Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ThatA4T's timeline of random projects

1. 10-28-2011 07:56 PM #1
      Basically going to use this thread to show previous projects and pictures as well as slowly add to it as things progress even further. had the car about 3 years now after purchasing it bone stock. so far, the list of mods so far includes...

Double DIN swap
      pioneer avh4000 in dash dvd
      Suede headliner, pillars, rear deck lid, door cards
      15% tint
      Forge 007 DV
      vdo boost and oil pressure gauges in center vents
      OEM rs4 grille
      GIAC chip
      Depo ecodes with 55w 5000k HID's
      ST Coilovers
      034 street density motor and trans mounts,
      034 snub w/ bracket
      034 aluminum subframe bushings
      valeo single mass cluth/flywheel setup
      new control arms and axles
      evo ms CAI,
      powderoated snazzy stuff
      euro trunk
      Shaved exhaust cutout with hidden turn down tips (in progress... again)
      chalkboard painted hood and trunk
      JHM solid short throw shifter
      (probably forgetting a few)

Onto the pics, since everyone loves pics
      in no particular order

Any requests for more pics or questions let me know

2. 10-28-2011 07:59 PM #2
      oh ya forgot to mention this, shortly after paint the first time lol which led to the chalkboard paint because i got tired of the multi colored car and dont have money for a full respray right now

Last edited by ThatA4T; 10-28-2011 at 08:05 PM.

3. 10-28-2011 08:30 PM #3
      poop

first attempt shaving exhaust cutout

after the wreck

shortly before the wreck

shortly after i got it, stock

Vehicles
      2001.5 A4QTM
      10-28-2011 09:17 PM #4
      interior looks great man, come do mine!
      2001.5 a4tqm
      2.1L billet 71R under construction

2008 2500HD duramax

5. Member
      Vehicles
      99.5 A4 1.8TQM 98 Passat Wagon
      10-28-2011 09:36 PM #5
      Bout time man.
      Alex
      Strictly Pleasure

6. 10-28-2011 10:18 PM #6
      I wanted to organize and add everything but way too much time lol

7. 10-28-2011 10:20 PM #7
      You know what your car has that a lot of others lack? Character. Waiting to see how your car looks in the next couple months, man .

8. Member
      10-28-2011 10:35 PM #8
      That interior man. So good

9. 10-28-2011 10:39 PM #9
      thank you sir! that means a lot to me lol once i get these wheels on and stance dialed down ill feel alot better about it. but once i get a bumper and skirts and finish this shaved exhaust cutout and full respray all one color again im going to be very happy! and engine build is still on its way just need to keep saving but i just recently started at lincoln tech so that has cut back on a lot of work hours so progress may be slower than id like.

10. 10-28-2011 10:42 PM #10
      God I want black interior, anyone wanna trade?

11. 10-28-2011 11:10 PM #11
      few more turned into a bunch more haha

12. 10-30-2011 09:37 AM #12
      Interior looks so good man , just curious what kind/ where you got the suede from ?

13. Member
      Vehicles
      10-30-2011 11:33 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by ThatA4T View Post
      i just recently started at lincoln tech so that has cut back on a lot of work hours so progress may be slower than id like.
      lincoln tech? That was my very last choice for auto school.
      Alex
      Strictly Pleasure

14. 10-30-2011 11:36 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by b5_t View Post
      Interior looks so good man , just curious what kind/ where you got the suede from ?
      The material I used is called suedeliner and its expensive, about $60 a yard I got 5 yards and that was pushing it. So go with 6 if u plan to do everything I did

Vehicles
      '08 GTI, '12 Beetle, '91 Passat
      10-30-2011 11:56 AM #15
      Looks real good
      // Open Road Tuning
      Instagram: @bryangb
      bags and wheels = build thread

16. 10-30-2011 01:11 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by NeedingAnAudi View Post
      lincoln tech? That was my very last choice for auto school.
      wyotech was my last choice haha not a chance in hell id live in wyoming like u did :p lincoln is close by and its a brand new building brand new equipment and extremely huge! i wanted to go to uti but also didnt wanna move to arizona

but lincolns old school was old run down and just trash haha i dont blame u for not going there when u went to school
      Last edited by ThatA4T; 10-30-2011 at 01:18 PM.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      10-30-2011 01:47 PM #17
      Coulda gone to UTI in Chicago. I live 15 minutes from there lol. The closest Lincoln tech is a dump. I walked in and thought, jeez my high school shop is nicer.

Wyoming sucked. But I never would have met some cool Colorado dudes if I hadn't gone
      Alex
      Strictly Pleasure

18. 10-30-2011 01:54 PM #18
      Coulda gone to UTI in Chicago. I live 15 minutes from there lol. The closest Lincoln tech is a dump. I walked in and thought, jeez my high school shop is nicer.

Wyoming sucked. But I never would have met some cool Colorado dudes if I hadn't gone
      like me

the old lincoln in denver was also a complete dump but this band new school is amazing!

Vehicles
      2000 Audi A4 2.8Q
      10-30-2011 03:01 PM #19
      loooks good. when do you think it'll be all finished?

did you wrap the whole c pillars or just the main part of them? i feel like im one of the few who actually wrapped the whole thing.

20. 10-30-2011 03:12 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by MarcMiller View Post
      loooks good. when do you think it'll be all finished?

did you wrap the whole c pillars or just the main part of them? i feel like im one of the few who actually wrapped the whole thing.
      When will it all be finished!? As in the whole car? Lol probably never. Engine build will be coming somewhat soon. Wheels will be on next spring. Still need awe dts, rear diff mount, adjustable upper control arms, rear aluminum subframe bushings and sway bars to finish up my suspension for the most part. Still need s4 front bumper with rs4 mod and s4 skirts (already shaved lower moldings) then finish up rear valence and I'm ready for paint. But ill always be making changes lol interior is pretty much where I want it at this point in time oh and I only wrapped the main part, I didn't have enough extra to do both parts and didn't wanna waste material trying it multiple times. Pics of yours plz!
      Last edited by ThatA4T; 10-30-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Vehicles
      2000 Audi A4 2.8Q
      10-30-2011 03:32 PM #21

****ty iPhone pic but you can see. They were hard as hell, i know why im one of the few who actually wrapped it all.

Heres everything

22. 10-30-2011 03:42 PM #22
      What you plan for your engine build? With the types of turbochargers now being offered, upped displacement is something I currently sway from. Picked up Brute rods and AEB pistons from John Gutmann on AZ (was kind enough to do a payment plan with me, and I owe him $210 more). But since you are in CO, the upped displacement can def help in your case. I'm just planning on drop in rods with built cylinder head (not quite sure how far I want to take this). Guy in PA has an AWM engine for sale for $400 with bent valves..and $275 for the short block. I want to scoop that up so bad, but still have other investments. Priorities are killing me, man.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      10-30-2011 04:00 PM #23
      V8 or bust!

Oh wait. Sorry, thats my plan lol
      Alex
      Strictly Pleasure

24. 10-30-2011 06:18 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Seerlah View Post
      What you plan for your engine build? With the types of turbochargers now being offered, upped displacement is something I currently sway from. Picked up Brute rods and AEB pistons from John Gutmann on AZ (was kind enough to do a payment plan with me, and I owe him $210 more). But since you are in CO, the upped displacement can def help in your case. I'm just planning on drop in rods with built cylinder head (not quite sure how far I want to take this). Guy in PA has an AWM engine for sale for $400 with bent valves..and $275 for the short block. I want to scoop that up so bad, but still have other investments. Priorities are killing me, man.
      i know how you feel about priorities haha im in the same situation right now. my plan so far is...
      Definitely going with stock stroke and a possible slight bore but want to tear my engine apart first to see how everything looks. right now i have low compression on cyl 2 and im burning oil so the build will happen first and i will run the stock turbo after while i break in the engine and save for turbo setup, which will most likely be a GT3071r or something along those lines.

