VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

We're going to play a wonderful game called...

28K views 280 replies 86 participants last post by  Zach! 
#1 ·
"Who is my daddy and what does he do?"

I dont feel like doing anything at work today, worse then normal because today I turn 27. So here is my neglected car.

Unmoved since H20 until last Friday

Finally drove it to toys for tots

And a peak at what the winter holds

Motor has been sitting at my buddies shop for like 3 months, but I have to order a lot of parts (like a 6262) before we drop out the 2.0.

See less See more
#172 ·
Starting to look like a car again.

Accomplished:
Turbo drain flange in
Intercooler piping done
Intercooler mounted
Trans fluid filled
Filter/Oil replaced
Serp Belt in
Battery box in :banghead:
Radiator hosing 90% done

Still to do
Fuel pump (in tank)
last of coolant hoses
fill coolant/intercooler
Bleed brakes
Assemble front end
Get a filter
Pray
Downpipe (scheduled for Friday)

One bonus that Joe made for the car a couple weeks ago

Going on vacation Saturday... Only leaves one weekend to get it running before SoWo

#178 ·
Sorry i meant to put started to think your post. Not starting.

It is only a day away. I could have started it Saturday, it would have ran like hot garbage, but I could of.

The down pipe is the last major thing then the rest is just crossing the I's and dotting the T's

#182 ·
Went to start it today and it just cranks all day. We pulled the plugs and they are not sparking at all, fuel doesnt seem to be getting out of the injectors either.

Checked all the wiring it all seems good, all the sensors are plugged in. We measured the resistance on the Crank Sensor and its about 800 between the pins (i think it was 2 and 3) so that means its working right? Coil pack has constant power (tested with light) but not sending a signal to fire from the ECU.

The ECU was ordered fully loaded with IMMO defeat. Anyone have any ideas what to check? We literally spent 10 hours on it today and have no ideas left besides thinking maybe the ECU is dead from the tuner...

:confused::banghead:

#189 ·
has to have an immo defeat on it. i talked with mike olson, when he went from the 1.8 to the vr he swapped the same harnesses we did and had no issues. since the fuel pump runs and i can access the ecu diagnostics im assuming its not a relay or power issue. there is just no signal on the coil pack harness to trigger it to fire. usually when thats the case the crank sensor is broken but it tests fine, throws no codes for it from trying to start, and we get ~200rpm tach signal while cranking so i know thats not the issue. i feel like it has to be a dead ignition driver in the ecu at this point

#192 ·
united motorsport had us send the ecu back to them, they said they "might know whats wrong". but today i pulled the core support and checked all front engine wiring. all is good. sanded every ground post and copper ground ring terminal. electro contact cleaner on ecu pins and harness connectors. made sure the motor was not 180 degrees out of time, etc. still same results. everything is 100%, no faults, all sensors test correctly, coil has power and proper gorund, ecu has power and proper ground, but no ignition pulse or injector pulse :mad: . hopefully it is an ecu software issue and gets sorted out by UM

#196 ·
Spoke with United, they have the ECU but it will be a day or two before they can look at it :( Hopefully they can see if there is a problem with the flash before COB Thursday and overnight it to me. If not the car wont make it to SoWo.

#197 ·
So I still dont have an ECU for the car but to show my faith in United Motorsports I put the rest of the car together.

This way when I get the ECU and it finally starts i can drop the rain tray in it and get it aligned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.