Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Cleaning Fuel Distributor

Vehicles
      1983 Rabbit GTI 2.0T
      10-17-2002 08:01 PM #1
      Has anyone done this? Can it be done? I finally found my GTI's real problem it wasn't even getting fuel to the injectors and the fuel distributor was absolutely clogged. Is there any best way to clean it? My plan is to just soak it with carb cleaner and take as much apart as I can without damaging anything. Thanks
      ABA Swap How To
      1983 Rabbit GTI 2.0 Turbo
      2011 GTI

Vehicles
      1983 Rabbit GTI 2.0T
      10-18-2002 12:58 AM #2
      Help anyone?
      ABA Swap How To
      2011 GTI

3. 10-18-2002 07:26 AM #3
      The only related thing I've ever heard of is removing the plunger and cleaning the plunger and bore with carb cleaner. Don't disassemble any further then that, I've heard it's impossible to get it working properly after it's been taken apart.

Vehicles
      1978 WackyWabbit (sold)
      10-18-2002 12:35 PM #4
      As ABA Scirocco said, do not attempt to disassemble the fuel distributor as it has many springs and rubber washers inside of it. Plus I understand that the VW factory uses a special wax to seal the top and bottom sections of the unit.

Most likely the Control Plunger is stuck if you are not getting any fuel at the injectors. This condition happens when the fuel distributor is not used for a very long time, such as a year or longer. The residual in gas will cause the Control Plunger to stick in its bore.

The Control Plunger is machined exactly to its bore, and Control Plungers can not be interchanged with different fuel distributors.

Remove all injector lines and fuel hoses from the fuel distributor. Make a diagram of all connections if you have not previously performed this removal. Next remove the three screws that hold the fuel distributor to the top section of the air flow plastic housing. Carefully lift the fuel distributor and place your hand under it in the event the Control Plunger moves freely. However most likely, it is stuck in in its bore.

I have had success with soaking the entire fuel distributor in solvent (ie lacquer thinner, etc) for several days. Prior to soaking, I spray WD-40 in all of the ports. After soaking, I use compressed air to remove the Control Plunger. Place a rag under the bottom of the fuel distributor and blow air into the top center port (control pressure connection), hopefully causing the Control Plunger to move downward from its bore. Do not use pliers in an attempt to pull the Control Plunger out as pliers can cause marks on the plunger and damage it.

You may have to repeat the soaking process several times, depending on the amount of gas residual in the fuel distributor.

Some of the fuel distributors have four (4) metric allen caps next to each of the injector line ports. If you remove the caps, you will find small filters under the caps. These filters can be cleaned and re-installed. Beneath the filters are metric allen screws that are "factory-adjusted" for the amount of fuel flow from each injector port. Do not attempt to turn these metric allen screws as you will change the amount of fuel flow. I know this from prior experience!!

Once the Control Plunger is removed, clean it with spray carb cleaner, and spray carb cleaner into all of the ports. Then use compressed air to blow the entire unit dry. The Bentley says to put a light coat of fresh gas on the Control Plunger and reassemble the unit. Good luck, WWR.

WWR
      ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
      signature edition
      Harry Puckett R.I.P. 01-24-2010. You are gone too soon. We had races
      to race, jokes to tell, laughter to share, and cold beers to drink.

Vehicles
      1983 Rabbit GTI 2.0T
      10-18-2002 03:34 PM #5
      Thanks for all the info I got the fuel plunger out with my fingers but it was definitely in there and varnished up pretty good. It seems I only get fuel on cylinders 2 and 3 so I'm going to check those filter screens under the allen screws. Are injectors cleaned in the same way just soak them in carb cleaner?
      ABA Swap How To
      2011 GTI

6. 10-18-2002 07:06 PM #6
      maybe you just want to get a new or used fuel distributor. Ive never had any luck otherwise.

Vehicles
      1978 WackyWabbit (sold)
      10-18-2002 09:22 PM #7
      To clean injectors, I spray some carb cleaner into each injector and sit the injectors vertically in a block of wood with holes drilled slightly larger than the diameter of the injector. I let them soak for a day and then blow compressed air through them. The block of wood is numbered so I can keep track of what injector is what, good way to diagnose an injector problem.

I had an old injector line (steel braided) and I adapted another fitting on the line so an air blow gun can be used to blow through the injectors. Spray some carb cleaner or WD-40 into the injector and attach the injector test line. Press the trigger on the blow gun and watch the spray pattern from the injector. Compare the pattern to those in the Bentley.

Be sure to wear some safety glasses while doing this procedure. Good luck, WWR.

WWR
      ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
      signature edition
      Harry Puckett R.I.P. 01-24-2010. You are gone too soon. We had races
      to race, jokes to tell, laughter to share, and cold beers to drink.

8. 10-19-2002 01:05 AM #8
      If you are varnished you may clean the filters under the banjo bolts.
      Here was my cleaning job:
      Before

After

Filter before

Filter after

I just used carb cleaner to clean up the dizzy and soaked the filters in Super Clean for a few hours. As you can see in the pic, it takes a small screw to get the filters out.