Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the SEL Autumn Nut burl wood trim real wood or plastic like a Camry/Accord?

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 3.6 Passat
      04-30-2012 10:12 PM #26
      I used to work for Lincoln, and at the time they had released the "Blackwood" truck. It had the same Burl Wood interior, that I know was real, so if the VW is fake they've done an excellent job making it look real.
      2012 Passat 3.6
      2006 Subaru Impreza
      2003 GTi 1.8t

2. Member
      04-30-2012 10:53 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by cfurman View Post
      Had a friend that is a big BMW enthusiast that owns a 6-series hop in my car last week. Funny thing is that when he sat down the first thing he did was touch the wood. The first thing he said was "this is really nice"
      He was being polite...

3. Member
      05-01-2012 02:51 PM #28
      Hey, as long as it doesn't look like the crap they used to applique into US cars in the 70's & 80's, then I'm good. The woodgrain trim on our SEL lends just the right amount of warmth to the cabin.
      Partner: 2012 Passat SEL 2.5L, 2000 Audi A6 (non-Quattro), 1996 Audi A4 (non-Quattro)

Me: 1995 Passat GLX VR6, 1987 Jetta GL, 1985 Jetta GL

4. 05-01-2012 08:39 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by ArgyleVR6 View Post
      any pics? the wood is gonna be the only thing that bugs me too. how much did it set you back? did you order from the dealership?
      too lazy for pics but just look up a v6 se with black interior and there ya go.

the interior trim pieces (there are 9 parts total) cost around $500ish if i recall correctly, and yes i bought them from the dealership.

i was able to install 7 of the 9 pieces myself, but the last 2 pieces involved the wiring around the push button start and the gearshift, so i had the dealership do those. (for free!)

Vehicles
      2012 Passat tdi SEL blk/blk
      05-16-2012 11:01 AM #30
      Sorry to belabor this subject, but I thought potential buyers should know the truth about this trim. Upon my purchase, I assumed that the trim was fake wood, considering the price point of the Passat. I've owned several vehicles with real wood and this trim didn't seem to have the "depth" character that other woods have. A few days ago, I noticed that the light caught an area of the trim that gave it that appearance of "depth".

So now I wanted to know for sure and I contacted VWOA directly to get the truth. Here was their response. "Congrats on your new Passat! It is real wood. The ordering guide states so, we would not be able to say that if it were anything otherwise."

So if anyone is NOT going to purchase this car based on the fact that the wood trim is cheap plastic, and not REAL wood, you should reconsider your decision.

FYI, Joe

6. Member
      05-16-2012 11:11 AM #31
      my issue is not whether its real or fake wood...but rather is appears to be and looks like fake wood.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SEL 3.6 // 2010 Chevy Equinox 2LT
      05-16-2012 02:16 PM #32
      Looks real enough to me. And go figure! It is real after all...

Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL, 2010 Jetta TDI w/DSG
      05-16-2012 02:24 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by joereg View Post
      Sorry to belabor this subject, but I thought potential buyers should know the truth about this trim. Upon my purchase, I assumed that the trim was fake wood, considering the price point of the Passat. I've owned several vehicles with real wood and this trim didn't seem to have the "depth" character that other woods have. A few days ago, I noticed that the light caught an area of the trim that gave it that appearance of "depth".

So now I wanted to know for sure and I contacted VWOA directly to get the truth. Here was their response. "Congrats on your new Passat! It is real wood. The ordering guide states so, we would not be able to say that if it were anything otherwise."

So if anyone is NOT going to purchase this car based on the fact that the wood trim is cheap plastic, and not REAL wood, you should reconsider your decision.

FYI, Joe
      Always looked real to me, more like real wood than my previous Lexus.

Thanks for confirming.

Vehicles
      2012 Passat VR6 SEL Premium
      05-16-2012 04:15 PM #34
      Interesting thread. I thought I heard it was fake, so I wanted to swap it out.
      Now, I'll just sit back and enjoy NOT spending $500+.
      '12 Passat VR6 SEL

10. 05-16-2012 06:38 PM #35

FYI, Joe
      ok this astounds me, seriously. i call total BS.

i OWNED the trim, i HELD it in my hands as i replaced it. you can literally see the BROWN PAINT on the BLACK PLASTIC once you remove the pieces. not to mention the pieces were just as light as the "brushed aluminum" (also fake) pieces i replaced them with.

if it IS real wood... it must be a RAZOR thin piece backed with plastic, and painted and glazed to look nice. but i seriously, seriously doubt it, from hands-on, eyes-on personal experience.

by the way, the official name simply says "autumn nut burl"... it NEVER says the word "wood". look at vw.com.
      Last edited by teknokrat; 05-16-2012 at 06:41 PM.

11. 05-22-2012 02:46 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by mknieri View Post
      ... I do think the brushed aluminum trim looks great...
      +1
      2012 Passat
      2003 VW 1.8T GTi: 3" DP, 2.5" CB, N75J, OEM AirBox, Drop-in High Flow, EIP Dogbone, Forge TIP, Vented Fender liner, Forge 008, Metal H2O Impeller.
      Quote Originally Posted by Strikelin View Post
      ...You get about the same performance gains from a good dump before driving due to the weight loss then you do from a CAI...

Vehicles
      05-22-2012 03:22 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by teknokrat View Post

i OWNED the trim, i HELD it in my hands as i replaced it. you can literally see the BROWN PAINT on the BLACK PLASTIC once you remove the pieces. not to mention the pieces were just as light as the "brushed aluminum" (also fake) pieces i replaced them with.

if it IS real wood... it must be a RAZOR thin piece backed with plastic, and painted and glazed to look nice. but i seriously, seriously doubt it, from hands-on, eyes-on personal experience.

by the way, the official name simply says "autumn nut burl"... it NEVER says the word "wood". look at vw.com.
      There are a number of dealers advertising real wood trim on the Passat.

You should report these guys to the FTC.

http://vwpassatauburn.com/

and these guys

http://www.leftlanenews.com/new-car-...passat-sedan/#
      Last edited by darrelld; 05-22-2012 at 03:24 PM.

13. 05-22-2012 08:38 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by darrelld View Post
      There are a number of dealers advertising real wood trim on the Passat.

You should report these guys to the FTC.

http://vwpassatauburn.com/

and these guys

http://www.leftlanenews.com/new-car-...passat-sedan/#
      just idiots that don't know what they're talking about. it's the same text on both sites so that's just bizarre. anyway it's not an official press release or anything like that.

14. 05-22-2012 11:09 PM #39

if it IS real wood... it must be a RAZOR thin piece backed with plastic, and painted and glazed to look nice. but i seriously, seriously doubt it, from hands-on, eyes-on personal experience..
      FWIW, you're describing exactly how real wood is used in today's automobiles. The "thick" pieces of days gone by are long gone (concerns @ splintering) so the current "everyday" wood pieces (generally about as thick as a piece of paper) are finished off and fully encapsulated - as an aside, the last "non" fully encapsulated wood was BMW's E39 trim which was legendary for it's cracking...

So, who's willing to drill & see if there's sawdust?

Vehicles
      2012 Passat tdi SEL blk/blk
      05-22-2012 11:37 PM #40

Dude. That brown paint is stain. Lol. I've seen it on other luxury brands.

16. 05-23-2012 03:40 PM #41
      Dude. That brown paint is stain. Lol. I've seen it on other luxury brands.
      "lol." well i wasn't convinced and am still not convinced that it was real wood. either way, i sold it months ago and don't miss it one bit.

lol.

Vehicles
      05-23-2012 08:02 PM #42
      "lol." well i wasn't convinced and am still not convinced that it was real wood. either way, i sold it months ago and don't miss it one bit.

lol.
      So you sold right after taking delivery?

Car has only been on the market a few months, something about this story doesn't compute?

18. 05-23-2012 08:04 PM #43
      So you sold right after taking delivery?

Car has only been on the market a few months, something about this story doesn't compute?
      yup, ordered the aluminum trim when i bought the car, and sold the wood trim ON THIS FORUM.

Vehicles
      05-24-2012 04:50 PM #44
      yup, ordered the aluminum trim when i bought the car, and sold the wood trim ON THIS FORUM.
      I thought you were talking about selling the car not the trim.

20. 05-24-2012 05:15 PM #45
      I thought you were talking about selling the car not the trim.
      nope, i love the car! the trim was always a sticking point with me, thankfully i was able to work that out. (i wanted the sel features, just didn't want that "autumn nut burl" trim)

i'm surprised they didn't fix that for 2013. you're still stuck with that trim, no choice.

21. Member
      05-25-2012 08:37 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by AsianDude View Post
      my issue is not whether its real or fake wood...but rather is appears to be and looks like fake wood.
      My partner (whose car our Passat actually is) is very visually- and detail-oriented. He says it's either real wood or so close that it doesn't matter, because the pattern doesn't repeat. In any event, it gets its intended job done with panache.
      Partner: 2012 Passat SEL 2.5L, 2000 Audi A6 (non-Quattro), 1996 Audi A4 (non-Quattro)

Me: 1995 Passat GLX VR6, 1987 Jetta GL, 1985 Jetta GL

Vehicles
      '11 GTI,
      05-25-2012 10:23 AM #47
      It is wood veneer. They slice a piece of wood razor thin and mate it to the plastic backing. All higher end cars are done this way. Some veneer are thicker then others. You can get it as an dealer option on the SE and S. It's a $700 option. No way they would charge that much if it was just a sticker.
      VW's from my past.
      1986 Scirocco 16v, 1998 Jetta GLX Vr6, 2002 Passat 1.8t, 2005 Passat 1.8t, 2009 Passat 2.0t.

23. 05-25-2012 12:37 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by vwbrvr6 View Post
      It is wood veneer. They slice a piece of wood razor thin and mate it to the plastic backing. All higher end cars are done this way. Some veneer are thicker then others. You can get it as an dealer option on the SE and S. It's a $700 option. No way they would charge that much if it was just a sticker.
      either way, $700 is just ridiculous for what you're getting. meanwhile, there IS starvation in the world...

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      05-25-2012 04:30 PM #49
      I actually like my wood trim, and I find it does make the interior feel nicer. But I wouldn't have cared if it was fake because it looks good, and that's the image I want.

I don't think VW will remove it from the SEL trims though. All my non-car enthusiast friends love my car and the wood trim is one reason why.
      ||||||||||||||
      CURRENT: 2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      PREVIOUS: 2009 VW Tiguan SE; 2006 VW Passat 2.0T; 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva Coupe

Vehicles
      '11 GTI,
      05-25-2012 04:43 PM #50
      I like the wood trim too, but I wasn't going to pay $700 for the upgrade.
      VW's from my past.
      1986 Scirocco 16v, 1998 Jetta GLX Vr6, 2002 Passat 1.8t, 2005 Passat 1.8t, 2009 Passat 2.0t.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast