Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: United Motorsport strut mounts?

Vehicles
      04 R 06 A3
      11-13-2011 10:02 PM #1
      Um posted on their FB page about some new strut mounts they are making. Does anyone have any insight on the details? Anyone tired of OEM mounts wearing out quickly? My OEM strut mounts are worn out and they are only 10 months old. Id rather give my $$ to UM than 034..
      .:R

Build your car for yourself, not what an internet forum tells you.

Vehicles
      04 R32, 00 A4 1.8T, 88 911 Targa
      11-13-2011 10:17 PM #2
      Ive had the 034s in my GLI and they work very well... got ride of the silly gap.

I havent heard anything about UMs

Vehicles
      BJS && AAA
      11-13-2011 10:29 PM #3
      have the 034's and they collapsed and are shot right now..

I would definitly like to get a set of the UM's strut mounts.

Vehicles
      11-13-2011 10:31 PM #4
      can we get some more information comparing the two?

Vehicles
      BJS && AAA
      11-13-2011 10:38 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Yak Meat View Post
      can we get some more information comparing the two?
      x2...

From the photo it looks like they are black anodized aluminum - if not I would guess delrin
      Last edited by vex004; 11-13-2011 at 10:41 PM.

Vehicles
      11-13-2011 10:48 PM #6
      Delrin would be cool.

I know the 034 is just a higher durometer rubber... idk how the delrin would work though... may put unnecessary stress on things... they need to deflect and deform some amount...

Vehicles
      08' S4, '07 trailblazer SS(SOLD), 2000 S4(SOLD), BMP R32 (SOLD)
      11-13-2011 11:42 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by vex004 View Post
      have the 034's and they collapsed and are shot right now..

I would definitly like to get a set of the UM's strut mounts.
      Look top notch.. Wouldn't expect anything less
      08' S4 stock for now

Vehicles
      Golf R
      11-14-2011 12:18 AM #8
      When I saw them first post that pic, I was like DETAILS PLS!

Enough time has passed, and they post 5 available (gotta buy from UK), but nothing about what it's made out of, or anything. So I guess it is pass until I see some good feedback...

9. 11-14-2011 12:47 AM #9
      Delrin would be cool.

I know the 034 is just a higher durometer rubber... idk how the delrin would work though... may put unnecessary stress on things... they need to deflect and deform some amount...
      Delrin would not work. The upper mount needs to articulate as the suspension cycles up and down. If replacement is such an issue why not replace the upper mount with a bearing setup? With careful selection a bearing/mount interface that properly supports the weight of the car, it can last as much as 80,000 miles.

10. 11-14-2011 03:35 AM #10
      These are not ally......they are made from another material....

Do not listen to people who are trying to sell a tougher mount from VW....there isnt one....I have tried the supposed " Seat Leon Cupra R" mount....yes the part number is different and the rubber feels slightly harder but the cage inside still does the same thing....The main issue is VW using the same mount across the range from a 1.6 MK4 which is around 1250/1300 kg car right through to the 1500+ R32 etc....its just not man enough.

Standard mounts with coilovers or other lowered suspension will only last a few thousand miles or a month or two before the rubber and the metal cage inside are deformed throwing the whole geometary of the suspension out. I used to have to change my mounts every month or two on mine.....pain in the ass.

These are solid mounts to stop the mount collapsing. I have been running these for a few months now with great success.

There is slightly more road noise on rough surfaces but this is offset by the fact the suspension stays where it is supposed to be giving better road handling and less tyre wear/fuel useage.

The suspension strut/coilover is now doing the work it should be as the mount does not move.
      Last edited by Slapbladder; 11-14-2011 at 03:39 AM.
      MK4 R36 x Precision 6776 Turbo = Large Grin

11. 11-14-2011 03:40 AM #11
      Delrin would be cool.

put stress on what? the suspension strut should be doing all the work....the only reason the upper mount is rubber is to take out some road noise.

Vehicles
      2004 DBP R32; 1971 Superbug
      11-14-2011 04:50 AM #12
      Slapbladder, do you think over the long term having this more solid mount would cause stuff like the suspension tower cracking etc?

You know how they get cracks around the join sometimes in the sealant coating.

Have you notioced anything like this one your car?

Like you say, the stock "one size fits all" mounts are woefully inadequate for the extra weight of the VR6
      PM if you are looking for: Euro Headlight switches; RHD folding Stubbies.
      OEM+ freaks click here: Graeme's Webspace - Latest Updates: Rear Fog LED in Headlight Switch using Audi parts; Passenger Footlight Mounting Bracket; Handbrake Return Springs; CC LED mod; Interior Monitor Switch Mod; Bulb Check System

13. 11-14-2011 05:04 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by graeme86 View Post
      Slapbladder, do you think over the long term having this more solid mount would cause stuff like the suspension tower cracking etc?

You know how they get cracks around the join sometimes in the sealant coating.

Have you notioced anything like this one your car?

Like you say, the stock "one size fits all" mounts are woefully inadequate for the extra weight of the VR6
      I don't think so....i personally have not seen this....the mount is held in position so there is no additional "hammering" from the flexable rubber mount. The spring and shock are left to do their work...I would have said that the possible cracking could be down to people running very very low ride heights and massively stiff spring rates which will put alot of stress through the turrets.
      The VR6 engine is only 25-35kgs heavier than a 4cylinder unit....some of this is also the 02m box...its just everything they bolt on makes the car heavier along with the 4wd/prop/haldex/diff etc....
      Last edited by Slapbladder; 11-14-2011 at 05:14 AM.

Vehicles
      11-14-2011 09:53 AM #14
      that 35kgs is 75 lbs... not light...

Its literally a 25% weight increase. Its not something to scoff at and say it doesnt matter.

I have the 034 mounts right now but if i run into more problems i will look into these UM ones.

What is the best way to determine if the strut mount is the cause of the issues?

15. 11-14-2011 10:19 AM #15
      that 35kgs is 75 lbs... not light...

Its literally a 25% weight increase. Its not something to scoff at and say it doesnt matter.

I have the 034 mounts right now but if i run into more problems i will look into these UM ones.

What is the best way to determine if the strut mount is the cause of the issues?
      25% increase on the engine weight over a 4pot which is not that much you are talking 35 litres of fuel...... its the difference between the 1250kg 2wd car and 1500+kg 4wd car we are talking about....

look at the mount from the top is it centered? look from the front of the car and look if the mount is off centre and also look at the gap from the top plate to the turret if its more than 5-10mm they are buggered.

Vehicles
      Euro 2001 MKIV 2.8 V6 4motion (5 door) - HGP Turbo
      11-14-2011 10:21 AM #16
      I think these new UM mounts seem to be quite good value for what they are, and in comparison with oem or other uprated rubber versions.

However, if going for a solid mount, and your budget can stretch to it, Id highly recommend considering something adjustable such as the camber mounts by H2Sport, Ground Control, KW and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by graeme86 View Post
      ...do you think over the long term having this more solid mount would cause stuff like the suspension tower cracking etc?
      Graeme, Ive been running H2Sport Camber Mounts which are solid and a combination of custom spherical and oem bearings for over 50,000km with PSS9s all the way down. I have not yet seen any sign of tower wear or damage.
      HGP-T 450PS, Unibrace, 225/40/18 AD08s, OZ Ultraleggera, Light BBK F&R, Recaro Interior, .:R extras, MFD Navi, Phatbox, JCaps, Neuspeed, PSS9s, H2Sport Stage 3, DLI-Teknik, GC links, bHPP, etc...

Vehicles
      04 BMP .:R, 03 GTI 24v, 92 VW Jetta GL (sold), Street Triple R
      11-14-2011 11:04 PM #17
      How can one get his hands on this. I left a message on their fb page? Oem mounts are a joke when driven hard, and cupra mounts were a decent alternative but a bit disappointing.
      If you need Vag-Com Contact me..
      PORTUGAL
      Check out my flickr!!

Vehicles
      Golf R
      11-14-2011 11:31 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
      I think these new UM mounts seem to be quite good value for what they are, and in comparison with oem or other uprated rubber version.
      What are they? Im still trying to figure out what theyre made of.

Vehicles
      2004 RS .:R32
      11-15-2011 12:29 AM #19
      my sig says it all!
      i went through 3 sets of 034 mounts and they are COMPLETE CRAP!! some collapsed after a few thousand mile, some after a few months. i was on bilstein sport shocks and h&r sport springs.
      i went back to stock and NO issues! so at this point i'm skeptical about any company, especially 034, claiming to have found a solution/improved product.
      sorry, just my .02c
      WOOKIES IN THE WOODS 2013 GALLERY ©PDETPhotography
      PDETPhotography ©Paweł Dmytrów Esther Trueblood Photography
      PDETPhotography Facebook page
      2004 VW RS .:R32
      Chicago VW Organization (CVO) Member

Vehicles
      Golf R
      11-15-2011 12:49 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by vdub_jetta View Post
      so at this point i'm skeptical about any company, especially 034, claiming to have found a solution/improved product.
      sorry, just my .02c
      You have every right, and I too feel the same way. There is nothing wrong with being a cautious consumer, esp after what you and many others have been through with other mounts.

I REALLY don't like people stating something being quality, when they haven't owned one or ever been around on, no less ever seeing a non-biased review. My 2 cents.

Vehicles
      Euro 2001 MKIV 2.8 V6 4motion (5 door) - HGP Turbo
      11-15-2011 05:26 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by VRptstyly View Post
      How can one get his hands on this. I left a message on their fb page?
      http://unitedmotorsport.co.uk/produc...ad-top-mounts/
      HGP-T 450PS, Unibrace, 225/40/18 AD08s, OZ Ultraleggera, Light BBK F&R, Recaro Interior, .:R extras, MFD Navi, Phatbox, JCaps, Neuspeed, PSS9s, H2Sport Stage 3, DLI-Teknik, GC links, bHPP, etc...

Vehicles
      2012 A3
      11-15-2011 06:53 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by ThatVdub View Post
      You have every right, and I too feel the same way. There is nothing wrong with being a cautious consumer, esp after what you and many others have been through with other mounts.

I REALLY don't like people stating something being quality, when they haven't owned one or ever been around on, no less ever seeing a non-biased review. My 2 cents.
      This. I personally have spent a bunch of money counting other's experience as trustworthy.

Some things have worked out, my 034 experiment was a failure.

I have to say these look promising, but for me, time will tell.

Count me in as a cautious consumer, the hard way.
      signatures do not show up in tapatalk

Vehicles
      MKIV R32, 2010 Tiguan Wolfsburg Edition, 2009 Jetta Wolfsburg Edition
      11-15-2011 07:32 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by M00NEY View Post
      This. I personally have spent a bunch of money counting other's experience as trustworthy.

Some things have worked out, my 034 experiment was a failure.

I have to say these look promising, but for me, time will tell.

Count me in as a cautious consumer, the hard way.
      I'm with MOONEY with this one too about being a cautious consumer. Been through countless OEM strut mounts and 3 sets of 034's and tired of changing these things out every few thousand miles. Going to wait for folks to try these out and then decide what I'll be doing.

24. n00b
      Vehicles
      MKIV R32
      11-15-2011 07:37 AM #24
      Used the UM mounts since release with no issues at all.

11-15-2011 08:22 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Slapbladder View Post
      Do not listen to people who are trying to sell a tougher mount from VW....there isnt one....

I have been running 'VWMS' strut bearings for many years now with no apparent wear on them yet.

Are they not available anymore?
      -Josh
      06 Phaeton 4-seater 6.0 W12 | 04 VW R32 | 03 Gti 24v VR6 | 12 Kia Soul 1.6 stick
      01 ZRX1200

26. 11-15-2011 08:23 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by PowerDubs View Post
      I have been running 'VWMS' strut bearings for many years now with no apparent wear on them yet.

Are they not available anymore?
      we are not talking about the bearing, we are talking about the mount....
      Last edited by Slapbladder; 11-15-2011 at 08:31 AM.

Vehicles
      04 BMP .:R, 03 GTI 24v, 92 VW Jetta GL (sold), Street Triple R
      11-15-2011 08:33 AM #27
      I think he meant mounts, did VWMS make a bearing?
      If you need Vag-Com Contact me..
      PORTUGAL
      Check out my flickr!!

28. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      MkIV R32
      11-15-2011 08:57 AM #28
      After reading many different posts/threads regarding failing strut mounts, I think I'm more than ready to give the UM mounts a try. I'm ordering my parts for a front end suspension refresh, and I'd love to get my hands on a set of these asap. Is there also a strut bearing that can be ordered with these, or is my best bet to just go with the VW OEM bearing?

Also, are the aftermarket rubber mounts(034 motorsport, Seat Cupra R) that are available that bad? I can't see installing something I may need to change in a couple months. It seems as though some folks on here are running these heavier duty rubber mounts without issue at all, while some others have blown thru multiple sets of these mounts in no time... I live in RI, USA where the roads are less than desirable(that's an understatement), and I'd like to install a mount that will have some longevity to them...

29. 11-15-2011 09:06 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Skrimpkilla View Post
      After reading many different posts/threads regarding failing strut mounts, I think I'm more than ready to give the UM mounts a try. I'm ordering my parts for a front end suspension refresh, and I'd love to get my hands on a set of these asap. Is there also a strut bearing that can be ordered with these, or is my best bet to just go with the VW OEM bearing?

Also, are the aftermarket rubber mounts(034 motorsport, Seat Cupra R) that are available that bad? I can't see installing something I may need to change in a couple months. It seems as though some folks on here are running these heavier duty rubber mounts without issue at all, while some others have blown thru multiple sets of these mounts in no time... I live in RI, USA where the roads are less than desirable(that's an understatement), and I'd like to install a mount that will have some longevity to them...
      Seat Cupra R mounts are the same as standard with a slight difference in rubber stiffness....its not the rubber its the metal cage inside that collapses and deforms. I have run a set of the Cupra R mounts and they fail just the same. They might be ok in some places in the world with snooker table roads but in the UK and other places the VW/Seat mounts will not last.

30. n00b
      Vehicles
      MKIV R32
      11-15-2011 09:28 AM #30
      From what I've seen the Seat Cupra R mounts wear at roughly the same rate. I just got sick of constantly replacing the OEM mounts and having the two strut tops looking the the leaning tower of pisa with a huge inconsistant gap between the turret leading to odd handling/steering feel at the front at times.

The final OEM set I removed, about 2 months worth of use, one is clearly shot and the car is on level ground. Replaced these parts 3 times prior to this.

Without United Motorsport 'Fast road' Top Mount by j1m8le, on Flickr

Without United Motorsport 'Fast road' Top Mount by j1m8le, on Flickr

No idea where the pics are of the new ones installed. Will try and dig them out or take some new snaps.

31. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      MkIV R32
      11-15-2011 09:48 AM #31
      My strut tops look identical to this, and the slop in handling/steering along with the clunking noises on rough road is beyond frustrating... At least it seems as though I've found what is causing the issues at hand, now if I could only get some info on how I can get a set of these UM mounts!... Also wondering if I should use VW OEM strut bearings when I replace the mounts, or is there a better aftermarket bearing available?

Going to try to contact the US division of United Motorsport via the (203) 889 0008 phone number this morning to see if I can get any answers. Hopefully I'll have a set of these coming by week's end!

32. 11-15-2011 09:50 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Skrimpkilla View Post
      My strut tops look identical to this, and the slop in handling/steering along with the clunking noises on rough road is beyond frustrating... At least it seems as though I've found what is causing the issues at hand, now if I could only get some info on how I can get a set of these UM mounts!... Also wondering if I should use VW OEM strut bearings when I replace the mounts, or is there a better aftermarket bearing available?

Going to try to contact the US division of United Motorsport via the (203) 889 0008 phone number this morning to see if I can get any answers. Hopefully I'll have a set of these coming by week's end!
      The OEM bearings are fine.....they last ok....its the topmounts that fail.....

Vehicles
      11-15-2011 10:20 AM #33
      so the question still stands, what the heck are the UM mounts made of??

Vehicles
      MK4 .:R32
      11-15-2011 10:20 AM #34
      will these mounts be any different in size? I know some mkiv people are using a audi strut mount just because of the size difference, I'm not sure if there is any affects on the handling using a thinner one.

35. 11-15-2011 10:25 AM #35
      so the question still stands, what the heck are the UM mounts made of??
      Why are you so desperate to know? They are harder than standard and will not collapse.....you don't ask CocaCola for the recipe do you
      Last edited by Slapbladder; 11-15-2011 at 10:29 AM.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast