Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JSW Owners Beware: Rust behind rear plate from screws being too long

Vehicles
      09 JSW; 07 WE
      11-06-2011 08:18 PM #1
      It looks like this has been mentioned on the TDI club forum before (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=280368), but a quick search turned up nothing here on the vortex.

Just purchased a CPO'ed 2009 JSW and upon detailing it (dealer did a worthless job), I noticed that the dealer-installed screws for the rear license plate are too long and the self-tapping kind and are jabbing into the body of the lift gate. There's four small rust spots now that are through the paint and it's bubbling around a couple of them. Awesome. Here are some pics:

The extent of rust makes me think that this was likely caused during it's previous ownership (other than the nice fresh primer that can be seen in the upper left and perhaps the line in the lower right). It's definitely not a simple clay/touch up job at this point. I plan on calling the dealership tomorrow morning and speaking to the GM, as I certainly would not have bought this car without it being fixed. I was quoted $300 by a reputable local shop, but they recommended taking it to the dealer/VWOA first. Let's see what the dealer GM has to say.

Check your screws!

Vehicles
      2010 VW GSW TDI
      11-06-2011 11:10 PM #2
      Very first thing I did to my car the day it came home with me was replace them screws!!
      .: PG 2006 Jetta 2.5L - OEM Font fogs - OEM Euro Navigation - OEM DG Sport Springs - OEM GTI Switch :.
      .: BG 2010 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT Highline - OEM Euroswitch - OEM Racks - 17" Avignon - H&R Sport springs :.
      .: Flickr :. .: Equipped! :.

Vehicles
      '06 Campy White Touareg V6 & 2013 Ibis White Audi allroad
      11-07-2011 01:47 AM #3
      I shaved the end of the screws and put four squares of thick paint protection film down where the screws used to touch the paint.

Vehicles
      '95 e36 m3, '04 e60 530i sport
      11-07-2011 02:00 AM #4
      yeah, I noticed this the first time I did anything with the plate. I replaced the screws with shorter versions that don't touch the car.
      PNWfahren - Pacific Northwest Regional Car Enthusiast Forum Community
      2009 VW SportWagen TDI sold =-=-= 1995 M3 -=- 2004 530i

Vehicles
      '09, Sportwagen SEL / '12 Passat TDI SEL
      11-07-2011 10:10 AM #5
      Thanks for the heads up, just found 4 little rust spots. What do I win?
      Adjusting my lifestyle with the grace and wisdom of a potato.

Vehicles
      97 GTI Charged VR .. 2011 CW JSW
      11-07-2011 11:06 AM #6
      Thanks for this info, can't wait to get home and check/and or fix mine!

Vehicles
      09 JSW; 07 WE
      11-07-2011 11:18 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Kid Hobo View Post
      Thanks for the heads up, just found 4 little rust spots. What do I win?
      Hopefully a free repair from VW. The local body shop that I spoke to (that specializes in VW/Audi) seemed to think that VW might have a "silent recall" or TSB related to this issue.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 VW JSW TDI
      11-07-2011 11:23 AM #8
      they dont have a recall on this, or well not yet if it does become an issue.
      Almost all have this problem I think, because vw does not supply screws for the PDI inspectoin so the dealers just install what ever screws they have for thier dealer plates into the bracket.
      I knew this, so when I PDI'ed my car, I didn't put screws in till I put my plate on.
      Bunch of stuff.

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      11-07-2011 11:42 AM #9
      Within a month of getting my car I noticed this and even made a thread about the ridiculous plate mounts we have...

Until I can get a custom bracket made for my Volvo plate holder, I'm using zip ties to hold my plate on...

I picked up some paint pens from VW and touched up the area...no rust yet!
      OEM+ Bi-Xenon HIDs | Front & Rear Fogs | Highline CECM | Euroswitch | RNS-510 HW:08 SW:1140 w/ Software VIM | Backup Camera | 9W7 | Dash Cubby | Aspherical Mirrors | GTI Steering Wheel w/ .:R Badge | GTI 6MT Shift Knob | GTI E-Brake Boot | GTI Pedals | GTI 18" Detroits
      Not so OEM+ Koni Coilovers | Gentex Homelink Mirror | Yaesu FTM-350AR

Vehicles
      09 JSW; 07 WE
      11-07-2011 12:22 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Code3VW View Post
      Within a month of getting my car I noticed this and even made a thread about the ridiculous plate mounts we have...

Until I can get a custom bracket made for my Volvo plate holder, I'm using zip ties to hold my plate on...

I picked up some paint pens from VW and touched up the area...no rust yet!
      Good call on the zip ties. I know ECS sells a variety of plate screws which might also work as an alternative. Sounds like you caught the problem soon enough to avoid the rust that I have. Wish this were a simple touch up job for me! I was told that the areas would need to be sanded and that the whole lift gate resprayed to avoid paint shrinkage. Calling my dealer soon...

Vehicles
      2004 Treg (taken out by a deer); 2005 Jetta (sold); 2008 GMC 2500; current car-Red 2012 JSW tdi
      11-07-2011 01:41 PM #11
      Beat up the dealership when I discovered the same thing after getting the 2011 JSW to the house last month(Sep 2011). Didn't findout until i mounted the permanent plates which came in the mail. They gave me some touchup paint for free and were apologetic that it had happened. I'm sure they just grab the cheapest screws for the job with out realizing their mistake. I Cut the old ones off much shorter with dremel tool and touched uup the spots.

Vehicles
      '09, Sportwagen SEL / '12 Passat TDI SEL
      11-07-2011 02:18 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by trudub View Post
      Hopefully a free repair from VW. The local body shop that I spoke to (that specializes in VW/Audi) seemed to think that VW might have a "silent recall" or TSB related to this issue.
      I'll throw it out there, but realistically... I'll probably just do my own fix: http://www.paintscratch.com/

Good enough for under a plate.
      Adjusting my lifestyle with the grace and wisdom of a potato.

Vehicles
      09 JSW; 07 WE
      11-07-2011 02:51 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Kid Hobo View Post
      I'll throw it out there, but realistically... I'll probably just do my own fix: http://www.paintscratch.com/

Good enough for under a plate.
      For some, yes. Either this or the dealer's touch up pens. But if the metal is rusting and not just at the surface, it needs to be sanded down first.

14. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2011 Golf Wagon 2.5 (prev. 2000 Golf 2.0; 1989 Golf)
      11-07-2011 07:33 PM #14
      Son of a bitch! (a la Cartman)

So what kind of plate bracket is used on all the other models?

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 JSW 2.5S
      11-08-2011 10:19 AM #15
      I've got 3 of 4 spots...they look pretty minor, but clearly want to fix them. Since I'm no longer near the dealer where I bought the car, it's going to be a ton of hassle to get anyone to be accountable for this on my car, and I'd rather not have the whole tailgate repainted.

Advice I was given was to use naval jelly to eliminate the rust and then touch up paint on top. Since the spots are hidden, it doesn't need to be perfect, just protected! Provided the holes aren't all the way through, it should work.

I'm going to give this a shot and I'll post when done.

Vehicles
      2011 JSW TDI
      11-11-2011 11:27 AM #16
      Thanks a lot for posting this. Mine were digging, too. This is probably the most annoying "problem" I have encountered with my 2011 JSW in 4.5 months of ownership. To the dealer's credit I went in there last night and after a short conversation they gave me both paint pens to fix it myself.

Vehicles
      09 JSW; 07 WE
      11-11-2011 01:02 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by rts9364 View Post
      Thanks a lot for posting this. Mine were digging, too. This is probably the most annoying "problem" I have encountered with my 2011 JSW in 4.5 months of ownership. To the dealer's credit I went in there last night and after a short conversation they gave me both paint pens to fix it myself.
      No worries. Clearly the problem has been around since the inception of the JSW. It's really unfortunate that VW has not issued a TSB or recall (to my knowledge).

The dealer I bought my CPO JSW from is going to have my car repaired at their body shop, free of charge. This makes sense, given that the CPO checklist states "Any dings, dents, scratches to the body where paint is broken ... need to be professionally repaired." We'll see how the repair goes -- hopefully they do a good job and don't cut corners. I'll report back.
      Last edited by truwagen; 11-11-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Vehicles
      Z24, MKIV Jetta Wagon, MKV GTI, E91 - MK6 Golf Wagon TDI
      11-11-2011 02:22 PM #18
      this is good to know.
      thanks.

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta Wagon TDI
      11-11-2011 05:52 PM #19
      damn it! Just noticed them too on my 2012 JSW. I even told them about being careful when swapping plates from my old car onto this new one. Going to the dealer first thing next week to get it fixed.
      2012 Candy White Jetta Sport Wagon TDI

20. n00b
      Vehicles
      2011 JSW TDI
      11-12-2011 11:29 AM #20
      The bad news is that I got rear ended in my '11 JSW a couple of weeks back. Boston drivers! The good news is that I'm getting a new rear hatch and can start fresh with the newly ground down license plate mounting screws.

21. 11-13-2011 08:22 PM #21
      If you do end up fixing the rust holes, sand them down until you they are shiny and then put some rust converter over them. Otherwise, just putting touch up paint over them will not last.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      03-18-2012 02:15 PM #22
      Talked to my service writer about this. At least at this dealer, service techs don't put on the plates, so that's why you get sheet metal screws from Lowe's instead of something OEM.

Anybody know what the right parts are? Is there something else suitable out of the VW group catalog?

I'd like something that just works.

- Solid attachments to both the plate and to the car
      - No scratching
      - Easy on & easy off, so you can clean behind it
      - Nice quality Machine threaded fasteners, preferably torx or a security screw

Site sponsors, anybody willing to solve this for us at a good price?
      Last edited by Outrider6; 03-18-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 JSW TDi CW Titan 6MT Pano Nav Interlagos, Malone 1.5/////2010 Passat Komfort Wagon
      03-18-2012 03:53 PM #23
      I noticed this on my '12 JSW. Some rust stains under the license plate. Think the rust is just from the crappy black sheet metal screws that they used to attach the plate not from the screws digging into the hatch. I've been looking for some stainless screws and found some BUT they are a bit larger in diameter and a bit longer. Been thinking of putting on a clear plastic license plate cover which might make the screws "short" enough not to touch the paint. Hadn't thought of dremeling them down. Might have to "borrow" the wife's dremel. Unfortunately I've been overcome by "R&D"....Research and Delay and I'm watching the F1 race in Australia (yeah, delayed..just couldn't stay up til 0100 for the live view). Go Button!

Vehicles
      Cobalt Blue '09 Passat Wagon 6MT Comfortline
      03-18-2012 05:30 PM #24
      wow, what kind of stupid mounting system is that? Here's what they used on the Passat Wagon, they could easily have done this. But I suppose they have to cut costs somewhere...

you can see the rust in the screw holes from the original screws put in be the dealer, and obviously it hasn't been cleaned back there.
      yaya, bunch of mods go here... | www.angelico.ca |

buy my extra stuff http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...olf-things-too
      --Have VCDS in Nova Scotia, PM me if you need a hand...

Vehicles
      09 JSW; 07 WE
      03-19-2012 07:11 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Outrider6 View Post
      Talked to my service writer about this. At least at this dealer, service techs don't put on the plates, so that's why you get sheet metal screws from Lowe's instead of something OEM.

Anybody know what the right parts are? Is there something else suitable out of the VW group catalog?

I'd like something that just works.

- Solid attachments to both the plate and to the car
      - No scratching
      - Easy on & easy off, so you can clean behind it
      - Nice quality Machine threaded fasteners, preferably torx or a security screw

Site sponsors, anybody willing to solve this for us at a good price?
      I ended up buying stainless button head screws off ebay -- M6 x 10mm. link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=370548632651

I needed to widen the stock hole a little for them to fit (they've got a flat, non-tapping end). They work great and are not long enough to come close to making contact with the body.

PS- I had my rust taken care of by the dealer I purchased my JSW from.

03-19-2012 08:30 AM #26
      I noticed the same thing with the screws my dealer used right after I got the car. thankfully there was no rust, but I knew it'd come with the sheet metal exposed (especially up here with all the salt).

I removed those screws, then removed the plate bracket. Drilled the holes on the bracket a bit bigger. Put carriage bolts through them (with electrical taple on the back, so they didn't scratch the paint), and put the bracket back on the car. Then I mounted the plate on the carriage bolts, and secured it with nuts.

This solution took me 10 minutes to do and cost a total of $2 with screws I had to buy at retail.

Makes one wonder why VW doesn't either supply the right screws, or just build something like I did.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta sportwagon TDi/ 1992 lexus SC300
      03-19-2012 09:23 AM #27
      When I bought the car I told the sales guy to use short screws because I didnt want those to go into my paint like everyone else. He listened to me thankfully.

Vehicles
      ERMAHGERD_I_HAS_YELA_FROG_LIGHTS
      03-19-2012 10:10 AM #28
      Yeah I noticed this issue when I bought the car and removed my paper plates. To install my good old ohio plates I was lucky to catch it when it was just a scratch in the paint. I just took a OEM VW clear coat paint pen and applied that over the scratch. Just in case some salt gets to it this might slow it down. Then cut 2mm off some locking license plate screws and tapped bracket haven't checked but should be fine.

Vehicles
      2009 JSW TDI Current/Past E90 BMW 330i, 2004 Golf TDI, IY 20th AE, 2003 Silverstone GTi
      03-19-2012 11:24 AM #29
      I bought my car in Philly (i'm the second owner) and never noticed this issue when i swapped my plates about a year ago. The car only had the top two bolts in anyways, not all 4 like i'm noticing with you guys. I dont think I have this problem.

Anyone else NOT have this issue? Or is this like a "if you have a JSW, you have this issue" sort of thing?

Justin

30. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006 VW Jetta, 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
      03-19-2012 11:40 AM #30
      I just got my official license plates installed over the weekend, and lo and behold, this thread pops up. I checked under the brackets, and sure enough, the screws dug into the paint.

Looks like there's no rust yet, so I'm inclined to just shave down the screws and put a dash of touch-up paint on the car. Also gave my service guy a call, and he said he'll call back. Will see what happens.
      Power is nothing without control - Pirelli

03-19-2012 11:41 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by jettasportwagen View Post
      I bought my car in Philly (i'm the second owner) and never noticed this issue when i swapped my plates about a year ago. The car only had the top two bolts in anyways, not all 4 like i'm noticing with you guys. I dont think I have this problem.

Anyone else NOT have this issue? Or is this like a "if you have a JSW, you have this issue" sort of thing?

Justin
      I think that if the screws were short enough it wouldn't be an issue. It's only an issue if you had someone put long screws in. In my case, they were self tapping so they self tapped right into the metal.

I also imagine there is a "right" screw to use but that few dealers know what they are, or have them on hand.

The moutning system sucks, and should be redone. They shoudl use studs on the plate bracket with a locknut that bolts on, similar to how I did mine.

Vehicles
      04 R bought new traded for '12 JSW TDI
      03-20-2012 12:33 AM #32
      I picked up my car today and thanks to this thread I have dodged the bullet. They would have used 1/2 inch self tappers. As I showed the dealer, they were too long. I picked up some 1/4 inch #6 stainless machine screws which worked perfectly in the plastic bracket. Thanks for the heads up.

Vehicles
      09 JSW; 07 WE
      03-20-2012 12:18 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by argh32 View Post
      I picked up my car today and thanks to this thread I have dodged the bullet. They would have used 1/2 inch self tappers. As I showed the dealer, they were too long. I picked up some 1/4 inch #6 stainless machine screws which worked perfectly in the plastic bracket. Thanks for the heads up.
      good work and congrats on the new sportwagen.

Maybe we can get this thread added to the DIY??

34. 03-20-2012 03:02 PM #34
      Mine had little scratches, but no rust easy fix with touch up paint and new screws.

35. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006 VW Jetta, 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
      03-22-2012 11:28 AM #35
      Update: Dealership added some touch-up paint and trimmed the screws down. They did a rather messy job with the touch-up paint, but I can live with it as it is out of sight and won't affect resale value. I was more concerned with rust than anything else.
      Power is nothing without control - Pirelli

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast