Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 23 of 23

    Thread: o2 spacer, spark plug non-fouler

    1. 11-14-2011 10:01 AM #1
      My USP test pipe has a built in o2 spacer but it isn't creating enough of a difference to avoid a cel apparently.

      The 42dd cnc pieces are very nice but $40 is a lot of an o2 spacer. Their design offers clearance for the o2 sensor that otherwise sticks straight out, however my USP test pipe already provides this fuction. Therefor, I need a straight spacer hopefully for about $5 from the autoparts store. They sell these at autozone. Does anyone know where I can get one that will work for our cars for cheap?

    2. Member RedRumGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2003
      Location
      Hellertown
      Posts
      2,038
      Vehicles
      11 GTI 73 volksrod 73 standard
      11-14-2011 10:32 AM #2
      The usp spacer should be enough. Normally 2 spark plug anti foulers is enough on a stock pipe, so maybe just one? It should be the same thread as the oil drain plug, and your going to have to drill it out.

    3. Member 06_JETTA_MASTER's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2010
      Posts
      397
      Vehicles
      2006/VW/Jetta 2.5L
      11-14-2011 11:07 AM #3
      Why not just wire in an o2 simulator? Do they not work on these cars because I've used them on other vehicles no problem? I'm currently using this one from symtech labs

      http://www.symtechlabs.com/catalog/i...ator-p-34.html

      Whats good about these is you can actually configure the output signal in case the default one is not "good enough" to keep the CEL off.
      http://i.imgur.com/Ot1s1.jpg

      PM me for Chicagoland: suspension installs, vagcom services, and other work for the low!

    4. Member RedRumGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2003
      Location
      Hellertown
      Posts
      2,038
      Vehicles
      11 GTI 73 volksrod 73 standard
      11-14-2011 11:26 AM #4
      Cost for effect for the simulator is a little bit much. $5 vs $60.

      Tchild you might want to wait for your tune, it might make a difference.

    5. 11-14-2011 01:30 PM #5
      Yes I know they working on car soon, tentatively, but was just curious about a quick fix. They will code it out for me so the stupid light doesn't come on. No idea why the built in spacer isn't working, considering its spaced really far as it is. Its just a light, the car is fine oh well if it runs a little rich until I get a tune I'll manage.

      I don't mind drilling out the center portion of the non-fouler. I don't want to mess w/the bung on my pipe though. Will let ya'll know if I find something that fits the threads at local auto parts.

      If they don't have time to code it out for a "stage 2" tune while my car is out there, I will try the o2 simulator since I don't plan on driving it back to PA until I get a lot more work done. I'm picking up some OBX headers, hopefully, so they can do a proper stage 2 tune but we will see if they have time as originally I was just asking for an 09+ stage 1 tune (stock car w/cat running the HEP SRI and a 3" cold air intake). I'm just driving the car out and dropping it off in good running order however they ask for it to be when it gets there. I'm not included in the plans so no idea what they want to accomplish while my car is there.

      It would be nice if a tuner would build us a little box that just codes it out by plugging into obd2 port. U know, just a thought.
      Last edited by tchilds; 11-14-2011 at 01:46 PM.

    6. Member 06_JETTA_MASTER's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2010
      Posts
      397
      Vehicles
      2006/VW/Jetta 2.5L
      11-14-2011 05:24 PM #6
      Could've sworn it was you who said obx headers were junk and wouldn't throw away 250 on them or any money on any headers for a measly 10 hp
      http://i.imgur.com/Ot1s1.jpg

      PM me for Chicagoland: suspension installs, vagcom services, and other work for the low!

    7. Banner Advertiser Jefnes3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 17th, 2001
      Location
      Connecticut
      Posts
      5,329
      11-14-2011 05:51 PM #7
      I suggest:
      Don't waste your time with an o2 sensor 'spacer', they may have worked ~15 years ago...

      -Jeffrey Atwood
      UnitedMotorsport.net
      Email UnitedMotorsport
      Funny how launch control and NLS were gimmicks when Matt bought it to med9.
      Now others are using it to make people think the sun shines out of their 4$$.

    8. 11-14-2011 10:03 PM #8
      they are junk and won't hold up long enough to justify the low price. they will make power though since they're a rip off of a good header, like i said too.

      nothing wrong w/people buying headers that last 2 years and have fitment issues either. just not my thing but willing to make it happen so the hardware is available to get some 09+ tunage done. i'm in the dark so w/e happens, happens. be prepared, eagle scout remember?



      as far as the stupid sensor/cel is concerned. i'm over it was just curious if someone knew about a lil extra brass that could make this work. no big deal
      Last edited by tchilds; 11-14-2011 at 10:10 PM.

    9. Member 06_JETTA_MASTER's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2010
      Posts
      397
      Vehicles
      2006/VW/Jetta 2.5L
      11-14-2011 11:16 PM #9
      You're contradicting yourself but ok Are you getting the flange on the header replaced or are you getting a custom downpipe mated?
      http://i.imgur.com/Ot1s1.jpg

      PM me for Chicagoland: suspension installs, vagcom services, and other work for the low!

    10. 11-15-2011 06:21 AM #10
      If you want to support OBX go for it, like I also said, your money your choice. Fact remains they ripped off a good header and are the walmart of the motor sport world. And just so you know, I was refunded $1,100 from eurojet for their full header back setup and called them every week asking about a new run until it was clear they didn't want to build another run. This isn't a contradiction, its an exceeding lack of support and desperate attempt at regaining lost ground on our motor... same reason other tuner needs a chinese header on their car too...

      I'm trying to get pacesetters made for this car but there is so little interest its nerve wracking.
      Last edited by tchilds; 11-15-2011 at 06:32 AM.

    11. Member RedRumGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2003
      Location
      Hellertown
      Posts
      2,038
      Vehicles
      11 GTI 73 volksrod 73 standard
      11-15-2011 07:10 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Jefnes3 View Post
      I suggest:
      Don't waste your time with an o2 sensor 'spacer', they may have worked ~15 years ago...

      -Jeffrey Atwood
      Not trying to start an argument, just curious, I had to use a o2 spacer with your old c2 tune and with your um tune. Both on the same car. An 06 rabbit. They seem to still work for me. Why do you say they don't work anymore? In my head anything that gets the post cat o2 sensor out of the exhaust stream is going to work.

    12. 11-15-2011 07:17 AM #12
      the USP pipe has a really long tube. who knows why my car is so sensitive.

    13. Banner Advertiser nothing-leaves-stock's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 16th, 2006
      Location
      5780 Main street center valley PA 18034
      Posts
      23,359
      Vehicles
      a few.
      11-15-2011 08:06 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by RedRumGTI View Post
      Not trying to start an argument,
      yes, me either jeff. but i have used a "wayne block" and they work perfect. we normally have them in stock. only car it hasn't worked on it a 2.0L mk4 jetta...no idea why. but it worked on 2.5L. 1.8T's VR6 etc. we use them all the time. now the "spark plug extenders"...never worked for me
      www.nothingleavesstock.com
      NLS's full line of parts on our online store!http://nothingleavesstock.com/online...=0&sort=normal
      Email us at sales@nothingleavesstock.com 5780 Main St. Center Valley PA 18034 610 282 5487

    14. Member TheZooKeeper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 28th, 2009
      Location
      Mid Town Phx AZ
      Posts
      750
      Vehicles
      1987 StarQuest
      11-15-2011 03:14 PM #14
      Has anyone done any logs before and after an o2 spacer installation regarding LTFT's?

    15. Banner Advertiser nothing-leaves-stock's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 16th, 2006
      Location
      5780 Main street center valley PA 18034
      Posts
      23,359
      Vehicles
      a few.
      11-15-2011 03:22 PM #15
      ummmmm......it won't change anything tuning wise. you put the spacers on the REAR 02 sensor. NOT the front, the front is the one that control AF. the rear just say "cat is junk or not!"
      www.nothingleavesstock.com
      NLS's full line of parts on our online store!http://nothingleavesstock.com/online...=0&sort=normal
      Email us at sales@nothingleavesstock.com 5780 Main St. Center Valley PA 18034 610 282 5487

    16. Banner Advertiser Jefnes3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 17th, 2001
      Location
      Connecticut
      Posts
      5,329
      11-15-2011 07:42 PM #16
      The rear o2 sensor is used for more than checking the condition of the cat. It is also used to tighten lambda control: you'll get better gas mileage if its installed properly.

      no argument from me gents.

      -Jeff Atwood
      UnitedMotorsport.net
      Email UnitedMotorsport
      Funny how launch control and NLS were gimmicks when Matt bought it to med9.
      Now others are using it to make people think the sun shines out of their 4$$.

    17. Member TheZooKeeper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 28th, 2009
      Location
      Mid Town Phx AZ
      Posts
      750
      Vehicles
      1987 StarQuest
      11-15-2011 08:06 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Jefnes3 View Post
      The rear o2 sensor is used for more than checking the condition of the cat. It is also used to tighten lambda control: you'll get better gas mileage if its installed properly.

      no argument from me gents.

      -Jeff Atwood
      That's what I was ultimately eluding to. I was also under the impression that the rear o2 did more than just cat function. Thank you the info, Jeff! So spacing out the rear o2 sensor can negatively affect fuel economy?

    18. 11-15-2011 09:57 PM #18
      i just assumed the cel is making it run a lil rich since i only have basic understanding of o2 sensors and how to measure the cat. the only thing i even understand about the third is that the word lambda relates to it

      doesn't matter i'm putting new plugs in before i drop it off at UM anyway.

    19. Member 06_JETTA_MASTER's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2010
      Posts
      397
      Vehicles
      2006/VW/Jetta 2.5L
      11-17-2011 04:35 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by tchilds View Post
      ...o2 simulator since I don't plan on driving it back to PA until I get a lot more work done. I'm picking up some OBX headers, hopefully, so they can do a proper.....
      Quote Originally Posted by tchilds View Post
      If you want to support OBX go for it, like I also said, your money your choice. Fact remains they ripped off a good header and are the walmart of the motor sport world. And just so you know, I was refunded $1,100 from eurojet for their full header back setup and called them every week asking about a new run until it was clear they didn't want to build another run. This isn't a contradiction, its an exceeding lack of support and desperate attempt at regaining lost ground on our motor... same reason other tuner needs a chinese header on their car too...

      I'm trying to get pacesetters made for this car but there is so little interest its nerve wracking.

      Quote Originally Posted by tchilds View Post
      I'm not ruling OBX out. They're the only company making headers for us right now so it doesn't really matter lol. i'm not paying $250 for junk or $1500 for 10hp so somebody is going to have to make some headers some where in the middle that bolt up directly to get my money.
      Not starting ****, but that looks like contradiction to me on both the obx and eurojet headers.
      http://i.imgur.com/Ot1s1.jpg

      PM me for Chicagoland: suspension installs, vagcom services, and other work for the low!

    20. 11-17-2011 07:33 PM #20
      lol i just meant its by choice, or any choice in the matter at this point? limited opportunity to get car on the dyno and limited hardware are forcing a compromise on many people's parts so what's the issue again? do u not want to see a stage 2 for 09+ if the chance is there? i'm not that stubborn.

      i didn't say it wasn't a contradiction or try to hide what i'm doing. i'm not ashamed i was making the compromise clear, not attempting to promote OBX.

      sorry if it isn't evident to you that i am only using what is available to get a tune done for minimal time and expense to everyone involved, since the 2.5 isn't that popular right now and we have to take what we can get...

      when someone makes long tube headers for the motor, the same tune will work well for them, the same as the OBX. that is the only reason i'm taking some along in hopes that it happens.


      I also wanted to add, everything besides the headers on my car was made by good people that deserve credit and reward for their work and designs. Is that enough conviction for you? Is my 9 hour drive to get an 09+ tune enough? not sure what u want from me but you keep beating this dead horse bro and its lame.
      Last edited by tchilds; 11-17-2011 at 07:41 PM.

    21. Member 06_JETTA_MASTER's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2010
      Posts
      397
      Vehicles
      2006/VW/Jetta 2.5L
      11-17-2011 10:17 PM #21
      I don't know where this is coming from. I'm not "hating" on you or your car bro, funny you try to make it seem that way. You argued against me how obx was garbage and you would never support them yadda yadda and you turned around and bought them.

      My point was its an acceptable set of headers and now it looks like you agree even though you didn't before, I was actually happy to see you come around and try them out. I'm awaiting the results since I was planning to purchase the same headers but I'm too busy dumping money into my other car at the moment. Thats why I asked what you were doing about the downpipe because I'm interested, a question I am still awaiting the answer to

      As I told you in the other thread there is almost no support for mods for my other car, there was only one company that was making headers and it was always limited supply and obx headers were the second option and they were a good design. So I'm not new to this limited support that the 2.5 has, acutally to me its an "upgrade" if you will since theres actually multiple companys making stuff for us and tunes Now I don't need to street tune with a piggyback!

      Anyway bro more power to you, I'm in for results/questions/concerns!
      http://i.imgur.com/Ot1s1.jpg

      PM me for Chicagoland: suspension installs, vagcom services, and other work for the low!

    22. 11-17-2011 10:36 PM #22
      if you want to sell me some options go right ahead? doesn't make obx any less junk just because there are not options...

      in the other thread i said wait and get a better option and not to waste your money. in this thread i'm talking about no option really since I have limited dyno/tune time to get stuff done and just need what is available in a month's time...

      if you want to call that a contradiction and take everything i say out of context then go for it. you seem to be good at that...
      Last edited by tchilds; 11-17-2011 at 10:39 PM.

    23. Member 06_JETTA_MASTER's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2010
      Posts
      397
      Vehicles
      2006/VW/Jetta 2.5L
      11-17-2011 11:17 PM #23
      Did you even read my post Go ahead be ignorant no skin off my back, you just showed your true character. Sorry if you got butthurt because I called you out on that contradiction that you won't accept. I didn't attack you at all but you seem to take it that way. You won't even admit that you contradicted yourself and bought the exact headers you said you'd never buy. Its alright you probably have a "strong" reputation to keep up on the forums
      http://i.imgur.com/Ot1s1.jpg

      PM me for Chicagoland: suspension installs, vagcom services, and other work for the low!

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •