Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Navigation firmware update for RNS-510

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Touareg V6
      11-18-2011 09:07 AM #36
      I used a CD (brand memorex). I have a Mac as well. Under Applications - Utilities -->Disk Utility.
      Insert the CD , choose the downloaded ISO File ..click on top "burn"...set the burn speed to x4.. done.

Get in the car, turn on the RNS 510 , insert the CD and then the magic happens as shown in the screenshots above.

Thanks

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CC Lux Plus, Island Gray/Black
      11-18-2011 09:22 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by CC FROM CC View Post
      did you have to use a cd or a dvd to burn it to ? also I have a mac ....and I'm not computer literate lol, can someone please tell me the steps to burn the files both vim and update ? thanks to any and all in advance
      It's very easy on a Mac. I also have one.

Once you download the image, run Disk Utility. Go to the file menu and Open Disk Image. Find the image where you downloaded it (by default, in your downloads folder), and open it. In the main pane, select the disk image you just loaded (you may see two related ones, and you want the one at the top of the directory tree). Assuming you've already inserted a blank CD or DVD, hit the burn button and then the burn button in the resulting window.

No idea about VIM. Honestly, it seems incredibly dangerous to me - even if the driver claims it is just for the benefit of his passengers. It's awfully hard to avoid looking at a video screen when one is in front of you, no matter how hard you try. Furthermore, it is illegal in most states. But to each his own.

More detailed instructions here. Good luck!

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=11007

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Touareg V6
      11-18-2011 07:13 PM #38
      Soo.. tried the VIM CD today.. no luck with that. RNS restarted and gave me some downgrade error ? also some error that newer version is installed. RNS booted up and showed "that it can't start up.. insert SWL CD.

Ran to grab the Firmware CD came back..and RNS is back alive. So VIM CD def. doesn't work for me. Anything special to do..?
      Burned it the same way as the latest firmware onto CD (memorex) slowest speed.

Thanks

Vehicles
      2012 A6
      11-18-2011 07:23 PM #39
      Car off RNS on, time set to 24 hours.
      2012 A6
      Need VAG-COM/VCDS PM me

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Touareg V6
      11-18-2011 07:28 PM #40
      Car was off, no key in ignition...worked for firmware update yesterday flawlessly. Do i really have to change the clock to 24h for VIM to work?

Vehicles
      2012 A6
      11-18-2011 09:42 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by robrobsen View Post
      Do i really have to change the clock to 24h for VIM to work?
      Does not hurt to try.
      2012 A6
      Need VAG-COM/VCDS PM me

Vehicles
      2009 GTI DSG X2 ...........
      11-19-2011 04:15 AM #42
      thanks guys for the help ,
      well i got the firmware i thought all downloaded and all it tells me is it upgraded the swl image and nothing else in the pictures you posted came up . the whole process only took about 2 minutes and I'm sure thats not right .....
      does anyone have any idea what I could be doing wrong ? and also i tried to do the vim as well but it told me I think the disk wasn't big enough .... is 700 mb not big enough ?

man I am so frustrated
      Stage3..... yes please!

Vehicles
      2009 VW CC VR6
      11-19-2011 08:34 AM #43
      I don't have access to see my units current SW version (no longer have a VAG COM tool), and I have a 12/2008 build model, so early edition of the RNS-510 w/ no backup camera. Is there any reason to think that this firmware wouldn't work? Has anyone upgraded one of these classics?
      2009 CC VR6 with navi (black on black)
      2007 Volvo XC70 (soccer dad car)

Vehicles
      2012 A6
      11-19-2011 09:03 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
      I don't have access to see my units current SW version (no longer have a VAG COM tool), and I have a 12/2008 build model, so early edition of the RNS-510 w/ no backup camera. Is there any reason to think that this firmware wouldn't work? Has anyone upgraded one of these classics?
      You should be good.
      2012 A6
      Need VAG-COM/VCDS PM me

Vehicles
      2012 A6
      11-19-2011 09:05 AM #45
      thanks guys for the help ,
      well i got the firmware i thought all downloaded and all it tells me is it upgraded the swl image and nothing else in the pictures you posted came up . the whole process only took about 2 minutes and I'm sure thats not right .....
      does anyone have any idea what I could be doing wrong ? and also i tried to do the vim as well but it told me I think the disk wasn't big enough .... is 700 mb not big enough ?

man I am so frustrated
      I think what took you 2 minutes is the VIM activation. Is it possible that you mixed up the CD’s?
      And 700 is enough.
      2012 A6
      Need VAG-COM/VCDS PM me

Vehicles
      11-19-2011 02:50 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Seki View Post
      I think what took you 2 minutes is the VIM activation. Is it possible that you mixed up the CD’s?
      And 700 is enough.
      haha that would be funny .... Im not sure if I mixed them up . I don't believe so cause when i tried to burn the vim it told me something about non sufficient memory on cd ? thanks again buddy
      Stage3..... yes please!

Vehicles
      11-19-2011 03:06 PM #47
      ok SEKI ..... I need the masters help , now my 510 won't play a dvd even while sitting still it tells me disk error . i can't switch the av output to dvd either or change anything in the dvd section like menu language it says not supportive or something along those lines ? my goodness this is getting a bit ridiculous ?

any thoughts are appreciated
      Stage3..... yes please!

Vehicles
      2012 A6
      11-19-2011 06:56 PM #48
      ok SEKI ..... I need the masters help , now my 510 won't play a dvd even while sitting still it tells me disk error . i can't switch the av output to dvd either or change anything in the dvd section like menu language it says not supportive or something along those lines ? my goodness this is getting a bit ridiculous ?

any thoughts are appreciated
      Give it a reboot and see what will happen.
      2012 A6
      Need VAG-COM/VCDS PM me

Vehicles
      11-19-2011 07:24 PM #49
      by reboot you mean turn it on and off ? if thats the case I've already done that
      Stage3..... yes please!

Vehicles
      2012 A6
      11-19-2011 07:46 PM #50
      No by reboot I mean “ <+>+eject”
      2012 A6
      Need VAG-COM/VCDS PM me

Vehicles
      09 CC VR6 4MOTION
      11-19-2011 09:33 PM #51
      to assist seki, this is how i successfully updated my rns and did vim as you saw in the pictures seki and i posted..... first i started and ran the car for five mins to make sure my cars battery had a full charge being the rns will be on for an extended period of time ( you can also put a battery charger or jump box on car) any drop of voltage under 10v will cause problems,i did not have to change my clock to 24hr setup but some of you may have to. i inserted disc (rns software update) no key in igniton and drivers door open (dome lights set to off to prevent battery drain) and as in pics in previous posts the set up ran from the disc(rns software update first), once completed i removed the disc and started the car once again for a min or two to recharge battery.now for vim.... once again key not in ignition and drivers door open with dome set to off, turned on rns and pressed and held the (eject),screen dim(button right next to eject) and the (guide) button until unit shut off and restarted, once unit was back on i inserted the vim disc and as stated above process took all of about 2-3 mins. if you are going to do the bootscreen change then follow the process for vim and you shouldnt have any problems...

Vehicles
      11-20-2011 03:12 AM #52
      great info and well detailed :thumb up:
      so far it looks like I got the vim to work but can I do the software update now or must I do the software update and then reinstall the vim?
      what does the software update actually do for my unit ? I do not have a back up camera , basically just curious if its even worth it to try and mess with the software update if it is not gonna really do anything ! thanks again to all for the help in this crazy procedure
      Stage3..... yes please!

Vehicles
      09 CC VR6 4MOTION
      11-20-2011 12:43 PM #53
      great info and well detailed :thumb up:
      so far it looks like I got the vim to work but can I do the software update now or must I do the software update and then reinstall the vim?
      what does the software update actually do for my unit ? I do not have a back up camera , basically just curious if its even worth it to try and mess with the software update if it is not gonna really do anything ! thanks again to all for the help in this crazy procedure
      even though you do not have a camera the update as ive noticed speeds up the units responce i.e when you push a button it doesnt take as long to respond, and the voice for the navi system is alot more clear and understandable, as for your first question you must do the update first the do vim after because the update will clear everything out and is not coded/made to have the vim coding

Vehicles
      2009 VW CC VR6
      11-20-2011 04:29 PM #54
      You should be good.
      Worked like a charm. Thanks to everyone for the screen shots and detailed information. Appears to working perfectly.
      2009 CC VR6 with navi (black on black)
      2007 Volvo XC70 (soccer dad car)

Vehicles
      C7 A6 2.0T, C5 A6 Avant 3.0
      11-20-2011 06:04 PM #55
      Thanks Seki I was able to apply the update. I didn't need to use the VIM iso; mine was coded with the tool, not software so it remained enabled. The other settings I had to re-enable were the secret menu for unit (via VCDS), and the POIs, speed camera/trap locations on the rns map: for some weird reason, the firmware update cleared these settings.
      2013 A7 3.0T Quattro
      2007 A6 Avant 3.2 Quattro (For Sale) |

Vehicles
      2012 A6
      11-21-2011 09:24 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by de_bklyn View Post
      Thanks Seki I was able to apply the update. I didn't need to use the VIM iso; mine was coded with the tool, not software so it remained enabled. The other settings I had to re-enable were the secret menu for unit (via VCDS), and the POIs, speed camera/trap locations on the rns map: for some weird reason, the firmware update cleared these settings.
      Glad to help.

How do you enable the speed camera/trap? Can you elaborate a bit on that topic?
      2012 A6
      Need VAG-COM/VCDS PM me

Vehicles
      09 CC VR6 4MOTION
      11-21-2011 10:02 AM #57
      Glad to help.

yes please elaborate......love to try this one

23. 11-21-2011 12:28 PM #58
      Hi All,

I've updated the firmware on my RNS-510 as instructured. I've noticed the changed featuers for the back-up camera (great).. Issue i have is the Nav doesnt seem to work. I cant enter an address, intersection, etc. The nav will take me home and thats it. Also, when i reboot my RNS-510 the loading screen says cant shut down syste, "please insert swl disk", this error is in red bars, both on top and bottom of my screen. But then my unit comes up. So my questions is what do i do?? lol. Should i try to flash the firware again?

Also, i cant seem to get the VIM iso to work. Noticed two files in the zip and put both of them on a cd, any ideas?

Thanks!

Vehicles
      2012 A6
      11-21-2011 12:49 PM #59
      Give it a shot with reinstalling the SW again.

VIM I see you did not do your home work. Yes there are two files one is to enable VIM and the second one is to revert it back to factory. Only one should be on the CD and that one is VIM_Berto89.iso
      2012 A6
      Need VAG-COM/VCDS PM me

Vehicles
      11-21-2011 08:41 PM #60
      Glad to help.

I used the option Extras > Places in Map and then selected from the list as shown below.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
      2013 A7 3.0T Quattro

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW CC R-Line
      11-21-2011 08:48 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by de_bklyn View Post
      I used the option Extras > Places in Map and then selected from the list as shown below.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
      I'm not sure what you mean here? Please explain

Vehicles
      11-21-2011 09:08 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by Beastmobile View Post
      I'm not sure what you mean here? Please explain
      I meant you have to (while on the Map display screen on your RNS unit), press the Extras button at the bottom of the screen. Then you can go ahead to add options (Places Of Interest, etc).
      By the way, if you have the stock Navteq 3M maps you may be able to select the additional POIs, speed cameras - not sure. I know the 4M map update has this - which a friend was kind enough to update for me. Hope this helps.
      2013 A7 3.0T Quattro

Vehicles
      2012 A6
      11-21-2011 10:20 PM #63
      I got the 4M maps installed a few days ago. Need to look in to it.
      Thanks
      2012 A6
      Need VAG-COM/VCDS PM me

29. 11-22-2011 01:53 AM #64
      Thanks Seki! The re-install worked as did VIM_berto89

Give it a shot with reinstalling the SW again.

VIM I see you did not do your home work. Yes there are two files one is to enable VIM and the second one is to revert it back to factory. Only one should be on the CD and that one is VIM_Berto89.iso

Vehicles
      2012 A6
      11-22-2011 09:28 AM #65
      ^^^^
      Thanks for keeping us updated.
      2012 A6
      Need VAG-COM/VCDS PM me

31. Junior Member Stuart Little's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition - 6 Speed Manual
      11-22-2011 03:40 PM #66
      I have a question about the SW1140, I have a 2010 TDI Cup, as I'm under warranty and had a speaker replaced today, I had the dealer check if there were any updates, they said there weren't any/I had the most up to date when they plugged it in.

Does this mean this update will not help me/I already have it? I couldn't get them to tell me the version # I had (typical dealer BS, probably didn't really look) though.

VIM worked for me, I just left the unit on (i.e. I didn't need a reset), key out, put in the disk and let it do its work.
      -08' S5 | 6MT | Meteor Gray Pearl Effect | Magma Red Interior | Nav + | Tech Package | Bang & Olufsen | CF Inlays
      -10' VW TDI Cup Edition | 6MT | Laser Blue | RNS-510 SatNav/DVD | Sunroof | ThunderBunny Bodykit | MDI
      -02' VW TDI Beetle | 5MT | Blue | 270k+ miles. -03' Suzuki SV1000N

Vehicles
      2012 A6
      11-22-2011 03:45 PM #67
      Do you have access to VCDS? If so you can look at what version you have.
      2012 A6
      Need VAG-COM/VCDS PM me

33. Junior Member Stuart Little's Avatar
      Vehicles
      11-22-2011 03:54 PM #68
      Yeah, I saw that, I don't have a vag-com but have friends with them/have done some changes myself before.

I also just read that the VIM script enables the secret menu so I'll go take a quick look.
      -08' S5 | 6MT | Meteor Gray Pearl Effect | Magma Red Interior | Nav + | Tech Package | Bang & Olufsen | CF Inlays
      -10' VW TDI Cup Edition | 6MT | Laser Blue | RNS-510 SatNav/DVD | Sunroof | ThunderBunny Bodykit | MDI

34. 11-22-2011 03:56 PM #69
      Just did the upgrade of both firmware and VIM. worked with no issues!! however, i dont see any difference from the upgrade. either way, thank you for these files!!

35. Junior Member Stuart Little's Avatar
      Vehicles
      11-22-2011 04:11 PM #70
      Looks like the HW version is H08 and SW version is 1040 - specifically C_NAR_9.442_t925 so I think that means I'm eligible for upgrade to 1140 right?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast