Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

View Poll Results: Poll for current/future TDI owners - Are/Will you be using Diesel fuel additive?

Voters
    28. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes, Stanadyne Performance Formula

3 10.71%
    • Yes, Stanadyne Lubricity Formula

0 0%
    • Yes, Other brand formula

9 32.14%
    • No, not using diesel fuel additive

16 57.14%

Thread: Poll for current/future TDI owners - Are/Will you be using Diesel fuel additive?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Chev Trailblazer EXT, 2008 Buick Enclave, 2012 Passat TDI SEL
      10-28-2011 06:09 PM #1
      Poll for current/future TDI owners - Are/Will you be using Diesel fuel additive?

1. Yes, Stanadyne Performance formula
      2. Yes, Stanadyne Lubricity Formula
      3. Yes, other brand
      4. No, not using diesel fuel additive.
      Last edited by monstersinc1; 10-28-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SE
      10-28-2011 06:49 PM #2
      I had no idea about additives! This will be my first diesel car. I'm looking forward to see what others do.

3. 10-28-2011 07:42 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by cheapa55TDI View Post
      I had no idea about additives! This will be my first diesel car. I'm looking forward to see what others do.
      The last diesel was an Olds.......(30 years ago)....we used an anti-gel...winters get cold here....what's the current thinking??
      Last edited by dkross737; 10-28-2011 at 07:42 PM. Reason: sp

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SE DSG/ 2013 JSW TDI DSG, 2008 R32 #1580
      10-28-2011 08:16 PM #4
      Yes Stanadyne performance. Used it for 50k miles on my. 2010 jetta and started on my Passat from day one.
      2012 Passat SE TDI. DSG, 35% tint, VCDS Rain Sensor Wiper Mod

2013 JSW TDI DSG. 35% tint, smoked side markers, Malone 1.5 w/ DSG Tune

2008 R32 #1580

Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SE
      10-28-2011 09:15 PM #5
      What's the purpose?

6. 10-28-2011 09:42 PM #6
      i will do whatever the manual suggests.

if it's not required, then no.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      10-28-2011 10:34 PM #7
      Stanadyne lubricity formula is recommended by VW as an OEM product. Refer to
      http://www.stanadyne.com/docs/puba/Mb2046.pdf

Why diesel additives? Everything I've read over at myturbodiesel.com is saying that ULSD diesel has low lubricity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubricity). This is possibility related to fuel pump issues in recent 2.0 TDI engines.

8. 10-29-2011 01:43 AM #8
      Is this an advertizement?

9. Member
      Vehicles
      10-29-2011 01:14 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by O_G View Post
      Is this an advertizement?
      No, this is not an advertisement. I have ordered a TDI SEL and want to know what the current TDI owners are doing in regards to this. It would seem that members of the other VW forums with TDI's are using some sort of diesel additive. This has been an area of discussion since the TDI fuel pump failures in Jetta's, Golf's, and JSW's in the past few years.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat VR62002 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
      10-29-2011 01:36 PM #10
      I don't have a TDI, but I've heard many good comments about a new product called Xbee. Friends in Europe driving diesels cars love it.

Same product in the USA is available under the name Soltron.

No commercial interest or affiliation with the product. Just my $0.02

11. Member
      Vehicles
      10-29-2011 02:19 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by cheapa55TDI View Post
      What's the purpose?
      Additional lubrication, anti-gel and overall performance enhancement. Plus to me it's like cheap insurance against fuel problems. It also has a VW P/N on it and is recommended in the Bentley manual as an approved additive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2008 R32 #1580

Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SE
      10-29-2011 03:14 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by xjdaddy View Post
      Additional lubrication, anti-gel and overall performance enhancement. Plus to me it's like cheap insurance against fuel problems. It also has a VW P/N on it and is recommended in the Bentley manual as an approved additive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      so which one do you use?

13. Member
      Vehicles
      10-29-2011 04:21 PM #13
      Yes Stanadyne performance. Used it for 50k miles on my. 2010 jetta and started on my Passat from day one.
      ^^^^^

2008 R32 #1580

Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SE
      10-29-2011 05:26 PM #14
      ^^^^^
      haha, oops. thanks!

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SE Roof/Nav/18s
      12-14-2011 12:53 PM #15
      I am new to the TDI, the main reason I decided to give VW a try. Anyway, I wanted to get more info on additives (specifically for use in sub 32 degree F temps) and asked the service managers from 3 area dealers in the Boston area. The normal low temp I expect to see will be in the teens but planning for a low of 0 degrees F just to be safe. I also asked about HPFP issues and if they are related (remember, I am new to this).

I am not advocating for using or not using additives, just simply providing my findings for those who may be interested.

Here are the answers:

1. Mattie Imports - "Do not use any additives, they are not necessary. Rare to see HPFP issue."
      2. Quirk VW - "Do not use any additives, they are not necessary. Rare to see HPFP issue in TDIs."
      3. Minuteman VW - Direct quote from email: "VW offers a fuel additive that is mostly to prevent gelling in colder temps. It is also a cetane booster. As far as the high pressure pumps go, we have not seen any failures at this dealership that were NOT linked to fuel system contamination or misfueling (and we service a very large number of TDIs). All the cars that have had HPFP failure here have been misfueled. I would not hesitate to put in a fuel additive that can be purchased at a dealership for anti-gelling. There shouldn’t be any other need for any other additive."
      When I asked more about the brand they used he did eventually say that it was "Stanadyne Performance".

I also emailed VW Customer Care and received this response:
      "I understand you are asking if Volkswagen recommends using a fuel additive in your diesel engine, and I appreciate the chance to assist you in any way possible. Volkswagen recognizes you as a valuable owner, and we take your concerns seriously. I looked into this matter internally and have confirmed that Volkswagen does not recommend or approve the use of any additives in our Clean Diesel vehicles. It is our goal to assist our customers whenever possible, and I hope you find this information helpful."

Again, just simply providing my findings for those who may be interested since this seems to be a highly debated topic here and in other forums.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      12-14-2011 04:12 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by mtbsteve View Post
      I am new to the TDI, the main reason I decided to give VW a try. Anyway, I wanted to get more info on additives (specifically for use in sub 32 degree F temps) and asked the service managers from 3 area dealers in the Boston area. The normal low temp I expect to see will be in the teens but planning for a low of 0 degrees F just to be safe. I also asked about HPFP issues and if they are related (remember, I am new to this).

I am not advocating for using or not using additives, just simply providing my findings for those who may be interested.

Here are the answers:

1. Mattie Imports - "Do not use any additives, they are not necessary. Rare to see HPFP issue."
      2. Quirk VW - "Do not use any additives, they are not necessary. Rare to see HPFP issue in TDIs."
      3. Minuteman VW - Direct quote from email: "VW offers a fuel additive that is mostly to prevent gelling in colder temps. It is also a cetane booster. As far as the high pressure pumps go, we have not seen any failures at this dealership that were NOT linked to fuel system contamination or misfueling (and we service a very large number of TDIs). All the cars that have had HPFP failure here have been misfueled. I would not hesitate to put in a fuel additive that can be purchased at a dealership for anti-gelling. There shouldn’t be any other need for any other additive."
      When I asked more about the brand they used he did eventually say that it was "Stanadyne Performance".

"I understand you are asking if Volkswagen recommends using a fuel additive in your diesel engine, and I appreciate the chance to assist you in any way possible. Volkswagen recognizes you as a valuable owner, and we take your concerns seriously. I looked into this matter internally and have confirmed that Volkswagen does not recommend or approve the use of any additives in our Clean Diesel vehicles. It is our goal to assist our customers whenever possible, and I hope you find this information helpful."

Again, just simply providing my findings for those who may be interested since this seems to be a highly debated topic here and in other forums.
      Thanks for getting this info. I haven't yet taken delivery on my TDI, but it looks like I won't be using additives when I do.

17. 12-14-2011 06:47 PM #17
      Thanks for getting this info. I haven't yet taken delivery on my TDI, but it looks like I won't be using additives when I do
      I think it might be helpful to continue reading/researching before making a decision....can't hurt and there are a LOT of things to be learned along the way besides lubrication.

Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL - White - Debadged, Tinted Windows, Euro Light Switch
      12-15-2011 12:00 PM #18
      I've had a Cummins Diesel Dodge truck for years. I run Diesel Kleen in it about every 5000 miles and/or whenever we're headed out on a long trip or towing heavy. It runs smoother, starts faster and gets slightly better mileage with it.

I haven't decided on using it in my Passat yet.

Vehicles
      2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5 speed, 60 mpg
      04-23-2012 11:24 PM #19
      i will be using lubricity additive.
      2002 GLS Jetta TDI 5 speed with Ariettas no more LOL!!15" avus and lovin' it!
      Brought home 2-22-2012
      ……"I put it back to a driveable height"…….vr6gti727, 6/7/12
      .."avus are 15s anyways so you clearly don't care about looks"..tar, 07-23-2011

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium Tungsten/Black
      04-23-2012 11:52 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by dachman1 View Post
      I've had a Cummins Diesel Dodge truck for years. I run Diesel Kleen in it about every 5000 miles and/or whenever we're headed out on a long trip or towing heavy. It runs smoother, starts faster and gets slightly better mileage with it.
      Also I have been using DIESEL KLEEN (Grey bottle) but since day one in my Passat on every fuel tank.
      It was recomended it by a VW dealer service manager and other VW/audi TDi technician.
      It works fine..
      2004 VW Touareg V6 - Traded for the 2006
      2006 VW Touareg V6 - Traded for the Tiguan
      2009 VW 2.0T Jetta Wolfsburg - traded for the Passat
      2012 VW Tiguan 2.0 TSI SEL Premium Nav
      2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium w/rear lid spoiler

Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat TDI SEL/2012 JSW TDI
      04-24-2012 07:27 AM #21
      I voted "no" on this poll originally but I have been using Opti-lube in both of our cars. It's highly rated and cost very little per tank so I'm running on the better safe than sorry theory.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI, 2005 Ford F-250 6.0 diesel, 2007 Artitic Fox 5th Wheel
      04-24-2012 12:54 PM #22
      I have used Diesel Klean for years in two Ford F250's I've owned. One n/a 1992 and my newer 6.0 2005. Both get/got better mileage using it and make it quieter. Still on my first tank that was in it when I bought it..... so haven't put any in yet. How it acts when I put it in may effect my future use.
      2012 Passat SE TDI NAV
      2005 F250 PSD 4X4 LB CrewCab Arizona Beige / Blue Spring / Gauges / Coolant Filter / SG-II / Peragon Bed Cover
      2007 Arctic Fox 30' Fifth Wheel

Vehicles
      1998 Jetta TDI
      04-24-2012 01:07 PM #23
      I use power service

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

24. Member
      Vehicles
      04-26-2012 12:28 PM #24

Does anyone know what the cetane rating for diesel is in Europe? I know that here in the States, it has been questionably low. That's why I intend to use an additive .

Just answered my own question. See here: http://lcbamarketing.com/cetane_number.htm

This is why I WILL for sure run the additive! Wish we had this cetane rating!
      Last edited by BudPytko; 04-26-2012 at 12:38 PM.
      2012 Passat SE TDI NAV
      2005 F250 PSD 4X4 LB CrewCab Arizona Beige / Blue Spring / Gauges / Coolant Filter / SG-II / Peragon Bed Cover

25. Member
      Vehicles
      '07 Passat 3.6 4mo wagon; '05 GLS 4mo wagon
      04-26-2012 08:11 PM #25

Here are the answers:

FWIW...I'm in Boston too and have experience with all three of these service depts. I'd trust Minuteman. Quirk wouldnt know a hpfp issue unless you walked and dismantled it yourself in their lobby.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      04-27-2012 12:15 PM #26
      Ask them all if they would give you a recommended cetane rating number to use. Again, Europe has ratings from 51 to 55. Be lucky to see 45 here in the states. Higher the cetane, better the fuel mileage. (Up to about 55)

And seeing a number of dealers are using the "bad fuel" excuse for denying warranty, request where they recommend we buy our fuel.
      2012 Passat SE TDI NAV

27. Member
      Vehicles
      01 TDI Jetta, 02 TDI Golf
      04-29-2012 08:57 AM #27
      I presently use Diesel-Kleen, gray bottle, in my 02 Golf, I have since first fuel-up. The engine is a little quieter and fuel economy is slightly better, and it adds some lubrication for the IP. I am considering an '12 Passat, if I get one, I will be using the Opti-lube XPD. If you read the scar wear tests on the ULSD, most fuels barely meet the minimum requirments for lubricity. The only one that I have read that easily meets the specs is the fuel from Irving, and that is still not that great. Because of the HPFP issues, and the associated costs IF something goes wrong, which seems to be rare, I will be using an additive as cheap insurance. Also, because of the HPFP issues, I am also going to see if the CAT 2 micron fuel filter is still available and if it will fit on the Passat.

Jim

Vehicles
      2005.5 VW JETTA TDI PKG 1, 2012 VW PASSAT TDI SEL
      04-29-2012 04:54 PM #28
      For those of you who do add additives, how much of what product do you put in, and how often.
      Thanks!
      ~Kyosho

29. Member
      Vehicles
      04-29-2012 05:06 PM #29
      Every fill-up using this formula:

Gallons of Diesel Fuel to Treat Ounces of Additive Required
      3 gallons 1 ounce
      40 gallons 16 ounces
      100 gallons 32 ounces
      250 gallons 80 ounces

So, 15 gal = about 5 oz. No one runs their tank dry, right? I use a marked funnel to add the Diesel Kleen. Yeah, it stinks as bad or worse as diesel fuel! Gloves are good.

Over adding doesn't hurt anything except wallet!

See here: http://www.powerservice.com/dk/
      2012 Passat SE TDI NAV

04-30-2012 08:33 PM #30
      I use a little splash of power service with every fill in all my Diesels. It's hard to get high cetane fuel around here, and it does make a small, but real difference. You can really tell on a car with worn out injectors, it knocks down the knocking

-J
      2012 Passat TDI SE DSG. 60,000 miles. LED tails, VCDS tweaks (wipers, alarm, cluster)
      1999 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 296,000 miles. RCIII, BV49, S520, Knois.
      1991 Mercedes 350SDL. 225,000 miles, 60k on the replacement motor
      1991 Jetta GL ECOdiesel. 429,000 miles. Totaled
      1992 Jetta GL ECOdiesel. 150,000 miles. Sold.

31. 01-04-2014 10:34 PM #31
      I haven't yet used Opti Lube in my 2013 Passat but have been using it in my Ford 2008 6.4 diesel.