Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Popping Noise

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SEL, 2012 4DR Golf TDi
      10-27-2011 06:26 PM #1
      Hi everyone, just joined here after buying my first VW, an MK6 '12 Jetta SEL, last week. Have a question about a noise I hear on my car and wondering if anyone else noticed this on their's.

Everytime I get finished driving and park my car, I hear a weird popping sound coming from under the car. It is rather loud actually. Imagine a drip from water from AC use once parked, but dropping drops of metal instead of water, and landing on metal at that!

I would appreciate any feedback, going to definitely bring it to the dealership's attention if it is not normal. Thanks

Vehicles
      '11 Jetta TDI, '82 Caddy 1.8 (TDI Swap Project)
      10-27-2011 06:38 PM #2
      It sound like it's just your engine cooling down. As the metal cools there can sometimes be a popping or creaking sound that comes from under the car or in the engine bay. Doesnt sound too life threatening.

3. 10-27-2011 10:26 PM #3
      Actually the car performs a leak test in the fuel system. When you turn it off a small pump runs and pressurizes the fuel tank and checks for vapor leaks. After it finishes you hear a "pop" or some sort of valve noise and this is the pressure releasing. During the time it pressurizes the tank, the plastic tank expands a little and makes some noises that you hear.

Every other VW does this test with the engine running...but the MKVI jetta does it when the engine is off.

Vehicles
      2012 Volkswagen Jetta
      10-27-2011 10:42 PM #4
      Is this the sound I hear when I open my drivers side door? It sounds more like the fuel pump priming.

10-27-2011 11:33 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by rustlerdude View Post
      Actually the car performs a leak test in the fuel system. When you turn it off a small pump runs and pressurizes the fuel tank and checks for vapor leaks. After it finishes you hear a "pop" or some sort of valve noise and this is the pressure releasing. During the time it pressurizes the tank, the plastic tank expands a little and makes some noises that you hear.

Every other VW does this test with the engine running...but the MKVI jetta does it when the engine is off.
      Wow. Great little nugget of info right there. Thank you!
      2012 MKVI Jetta GLI / 2008 Civic Si Sedan / 2007 Mazdaspeed 6 / 2004 MKIV Jetta GLI (1.8T) / 1996 MKIII Jetta GLX VR6

https://twitter.com/Flyin18T

Vehicles
      10-28-2011 01:15 AM #6
      Thanks for that info rustlerdude, I hope that indeed is the case. I never heard that particular noise in any vehicle I ever had before. If I hear a noise like that in some trucks or something, it usually does quite a bit of them in quick succession multiple times. But this one is just a steady, long delayed pop. lol, thanks again

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW Jetta 2.5
      10-28-2011 02:17 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by azthegame View Post
      Thanks for that info rustlerdude, I hope that indeed is the case. I never heard that particular noise in any vehicle I ever had before. If I hear a noise like that in some trucks or something, it usually does quite a bit of them in quick succession multiple times. But this one is just a steady, long delayed pop. lol, thanks again
      I have the exact same thing happening to me on my Jetta, I took it to the dealer because I thought maybe the valve was sticking. They told me it was just metal expanding. Of course VW dealerships arent always the most trustworthy. After lots of research I came to the conclusion is was normal. As long as you arent having associated lights you are fine.
      My other ride is a CH47-F

8. 10-28-2011 10:56 PM #8
      Not a problem.

When opening the driver door the fuel pump will prime the fuel system. This happens only every 20 minutes so that's why it doesn't happen all the time.

Being a tech has its benefits lol

Vehicles
      10-28-2011 11:25 PM #9
      Not a problem.

When opening the driver door the fuel pump will prime the fuel system. This happens only every 20 minutes so that's why it doesn't happen all the time.

Being a tech has its benefits lol
      wait... when I open the door I hear a sound yes, but what I was talking about happens after driving around for a bit. Once I park and start walking away, there is a loud "pop..... pop..... pop....." like drops of steel as I said at the outset, roughly every 8 to 10 seconds. I usually hear stuff like that on other, larger vehicles, and it is usually the vehicle flushing moisture out from the condenser or something. But this sound is louder, and slower. Almost as if I was hammering a nail into concrete, with a tiny hammer though. Once I go to pick up my plates I will mention it anyways just to be sure, I am so paranoid. >_< I was paranoid at my 08 civic hybrid which is why I traded it in for my Jetta lol.

10. 10-28-2011 11:47 PM #10
      its the metal in your exhaust and heat shields contracting as they cool off...happens in most vehicles. thought this was common knowledge.

Vehicles
      10-28-2011 11:56 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk6_Sportline View Post
      its the metal in your exhaust and heat shields contracting as they cool off...happens in most vehicles. thought this was common knowledge.
      Like I said, I know the sound from other vehicles, but this one sounds different! I know this is probably normal and nothing really wrong, but this is the first car I have had where I can hear a popping noise from 20+ feet away in a parking lot. Which is why I bothered to ask here among VW owners since I have never owned one before and have only rode in one like 3 times in my life. No need to toss out the 'duh' response.

12. 10-29-2011 12:06 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by azthegame View Post
      Like I said, I know the sound from other vehicles, but this one sounds different! I know this is probably normal and nothing really wrong, but this is the first car I have had where I can hear a popping noise from 20+ feet away in a parking lot. Which is why I bothered to ask here among VW owners since I have never owned one before and have only rode in one like 3 times in my life. No need to toss out the 'duh' response.
      Sorry to sound like a d*uche with my previous reply, but what else could it possibly be?

13. Member
      Vehicles
      82' Dellorto'd Track Prepped Rabbit, 87' Rocc 16v, 11' Jet Tdi
      10-29-2011 02:17 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk6_Sportline View Post
      Sorry to sound like a d*uche with my previous reply, but what else could it possibly be?
      Read below.

Vehicles
      10-29-2011 11:37 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Rocko'sEuroGTi View Post
      Read below.
      Yep, this morning after I arrived at the gym, I stayed in my car instead of immediately getting out and I heard the pop from the inside perspective, I heard a depressurizing occur and it sounded like it was traveling from the front to the fuel tank. Then the pop happened from the tank area a few times. Sound Source CONFIRMED lol thanks again rustlerdude