Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Jetta TDI : Clutch Does not Disengage fully

1. Semi-n00b
      11-11-2011 12:37 AM #1
      Hello VWvortex.
      I have a friend who lost the use of his clutch on his ~94 ? (3rd gen body style ) tdi
      He is thinking it is a clutch cable possibly.
      Started his car and could not get it in gear ( 5spd ). Shut it off, put it in first and drives home. If he pushed the pedal in and rev'd the motor - the clutch would slip.

What adjustments can we make to it >the cable >, or what tests can we perform to find out what needs to be fixed?

(Cliffs: Car has 200k on it )

I really haven't worked on any vw's but I want to help him out.. Thanks
      Last edited by kozanatos; 11-11-2011 at 03:08 AM.

2. 11-11-2011 09:22 AM #2
      Could be the cable needs adjusting, but that late of a model probably had the self adjusting and needs replaced.
      I had something similar but the diaphram springs broke on my clutch and it would still release, but since it was only on one side it didn't release fully. It bound the disc up and the same issue you are having was what I was having.

3. Semi-n00b
      11-11-2011 12:48 PM #3
      Hey Thanks for the info on the symptom.
      Got a problem now - my friend said it fixed itself.

Uh oah
      What should we do now, just replace the cable? If it fixed itself then maybe it isn't a drivetrain problem (clutch/pp) but just a cable.

OAH Yeah 260k on it
      98 Jetta TDI < Found out the correct info
      Last edited by kozanatos; 11-11-2011 at 12:51 PM.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '86 mk2 D/ '86 mk2 D '98 TDI
      11-11-2011 01:28 PM #4
      if its a 98 it must have hydraulic clutch. check master cyl, fill if needed, open bleeder on slave cyl., should be near the middle of trans. let sit for 5 min, check master cyl fluid level again. then bleed like brakes, no need to pump it up.
      Last edited by air-cooled or diesel; 11-11-2011 at 04:09 PM.
      Type I's
      the "little" D
      also 962 -0 to 60 in 4 years-
      why??more than 1 wire to shut her off?? a blasphemy!

5. Semi-n00b
      11-13-2011 03:16 AM #5
      OK Friend filled the reservoir. Well he made a huge mess, making this somewhat more difficult if we have a leak problem.

We should follow your instructions though!

One thing that I did notice is when we pump the clutch, the Res cap sounds like its leaking. The res cap doesnt need to be air tight does it?

Should the slave cylinder ever need to be replaced? its 2 bolts, is it worth popping those bolts off if bleeding it does not work?

Here is a few pics.
      Not really much to see I suppose

big mess of brake fluid which is corrosive to paint and not good. zzzz

6. Member
      Vehicles
      11-13-2011 10:35 AM #6
      shifter arm your refering to i believe is a counter-weight.
      use a funnel if your making a mess
      bleed it first then see, if its still sounds like reservoir is leaking you have more problems then i'd consider replacing slave cyl and checking for leaks on hydraulic lines to clutch(at pedal too). if you do check lines its like brake lines, DONT strip.
      Last edited by air-cooled or diesel; 11-13-2011 at 05:15 PM.
      Type I's
      the "little" D

7. Member
      Vehicles
      11-13-2011 10:37 AM #7
      keep brake fluid bottle upright and go under hoses/wires and then pour.
      or if you have a small bottle pour when you have lip of bottle touching reservoir. not above esp. too far above.
      Type I's
      the "little" D

8. Semi-n00b
      11-21-2011 10:18 PM #8
      Thank you for those tips!

Update:
      Well we replaced the slave cylinder and it did not fix the problem, moving on to the master cylinder.

Kinda wussed out on the master though

Soz, ill let u know if it works

9. Semi-n00b
      04-06-2012 01:31 AM #9
      Wow, so he finally got the car back from a mechanic. He put a little time into it.
      The mechanic knows that the clutch setup is not leaking now, it was pressure tested.

All he could come up with is that the clutch plate has a broken spring and is always partially engaged.

So I got to tear out the tranny. How difficult is this ? What am I getting myself into!

Remove tranny side mount and pivot the motor etc.?

is it worth getting an aftermarket manual ?

10. 04-06-2012 10:17 AM #10
      Wow, I got it in the first post.

Buy a bentley and keep a weekend free. Can be done in a day, but with little things that come up it can take a couple.

11. Semi-n00b
      04-07-2012 02:15 AM #11
      My bad, I wrote it off as those one in a million things that didn't happen :crazyidiot:
      Nor did I know how to diagnose it. The pressure test really confirms it though.
      Bentley $80 Haynes $20 ? The Bentley would go well with his other 2 tdi's of the same gen. Pricey for this application being that I currently would need a guesstimated 10 pages of it; axle removal and some torque specs. I should go look at it in store ;P hopefully there is one opened and then I will decide.

As for replacement, what did you go with theman53?
      I am thinking just an Exedy kit (pp, clutch disk), oem release bearing, flywheel resurfacing if it is in spec. tranny fluid change.

12. 04-07-2012 09:47 PM #12
      absolutely loved my LUK set. I have LUK clutches in 2 vehicles now 0 issues. One is 10+ years old.

If you have any kind of idea of ever working on this car for more than this job it is worth it. The haynes leaves WAY TOO much to be desired. If you only need a couple specs you could ask here. I don't have a 94 or I would PM you. The haynes MAY not even give you what you need for this job. If it is a 94 it will be an 020 and probably completely different than any clutch setup you have ever seen. TO bearing isn't even in the same end of the trans as the clutch...