bottom end:

fluidampr
      JE pistons with pins, rings etc (most likely 81.5mm)
      IE "like" rods
      calico coated main bearings
      calico coated rod bearings
      Bottom end gasket set complete

Top end

new OEM lifters (not reman)
      head gasket complete set
      Supertech valve train which includes black nitrided intake valves, inconell exhaust valves, stiffer intake springs, double exhaust springs, Titanium seat locators, titanium retainers, tripple groove locks

25. 10-30-2011 06:30 PM #25
      You know why you have low compression in cylinder 2? You do a leak down test? I am thinking maybe compromised piston rings.

26. 10-30-2011 06:34 PM #26
      You know why you have low compression in cylinder 2? You do a leak down test? I am thinking maybe compromised piston rings.
      no i dont know why yet and honestly im not too worried about doing a leak down test. after i did the compression test and got the results i did, it was immediately decided that i would do a full rebuild, better and stronger. with 190k on the car, it needs it anyway. so im looking for either a used aeb to throw in while i build mine, or a 2.8 avant as a daily that would eventually become the next project when this one is built.

and yes rings are my guess as well but its so random that im not sure. some days it pours out, other it wont smoke at all

27. 10-30-2011 06:59 PM #27
      I see built engines go for cheap all the time. After reading various build threads, it' funny how many times people wish they have gone different routes (ie buying built blocks from other people they know). I am in the same boat. If I could come across a built bottom end for $1500, I would jump on that deal in a heart beat before building the engine myself. Perfect example below. Only reason I want to do it myself is for simple experience and if anything goofed I would know it was because of me and nobody else. I think that is the main reason I don't let other people work on my car (other than my mechanic, but he a pure enthusiest).

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-etc.-(Chicago)
      Last edited by Seerlah; 10-30-2011 at 07:01 PM.

28. 10-30-2011 07:04 PM #28
      I see built engines go for cheap all the time. After reading various build threads, it' funny how many times people wish they have gone different routes (ie buying built blocks from other people they know). I am in the same boat. If I could come across a built bottom end for $1500, I would jump on that deal in a heart beat before building the engine myself. Perfect example below. Only reason I want to do it myself is for simple experience and if anything goofed I would know it was because of me and nobody else. I think that is the main reason I don't let other people work on my car (other than my mechanic, but he a pure enthusiest).

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-etc.-(Chicago)
      i feel the same way, if i got one already built and something went wrong down the road, i would be pissed that i trusted someone else's engine building over my own. if it was my fault, id have no one to blame but myself. plus like you said, im looking forward to the experience.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      hibiscus b5 s4 sedan
      11-01-2011 12:54 PM #29
      We need pictures of your fliks on the car.
      Chris

30. Member
      Vehicles
      11-01-2011 04:46 PM #30
      Hey Jordan, just realized the santorin has swings. They should be on your car!
      Alex
      Strictly Pleasure

31. Member
      Vehicles
      01 A4 BT
      11-01-2011 09:33 PM #31
      couldnt ask for a better interior. I want to move up to my headliner and pillars so bad but have heard so many people say they never want to do it again or wish they didnt...

32. 11-01-2011 10:42 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by turbwhistle View Post
      We need pictures of your fliks on the car.
      buy me tires and you got it

33. 11-01-2011 10:42 PM #33
      Hey Jordan, just realized the santorin has swings. They should be on your car!
      haha yes yes i know if only my snow ties fit them

34. Member
      Vehicles
      hibiscus b5 s4 sedan
      11-01-2011 10:43 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by ThatA4T View Post
      buy me tires and you got it
      thats what photoshop is for.
      Chris

35. 11-01-2011 10:44 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by meloman View Post
      couldnt ask for a better interior. I want to move up to my headliner and pillars so bad but have heard so many people say they never want to do it again or wish they didnt...
      im glad i did, only because it turned out amazing. but.... i dont think i ever want to do it again lol unless im getting paid, which many of my friends have offered

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast