, 2011
      Location
      Bellevue Hospital Center
      Posts
      8,720
      10-25-2011 11:04 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post
      Fair enough, 11.0 @ 131.

      But what I'm getting at here is the trap speed. I doubt the Aventador will trap higher than ~134.

    18. 10-25-2011 11:26 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post


      What? No, the Ferrari wins because it has two turbos bolted on to it. Stock versus stock the Lambo would crush it, AWD or not.


      What? 700hp turbo = 700hp NA. Assuming the 458 is really only 700hp.

      At that speed, where that power is spread out makes a bigger difference. 700hp on two wheels pushing is faster than 700hp spread out in all 4 wheels. There's also gearing to consider...

    19. Member
      Join Date
      May 3rd, 2001
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      13,240
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan, 1982 Alfa Spider, Cannondale R700
      10-25-2011 11:29 AM #19
      What's the power:weight for both of these?

      I assume that the 458 has much advantage.

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 3rd, 2009
      Posts
      2,730
      10-25-2011 11:32 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by MFactor View Post


      What? 700hp turbo = 700hp NA. Assuming the 458 is really only 700hp.

      At that speed, where that power is spread out makes a bigger difference. 700hp on two wheels pushing is faster than 700hp spread out in all 4 wheels. There's also gearing to consider...
      But 700whp does not equal 700bhp.

    21. 10-25-2011 11:35 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by MFactor View Post


      What? 700hp turbo = 700hp NA. Assuming the 458 is really only 700hp.

      At that speed, where that power is spread out makes a bigger difference. 700hp on two wheels pushing is faster than 700hp spread out in all 4 wheels. There's also gearing to consider...
      what you are forgetting is WHP vs CHP.

      the ferrari is making 700 whp. the lambo is making about 560 AWHP. thats a huge difference at roll on speeds. when you consider that the ferrari also got a boost in torque with its new power and should be significantly lighter then you should easily deduce the outcome ferrari > lambo.

      id like to see this redone when the aventador gets its kit installed. im thinking the outcome would be much different.

    22. Member Shomegrown's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 26th, 2002
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      17,655
      Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q5 TDI quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Dodge Dakota 4x4
      10-25-2011 11:35 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by MFactor View Post


      What? 700hp turbo = 700hp NA. Assuming the 458 is really only 700hp.

      At that speed, where that power is spread out makes a bigger difference. 700hp on two wheels pushing is faster than 700hp spread out in all 4 wheels. There's also gearing to consider...


      The cars have different horsepower, different torque, different weight, different aero, and different gearing.

      Claiming the main difference in performance is AWD is just plain ridiculous.

    23. 10-25-2011 11:49 AM #23
      and also after relooking at the video it seems the ferrari driver was a little better. either the na car wasnt in its power band (being na it shouldnt really matter but we all know supercars have crap for torque stock) when they launched or all that displacement spools the hell outta the turbos in that ferrari. either way, two awesome cars.

      listen to the revs the ferrari has during the first run. hes up there in the rpm band to keep those snails spooled. as soon as he hits it hes making big boost.

    24. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 3rd, 2009
      Posts
      2,730
      10-25-2011 11:52 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by bwell01 View Post
      and also after relooking at the video it seems the ferrari driver was a little better. either the na car wasnt in its power band (being na it shouldnt really matter but we all know supercars have crap for torque stock) when they launched or all that displacement spools the hell outta the turbos in that ferrari. either way, two awesome cars.

      listen to the revs the ferrari has during the first run. hes up there in the rpm band to keep those snails spooled. as soon as he hits it hes making big boost.
      I did not know this. Please tell me more.

    25. Member bryangb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 16th, 2010
      Location
      Hanover, PA
      Posts
      15,208
      Vehicles
      '08 GTI, '12 Beetle, '91 Passat
      10-25-2011 11:56 AM #25
      In the for the Aventador twin turbo systems.
      // Open Road Tuning
      Instagram: @bryangb
      bags and wheels = build thread

    26. Member
      Join Date
      May 27th, 2008
      Location
      Malvern, PA
      Posts
      6,173
      Vehicles
      5.3L Wrangler
      10-25-2011 12:04 PM #26
      Awesome!

      And yet, this thread will be nothing but bickering...
      5.3L Wrangler work in progress
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      "Less Forethought, More Welding"

    27. 10-25-2011 12:15 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by sweetridebro View Post
      I did not know this. Please tell me more.
      well maybe my opinion has been skewed by my own modded car but yah, these numbers arent all that to me...

      now granted, there are several exceptions but here are some examples...

      M3 400+hp/295 its not really a supercar buuuuuut
      458 Italia 562/ 398
      gallardo 510/ 398
      997 GT3 RS 4.0 500/339
      R8 V8 414/317
      R8 V10 518/391

      its just that in my mind these numbers dont equate to much when im making the same torque (328 wheel on an old dyno before a much bigger turbo and proper software)

    28. Member Shomegrown's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 26th, 2002
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      17,655
      Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q5 TDI quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Dodge Dakota 4x4
      10-25-2011 12:33 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by bwell01 View Post
      well maybe my opinion has been skewed by my own modded car but yah, these numbers arent all that to me...

      now granted, there are several exceptions but here are some examples...

      M3 400+hp/295 its not really a supercar buuuuuut
      458 Italia 562/ 398
      gallardo 510/ 398
      997 GT3 RS 4.0 500/339
      R8 V8 414/317
      R8 V10 518/391

      its just that in my mind these numbers dont equate to much when im making the same torque (328 wheel on an old dyno before a much bigger turbo and proper software)
      Those are all N/A cars. Torque output on N/A cars is directly proportional to displacement.

      Small engine = small torque. You'll find they all produce approximately the same peak torque per liter (with the 458 being an exception).

    29. 10-25-2011 12:55 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post
      Those are all N/A cars. Torque output on N/A cars is directly proportional to displacement.

      Small engine = small torque. You'll find they all produce approximately the same peak torque per liter (with the 458 being an exception).
      oh im not doubting the reasons why, im just giving my opinion on the matter.

    30. 10-25-2011 02:41 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by bwell01 View Post
      what you are forgetting is WHP vs CHP.

      the ferrari is making 700 whp. the lambo is making about 560 AWHP. thats a huge difference at roll on speeds. when you consider that the ferrari also got a boost in torque with its new power and should be significantly lighter then you should easily deduce the outcome ferrari > lambo.

      id like to see this redone when the aventador gets its kit installed. im thinking the outcome would be much different.
      I'm aware of the difference between wheel vs crank hp as well as drive train losses between the two drive trains. Maybe I just missed that in the video and unfortunately the video has been removed. I was under the impression that both cars were estimated 700hp hence why I said (assuming the 458 really does have 700hp). Given that, then yes there would be an obvious disadvantage and posting wheel horsepower and crank horsepower on a video to begin with is misleading and inconsistent.

    31. Member muffintop's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 15th, 2009
      Location
      UT
      Posts
      2,104
      Vehicles
      NA Miata
      10-25-2011 02:52 PM #31
      Looks to me like they are racing above ground.

      I'll be in my bunk.

    32. Banned
      Join Date
      Mar 8th, 2011
      Location
      Bellevue Hospital Center
      Posts
      8,720
      10-25-2011 02:57 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post
      Claiming the main difference in performance is AWD is just plain ridiculous.
      I'm sure if you TT'd the Aventador for 700awhp to give it the same power number as the 458, the 458 would still win (assuming the 458 has 700rwhp). Yes, you cited aero and gearing and weight and such.

      - Apparently the two have the same drag coefficients: .33
      - (no idea on what the gear ratios of the Aventador are)
      - The Aventador actually weighs LESS than the 458
      - Different torque, yes. No dyno sheets available for either one, but you'd expect the Aventador to have a linear delivery and the 458 to peak once max boost kicks in, and then slowly drop (unless they're using big turbos, in which case peak boost will come in later in the powerband and torque will stay relatively flat from then on)

    33. Member TTurboNegro's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 8th, 2007
      Location
      Nj
      Posts
      3,466
      Vehicles
      Audi TT quattro coupe. F350 7.3 turbo diesel. BMW X3 ///M Sport. VW Tiguan SE
      10-25-2011 03:06 PM #33
      UR is known for making the slowest cars....SIKE

    34. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2006
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      1,177
      Vehicles
      2011 Audi S4 Premium Plus
      10-25-2011 03:17 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by C4 A6 View Post
      I'm sure if you TT'd the Aventador for 700awhp to give it the same power number as the 458, the 458 would still win (assuming the 458 has 700rwhp). Yes, you cited aero and gearing and weight and such.

      - Apparently the two have the same drag coefficients: .33
      - (no idea on what the gear ratios of the Aventador are)
      - The Aventador actually weighs LESS than the 458
      - Different torque, yes. No dyno sheets available for either one, but you'd expect the Aventador to have a linear delivery and the 458 to peak once max boost kicks in, and then slowly drop (unless they're using big turbos, in which case peak boost will come in later in the powerband and torque will stay relatively flat from then on)
      WAT

      http://www.aventador.com/index-eng.html

      http://www.ferrari.com/English/GT_Sp...58-Italia.aspx

      The Lamborghini is OVER 400 lbs heavier than the F458

    35. Banned
      Join Date
      Mar 8th, 2011
      Location
      Bellevue Hospital Center
      Posts
      8,720
      10-25-2011 03:21 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by DamienR8 View Post
      http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=296974

      I wouldn't trust Ferrari's claims on weight especially when they say "With lighter wheels and racing seats (and probably gutted other stuff that they're not telling you about.)

      But I am still wrong by ~200lbs, so you got me there. But for some reason when I searched that info, it returned the Aventador's weight as ~3300 and the Ferrari's as ~3400.
      Last edited by C4 A6; 10-25-2011 at 03:23 PM.

    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •