Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 27 of 27

    Thread: 02E / 0AM : Manual to DSG Transmission Swap

    1. Member Issam Abed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 12th, 2004
      Location
      EVERYWHERE
      Posts
      13,413
      Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      10-29-2011 07:44 PM #1
      I recently picked up a brand new 02E from a VW Golf R20 (same as Audi S3 / Audi TT-S) and have been looking for information on how to perform a DSG swap into an older chassis (MKIV and older where DSG was not an option from the factory.

      Searching the web has been proven to be quite the challenge so I am going to use VWVortex as my hub for information gathering. In time this thread will morph into an FAQ / Tech thread like the rest of our threads. If you have or know anyone that has done a DSG swap into an older chassis have them post in here.

      FAQ:
      02E : VW 6 Speed wet clutch gearbox found in all north American transverse application DSG VW/Audi
      0AM : 7-Speed dry clutch found in European 1.4 TSI / 1.6 TDI / 1.8 TSI / 2.0 TSI VAG equipped vehicles (VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda)

      PDF FILES:
      02E : SSP-308 : DIRECT SHIFT GEARBOX - 02E
      4-MOTION : SSP-333 - Haldex

      Useful links:
      Last edited by Issam Abed; 10-29-2011 at 09:30 PM.

    2. 11-07-2011 02:41 PM #2
      From some of the horror stories I have heard about the DSG, I am about to swap a 5 speed in to a DSG car.

      My 5 speed has 225K on it with 0 issues and original clutch.
      Mad Dope Silly MK1 Love!
      WWW.MK1DUBZ.COM

    3. Member Issam Abed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 12th, 2004
      Location
      EVERYWHERE
      Posts
      13,413
      Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      11-08-2011 05:20 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by silentdub View Post
      From some of the horror stories I have heard about the DSG, I am about to swap a 5 speed in to a DSG car.

      My 5 speed has 225K on it with 0 issues and original clutch.
      Sorry to hear that but aside from DSG mechatronic issues , it is the gearbox of the future.

    4. Member Issam Abed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 12th, 2004
      Location
      EVERYWHERE
      Posts
      13,413
      Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      11-18-2011 04:43 AM #4
      spent the better part of the night working on an interface unit . MKIV swapers can benefit from a MKV steering wheel.

    5. 11-22-2011 07:46 PM #5
      Issam, join the discussion here : http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...al-to-DSG-swap and receive the updates.

      And for the other people : Please don't hijack his post. The man wants the swap, let him do the swap.

      I bet 80-90% of the people will only go to the forums to post when they have a problem, and nobody will come to post topics like : "Wow , I was so pleased with my DSG" or "My DSG runs so perfect, I will only buy cars with DSG". No, people come and post to forums and look for info only when they have problems with something and they need help So let the man have a DSG.

    6. Member Issam Abed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 12th, 2004
      Location
      EVERYWHERE
      Posts
      13,413
      Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      11-22-2011 11:29 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Jaxone View Post
      Issam, join the discussion here : http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...al-to-DSG-swap and receive the updates.

      And for the other people : Please don't hijack his post. The man wants the swap, let him do the swap.

      I bet 80-90% of the people will only go to the forums to post when they have a problem, and nobody will come to post topics like : "Wow , I was so pleased with my DSG" or "My DSG runs so perfect, I will only buy cars with DSG". No, people come and post to forums and look for info only when they have problems with something and they need help So let the man have a DSG.
      Hey
      do you mind posting all your information in here as we are trying to make this the official FAQ.
      Thanks for your contribution!

    7. 11-23-2011 03:41 AM #7
      Issam, I am not the one doing the swap I am just trying to help and I can not post all the information here, it's in my head and it's way to much nto post it here

      I will of course share what can be shared and help as much as possible but information regarding the whole swap process I do not have as I never performed the swap, it's Berto and Bertram that might want to share what they know.

    8. Member Issam Abed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 12th, 2004
      Location
      EVERYWHERE
      Posts
      13,413
      Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      01-08-2012 12:54 AM #8
      One of the biggest problems with the 02E is the oil cooler causing this the DSG oil to overheat (usually past 120*C). Going to be using a custom Mocal inline thermostat along with an oil cooler and this...


      should take care of the oil cooling issues nicely!

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2011
      Location
      Woodbury, MN
      Posts
      326
      Vehicles
      2008 VW Jetta 2.5
      01-13-2012 08:58 AM #9
      You mention an oil cooler problem with the DSG. Are you certain that it is ineffectiveness of oil cooler and not the oil cooling plumbing in the unit? Have you seen burnt up units because of overheating where the trans didn't compensate for temps approaching 138 C? I did see on your website a cooler system, is that for the DSG, something with more capacity? What is this plate for?

      Brad

    10. Member Issam Abed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 12th, 2004
      Location
      EVERYWHERE
      Posts
      13,413
      Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      01-13-2012 12:25 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by bjohns86 View Post
      You mention an oil cooler problem with the DSG. Are you certain that it is ineffectiveness of oil cooler and not the oil cooling plumbing in the unit? Have you seen burnt up units because of overheating where the trans didn't compensate for temps approaching 138 C? I did see on your website a cooler system, is that for the DSG, something with more capacity? What is this plate for?

      Brad
      When the temperature reaches 130*C , the car basically goes into limp mode. It is a fail safe of the DSG. There is no upgraded heat exchanger for the 02E gearbox (and if there was , I am not sure it would even work). I had the choice of either doing an upgraded heat exchanger using a laminova unit or going with an Air cooled core. I chose the air cooled route which is what the plate is for.

    11. Member Issam Abed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 12th, 2004
      Location
      EVERYWHERE
      Posts
      13,413
      Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      01-14-2012 09:18 PM #11
      Looks like the 0AM is coming to North America!
      http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publi...cle_3030.shtml


    12. 01-16-2012 06:22 PM #12
      Tbh, I never saw a fried DSG due to high temperature. I have seen defective valves and other mechanical parts in the gearbox but the electronics was always intact.

    13. Member Issam Abed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 12th, 2004
      Location
      EVERYWHERE
      Posts
      13,413
      Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      01-16-2012 11:34 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Jaxone View Post
      Tbh, I never saw a fried DSG due to high temperature. I have seen defective valves and other mechanical parts in the gearbox but the electronics was always intact.
      The vehicle goes into a sort of limp mode before any damage can take effect.

    14. Member cmrnowlin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 26th, 2010
      Location
      Tucson, AZ
      Posts
      408
      Vehicles
      2010 VW Golf TDI
      01-29-2012 08:09 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Issam Abed View Post
      When the temperature reaches 130*C , the car basically goes into limp mode. It is a fail safe of the DSG. There is no upgraded heat exchanger for the 02E gearbox (and if there was , I am not sure it would even work). I had the choice of either doing an upgraded heat exchanger using a laminova unit or going with an Air cooled core. I chose the air cooled route which is what the plate is for.
      I would like to do something simular. But, to be honest idk enough about these transmissions. Ill just follow your lead.

      Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

    15. Member Issam Abed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 12th, 2004
      Location
      EVERYWHERE
      Posts
      13,413
      Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      01-30-2012 03:19 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by cmrnowlin View Post
      I would like to do something simular. But, to be honest idk enough about these transmissions. Ill just follow your lead.

      Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
      So essentially you are waiting on me to copy what I am doing?

    16. Member cmrnowlin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 26th, 2010
      Location
      Tucson, AZ
      Posts
      408
      Vehicles
      2010 VW Golf TDI
      02-02-2012 01:52 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Issam Abed View Post
      So essentially you are waiting on me to copy what I am doing?
      Yeah pretty much. Lol.....just for the cooler and such.

      Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

    17. Member Issam Abed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 12th, 2004
      Location
      EVERYWHERE
      Posts
      13,413
      Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      02-04-2012 04:39 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by cmrnowlin View Post
      Yeah pretty much. Lol.....just for the cooler and such.
      Good luck.Without a sound understanding of 02E gearboxes I am afraid you wont get very far

    18. Member cmrnowlin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 26th, 2010
      Location
      Tucson, AZ
      Posts
      408
      Vehicles
      2010 VW Golf TDI
      02-04-2012 05:58 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Issam Abed View Post
      Good luck.Without a sound understanding of 02E gearboxes I am afraid you wont get very far
      Yeah, bit ive got a lot of fellow dubbers around me with a lot mpre knowledge so itll be alright

      Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

    19. Junior Member Jake@IRC's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 16th, 2010
      Location
      Sarasota, Florida
      Posts
      75
      Vehicles
      2009 IRC GTI
      03-08-2012 02:35 AM #19
      Interesting concepts.. If you need test mules, I have a DSG car, and I know a few high HP guys running the DSG seeing the overheating issues..
      Innovative Racing Concepts : 941 623 7791
      04 R32 10.60@ 133 stock motor. Quickest r32 in North America
      Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oc1Bl-cksg
      Follow us on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/INNOVA...24201350924127

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 26th, 2010
      Location
      Little ol UK
      Posts
      1,032
      Vehicles
      05 MK1 3.3 TT V6T
      03-08-2012 06:27 AM #20
      Im running a BT setup with DSG and ive had no issues with temps but i dont run sustained boost.
      Steve

    21. Member Issam Abed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 12th, 2004
      Location
      EVERYWHERE
      Posts
      13,413
      Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      04-19-2012 01:49 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by sTT eV6 View Post
      Im running a BT setup with DSG and ive had no issues with temps but i dont run sustained boost.
      Steve
      are you tracking the car at all?
      Quote Originally Posted by Jake@IRC View Post
      Interesting concepts.. If you need test mules, I have a DSG car, and I know a few high HP guys running the DSG seeing the overheating issues..
      Jacob.
      Will contact you if anything. Summer time is now starting in North America.

    22. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 26th, 2010
      Location
      Little ol UK
      Posts
      1,032
      Vehicles
      05 MK1 3.3 TT V6T
      04-19-2012 05:53 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Issam Abed View Post
      are you tracking the car at all?
      I dont track the car but there will be the odd run round a circuit this year.
      Im more for the strip, so the car is only under load for a short time.
      There are some peeps in the uk that fit additional oil rads for the DSG and rear diffs.
      Steve

    23. 05-31-2013 03:11 PM #23
      realy no more info on this??
      and how about the flywheels in hi power cars i had a costumer with a 300 hp and blew the dmf


    24. 06-26-2013 11:34 AM #24
      I am so tempted by a dsg in my mk2 1.8t racecar! Following this thread!

    25. 08-31-2013 06:58 PM #25
      Any updates on this?

    26. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 26th, 2010
      Location
      Little ol UK
      Posts
      1,032
      Vehicles
      05 MK1 3.3 TT V6T
      08-31-2013 07:37 PM #26
      For conversions, go mk5 R32 or S-Stronic post 2008 as the technology in the hardware/software is the next generation.
      Steve

    27. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 27th, 2005
      Location
      South Burlington Vermont
      Posts
      1,292
      Vehicles
      mk2 golf GTD, mk4 tdi swap 2.1L custom pistons, cam, intake, and fully forged bottom end.
      09-09-2013 10:59 PM #27
      Hey Issam,

      Just got a ride in one of my turbo upgrade kits cars for the new CR140 motors... This one has DSG with custom software only and is running ~230whp and 400ftlbs with a torque peak around 3100rpm. The a3 is a rocket and very smooth. Your Definitely heading in the right direction. I would be interested in what you come up with as we are looking to push the 300whp mark with the car, but know we will need some DSG goodies.

      PM me if you need some logging support.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •