are you planning on using the stock sub-frames?
if you are, pls let us know what style mounts you use
im rebuilding a aeb, will soon mount it
Well, its finally time for me to start up a build thread for my 91 GLI 1.8t swap.
A buddy of mines cousin had this GLI sitting outside of his garage in NY for the past 3+ years, so we decided to make a road trip and scoop it up.
Got it home without any problems, minus a freak hail storm in the middle of April
Not in the best shape but thats how it sat for a few months while I was up in Baltimore for work. Once that job was over the work started and i was able to get it started with a new starter, battery, and fuel filter. Was very happy with the way it ran, because the orifinal plan was to turbo the 16v.
Until I came across a 1.8t that a buddy was selling, so i decided to go down and get that to swap in instead of the 16v turbo plan.
It is an AWW motor out of an 01 golf with about 100K miles on it. that came with:
-GT28RS (converted to an external wastegated setup)
-STG 2 SPEC clutch and LW flywheel
-EUROJET I/C core and piping
-Forge (007?) BOV/DV
-STG 3 revo tuned ECU that will be updated
-Genesis 440cc Injectors
I have a few more plans for the motor, but nothing crazy.
I only have time to work on this about 2 or 3 times a week, because of work and being a full time college student, but my goal is to have it done by the beginning of next show season. I have also never done this swap before so all help is very welcome and appreciated.
And cant leave my DD/former project out.
this was a couple weeks ago, and the bay is now in the process of being sanded and ground down to bare metal. Its coming along well, I will get some pics up tomorrow when there is light out, I also will start welding and filling in holes tomorrow.
It will be dropped on some sort of coilovers, Im still undecided about what kind to get (probably just the cheapest/best deal i can find)
I have already purchased some staggered Work Equip 03's for it.
And last but not least, the new color will be Wimbledon White.
Here is an updated picture of the bay, before the welding started.
That was taken at the start of the day.Then me and my buddy Bryan (Bonestockmk1) *also the guy has been there helping every step of the way so far* went up to visit our buddy Kris who does powdercoating in MD to drop off some 16v parts to be coated and talk to him about ordering powder that closely resembles my new paint for the 1.8t valvecover, cold side of the turbo and other little parts.
*If anyone in the DC/VA/MD area needs anything powdercoated, i would highly recommend hitting this guy up for it. He does some great work for a very fair price- http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=622763849
Here is just a sample of the 16v valve cover we picked up today (sorry for the cell pic, looks amazing in person)
Then we got back to my place and started welding some of the holes up in the bay.
Wiring I really can't help with since I used the whole MKIV harness. It was all plug and start after that. For me that was the easiest way, but I had the whole donor car. Sounds like that engine is going to put down some really good power .
*any info on this would be very helpful and appreciated
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Last edited by pDUBc; 11-11-2011 at 04:00 PM.
I haven't really had the time in the past week or so to get anything done to the mk2 because of work and school. But was able to spend some time on it today with Bryan (Bonestockmk1). I figured out a while ago that my SPA bottom mount manifold wasn't gonna work with this swap because of the mk2 rear mount in the way so I bought a log style mani from someone on here. I was finally able to mount that up today. as well as get the trans off and the motor on the stand.
Got to start on stripping down the motor.
Unfortunatly when I took of the valve cover we found out that my cam and one of the lifters were just completely done