Thread: Cheezy build thread

1. Member
      11-08-2011 01:13 PM #1
      Page 2: better shots of the bay and first cracked pan

Page 3: Headliner and GLI parts

Page 4: New tire mounted, parts collection, and another cracked pan

Page 5: Air ride install

Hey everyone,

Gotta start off by saying how much I appreciate a forum like this being in existence. If it wasn't for the internet, I don't think I would have ever had the balls to start working on my own car. A lot of you guys know your ****, and your passion for these vehicles has fueled my desire to modify my own.

I'm 23 now. When I bought this car I was 16 and didn’t have more than a hammer and a Philips head screw driver.

Wow, ok so I guess that's the only picture I have of the car bone stock. Moving on… The picture below is when I decided I wasn't going to pay for the dealership to rape me anymore. The notorious thermostat housing of course. Came at a bad time of year

The next wonderful project I had to do was a heater core. Done, it worked, happy as a clam. No fuss.

Then, after about 100k on the clock, it was clear my suspension was ready to go. The strut bushings were creaking real bad, the rear was squeaking, so I decided I was going to get coils. I Justified the cost by saying I'd do the work myself, but of course I wasn't going to drop my car without getting wheels first! So I picked up what was my dream set for years. I actually started this account just to message the person who owned them (R32R1). I'll never forget meeting that guy. I came out of dunken donuts and saw this R32 riding hoodless parked outside dunks. As I walked closer I saw the shine of a blowerpeaking out and my grin got about a dumb as the one in my first pic. He asked me if I was putting the aristo's on the Jetta I pulled up in, then proceeded to yell at me for having bird **** on my car. I never knew bird **** was bad for your paint before then! This is how uneducated I was! lol Anyway, the wheels sat next to my bed for months before I saved up the cash for my tires, koni's, a suspension refresh, and a rear sway. Then the fun began: the first modification to my car.

But I wanted to go lower! It seemed like every week I was spinning down those Koni's more and more until I was as low as I could go in the front. When I bought the Koni's I told myself it was the best choice because if I was tempted to go lower I would, and end up ruining my car on the streets of Boston. If I wanted to go any lower I'd buy bags. Finally, after taking the rear perches out and picking up some polo 6n bushings, I was a far as I could get and very happy with the results.

Bla bla bla bla then I picked up a Votex bumper that was already painted and some new wheels, roof rack bla bla Have the rear votex, skirts, and badgeless waiting to go on still to this day! Of course I want to, but things keep coming up and then of course, this happened!

Trust me, I know it's weird I have a video of this happening. Truth is my car was down just miles before this happened because I was waiting on a raxle. I finally blew a cv from binding all year. I was filming the video to show how I can actually take right hand turns again. And BTW, Marty is without a doubt the best person I've ever dealt with over the phone. I deal with a lot of vendors at work, and he seriously knows what customer service means. Props to you, Marty, and props to a great product. At least it was great for the first 10 miles lol. So yeah, second time on a tow truck this year. First time was in February when my PS pump blew and sent the pulley going 50 miles an hour down the road.

What happened?!?!?! Ugh I was soooo hoping it was something stupid, but of course in the back of my head I knew I was screwed. I did a compressing test and sure enough, this is the result of a broken timing chain:

Everything happened so fast. One second I was ready to buy a new head and replace the chains, check out the bottom and then in the process of taking out the transmission with my buddy to check on the lower timing chain area, we kind of didn't realize that what would be holding the engine in place (the head attached to the exhaust manifold!!!) wasn't exactly there anymore, and so then the engine wasn't exactly there anymore. That was September 3rd. No engine lift, in the street, at night.

And so I my began journey. As soon as I looked at that effing mess I said screw it, it's out, I'm doing a wire tuck and shaving the bay. There wasn't one point where I had a doubt in my mind. At the same time I had no idea what I was doing. I never even soldered before, much less welded! But I trekked on. I was quickly beginning what would end up consuming my life. I actually took off this semester just to do and pay for this project. I wasn't all too picture happy, but here are some phone pics of the progress.

Finally, it was time for my engine. I had already purchased a used motor and had scheduled a delivery date for the 21st in an attempt to have everything done for brokedown. But of course before the engine showed up, I would need to pick up the last of my fluids.

I was pumped when this dude showed up! Seriously ecstatic! For the first time since it was pulled on the 3rd of september, my bay would finally be filled with something! All the hard work was finally beginning to come together, and the light at the end of the tunnel was near.

We hadn't even finished assembling the engine hoist my buddy let me borrow by the time the truck arrived so needless to say, we weren't ready to just plop it in. But I needed it to at least be mounted by the end of the night. My neighbors already hate me; having a engine sit out on a pallet all night would be begging for them to call the cops. Luckily, once the engine was unloaded and a few things were transferred over from my old one and the transmission was mounted, getting the engine in was actually the easiest part of this whole process.

The next morning I got up good and early to begin. I started by taking more bits and pieces from the old motor and throwing them on. I soon realized there were some more wires that needed to be extended and began that process, mounted the exhaust manifold onto the head and custom made some coolant lines. As the beers were downed and the hours passed, it soon became apparent that getting to brokedown would become quite a task. I finally gave in.

And so I missed brokedown. I screwed up my deadline. So close yet so far! No biggie. To have gotten to the point that I did and having never done half of the things I did, I was thrilled with how close I came. But this still left me anxious to complete it. With winter soon approaching I needed this thing done!

I never thought it would turn out perfect; that was never my intention. My goal during all of this was to have my car running by brokedown, which I'm sure most of you know was postponed this year. Unfortunately that didn't happen, but in the process I learned a lot. This is without a doubt the craziest thing I've even done in two months.

Sorry for the ridiculously long post. Consider this my newb introduction =P

So I finally got the front end back on and threw together the rest of the coolant lines. Not very happy with the result and this will be temporary as I need my car back on the road before street sweeping! What are you 12v guys doing with the filler neck? I've seen one guy running it from one of the lines coming off the heater core, but I'd much rather it be up front. I'm keeping the lines to the t-body so I need to keep that tree which consequently keeps the aux rad lines. You 1.8t guys have so much more room! Lucky!

Last Wednesday I pulled an all-nighter and decided this somebitch was turning over. Around three AM it was show time and sure enough the used motor cranked right up. I took it for a spin with my buddy and all was well. It needed to cool down so I could top it off with more coolant, so I waited. I topped it back off around 4 o'clock in the morning and went for a spin. All was well until my lights started getting dim and sure enough, I was soon on the side of the road yet again. I hoped to god it was just a ground coming loose, but sure enough all was well and I suspected the alternator. I tried to take it apart to paint it during the build, and sure enough I must have broken it in the process. Yet again, I needed a tow… I got home around the time my mom was waking up, passed out for an hour, and went to work.

And so I searched for a used alternator in the area. Two guys said they had one and I could pick it up on Saturday morning, but neither of them came through. I called every damn salvage yard in the area and finally found one for 50 bones! For once, everything was working out! So I got to the yard and the guy pulls the alternator from the back. I was just about to pay when I noticed there was a broken bracket on the damn thing! It was one further from the pulley, so I figured it would be fine; I gave the guy 10 bucks for it

And sure enough, I was back in business. Finally, two months of late nights and 100's of dollars worth of beer paid off.

It needs a good clean before I take some more pics this weekend. Damn daylight savings time has me coming home from work in the dark now

Last edited by jarlsberg; 04-10-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Vehicles
      LS1 S14, XS650 Bobber
      11-08-2011 01:17 PM #2
      i support this
      Floss Filthy x Team Big Shark x Gengstout x VIP Modular

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 GTI vr6
      11-08-2011 01:19 PM #3
      Wow veery nice

Vehicles
      2004 VW GTI 1.8T
      11-08-2011 01:22 PM #4
      nice work man.

Vehicles
      Jetta, DRZ400SM
      11-08-2011 01:23 PM #5
      great work man
      | Scraped Crusaders | '04 Jetta | Raceland Coilovers | A Motor | Some Airfresheners | Windows | Seats |

Vehicles
      2001 Golf 2.OMG, 89 Triple White Cabby
      11-08-2011 01:23 PM #6

7. 11-08-2011 01:25 PM #7
      for doing work. progress has come along nicely
      for a thread filled with proper grammar. it makes the read so much more enjoyable.

Vehicles
      MK4 & MK6 GTI • 1986 Audi 4000CS Quattro
      11-08-2011 01:26 PM #8

Vehicles
      04 Retta-1.8T; 97 Jetta Trek II <Sold
      11-08-2011 01:27 PM #9
      very nice cheers for doing work yourself!
      Quote Originally Posted by groggory View Post
      I'm a fan of people telling it like it is. I am not a fan of cry babies, tattle tales, responsibility dodgers, finger pointers, or communist democrats.

Vehicles
      Bagged GLI
      11-08-2011 01:27 PM #10

Vehicles
      2001 Baltic Green Jetta GLX, 2003 W8 Passat Wagon 6speed, 1982 Mk1 Caddy ABA
      11-08-2011 01:33 PM #11
      I did not know you could use the BFI Engine mount on the tranny side as well. looks mega clean.

for a fellow 12v, and a sweet looking car.
      My OEM+ Builds & Timelines: Einkaufswagen's MK4 Build, Einkaufswagen's W8 Timeline, Einkaufswagen's Mk1 Caddy Rebuild
      Cars Owned: 1999.5 Jetta VR6 GLS, 2000 Jetta VR6 GLX, 2001 Jetta VR6 GLX, 2001 Jetta VR6 GLX, 2004 Jetta GLI 1.8T, 2000 GTI 1.8T, 2004 Jetta GLI 1.8T, 2003 Passat Wagon W8 6Speed 1982 Rabbit Caddy ABA

Vehicles
      e36 m3
      11-08-2011 01:33 PM #12
      shaved 12v's make me wet.
      just trollin'

Vehicles
      slow girls car
      11-08-2011 01:36 PM #13
      Very nice progress, it's coming aloning great.

14. Member
      11-08-2011 01:40 PM #14
      Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Einkaufswagen View Post
      I did not know you could use the BFI Engine mount on the tranny side as well. looks mega clean.

for a fellow 12v, and a sweet looking car.
      They released a full transmission mount sometime in the last few months.

Vehicles
      2001 Baltic Green Jetta GLX, 2003 W8 Passat Wagon 6speed, 1982 Mk1 Caddy ABA
      11-08-2011 01:41 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by jarlsberg View Post
      Thanks everyone!

They released a full transmission mount sometime in the last few months.

God dammit! Now im going to need to buy one to match...
      My OEM+ Builds & Timelines: Einkaufswagen's MK4 Build, Einkaufswagen's W8 Timeline, Einkaufswagen's Mk1 Caddy Rebuild
      Cars Owned: 1999.5 Jetta VR6 GLS, 2000 Jetta VR6 GLX, 2001 Jetta VR6 GLX, 2001 Jetta VR6 GLX, 2004 Jetta GLI 1.8T, 2000 GTI 1.8T, 2004 Jetta GLI 1.8T, 2003 Passat Wagon W8 6Speed 1982 Rabbit Caddy ABA

Vehicles
      low 18t
      11-08-2011 01:48 PM #16
      I do like. Good work
      Gravy

instagram @furr21

Vehicles
      03 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      11-08-2011 01:53 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by langer45 View Post
      for a thread filled with proper grammar. it makes the read so much more enjoyable.
      x2 and yes, my brain didn't start throbbing trying to understand this thread
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I said dance bitch. Dance.

18. Member
      11-08-2011 01:56 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by langer45 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by FACTORYBOOST View Post
      x2 and yes, my brain didn't start throbbing trying to understand this thread

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Audi S4 , 2004 Chevy Avalanche
      11-08-2011 01:57 PM #19
      this is awesome.. i love how you just got your car chillin in pieces
      http://www.lowbuds.com/
      I do custom trunk setups, false floor, powder coating, media blasting, polishing, custom carbon fiber parts, custom fiberglass subwoofer enclosures, wheels repair/assembly.

PM me with what you have in mind and we can make it happen!

20. Member
      11-08-2011 02:16 PM #20
      Wow, I forgot to mention the most epic part of this build. At 12 on one Saturday night, 4 punk kids came walking up my street. I was filling and sanding, so naturally I had a mask nestled on top of my dome looking all silly like, and naturally, beer on the ready. So these kids came up to me and started asking me for beer. I was like, "**** no!, how old are you's anyway???". So we started talking about whatever when one of these dumb kids picked up one of my beers. I was like, "wtf are you doing?!". The response from the dumb little ****: "what are you gonna do about it?". So I took him around his neck and started choking the **** out of him. His friend look perplexed and decided to take out a knife so I booked it. I'm running down the street, screaming back at them how much they're bitches and they can't run fast. Somehow the tables turned and I started chasing them. I was far enough out of the way that they had time to pick up one of my beers and throw it against my car. 2 little dent's. eh. No big deal, right. But those Little ****ers took my beer! So I started off down the street saying how I was going to kill them, when there I found my beer on the side of the road

In the end, I learned a valuable lesson: keep beer in fridge

Vehicles
      03 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      11-08-2011 02:19 PM #21
      Wow, I forgot to mention the most epic part of this build. At 12 on one Saturday night, 4 punk kids came walking up my street. I was filling and sanding, so naturally I had a mask nestled on top of my dome looking all silly like, and naturally, beer on the ready. So these kids came up to me and started asking me for beer. I was like, "**** no!, how old are you's anyway???". So we started talking about whatever when one of these dumb kids picked up one of my beers. I was like, "wtf are you doing?!". The response from the dumb little ****: "what are you gonna do about it?". So I took him around his neck and started choking the **** out of him. His friend look perplexed and decided to take out a knife so I booked it. I'm running down the street, screaming back at them how much they're bitches and they can't run fast. Somehow the tables turned and I started chasing them. I was far enough out of the way that they had time to pick up one of my beers and throw it against my car. 2 little dent's. eh. No big deal, right. But those Little ****ers took my beer! So I started off down the street saying how I was going to kill them, when there I found my beer on the side of the road

In the end, I learned a valuable lesson: keep beer in fridge

Or carry a gun... Just saying the look on their faces would've been priceless had you produced a firearm. Maybe could've scared those little punks straight

22. Member
      11-08-2011 02:24 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by FACTORYBOOST View Post
      Or carry a gun... Just saying the look on their faces would've been priceless had you produced a firearm. Maybe could've scared those little punks straight
      Truth. Actually my neighboor tried to convince me to carry a gun after that, but the real issue is kids like those. Though I'm just as to blame; I could have just let them walk away with my beer lol

Vehicles
      Bagged Blue Girl Car
      11-08-2011 02:32 PM #23

Vehicles
      2001 VR6 GTI
      11-08-2011 02:33 PM #24
      I hope my bay looks this clean someday.

Vehicles
      24vT GTI
      11-08-2011 02:56 PM #25
      Nice write up, looks like it came it pretty good

11-08-2011 03:27 PM #26
      Awesome work.

You need a garage lol
      2004 .:R32 | VR Alliance #123 | BFC Retrofits | Auto Elite |

Vehicles
      2.0 twin turbo 9 speed jetta
      11-08-2011 03:29 PM #27
      excellent work bud

Vehicles
      03 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      11-08-2011 03:37 PM #28
      Truth. Actually my neighboor tried to convince me to carry a gun after that, but the real issue is kids like those. Though I'm just as to blame; I could have just let them walk away with my beer lol
      Kids get like that because they don't think there are any consequences they can't get out of, if you pull a gun on some punk ass kid cuz he pulls a knife he might learn that he can't just **** around and pull a knife on anyone. I have a gun, I'm just waiting to get my permit. IDK about laws there, but if I feel my life is threatened I can pull my gun, although I would never shoot anyone unless they conitnued to come after me after they saw my gun. Even then, a blown out knee cap should do the trick.

29. Banned
      Vehicles
      2002 jawnster
      11-08-2011 04:41 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by eastcoaststeeze View Post
      i support this
      what he said

Vehicles
      yellow 20th, 96 harlequin, jsw tdi
      11-08-2011 04:45 PM #30
      i am really impressed
      CORNSTATUS | MKIII Magazine | #BurnAllTheMK3s | HARLEQUIN | IG: @eric_englot
      Quote Originally Posted by White Jetta View Post
      You've never taken a satisfying dump until you've squatted down somewhere outside during a full moon night on top of a fresh snowfall, with the cool crisp winter air carressing your balls.
      Best dump I ever had!

31. Member
      Vehicles
      Mk4
      11-08-2011 04:47 PM #31
      Nice work so far.
      WFSU | VWFiends | Shake's Estate

11-08-2011 05:21 PM #32
      sweet.. props to you for doing all this without a garage... my condo would have a litter of kittens if i tried this

33. Member
      11-08-2011 06:13 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by CEL is On View Post
      Awesome work.

You need a garage lol
      Quote Originally Posted by tonyb2580 View Post
      sweet.. props to you for doing all this without a garage... my condo would have a litter of kittens if i tried this
      For real! It's one thing to go out into the garage and get some work done. Hell, if it was a nice day, I felt like I was wasting it if I wasn't working on my car. And forget making brokedown, I was starting to get concerned about completing it before winter. None the less, this whole experience will make me cherish having a garage.

Haha, the day after I had the car up on jack stands for this project, I had a ticket on my car. Luckily, my neighbor is a cop and took care of it. A lot of my neighbors had no idea what I was doing and found this project downright annoying. Everyone thought I got into an accident, which, honestly, was insulting. I can't even tell you how many people asked: "are you going to get it running again?"; or, "you remember where all those wires go?". As if they didn't think it were possible. Hell, no lie, I didn't label a thing, but now I know how to read wiring diagrams and in all honesty, there are only about 4 connectors that you can mess up.

Most people don't understand work like this. People think of these things as just cars, while we see them as yet another "vehicle" for our creativity, another canvas to paint our individualism, not just have something everyone else has like an iphone

34. 11-08-2011 06:18 PM #34
      sucks to hear about those kids.. if some random ass kids showed up at my place and dented my car i'd probably be a wee bit more upset than you

Vehicles
      03 gti 1.8t
      11-08-2011 06:19 PM #35
      get it brah

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast