VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Navigation firmware update for RNS-510

227K views 389 replies 106 participants last post by  ced_jean 
#1 · (Edited)
Navigation firmware update for RNS-510 and VIM

Proceed at your own risk. I take no responsibility.

Firmware 1140 Update for RNS-510:

US-SW1140
File name: US_RNS-510_SW1140.iso
File description: US RNS-510 SW1140 applies to SW 0320,0360,0380,0980,1000,1040
File size: 404.21 MB

Changing the Volkswagen RNS 510 Color Scheme:
Follow these instructions on how to change the color of your RNS found here.

Use this file to enable Video in Motion:

VIM-Video in Motion
Insert the cd with the unit turned off and without the key in the ignition.
As soon as the unit starts to come on press the Eject button, Day/Night button, and Guide all at the same time to get the unit to reset.
It'll ask you to confirm the update and you'll press "ok"
Wait for it to run and you'll be done.

Just a FYI you can import destination from a SD card in to your RNS using the following website.
VW Labs

MDI UPDATE

1) Download update file from MDI for cars up to 21/2012

2) Please store update file into Root-folder (=main folder) The name of update file must not be changed or converted.

3) Connect USB-stick with update file by use of USB-adapter (000 051 446 B) with
multimedia interface MEDIA IN.

4) The update load will start automatically be switching on the radio/navigation
head unit. The display of head unit indicates the status of update load, as far as
the multimedia interface MEDIA IN as selected origin source as well as USB-connection
was active. Please do not remove USB-stick from multimedia interface MEDIA IN port during the whole update load.

5) After successful finish of upload file (appr. 1 minute), the status of upload will be
indicated in head unit’s display.

There is A TON of information in this thread. I have tried my best to make it easy to understand if you still have questions please
first.

Pictures provided by: greek bandit

started with this, slowest part was APPL and Radio took the longest

you should see this at bottom of screen

and go through a few of these screens

and this should be end result after about 45mis-1hr

improved fullscreen backup cam instead of half screen and car on screen actually looks like a cc

begining of vim install after update

end result after about 2 mins

boot screen changing upload

end of boot screen upload of about 1-1.5 mins

See less See more
#38 ·
Soo.. tried the VIM CD today.. no luck with that. RNS restarted and gave me some downgrade error ? also some error that newer version is installed. RNS booted up and showed "that it can't start up.. insert SWL CD.

Ran to grab the Firmware CD came back..and RNS is back alive. So VIM CD def. doesn't work for me. Anything special to do..?
Burned it the same way as the latest firmware onto CD (memorex) slowest speed.

Thanks

#42 ·
thanks guys for the help ,
well i got the firmware i thought all downloaded and all it tells me is it upgraded the swl image and nothing else in the pictures you posted came up . the whole process only took about 2 minutes and I'm sure thats not right ..... :confused:
does anyone have any idea what I could be doing wrong ? and also i tried to do the vim as well but it told me I think the disk wasn't big enough .... is 700 mb not big enough ?

man I am so frustrated :mad:

#43 ·
I don't have access to see my units current SW version (no longer have a VAG COM tool), and I have a 12/2008 build model, so early edition of the RNS-510 w/ no backup camera. Is there any reason to think that this firmware wouldn't work? Has anyone upgraded one of these classics?

#47 ·
ok SEKI ..... I need the masters help , now my 510 won't play a dvd even while sitting still it tells me disk error . i can't switch the av output to dvd either or change anything in the dvd section like menu language it says not supportive or something along those lines ? my goodness this is getting a bit ridiculous ?

any thoughts are appreciated :beer:

#51 ·
to assist seki, this is how i successfully updated my rns and did vim as you saw in the pictures seki and i posted..... first i started and ran the car for five mins to make sure my cars battery had a full charge being the rns will be on for an extended period of time ( you can also put a battery charger or jump box on car) any drop of voltage under 10v will cause problems,i did not have to change my clock to 24hr setup but some of you may have to. i inserted disc (rns software update) no key in igniton and drivers door open (dome lights set to off to prevent battery drain) and as in pics in previous posts the set up ran from the disc(rns software update first), once completed i removed the disc and started the car once again for a min or two to recharge battery.now for vim.... once again key not in ignition and drivers door open with dome set to off, turned on rns and pressed and held the (eject),screen dim(button right next to eject) and the (guide) button until unit shut off and restarted, once unit was back on i inserted the vim disc and as stated above process took all of about 2-3 mins. if you are going to do the bootscreen change then follow the process for vim and you shouldnt have any problems...

#52 ·
great info and well detailed :thumb up:
so far it looks like I got the vim to work but can I do the software update now or must I do the software update and then reinstall the vim?
what does the software update actually do for my unit ? I do not have a back up camera , basically just curious if its even worth it to try and mess with the software update if it is not gonna really do anything ! thanks again to all for the help in this crazy procedure :beer:

#53 ·
even though you do not have a camera the update as ive noticed speeds up the units responce i.e when you push a button it doesnt take as long to respond, and the voice for the navi system is alot more clear and understandable, as for your first question you must do the update first the do vim after because the update will clear everything out and is not coded/made to have the vim coding

#55 ·
Thanks Seki :thumbup: I was able to apply the update. I didn't need to use the VIM iso; mine was coded with the tool, not software so it remained enabled. The other settings I had to re-enable were the secret menu for unit (via VCDS), and the POIs, speed camera/trap locations on the rns map: for some weird reason, the firmware update cleared these settings.

#58 ·
Error after RNS-510 fireware update

Hi All,

I've updated the firmware on my RNS-510 as instructured. I've noticed the changed featuers for the back-up camera (great).. Issue i have is the Nav doesnt seem to work. I cant enter an address, intersection, etc. The nav will take me home and thats it. Also, when i reboot my RNS-510 the loading screen says cant shut down syste, "please insert swl disk", this error is in red bars, both on top and bottom of my screen. But then my unit comes up. So my questions is what do i do?? lol. Should i try to flash the firware again?

Also, i cant seem to get the VIM iso to work. Noticed two files in the zip and put both of them on a cd, any ideas?

Thanks!

#59 ·
Give it a shot with reinstalling the SW again.

VIM I see you did not do your home work. Yes there are two files one is to enable VIM and the second one is to revert it back to factory. Only one should be on the CD and that one is VIM_Berto89.iso

#60 ·
Thanks Seki :thumbup: I was able to apply the update. I didn't need to use the VIM iso; mine was coded with the tool, not software so it remained enabled. The other settings I had to re-enable were the secret menu for unit (via VCDS), and the POIs, speed camera/trap locations on the rns map: for some weird reason, the firmware update cleared these settings.
Glad to help.

How do you enable the speed camera/trap? Can you elaborate a bit on that topic?
I used the option Extras > Places in Map and then selected from the list as shown below.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

#66 ·
I have a question about the SW1140, I have a 2010 TDI Cup, as I'm under warranty and had a speaker replaced today, I had the dealer check if there were any updates, they said there weren't any/I had the most up to date when they plugged it in.

Does this mean this update will not help me/I already have it? I couldn't get them to tell me the version # I had (typical dealer BS, probably didn't really look) though.

VIM worked for me, I just left the unit on (i.e. I didn't need a reset), key out, put in the disk and let it do its work.

#68 ·
Yeah, I saw that, I don't have a vag-com but have friends with them/have done some changes myself before.

I also just read that the VIM script enables the secret menu so I'll go take a quick look.

#70 ·
Looks like the HW version is H08 and SW version is 1040 - specifically C_NAR_9.442_t925 so I think that means I'm eligible for upgrade to 1140 right?

#73 ·
FYI, the VIM also adds in the "Secret Menu" without the need for a vagcom which was quite helpful, almost as handy as the MKV (2010 at least) trick for turning of the DRL's with the indicator stalk.

#75 ·
SideNote:
Installed from 1040 to 1140, everything seems a bit faster indeed, no problems with Nav.

I didn't have to redo the VIM hack, however I realized that I am missing the secret menu so that probably go removed, I guess redoing the VIM will get me back that secret menu in 45 seconds so I don't have to VagCom it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.