Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Passat B7 Rear View Camera Install

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SEL 3.6 // 2010 Chevy Equinox 2LT
      05-17-2012 01:29 PM #71
      Hey, so dig this. Oemplus has posted that they're offering complete OEM kits for install.

The kicker is, they're advertising way more RNS-510 features with their install (e.g. moving lines when turning the wheel, parallel parking mode versus driving backwards mode, dedicated button for invoking outside of Reverse (i think...)), etc.

They said that there is no additional or alternative hardware needed for this, so I'm hopeful that it's just another bit to be flipped in the computer. Do you guys have any thoughts?

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
      05-17-2012 02:00 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by writeb View Post
      Hey, so dig this. Oemplus has posted that they're offering complete OEM kits for install.

The kicker is, they're advertising way more RNS-510 features with their install (e.g. moving lines when turning the wheel, parallel parking mode versus driving backwards mode, dedicated button for invoking outside of Reverse (i think...)), etc.

They said that there is no additional or alternative hardware needed for this, so I'm hopeful that it's just another bit to be flipped in the computer. Do you guys have any thoughts?
      Yeah, my thought is I'm getting one if I hear that the install is easier than the one in this thread. I just don't have time for that.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      05-17-2012 02:23 PM #73
      To my knowledge the install with this packaged kit is just as hard if not harder. My question/kicker is whether or not there's some extra undocumented bits that need to be flipped in the VAG-COM to get these new features to appear in the RNS-510.

The only task the OEMplus route simplifies is not having to buy a third-party wiring harness to power the camera. Otherwise, you still need to pull the radio and trim, turn off the battery, route cabling as a PITA, likely repin CECM, and pull the fuse box.

There have been a few implementations outlined here that totally simplifies the process (e.g. tapping into reverse light power and battery in the trunk instead of dealing with fusebox/CECM drama).

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Candy White with Beige Leather 2012 Passat TDI SEL
      05-18-2012 05:45 PM #74
      you do not need to find a power source because the harness pulls power from the plug on the back of the Nav unit. But, yes, you still need to change computer settings with a VAG tool.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      05-18-2012 06:32 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
      you do not need to find a power source because the harness pulls power from the plug on the back of the Nav unit. But, yes, you still need to change computer settings with a VAG tool.
      Very interesting! So a key piece in this ensemble is the wiring harness? Gotta admit getting power from the back of the Nav unit makes this project much easier. Not sure $380 easier though, versus figuring out how to get power via updated harness (or getting the new harness itself).

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat V6 SEL Prem/Nav; 2012 Tiguan SEL Prem/Nav
      05-18-2012 08:31 PM #76
      From other documentation I have seen there is a can high an low out of the RNS. This prob just taps into that instead of CECM or rear lights. Bet the bulk of this cost is control unit.... Hmmm now were does that get mounted. May get their Tig kit... Already did my passat via the original posted DIY method.... Not going back just to add control module/ moving lines feature.

7. 06-04-2012 07:43 PM #77
      anyone here have installed this in TDI?

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta
      06-09-2012 02:53 PM #78
      If anyone is looking for the camera for this mod send me a PM for a very special price
      SteveMKVI JettaMy Car Activate Full MFD MK6 Jetta DIY

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      06-12-2012 09:07 PM #79
      Anyone looking for a complete harness PM me for a special price TOO!

Vehicles
      02 v6 4mo wagon,08 Komfort wagon,13 cc v6 4mo
      06-16-2012 08:47 PM #80
      Awesome write up.... On my to do list for my 12 SEL.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL, 2007 Touareg VR6
      06-24-2012 03:54 AM #81
      I received a new RVC controller and installed it. The 3C0907441 replaced the 5N0907441B controller that would not work, no matter how I tweaked the coding.

I had to change the canbus gateway coding to 20 variant/station wagon (only way it would work):

And here's the RVC coding as well (adjusted WSC to match other controller in car):

Here are some screen shots showing the turning lines (and rainy day) - first to the left:

To the right:

And the alternative parking assistant screen (there are also 3 addtional screens of instructions on how to use the guide lines and zones for parking assistance:

I also changed the 7th byte in Nav to 00 Optical Park System & Interior Graphics: Standard (via CAN). not sure if this made a difference or not, since I didn't try it both ways.
      Did this installation for less than $600 with Ebay item #330718779091, a lot less than what some others are charging for the same functionality. A big shout-out to him since he sent me a second controller to help resolve the non-functioning first controller. I need to send that back to him asap. This is with Coax camera 5N0827566-G, Controller 3C0907441, and the associated wiring harnesses from the camera to the controller, and from the controller to the RNS. All connections were made at the rear of the RNS for power, ground and canbus high and low. No reverse lights, fuse tap, or CECM taps. If you hold the setup button on the RNS for about 30 seconds, you get into the third level menu. There is a category labeled CAN, and you can see in here when the car is in reverse or not, along with some other parameters. You can scroll through all the pics here:

http://s1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj550/vw_norm/

Still need to calibrate the camera. Tried to step through the procedure, but had an error at the end and the measuring blocks in vagcom had a warning about target not recognized. Since I have the dimensions of the target, I am going to draft it in Visio and print it on a large format printer so I can get rid of the last error in the camera controller.

Still need to get a mounting bracket for the controller. I perused the wiring diagrams and component locations after taking out a erwin subscription. The Tiguan, CC, Touareg, earlier Passats, all have the controller mounted behind the right rear wheelwell. Since I have the TDI and the fill spout for the urea is there, I've routed everything onto the left side, but that may not work for those with a V6 and the battery on the left. Few minor details to work out, but hey - I can see behind me now!!!!
      Last edited by vw norm; 06-24-2012 at 04:48 AM.
      2012 SEL TDI DSG - Platinum Gray with Moonrock
      2007 Touareg V6 - Offroad Gray w/ Anthracite

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      06-24-2012 08:50 AM #82
      the bracket is P/N 3C0971502B

13. Member
      Vehicles
      06-24-2012 11:37 AM #83
      Good work VW norm!

If anybody has figured out where to mount the bracket in the B7, please post it. :-)

14. Member
      Vehicles
      06-24-2012 12:33 PM #84
      Thanks writeb - see the last paragraph in the post above about the controller mounting - I don't think where is too important. If nothing else - there is room behind the trunk liner and the wheel-wells to mount it. I mistakenly ordered a CC controller holder that is a pressed styrofoam holder with 2 spaces for the controller and the other is left blank (I think). That goes on the right side, but with the urea filler spout on the TDI's, I'm looking to fit it on the left side somewhere. The wiring harnesses are plenty long enough to give the flexibility to mount it wherever you want in the trunk area. Mounting on the right side and using the right trunk hinge (especially if you get another hinge cover ) makes sense, since inside the left side hinge cover, there is scant room for the camera harness.

Last edited by vw norm; 06-24-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Vehicles
      2007 B6 Passat Variant Highline 2.0 T FSI
      06-25-2012 10:03 PM #85
      Got my camera. Probably intalling this weekend.
      GTI MK7 Carbon Steel Grey 2014

16. 07-14-2012 05:10 PM #86
      just put one of these in my grandfathers passat 2012 tdi and the install went great but when I tried to code it vagcom gave me an error that said coding help is not avail for this ecu. when I followed the instructions as posted i click on byte 3 and it gives me bits with boxes next to it but no description of what they are. I have the camera the cable and the moosealick ? cable but i can't get it to work any help would be great

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta
      07-14-2012 06:34 PM #87
      Your going to need to update your software. Or other option is to manually change the byte

Vehicles
      2007 B6 Passat Variant Highline 2.0 T FSI
      07-14-2012 10:34 PM #88
      Just got my camera. VW Tiguan model. Installation will have to wait as I'm gonna be out for the next couple of weeks.
      GTI MK7 Carbon Steel Grey 2014

19. 07-15-2012 12:13 AM #89
      for what ever reason all i did was drive the car out of the garage 30ft and put it in rev and it worked. the only thing that may have caused it was the steering warning was on from disconnecting the battery and before pulling out i turn the wheel side to side to clear that. anyhow its working and I am happy. I did this for my grandfather and I did not want to tell him I had 400 with of parts i couldn't return that didn't work

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL
      07-15-2012 05:36 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by pbafire View Post
      It was clickable here in this DIY on the first post?

http://vagpartsforsale.blogspot.com/...agen-golf.html

Use the Kontact me link on his web blog. He got back to me in a few days.

This too is on my project to do list..... or I may hold out for their highline camera where the lines move with the wheel. I know I want the RVC, and this looks like the easy and cheaper route.... I'm just undecided and low on time and money.... so it's on the bottom of the list.
      I know this is an old thread. I've just sent him a note. Hope he is still making these harnesses!

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta
      07-15-2012 09:32 PM #91
      ^ got the camera for sale for cheap..pm me

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat TDI; 2013 VW Jetta GLI
      07-16-2012 05:32 AM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by vw norm View Post
      ...I also changed the 7th byte in Nav to 00 Optical Park System & Interior Graphics: Standard (via CAN). not sure if this made a difference or not, since I didn't try it both ways.
      Did this installation for less than $600 with Ebay item #330718779091, a lot less than what some others are charging for the same functionality. A big shout-out to him since he sent me a second controller to help resolve the non-functioning first controller. I need to send that back to him asap. This is with Coax camera 5N0827566-G, Controller 3C0907441, and the associated wiring harnesses from the camera to the controller, and from the controller to the RNS. All connections were made at the rear of the RNS for power, ground and canbus high and low. No reverse lights, fuse tap, or CECM taps. If you hold the setup button on the RNS for about 30 seconds, you get into the third level menu. There is a category labeled CAN, and you can see in here when the car is in reverse or not, along with some other parameters. You can scroll through all the pics here...
      This is where I got confused. When I asked him if this kit wilk work on 12 US Passat or not, he replied:
      " Hi,

Yes will fit but i must send you control unit with reference 7N0 and not 5N0.

Vaclav"
      That's why I hesitated... Any thought, anyone?

23. Member
      Vehicles
      07-17-2012 02:42 AM #93
      Well, one thing that I know for sure is that the 5N0 controller will not work with the B7 US Passat as he has advertised on Ebay. Vaclav sent me a 3N0 camera controller and it is functioning at this time and I sent back the 5N0 controller after receiving the replacement unit. However, I have not been able to execute a successful calibration procedure for the controller, but that in no way restricts operation of the camera. If there is distortion in the image, then I'm hard pressed to see it. But I have not given up trying. Just too busy to get around to it. Perhaps he has done some more research and has determined that the 7N0 controller is a better match for the Passat. If it doesn't function, insist on a different one, like the 3C0. Although it took some time to receive a new controller, Vaclav delivered as promised and was good about responding to emails. If you manage to get the 7N0 to successfully calibrate, then I may have to take it back up with him. It would be interesting to see what the popup for the controller coding reads as compared to the 3N0 - see here:

24. Member
      Vehicles
      07-17-2012 02:48 AM #94
      We need to split this write up to the orig Low line DIY and this other high line version. Kudos to all that perfected both options (I went low). Just think the thread is getting to blended for new followers to grasp the difference should they not read the whole thread and jump mid pages.

25. 07-29-2012 01:09 AM #95
      http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-tiguan-2...low,id319.html

Looking to do a low line install.

Withe this cable, looks like I wouldn't need the additional power cable listed in the op DIY. If so all I'd need is this cable and the camera with a bit of trim work and vcds.

Anyone have any success with ordering from them and international shipping charges?

26. Member
      Vehicles
      07-29-2012 11:48 AM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldog12 View Post
      http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-tiguan-2...low,id319.html

Looking to do a low line install.

Withe this cable, looks like I wouldn't need the additional power cable listed in the op DIY. If so all I'd need is this cable and the camera with a bit of trim work and vcds.

Anyone have any success with ordering from them and international shipping charges?
      That one looks like it would work.

This one works too: http://www.bold-sport.com/store/inde...&product_id=82

Don't let the black coax looking end confuse you, I've ordered this and it is a black farka with 4 pins like all other links, think they got the pic wrong. But it's the same AC cable plus customs repair wires to do the rear light signal tap and +12 and ground direct from the back of the RVC pins. I used this on my Tig after going the hard way of fuse box and CECM on my passat.

27. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL
      07-29-2012 03:42 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by Aleremb1 View Post
      Just got my camera. VW Tiguan model. Installation will have to wait as I'm gonna be out for the next couple of weeks.
      I just got all my parts for the lowline install. I am also out of town for a few weeks, so install will have to wait. I'm going to try to run mines down the passenger's side into the trunk. And then along the right hinge. Using the right hinge cover, it should match the left side if all goes well!

Vehicles
      Glacier Blue/Blk B7 SE 2.5 5MT
      07-29-2012 10:24 PM #98
      Could this get much simpler with 2013 OEM Bits?

29. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat TDI; 2013 VW Jetta GLI
      07-30-2012 01:23 AM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by See5 View Post
      Could this get much simpler with 2013 OEM Bits?
      It will still take about 3-4 hours because of those wiring.

30. 07-31-2012 03:41 PM #100
      Is this item on EBay essentially the low line kit in an all-in-one package? Would you just need this item and vagcom to complete the lowline install?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-VW-...item4cfcab0d82
      Night Blue/Consilk Beige

31. Member
      Vehicles
      07-31-2012 05:30 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by fingerofg0d View Post
      Is this item on EBay essentially the low line kit in an all-in-one package? Would you just need this item and vagcom to complete the lowline install?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-VW-...item4cfcab0d82
      Yes. This would do the trick.

32. 08-01-2012 12:49 AM #102
      Yes. This would do the trick.
      Do you have to do all the CECM and wire tapping work with that one? I came across this one as well, which is a little less and appears to contain the same equipment:
      http://www.bold-sport.com/store/inde...product_id=165

All things considered, $250 for the camera kit and $250 for a vagcom cable, $500 total is not that bad of a total cost.
      Night Blue/Consilk Beige

33. Member
      Vehicles
      08-01-2012 02:35 AM #103
      You need to buy the interconnection cable too that runs between the camera and the RNS. They're showing on the bottom of the page with the camera. Not sure which one is the one you need though, but its another 60-80 bucks. As far as connections, you can pick up the backup light circuit in the rear. there is a couple of ground studs in the rear compartment as well. For the 12 V hot, that would take a bit of research since I'm not sure that there is an always on 12V hot in the trunk unless you have a V6, as the battery is there. But the simplest way would be to use a fuse buddy in the left side fuse panel since you have to run the harness up to the radio head anyways. From what I've read on the low line camera in the other posts here and other blogs, a reverse signal (usually from CECM - but not necessarily there IMO), a ground and a constant 12V. The beginning of this thread discusses the low-line install very well.

34. 08-01-2012 09:54 AM #104
      You need to buy the interconnection cable too that runs between the camera and the RNS. They're showing on the bottom of the page with the camera. Not sure which one is the one you need though, but its another 60-80 bucks. As far as connections, you can pick up the backup light circuit in the rear. there is a couple of ground studs in the rear compartment as well. For the 12 V hot, that would take a bit of research since I'm not sure that there is an always on 12V hot in the trunk unless you have a V6, as the battery is there. But the simplest way would be to use a fuse buddy in the left side fuse panel since you have to run the harness up to the radio head anyways. From what I've read on the low line camera in the other posts here and other blogs, a reverse signal (usually from CECM - but not necessarily there IMO), a ground and a constant 12V. The beginning of this thread discusses the low-line install very well.
      It appears that interconnection cable is included in both kits, if it's the long coiled cable in both. It looks like it has the connection to the camera and the pinned end for the back of the RNS unit. Thanks for the confirmation.
      Night Blue/Consilk Beige

35. 08-01-2012 11:45 AM #105
      I just sent the cash for the camera to Jettys and will order the $60 cable from boldsport, should be a good install, def looking forward to it!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast