Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artificial Traffic

Vehicles
      11 Camry SE 4 cyl
      11-01-2011 11:59 AM #1
      Is caused by left lane whores, which can be male or female.

Grand Rapids, Michigan (CNN) -- There is a place for people who enjoy soaking in the beautiful colors of fall and all the other amazing scenes of nature as they drive down the open highway.

It's called the right lane.

If you're sightseeing or rubbernecking in the left, get your butt over.

Why is that rule so freakin' hard to follow?

As drivers, we do a lot of things that irritate each other.

We signal but never turn.

We turn but don't signal.

We forget who is supposed to go next at a four-way stop sign.

But nothing comes close to the level of irritation that comes from being stuck behind someone doing 55 in a 65 in the far left lane. Drive the speed you want, but why infringe on the rights of those in a hurry? To me, that's giving the rest of us on the road the finger in the most passive aggressive -- "Who me?"-- way possible. In fact, I would much rather have someone pull up beside me, roll down their window and flip me the bird as they go driving by than be trapped behind this vehicular anarchist.
      The rest of the article:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/01/opinio...tml?&hpt=hp_c2

Vehicles
      '07 Mini Cooper S, '91 318is Frankenstien With a built eta swap.
      11-01-2011 12:11 PM #2
      Drive the speed you want, but why infringe on the rights of those in a hurry?
      Last edited by Robstr; 11-01-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf TDI, 2010 Mazda 3 S Sport
      11-01-2011 12:15 PM #3
      I agree...GTFOver or speed up

--edit--
      Yay, a GR news topic
      -Obama Sucks-

Vehicles
      1964 Type 1, 1992 Subaru Legacy Wagon
      11-01-2011 12:16 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Robstr View Post
      No kidding.
      "They (diesel engines) are so simple and powerful, blocks of pure logic in shining metal." - John Steinbeck

White Ribbon Campaign - Men working to end men's violence against women - www.whiteribbon.ca

Vehicles
      2002 Passat Waggy
      11-01-2011 01:05 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Zyoid View Post
      I agree...GTFOver or speed up

--edit--
      Yay, a GR news topic
      amen
      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
      L5
      passat
      http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v131/l5gcw0b/

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      11-01-2011 01:07 PM #6
      Wow, some TCLers do have real jobs on journalism.
      Did you know you can use old motor oil to fertilize your lawn?
      Quote Originally Posted by rconn14 View Post
      I hope deadmau5 is on a forum somewhere calling patrikman a douchebag too.
      Support Your Local Homebrewery Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Volt, 2011 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      11-01-2011 01:12 PM #7
      "The right of the citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, either by carriage or by automobile, is not a mere privilege which a city may prohibit or permit at will, but a common law right which he has under the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

"The right to travel is a part of the liberty of which the citizen cannot be deprived without due process of law under the Fifth Amendment."

"The right to travel is a well-established common right that does not owe its existence to the federal government. It is recognized by the courts as a natural right."

I realize that some people have a problem with this idea. But the idea that it was a mere priviledge, like conducting business on the highway is, came about well after the invention of the automobile, and it did not affect horses or horse and buggy owners a mere hundred years ago. What happened? How did we get brainwashed into thinking travelling on public roadways iwith private property was a priviledge?

"...For while a citizen has the right to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, that right does not extend to the use of the highways...as a place for private gain. For the latter purpose, no person has a vested right to use the highways of this state, but it is a privilege...which the (state) may grant or withhold at its discretion..."
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

Vehicles
      '03 S2K '12 Focus
      11-01-2011 01:25 PM #8
      Ah, one of these threads again.

To throw in my two cents, I totally share the hate for left lane campers and continually hope that their engines suffer a fiery death, but these threads never amount to anything more than a circle-jerk with others coming in for some totally EPIC trolling.
      ├┼┤2003 S2000 | ├┼┘2012 Focus SE Sport | 2009 Pontiac G8 (2011-2011) | 2008 VW R32 (2007-2011) | 2006 VW GTI (2006-2007) | 2001 Audi A4 (2002-2006)
      SAVETHERING

9. 11-01-2011 01:26 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      "The right to travel is a part of the liberty of which the citizen cannot be deprived without due process of law under the Fifth Amendment."
      Right to travel =/= right to drive.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      22b STI, F10 M5
      11-01-2011 01:49 PM #10
      If you want to see how a real highway should function go drive in Germany.

- It's illegal to use the left lane unless you're passing (this also includes traffic jams, which I'll get to)
      - If there's an accident and no Police/Ambulance at the scene you're legally obligated to stop and assist the person(s) involved until help arrives
      - During a traffic jam no one is allowed to occupy the left lane, as this lane will be used for emergency response
      - It is illegal to stop on the autobahn unless it's an emergency or a traffic jam. Having your car break down or running out of gas are not acceptable reasons to stop and may result in massive fines and a 6 month license suspension (they figure your car shouldn't be in the conditions to break down if you're on the highway).

11-01-2011 02:07 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by InternetMeme View Post

- It's illegal to use the left lane unless you're passing (this also includes traffic jams, which I'll get to)
      - If there's an accident and no Police/Ambulance at the scene you're legally obligated to stop and assist the person(s) involved until help arrives
      - During a traffic jam no one is allowed to occupy the left lane, as this lane will be used for emergency response
      - It is illegal to stop on the autobahn unless it's an emergency or a traffic jam. Having your car break down or running out of gas are not acceptable reasons to stop and may result in massive fines and a 6 month license suspension (they figure your car shouldn't be in the conditions to break down if you're on the highway).
      That would never work in America because - wait for it - it requires severe enforcement of the law. Americans don't like it when laws are enforced.

Vehicles
      2003 Jeep GC 4.0, 2002 Maxima SE
      11-01-2011 02:10 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Air-over-water View Post
      Right to travel =/= right to drive.
      exactly. And right to travel =/= right to speed as fast as you ****ing want

13. 11-01-2011 02:10 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      That would never work in America because - wait for it - it requires severe enforcement of the law. Americans don't like it when laws are enforced.
      It also would require better drivers education programs. Americans do not like to learn more than the bare minimum required to scrap by in life, for the most part it seems.

14. 11-01-2011 02:13 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by daveschi View Post
      exactly. And right to travel =/= right to speed as fast as you ****ing want
      I am not implying it does, but there have been quite a few studies that show current speed limits are set rather low considering the vehicles we have on the road.
      Sure they might have been fine when they were set in the 70's/80's but cars have improved drastically in those 30-40 years.
      Some areas have started raising speed limits on highways to 75/80/85.

Vehicles
      '03 S2K '12 Focus
      11-01-2011 02:21 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Air-over-water View Post
      Some areas have started raising speed limits on highways to 75/80/85.
      With the staggering amount of stupidity I witness on a daily basis in my area, I would be terrified to drive 85+ mph on the highway.

The subtle nuances of efficient, courteous driving are totally lost on most people. Signalling, merging, speed matching, completing a pass in a reasonable amount of time - all pieces of an important puzzle that most drivers never bothered to try.
      ├┼┤2003 S2000 | ├┼┘2012 Focus SE Sport | 2009 Pontiac G8 (2011-2011) | 2008 VW R32 (2007-2011) | 2006 VW GTI (2006-2007) | 2001 Audi A4 (2002-2006)
      SAVETHERING

11-01-2011 02:33 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Woo View Post
      With the staggering amount of stupidity I witness on a daily basis in my area, I would be terrified to drive 85+ mph on the highway.
      I wouldn't drive on the Highway if they raised it to those speeds. Too many idiots out there, totally oblivious to all the other drivers and lanes
      Signatures are for the insecure

Vehicles
      RIP 2001 Jetta 1.8T, 2009 Jetta SE 2.5L
      11-01-2011 02:37 PM #17
      I drive on highways everyday to get to work. I completely agree with this article. I ****ing hate it when people ride in the left lane and don't let others pass them. It drives me insane. Each week I see the same drivers going slow in the left lane, and most of the time, I can get around them because most of my trip involves driving through a less congested highway, then once I keep driving south, I hit more drivers and it gets more complicated to get around them.

I used to be one of those people who would get on the ass of the other person, honk my horn to get them over then speed away in accomplishment. But since I drive so much, (I put 60K on my 09 jetta when I bought it with 17K within 1 year, I know not alot compared to others), I realized that I was putting my vehicle thru too much break wear and I was loosing gas mileage. (stop n go)

So if I see an opening around someone in the left lane, I go for it like a cheetah, so I can go on my way.
      Last edited by bwalzywolfsburg; 11-01-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Vehicles
      11-01-2011 03:08 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      Words
      I say nothing of the right to travel or use publicly funded roads (If the road doesn't go some place, do you have the right to drive on a publicly funded road to get there?)

My point is, simply, that the right to travel faster than the dude that isn't going as fast as you are doesn't exist.

Yeah the left lane campers are a bitch and it'd be great if the rules were followed and enforced. But to assert that it's your right to pass them is silly. Especially so when, more often than not, the lane camper is travelling at or below the speed limit when you are travelling above it. Claiming rules of the road on someone when breaking the rules is hypocritical.
      Last edited by Robstr; 11-01-2011 at 03:10 PM.

Vehicles
      2014 Fiesta ST, 1999 A4 2.8
      11-01-2011 03:41 PM #19
      I say nothing of the right to travel or use publicly funded roads (If the road doesn't go some place, do you have the right to drive on a publicly funded road to get there?)

My point is, simply, that the right to travel faster than the dude that isn't going as fast as you are doesn't exist.

Yeah the left lane campers are a bitch and it'd be great if the rules were followed and enforced. But to assert that it's your right to pass them is silly. Especially so when, more often than not, the lane camper is travelling at or below the speed limit when you are travelling above it. Claiming rules of the road on someone when breaking the rules is hypocritical.
      You do have the right to go the speed limit though. So, as in the article, if someone's going 55 in a 65 in the left lane blocking you, you do have the right to travel faster than him, no?
      Quote Originally Posted by Dpaul04 View Post
      Dude, Im posting in TCL.. If I didn't know everything I wouldn't be here.
      Quote Originally Posted by Nubbin View Post
      Saying the P1 doesn't excite you because of hybrid is like saying you find Scarlett Johansson repulsive because she shares the same gender as Rosie O'Donnell.

Vehicles
      11-01-2011 03:57 PM #20
      No you don't. They are well within the rules to travel slower than the speed limit as they see fit (in absence of a minimum posted speed).

If they're travelling slower than the right lane traffic they're in the wrong but that says nothing about it being your right to go faster them.
      Last edited by Robstr; 11-01-2011 at 03:59 PM.

21. 11-01-2011 04:08 PM #21
      No you don't. They are well within the rules to travel slower than the speed limit as they see fit (in absence of a minimum posted speed).

If they're travelling slower than the right lane traffic they're in the wrong but that says nothing about it being your right to go faster them.
      "Slow traffic move right" which means, if i'm going 1,000 miles per hour, get the **** out of my way. It's not "Slow traffic move right if you feel like it, or if the oncoming car is going below the speed limit"

Either way, In the event of a camper, I prefer to make a scene: I flash, honk, finger, and cutoff all of them. Maybe those zombies will finally get the hint.
      Quote Originally Posted by Aperture View Post
      That door handle is horrible. I wish they would've used a flap-style integrated into the crease.
      Quote Originally Posted by mikegilbert View Post
      I would love to spin you off the road into a ditch.

Vehicles
      11-01-2011 04:11 PM #22

The subtle nuances of efficient, courteous driving are totally lost on most people. Signalling, merging, speed matching, completing a pass in a reasonable amount of time - all pieces of an important puzzle that most drivers never bothered to try.
      agreed. it's exponential when increasing speed. Sure new cars have the tech, but older cars don't, and they'd be "allowed" to go just as fast. Add that to people's reaction times/driving habits/cell phone usage remaining unadjusted, and it's a huge recipe for disaster. Maybe different license tiers with different tests, or something like that would work.

Vehicles
      11-01-2011 04:12 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by flat6guy View Post
      "Slow traffic move right" which means, if i'm going 1,000 miles per hour, get the **** out of my way. It's not "Slow traffic move right if you feel like it, or if the oncoming car is going below the speed limit"

Either way, In the event of a camper, I prefer to make a scene: I flash, honk, finger, and cutoff all of them. Maybe those zombies will finally get the hint.
      This is what I tend to do. The lady hates it.

Vehicles
      '03 S2K '12 Focus
      11-01-2011 04:13 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by daveschi View Post
      agreed. it's exponential when increasing speed. Sure new cars have the tech, but older cars don't, and they'd be "allowed" to go just as fast. Add that to people's reaction times/driving habits/cell phone usage remaining unadjusted, and it's a huge recipe for disaster. Maybe different license tiers with different tests, or something like that would work.
      I'd rather everyone be held to the same speed limits, TBH.

Now, lane restrictions might be a pretty neat idea.
      SAVETHERING

Vehicles
      '06 Tiburon SE V6, 6spd
      11-01-2011 04:15 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by flat6guy View Post
      "Slow traffic move right"
      Bingo, this is what it's all about people. Ever take a minute to notice those signs on the road?
      Quote Originally Posted by a3lad View Post
      the mods aborted the thread and now who knows what that thread might have turn out to be... maybe one day it wouldve cured cancer.

Vehicles
      2014 Fiesta ST, 1999 A4 2.8
      11-01-2011 04:29 PM #26

Sorry, miscommunication. I was thinking more of a liberty right (privilege), not so much a Consitutional or inherent right. i.e. you have the liberty and privilege to pass them as much as they have the liberty/privilege to go under the posted limit, but this is not an inherent right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dpaul04 View Post
      Dude, Im posting in TCL.. If I didn't know everything I wouldn't be here.
      Quote Originally Posted by Nubbin View Post
      Saying the P1 doesn't excite you because of hybrid is like saying you find Scarlett Johansson repulsive because she shares the same gender as Rosie O'Donnell.

27. 11-01-2011 04:37 PM #27

It is not the left lane campers job to enforce the law.
      In some places the police/Highway Patrol will pull you over for impeding the flow of traffic (I got a ticket for this while going to a VW event, even though it was another blue MKIV R32 that was camping in the left lane trying to get rolling shots...FHP pulled over the first car (me) that fit the description..)

Vehicles
      Saab STi, SportWagen TDi
      11-01-2011 05:02 PM #28

I lived in Germany and I drove in traffic on the A8 in the Stuttgart area every day for nearly 2 years.

I'm here to tell you, when there's traffic the left lane IS occupied fully. Always. I never saw anyone cited for it. It would not make sense to have traffic and use only one or two lanes, when using the third lane could free the traffic jam.

You're right on most of the other things. Running out of gas on the autobahn is a fineable offense, because it was your fault. You knew you were low on fuel. Your car breaking down on the other hand, is an unpreventable circumstance. Again, seen it happen many times and have never seen anyone fined for it.
      Turbo Unicorn | HS Tuning | 42DD | Cabin Krew

11-01-2011 06:16 PM #29

I wonder if this part has been relaxed in the past few years or so by the ****** of Autos with the reliability problems of, for example, modern Mercedes.
      2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring

Vehicles
      11-01-2011 06:26 PM #30
      I'd rather everyone be held to the same speed limits, TBH.

Now, lane restrictions might be a pretty neat idea.
      haha, I'd support that wholeheartedly.

Vehicles
      8 Rings / TDI
      11-01-2011 06:34 PM #31

I would love to spin you off the road into a ditch.
      Last edited by mikegilbert; 11-01-2011 at 06:43 PM.
      PM Travy℠ |flickr | mikegilbertphotography.com | Everything you need to know | » | DrinkTanks | Scratch-It™ | Buy Me!
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Keep things in Ohio under control while i'm gone. My house is full of guns if you need anything.

Vehicles
      11-01-2011 06:40 PM #32
      I'm not a slow driver.

But I'm sorry u mad bro. You're going to be the one to end up in a ditch because you're flipping a **** about something completely not worth the effort.
      Last edited by Robstr; 11-01-2011 at 06:42 PM.

Vehicles
      8 Rings / TDI
      11-01-2011 06:46 PM #33
      You never know why someone is in a hurry. Why make it your business to hinder someone who just wants to get where they need to be. Move out of the way, and let them pass. It's that simple.
      PM Travy℠ |flickr | mikegilbertphotography.com | Everything you need to know | » | DrinkTanks | Scratch-It™ | Buy Me!
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Keep things in Ohio under control while i'm gone. My house is full of guns if you need anything.

34. 11-01-2011 06:51 PM #34
      Most of the roads that are 80+ are out in the middle of nowhere and mostly straight.
      Our toll roads are 75 in some parts.

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      11-01-2011 06:58 PM #35
      There's far too much traffic in SoCal to allow the left lane for passing only.
      Fortunately, the Prius hyper-milers hold up the carpool lane, leaving the fast lane for everyone else.

Driving below the posted speed limit in the fast lane (assuming weather and traffic conditions are normal) should be a capital crime.

Tailgating, however, should also be punishable by death, as should failure to use signal and cutting off other drivers. In fact, drivers should die for breaking traffic laws. (except me, of course)

:gift:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast