VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

We're going to play a wonderful game called...

28K views 280 replies 86 participants last post by  Zach! 
#1 ·
"Who is my daddy and what does he do?"

I dont feel like doing anything at work today, worse then normal because today I turn 27. So here is my neglected car.

Unmoved since H20 until last Friday

Finally drove it to toys for tots

And a peak at what the winter holds

Motor has been sitting at my buddies shop for like 3 months, but I have to order a lot of parts (like a 6262) before we drop out the 2.0.

See less See more
#32 ·
I wish I could install them right now but stupid 2.0 spindles and all.

Still lots ore parts to buy, once i get the head spacer and clutch at least the motor and trans will be done (for the most part).

#34 ·
I also forgot to post these a while back. I picked up the motor like 6 months ago during literally a hurricane, got over the DE bridge 30 minutes before they closed it, covered it in plastic and left it at Spitfire481's shop.

Shot of the random brodozer pipe keeping it from tipping.

Finally got a engine stand to put it on

Took it apart to clean it up

After covering it in Hershey's Chocolate Syrup (aka Por15 enamel).

Big thanks to Joe for putting up with me as I have never taken on a project like this before and have no idea what I am doing :D

#37 ·
subscribed looks promising

#38 ·
Its going to be a while before I finish it. The plan wasnt to start buying parts until Feb but with 50% off at autotech combined with the deals on the Quaife and TarOxs I had to snatch up these good deals.

February and March is going to be the big spending months.

#46 ·
love this car

#59 ·
So it was an icy Saturday so Tim (05JettaGLXVR6) Joe (Spitfire481) and I went up to the shop to work on my motor.
Tim did most of the work because in all honesty, he has a 800hp+ @~40psi VRT so figured hes a good resource to learn from.

Got the CAMs, HD lifters and springs, new /water pump, ARP Studs, head spacer and timing chains done today so for all intensive purposes the motor is built. Tim also has the trans and LSD and is working on making them one in his spare time.
Good thing we did the chains because the top guide had broken and there was a piece of plastic just bouncing around in there. It already had a metal water pump in it, unknown to anyone, but I had already bought one so I put it in and Tim was happy to take the used one.

Took a few pictars
out with the old...

Not bad for seeing the motor sight unseen and never seeing/hearing it running...

Making a spring compressor tool.

Spring compressor in action!

New cams in... if u notice the error, it was fixed.

I cant wait for it to be done but I am taking my time and learning how to do it right the first time and not just slap together something just to have it done. Hopefully it will be done and in for SoWo but if its not Ill just ride down with Joe. Next update will prob be mid/end of Feb when we pull the 2.0 and start doing a mild engine shave.

#61 · (Edited)
I dont see us going up until I have the rest of the parts next month and we start on the bay.

Alex u missed it though. Went to Advanced to get RTV in Carroll Island... I walked in "Hey I need some RTV" dude just stands there puzzled and starts to motion that he was going to his computer to look up what i was asking for.
Me: "you know like thread locker"
Him: "oh ok red or blue"
Me : "Red"
Him: "Ok follow me"

So we get to the aisle and he hands me super glue... like just regular super glue, I looked at him like he had 3 heads and just said thanks and found what i needed myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.