Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: What does bad strut bearings sound like?

1. 11-03-2011 12:09 AM #1
      I paid a bundle in labor to have some coilovers (ST) installed recently. The car has 40k miles, I asked the shop ahead of time if the strut bearings should be replaced at the same time and was told it wasn't necessary. Now, when the car first starts moving in reverse I can hear a low grind/bind sound that seems to go away once driving (unless it's the source of the low/quiet "roar" that I figured was tire noise). It kind of sounds like the front suspension is shifting a little. I think I'm hearing it when slow rolling forward from a stop after sitting for hours also now.

Does this sound like strut bearings or something else binding/shifting? Also, until I can jack the car up again, what would be signs of a bad wheel bearing other than play in the wheel?

Vehicles
      '08 Audi A3 (8P), '99 Golf MkIV, '89 Porsche 951S
      11-03-2011 10:34 AM #2
      Bad strut bearings usually produce 'knocks' over bumps...

Your description sounds more like rusty rotors... some grinding noise after move-off when starting in the morning. -You're not parking near any sprinklers that come on at night, are you? (not that this is particularly bad, other than it makes the rotors noisy for a while, because it produces so much surface rust...)
      Quote Originally Posted by MisterJJ View Post
      A "jump from a VW to an Audi"?!? I wouldn't call it a jump. It's more like shuffling along the sidewalk, tripping on a crack, bumping into a gorgeous blonde, walking away in a daze, and later finding out that she stole your wallet.

3. 11-03-2011 01:57 PM #3
      Definitely not the brakes dragging on surface rust. It sounds more like spring binding/thumping.

Vehicles
      ’10 A3 2.0T DSG Ice Silver
      11-03-2011 02:14 PM #4
      can't you just take it back to the install shop and have them take a look?

if you paid a good amount for the install, i'm sure there's no sweat. leads me to my second question, why did you pay so much and how much is a bundle?

5. 11-04-2011 06:40 PM #5
      Yeah it could be the bearings. I replaced the plastic ring parts but not the rubber parts and I wish I wouldve just spend the extra whatever and did it all.

6. 11-29-2011 09:56 PM #6
      So it sounds like the front struts were DOA right out of the box. Great. Will know for sure when the front suspension is taken apart for a second time in the next week. There's multiple threads about the issue in the vw forums. The noise is driving me crazy, sounds horrible every time the car starts moving and can feel it through the steering wheel.

At 40k miles, should the strut bearings still be good and/or should I replace them while in there anyway?

7. Member
      Vehicles
      06 A3, 07 EOS, some BMWs
      11-29-2011 10:06 PM #7
      the deal with strut bearings is that they like to sit at one angle only. if you put different struts in at any mileage they might be unhappy. If it's a clicking when turning it's probably the bearings. I would suspect it's the struts if you are getting a bouncy front over bumps without clicking. I don't understand how clicking could be the strut.
      2007 VW EOS 2.0T, APR stage 2
      2006 Audi A3 2.0T DSG, sport, winter, APR stage 2
      2002 BMW X5 4.4 V8
      1989 BMW 325i 5spd, M50 motorswap, stripped for track duty