Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Window Regulator DIY Replacement Adventure on my 2004 V8 Phaeton - Courtesy of TheAmazingDave

1. 11-06-2011 02:44 PM #1
      Hi all!

It's been awhile but I still have my Phaeton. However, the shrinking economy has made my Phaeton my daily driver and furthermore I have to fix things on a budget. I now have 110,000 miles on it.

Let the record reflect the window regulator died at around 108,000 miles, and I also have one more soon to die as well.

In August, my front passenger side window regulator died making awful crunching noises. The window was stuck in the up position, but required to be pulled up every day by hand. I was scared of rain and I hadn't give my car a proper wash because of it.

I had to wait for a while to get the $236 part and then recruited the help of my friend TheAmazingDave to dare do this replacement ourselves (and sans special VW tools)

Thanks to the instructions already posted here we were able to work it out, (thanks Michael!) , although 90% of the work was done by TheAmazingDave. Instead of special tools we used a plastic card and a slightly kinked bike wrench, the flat type.

Also, sad to say there are quite a lot of cheap plastic parts holding the window tracks and in my case, they broke in several places. I see a rash of regulator having to be replaced soon.

There are better threads with better pics and instructions - this is the ghetto version of those threads.

The job gets started, removing the top trim first. Had to be firm when pulling the cable connections out

Then, we used a plastic card and the bike wrench to get to the fasteners. We popped them out, mostly unopened. We did break one of the white brackets

Note the wrench is slightly kinked:

See the broken fastener:

Speakers and Window motor have to be removed:

The damage can be seen:

To quote several manuals, the installation is the reverse of removal:

Some notes:

The tricky part is also aligning the window correctly when placing it back

We held the window in the open position, taped it to the frame while we were doing repairs

We removed most of the fasteners unopened, but were able to do the job OK nonetheless

Took us about 4 and half hours to do the job.

Thanks to TheAmazingDave who took the call of duty!

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      11-06-2011 03:45 PM #2
      Archival Note:

Related posts with similar content -

Repair / Replacement of Window Regulator

Keyless Entry Issues (consolidated discussions)

Michael
      Please don't send me technical questions via IM - instead, post your questions onto the end of the most appropriate thread in the FAQ, so that everyone can benefit from the answer, and everyone can assist in providing the answer. Thanks, Michael

Vehicles
      2005 Phaeton V10 swb 4-seat, Jeep Commander Hemi, Ssangyong Korando
      11-06-2011 06:34 PM #3
      Once again, there is so much useful information on this forum. Thanks to ciscokidinsf for adding more real-world experience to Michael's precision information.

Chris

Vehicles
      1971 Super Beetle
      11-09-2011 12:16 PM #4
      Cisco, always glad to help a friend.

A few notes:
      1) The Phaeton's door construction is standard to other VWs of the era. If you've taken one apart, you've taken them all apart. In fact, once the wood trim panel was off, it was an easier job than it is on a "lowly" VW. There were only a few small variances. For instance, the regulator panel in a Golf/Jetta, Beetle, or Passat has the latch module connected to it and comes out of the door as one unit; this is not the case on the Phaeton which shaves much time off of the job. Otherwise, behind the door trim panel, the door is essentially the same as any other VW what with a few more wires and an extra speaker. The latch release handle linkage, the regulator panel mounting, and the attachment of the window to the regulator is all standard to VW. Going in to the job I was a bit concerned, but after getting the door open it was good to see that if you've done one, you've done them all.

2) Removal of the wood trim is sketchy. It's the same style wood trim in other VWs, that is to say it is a wood veneer encased in plastic. I know from experience that they crack easily and took my time to remove it. I used my Safeway card and a small hard wood wedge that I fashioned after looking at pictures of the official plastic wedge VW uses. Starting with gentle pressure in front of and under the speaker, I slowly worked the panel off front to back. The door latch release handle must be fully extended to remove this panel from the door. There are various electrical connectors that must also be carefully removed. The handle cup LED connector takes a good tug to remove, If you do it yourself make sure to use needlenose plier and only grab the plug itself. Do not pull from the wires as you'd destroy it.

3) I fashioned my bike wrench as close to the official tool as possible. The bends enabled me to slip the wrench over the fasteners, but the wrench was too big to engage the release collar. It didn't make much difference, applying firm and steady pressure over the fasteners released them from the door anyway, which is my experience from past jobs as I only made the tool to ease Cisco's concerns, and I was able to re-engage all fasteners to the door in their "closed" position by applying gentle pressure to the panel over the fasteners.

4) That one fastener mentioned was already broken before I got to it; there was nothing there for me to pop loose when I removed the panel and a small tear in the panel's vinyl seems to reveal someone was tugging on the panel previously. It had no effect on the sturdiness of the panel before or after the door was opened however, and if there were no time constraints, I would have had enough material to fix it properly.

VWs
      Last edited by TheAmazingDave; 11-09-2011 at 12:24 PM.
      Half Herbie, half orange sherbert. He's Herbert, the 1971 Clementine Super Beetle. (ô\_!_/ô)

5. 05-18-2012 01:32 PM #5
      thanks for the info. But I still can't figure out how to remove the wood trim. I was able to move the trim on the outer leftside (drivers door) but the rest was still tight and didn't moved what ever I tried or put in between.
      Maybe I was also to afraid to destroy the trim.

Any advice?

thanks

ps.: I talked to a VW tech guy in germany about the fasteners. Believe it or not, they are MENT to break, when trying to remove the door trim. New ones just cost 40 cents and a replacement is standard procedure when disassembling the door.
      Last edited by AudianerA6; 05-18-2012 at 01:36 PM.

6. 09-08-2013 01:53 AM #6
      Hi everyone,

My passenger side window is making a lot of noises, and I have been told that its the window regulator on it way out.

What exactly does the window regulator look like?
      It doesn't seem to be the motor, or a pneumatic looking object... what exactly is it?
      I have been told it has something to do with a cable, is saying "window regulator" just a fancy way of saying a wire cable?

I just want to know so that when I source it I know what the pictures of the object I am trying to buy should look like.

Regards
      Chris

Vehicles
      09-08-2013 06:30 AM #7
      Hi Chris,

The information you need is posted in the Phaeton forum index pages, which are linked as a sticky on the first page of the forum:

Phaeton Forum Table of Contents (FAQ by Category)

You can use your browser's text search facility (usually Ctrl-F) and look for 'regulator'. There should be full descriptions and photos in there.

The TOC (alias FAQ) is a good place to find most reference information that has been posted in the forum to date, although sometimes you have to try searching for various alternative names for some item.

Cheers,
      Chris

8. 09-08-2013 03:45 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Paximus View Post
      Hi Chris,

The information you need is posted in the Phaeton forum index pages, which are linked as a sticky on the first page of the forum:

Phaeton Forum Table of Contents (FAQ by Category)

You can use your browser's text search facility (usually Ctrl-F) and look for 'regulator'. There should be full descriptions and photos in there.

The TOC (alias FAQ) is a good place to find most reference information that has been posted in the forum to date, although sometimes you have to try searching for various alternative names for some item.

Cheers,
      Chris
      Thanks Chris,

I searched through the Phaeton Forum and the TOC pages. For the most part, a lot of the threads where more about disassembly, and how to take the door apart. There are a few threads that point to the "Door Handle repair and replacement" thread that again describe how to take the door apart, there is also threads on window regulators and lower door corrosion, or corrosion in turn causing window regulator problems. I even went so deep as looking at the upgraded 270W Speaker distortion problems, since they also require having the door opened up
      It seems like it is located towards the bottom of the door.

Lots of information on various problems and causes, replacement DIYs, but absolutely nothing it would seem on what the thing looks like. I am stumped. This thread has the best picture so far of the out of focus thing with what looks like a cable coiled up in it.
      I have seen part number diagrams but it pictured as a tiny blob of black since they always seem to be zoomed out schematics highlighting a whole bunch of parts for the door assembly.

I am at my whits end in trying to figure out what exactly this window regulator is or looks like.

Vehicles
      09-08-2013 07:29 PM #9
      Ah, in that case, have a look at these photos of Phaeton window regulators and see if that helps identify what you are looking for...

Chris

10. 09-08-2013 08:38 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Paximus View Post
      Ah, in that case, have a look at these photos of Phaeton window regulators and see if that helps identify what you are looking for...

Chris
      Thanks Chris.
      Ah, I saw that object, but nobody said that - that was the window regulator. On German and other foreign ebays they list that as a window motor, and even on some English sites they call it a window motor.
      So if that is the window regulator, do I have to get a set of cables? Or is the cable coiled up in the round section of that object?
      Someone told me that when you buy window regulators, it comes as a "kit" (regulator, cables, connectors etc) Im assuming if I buy used, I would have to source separate cables?

By the way, the noise is supposedly the cable all fraying and the one causing all the noise so Iv heard. This is why all my concerns are about ensuring whatever this window regulator thing is has cables on it/(in it??), for surely if the cables are the ones fraying I would need new ones.

This is leading me to think I should just go to the dealership and be reluctantly overcharged...

Ill call up a good friend who works on these cars (and Bentleys) and bug him to help me out if the dealership turns out to be out of my current budget. Its turning out to be not as obvious to me as I might have initially thought.

Thanks for all your help Chris!

11. 09-08-2013 08:58 PM #11
      The noise isn't the cables fraying, it's the cheap plastic pulley wheels breaking, which probably causes the cables to fray!

Vehicles
      09-16-2013 04:30 AM #12
      Hi Chris,

Josh just posted an interesting photo of a repair he did to a broken pulley on the cable attached to the window regulator. See this thread:

Repaired Dennis's window regulator pulley

Chris