Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pepe - My cabriolet build

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1987 Cabriolet
      01-17-2012 02:49 AM #71
      Man, hadn't realized what kind of work you were willing to put into this car until I saw your last strip down picture. How far are you going with this? Also, once I saw that picture I'm surprised how large the charcoal canister is. Great work and I love the progress.

Vehicles
      1987 VW Cabriolet
      01-17-2012 08:04 AM #72
      My plan at the moment is to prime and paint the exterior and replace everything that needs replacing. I want to build a dependable semi-custom, yet stock cabby and of course learn as much as I can along the way. Frankly paint and body is as alien to me as an alien, thus the need for me to do it.

My plan for the motor is to buy a second one and begin building it up. Another option is; I do own a 98 Jetta 2.0L and from what I am learning that motor could be swapped in with some minor modifications. What ever the direction I hope by next winter I can put in a new motor and trans in this car and enjoy her for years.

Vehicles
      1987 VW Cabriolet
      01-20-2012 12:39 PM #73
      Started welding the holes in the body. I still need to get this welder tuned in but overall its working. I am also sanding on the chassis using my new air-compressor and DA sander. Its working great compared to hand sanding. What a difference!

A little sanding and looking at this photo I can see I need to get my good wheels off. Ergh!

Using a paper template I began cutting out sheet metal blanks using my snips. I purchased the sheet metal at Home Depot and if my memory serves me correctly I think it is 22 gauge. Ill use this to weld in to the side marker holes.

Tack welding the piece in and plug welded the holes. This still needs more welding but its cold in this garage, even with the heater on full blast.

Working on the car is difficult in all this snow. I am now an official snow blower in the evenings and mornings.
      Last edited by Spokane Pepe; 01-20-2012 at 12:42 PM.

Vehicles
      1987 VW Cabriolet
      01-22-2012 08:02 PM #74
      Still working on the body, sanding and hammering dents. I am using 80 grit to remove the last paint job.

Another look.

I do have one particular dent that is clearly out of my league. Not to sure what to do about it yet.

Another look. Its right on the corner of that curved fender.

Center cluster is almost done with the Audi gauges I pulled out of a wreckeing yard. This is going to be a nice set up.

Cleaned up and painted the timing cover. In between the fill ups on the air-compressor I have to finish the new timing belt installation.

Before...

After sanding...

First coat of engine paint...

Overall I need to figure out what type of primer to use and what grit of sandpaper I can finish with to primer. Also I think the temperature is going to delay the entire winter build unless it starts to heat up a bit. I cant imagine wet sanding in below freezing temperatures., ice sanding.

I have also completed this week:
      New front wheel bearings pressed in and ready to install. Thanks to the guys at STM tuning
      New tie rods but need to find the boot retaining clip.
      New control arm bushings.
      New sway bar bushings.
      Last edited by Spokane Pepe; 01-23-2012 at 11:33 AM.

5. 01-22-2012 08:28 PM #75
      Great work. Im planning the same basic thing for mine. I already have 2.0 in mine but I want to shave doors trunk and roll fenders too. I actually had the pic of that blue car as inspiration before I even got my cabby but mine is 92 so I'm keeping the bumper style for that year. Keep it goin I love the build

Vehicles
      1987 VW Cabriolet
      01-23-2012 08:42 AM #76
      vwcrackerjack,
      Thanks man for the kind words. You should toss a link up for me I would love to look over your project.

Questions:

So anyone know where I can get the metal clip that holds the inner part of the tie rod boot? It seems that I was too rough during the removal of the old one and broke it.

Is it easier to install a new top and headliner with the frame off the car? I am painting the car and took the top off entirely so just wondering?

**Edit - vwcrackerjack your ride is nice bro, You still gonna sell it?
      Last edited by Spokane Pepe; 01-23-2012 at 08:51 AM.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '97 Golf (sold), '82 Rabbit 'vert, '92 Jetta VRT, '01 BMW 325i wagon
      01-27-2012 08:10 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by Spokane Pepe View Post
      This might be one of the color choices for my ride. And wonder if these are stock fenders without flares. Check out that rocker trim. Any one got a link for that?
      Rocker trim is early OE trim. I picked up a nice set off the classifieds here on Vortex.

Keep doing work, though painting in this cold weather is not a good idea. The paint needs a minimum temp to both lay, and cure properly.

Vehicles
      1987 VW Cabriolet
      01-28-2012 10:55 PM #78
      YJSAABMAN - Thanks for the info and kind words I appreciate it.

Question again
      I am finishing up the suspension and wanted to know if I should use lock-tight on the bolts?

9. Member
      Vehicles
      83 rabbit convertible 05 4runner
      01-28-2012 11:45 PM #79
      I have audi 90 gauges in my cabby. Its a huge improvement . I kept the wood and it matches my wood shift knob. I hope to get a wood steering wheel to tie it all together. Nice job

10. Member
      Vehicles
      01-29-2012 10:55 AM #80
      I just toque to spec, no loctite. Proper fasteners, in good condition, torqued to the proper spec shouldn't need any loctite.

Vehicles
      99 Cabrio
      01-29-2012 03:26 PM #81
      Subscribed I also think that the blue you're thinking about would look great!Consider a white top with that..just an idea.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      1987 Cabriolet
      01-30-2012 04:06 AM #82
      Excellent work. The snow here was unheard of. It was like a Spokane winter.

Vehicles
      1987 VW Cabriolet
      01-30-2012 11:37 AM #83
      Anyone know what cars I can pull seats from and have them fit the cabriolet? I think some Audi's and a Scirocco but not sure. I need front seats or a drivers seat that matches my passenger seat.

Thanks.

Vehicles
      1987 VW Cabriolet
      02-03-2012 08:52 PM #84
      Still sanding away on the body especially when stress gets unbearable. Spent about 2 hours on it sanding and finishing up the drivers side suspension and steering parts. Everything is new.

Can this be fixed? Its broke inside the frame and I am not sure how to access it. More on this later.

The inside passenger fender-well, looking nice all painted and with new parts. Drivers side next.

Vehicles
      1987 VW Cabriolet
      02-05-2012 03:35 PM #85
      Question

Has anyone ever heard of shaving off the rain gutters? I am not sure but I think its purpose is just to allow rain a place to run down. Otherwise it can be removed right?

16. Member
      Vehicles
      02-06-2012 07:29 AM #86
      You will be opening up a world of leak potential around the vent windows without them, IMO. Even the little plastic covers on those are supposed to sit at a certain height to help drain the water away from the corners where the door, top, and windshield frame all meet.

Vehicles
      2001 A4 1.8TQ, 1990 Cabriolet
      02-06-2012 09:28 AM #87
      Looking good, what did you do with that rear fender area? I struggled with a similar area and might be able to give some tips

If you can describe or get some close up shots, I'll see what I can do.

Vehicles
      1987 VW Cabriolet
      02-06-2012 10:33 AM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by YJSAABMAN View Post
      You will be opening up a world of leak potential around the vent windows without them, IMO. Even the little plastic covers on those are supposed to sit at a certain height to help drain the water away from the corners where the door, top, and windshield frame all meet.
      Ahhh thanks - I suppose Ill leave them in tact.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker6468 View Post
      Looking good, what did you do with that rear fender area? I struggled with a similar area and might be able to give some tips

If you can describe or get some close up shots, I'll see what I can do.
      Thanks Ill snap some photos tonight cause I have done nothing with the dent/s yet and its holding me back.

Vehicles
      1987 VW Cabriolet
      02-06-2012 09:26 PM #89
      Alright here is a close up of the infamous dent. I attempted to pull it again this time using a c-clamp that I cut in half. It might have worked but the Chinese metal was not welding friendly. This dent would be simple if and only if I could somehow access it from the back side. But there are 2 layers so its impossible to pound it out.

Dent close up.

Dent stepping back.

Dent side view.

C-Clamp I cut off to use as a dent puller.

Weld one side to the body.

Weld the other side and then try to unscrew the c-clamp. This should have pulled the dent out but I kept breaking the weld.

Otherwise I did find a bumper from an 82 rabbit. I think I can salvage it just by shining it up. I had to modify my mounts by cutting off the tow tabs.

Old bumper - feels like aluminum

New bumper - steel!

Bumper mounts pre-modification

Cutting off tow brackets using a grinder.

Painted

Mounted to make sure it fits.
      Last edited by Spokane Pepe; 02-06-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Vehicles
      85 Cabby (Swagenwagen), 80 Cabby (project), 98 Cherokee
      02-07-2012 09:26 AM #90
      Wow, lot of body work done, good job! I need to get my ass in gear. I wanna shave my sidemarkers too.
      Quote Originally Posted by builtvw View Post
      girls + vw = hot....vw girl from canada...daaaaammmmn
      Volks R Us
      Scraped Crusaders

Vehicles
      02-07-2012 11:13 AM #91
      You need one of these - I picked one up and it has been a great tool to help get those dents out to nearly flat as possible so the filler is very thin:

Stud Welder

I also picked up this body kit and have used the hammers and dollies to smooth things out.

Body Kit

Vehicles
      02-07-2012 11:19 AM #92
      I started with this (I did take it to a shop for some frame work, so it wasn't this bad when I started):

Photobucket

and ended with this (not the final as I worked it a little more before primer):

Photobucket

Vehicles
      1987 VW Cabriolet
      02-09-2012 12:44 AM #93
      Still fighting that dent but I don't want to buy that stud gun. Any other ideas?

Where can I buy primer and paint. Where can I learn the difference? - i did google but no luck

This is what I am leaning towards for a pint color now. Ergh tough to decide a color.

Last edited by Spokane Pepe; 02-09-2012 at 08:36 AM.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      1987 Cabriolet
      02-09-2012 03:54 AM #94
      Hey, if you want to get rid of your driver's side rain gutter I'm your man...

If you want to do some body work I believe you can grab a ball peen hammer on the inside and some kind of flat plate on the outer portion. If you're really good you can put a few coats of primer, sand and you're there. If you aren't as close there is always bondo. I've never done body work outside of my wheels, but you can either try doing it or not. If you do and mess up, who cares. There is always fender flares.

From what I've heard it's a ton of work on the fenders. I'd expect 15+ hours.

Vehicles
      02-09-2012 09:46 AM #95
      Local rental shop might have a stud welder you can rent, I think I saw one at our local shop. Give them a call, rent it for a day, maybe $20-25 well worth it.

Otherwise that is a tough spot for a dent, I will take a look at mine tonight and see what other ideas I might have.

Vehicles
      1987 VW Cabriolet
      02-10-2012 09:50 AM #96
      Well that's a "no go" fellas I tried to rent a stud welder / dent puller and no one in this town rents one. I think I have a plan and ill try it out this weekend. Ill just weld some bolts on the low spots and pull the dent out using a come along.

Questions to the painters???

Where can I buy primer and paint? What do I search for "automotive paint brings up conflicting results. I want to buy local unless you have a good on-line source.

I think I need a primer that etches because I have the car sanded down to the metal in many places.

Vehicles
      02-10-2012 12:20 PM #97
      I bought my stuff from my local automotive parts store (West Bay / NAPA) Talked to a guy in the paint department that has been in the biz for 30+ years, he gave me Evercoat as a brand.

I bought a gallon and glad I did, I have about a quart left for the following:
      hood
      windshield area
      core support
      4 fender flares

Might need an additional quart after I start sanding as a 2nd coat, but waiting to see what happens.

As for metal, I had the same in some areas, but was told if is not bigger than 2"x2" or so, you should be fine. You can also get a can of self etch primer for those spots then go over everything with regular primer.

I did about 3 coats on everything when I sprayed, with the idea I would do good amount of sanding to get it all flat and smooth.

I could always send you by stud welder if you want to use it, just pay the shipping. Let me know.

Vehicles
      1987 VW Cabriolet
      02-11-2012 02:53 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by tinker6468 View Post
      I could always send you by stud welder if you want to use it, just pay the shipping. Let me know.
      I have thought about this for a while and first, want to say thanks for the offer.

Second, how much is shipping something like that going to cost? I am not sure how much it weighs. My only hesitation is if I end up paying what a new one cost just in shipping.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      02-11-2012 04:39 PM #99
      I have thought about this for a while and first, want to say thanks for the offer.

Second, how much is shipping something like that going to cost? I am not sure how much it weighs. My only hesitation is if I end up paying what a new one cost just in shipping.
      This is why I (at least most of) the VW community!

Vehicles
      1987 VW Cabriolet
      02-12-2012 04:32 PM #100
      Today I "sneaked" in a few hours. It seems I don't have time anymore for anything but work, yet I needed a break and so I went for it. I started by removing the dash so that I can fix the leaking heater core and in the process I noticed this.

This is my steering shaft bearing I think.

Here is another view

Another angle.

Now I could be wrong but that is not a factory design. If anyone has info on this please let me know how to fix it properly.

Wondering if this bumper is missing a mount for the end caps to bolt on to?

And this plug still has no home. I think someone told me it was for the reverse lights but my trans has a different switch. Is it for a newer transmission?

And switch on trans.

Almost got the rear body sanded down using 80 grit. Its Down to the factory primer in most places.

I also deleted most of the AC system. All that is left is to do the conversion.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      1987 Cabriolet
      02-15-2012 04:23 AM #101
      Today I "sneaked" in a few hours. It seems I don't have time anymore for anything but work, yet I needed a break and so I went for it. I started by removing the dash so that I can fix the leaking heater core and in the process I noticed this.

This is my steering shaft bearing I think.

Here is another view

Another angle.

Now I could be wrong but that is not a factory design. If anyone has info on this please let me know how to fix it properly.

Wondering if this bumper is missing a mount for the end caps to bolt on to?

And this plug still has no home. I think someone told me it was for the reverse lights but my trans has a different switch. Is it for a newer transmission?

And switch on trans.

Almost got the rear body sanded down using 80 grit. Its Down to the factory primer in most places.

I also deleted most of the AC system. All that is left is to do the conversion.
      The conversion kit is easy, it's almost free.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ight=ac+delete

While you have your dash removed can you show me where to connect the yellow and blue air lines that run under the passenger side?

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      02-15-2012 05:14 AM #102
      The steering shaft is the fix for keeping the Steering shaft bearing in place.
      Consider it permanent.
      Grounds, Grounds, Grounds Replace them things.
      Divorces, Great Coffee, and Electrics, all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my grounds ?
      I am a Commodian. I tell really Crappy jokes.

Vehicles
      1987 VW Cabriolet
      02-15-2012 09:33 AM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by DEGS View Post
      While you have your dash removed can you show me where to connect the yellow and blue air lines that run under the passenger side?
      Sure Ill snap a pic or two tonight. And that is precisely how I am removing the AC. Great thread I read it over a few time and am convinced that its a good solution.

Quote Originally Posted by briano1234 View Post
      The steering shaft is the fix for keeping the Steering shaft bearing in place.
      Consider it permanent.
      Lol, no way is this permanent, "at least I hope". Is there a more professional solution? I think that this is kind of hokey jokey and it wont set well with me.
      Last edited by Spokane Pepe; 02-15-2012 at 09:39 AM.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      02-15-2012 06:14 PM #104
      Yes, different style reverse switch harness. Say goodbye to that stupid upshift light with the 2-pin switch. Read everything you need to know about reverse switch wiring here: http://www.brokevw.com/reverseswitch.html

Vehicles
      1987 VW Cabriolet
      02-15-2012 09:30 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by YJSAABMAN View Post
      Yes, different style reverse switch harness. Say goodbye to that stupid upshift light with the 2-pin switch. Read everything you need to know about reverse switch wiring here: http://www.brokevw.com/reverseswitch.html
      That's the link right there! That's gonna solve my mystery, thank you.

DEGS,

Here is that close up you wanted. I hope this helps. I did take other angles if you need more details.
      Last edited by Spokane Pepe; 02-15-2012 at 09:33 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast