Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Passat B7 Rear View Camera Install

Vehicles
      2012 Passat 2.5 SEL Premium
      08-18-2012 12:05 PM #141
      Quote Originally Posted by markitzero View Post
      I was really trying to minimize cutting factory wiring and that's why I used the wire tap. Agree that soldering is superior. The kit was $250 from boldsport with $25 in shipping and I spend about another $25 in other adapters, tape, zip ties, wire taps, and add-a-fuse. $300 complete. Granted, I already had the VAGCOM.
      Hi. Could you post the brand for the wire tap and add-a-fuse adapters you use?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat TDI SEL, 2012 VW Touareg TDI Lux
      08-18-2012 02:04 PM #142
      Quote Originally Posted by hhead View Post
      Four of the clips stayed in the trunk when I went to removed the panel. Trying to use pliers to remove them, two bent to hell and just wouldn't come out. Off to buy new clips!
      I spent a few minutes trying to get them to come out but then found it easier to reach behind and push them through. Popped right through at that point. Just don't drop them.
      Current: 2012 Passat TDI SEL / 2012 Touareg TDI Lux
      Past VW: 2005 Touareg 3.2 / 1996 GTI-VR6
      Past Other: 2007 Audi Q7 4.2 / 2007 BMW 328xi / 2006 Porsche Cayenne / 2003 Audi A6 3.0Q / 2001 Audi A4 2.8Q / 1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara / 1991 Honda Accord EX / 1989 Toyota Supra

3. Member
      Vehicles
      08-18-2012 02:15 PM #143
      Quote Originally Posted by harivas View Post
      Hi. Could you post the brand for the wire tap and add-a-fuse adapters you use?
      I picked them up at O'Reiley Auto Parts...

Add A Fuse

Wire Tap This link shows the 500 pack and a blue one. I got the red 18-22 gauge version in a pack of 6 or so.
      Past Other: 2007 Audi Q7 4.2 / 2007 BMW 328xi / 2006 Porsche Cayenne / 2003 Audi A6 3.0Q / 2001 Audi A4 2.8Q / 1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara / 1991 Honda Accord EX / 1989 Toyota Supra

Vehicles
      2012 Passat 2.5 SEL Premium
      08-18-2012 11:04 PM #144
      Thanks!

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL
      08-20-2012 12:24 PM #145
      Quote Originally Posted by markitzero View Post
      I spent a few minutes trying to get them to come out but then found it easier to reach behind and push them through. Popped right through at that point. Just don't drop them.
      Looking for these clips. Anyone know the part number for these clips?

6. n00b
      Vehicles
      2009 VW Jetta TDI, 2012 VW Passat TDI SE
      08-20-2012 03:50 PM #146
      With the bold-sport camera kit, are you still able to open the trunk from the outside without the FOB? Does the handle still have the release button in it?

7. Member
      Vehicles
      08-21-2012 08:24 PM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by turtherlips View Post
      With the bold-sport camera kit, are you still able to open the trunk from the outside without the FOB? Does the handle still have the release button in it?
      Yes. Factory part.

8. 08-24-2012 08:03 AM #148
      So the bold sport kit for 199 is all that is needed other than the Vag Com for a 2012 passat TDI SEL?

Other than a few small wiring parts.....

Thank you.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      08-24-2012 08:13 AM #149
      Dont use an add-a-fuse just put the wire clip directly into fuse box. You will have to figure out which spot to use. And not being a dick but since I'm not getting any money on this deal so you will have to figure it out yourself.

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta
      08-25-2012 11:42 AM #150
      Got cameras available for cheap..pm me
      SteveMKVI JettaMy Car Activate Full MFD MK6 Jetta DIY

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      08-25-2012 01:41 PM #151
      My harness looks like this BTW.
      PM me with ??

12. n00b
      Vehicles
      2013 Passat TDI 6MT Reflex Silver/Moonrock; 2000 ALH 5M Jetta TDI
      08-26-2012 10:05 AM #152
      Has anyone found a harmess that doesn't require adding a fuse as some suggested earlier in the thread? Id pay extra money to avoid cutting more wires on my new ride. It sounded like the car system version was possibly getting power from the rear of the rns.

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL
      08-26-2012 11:02 AM #153
      I think all harnesses, you are going to need to find 12V, with also the triggering voltage. I found the Malooshik harness the LEAST invasive. With only having to solder the 12v power source to an add a fuse.
      The pin from the CECM is already spliced into his harness. Pull the male pin from CECM, insert into his female , heat shrink it, which is provided. Then take his male end and insert it back into the CECM. Take his 12v supply line, solder the add a fuse to it, and plug into the fuse box. There is NO splicing of factory wires at all!

14. n00b
      Vehicles
      2013 Passat TDI 6MT Reflex Silver/Moonrock; 2000 ALH 5M Jetta TDI
      08-26-2012 11:04 AM #154
      Great. That is the route I will take. Thanks for the help.

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL
      08-26-2012 11:09 AM #155
      I meant female end from CECM, into his male end. And insert his female end back into the harness.
      My tip on removing the pin from the harness, is to use a staple bent into a U shape, to release the pin from the CECM.
      If you are going with Malooshik harness, make sure the camera you are buying, doesn't already have a harness attached to it! Otherwise you'll be buying two harnesses. You are going to want the camera only. It will be cheaper for the one with a camera only.

edit: I should have said video feed. The camera itself is in the handle. So make sure the video feed that you buy, does NOT have the harness to it, if going the Maloosheck route.
      Last edited by hhead; 08-26-2012 at 09:37 PM.

16. 08-26-2012 02:48 PM #156
      I would like to do this on my 2012 Passat TDI. Can you guys give me the exact parts i need to order from Bold-Sport to accomplish this?

Also, anyone in or near Los Angeles that could help me with coding? I don't have the cable, but will pay you if you can help me do so.

Thanks for the write up guys...great work!

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL
      08-26-2012 09:42 PM #157
      I don't know about the Bold-Sport kit, does it include the camera in the handle?
      I'm going out of town, leaving this weekend for one month. If no one has set you up with the coding by then, PM me and I can help you with that. Where in LA are you?
      Last edited by hhead; 08-26-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta
      08-26-2012 10:56 PM #158
      I have the cameras for cheap. Oem with working handles. Pm me.

19. 08-27-2012 01:35 AM #159
      Thanks hhead, I will do that. Im located near Santa Monica exit and the 405 fwy.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      08-27-2012 07:01 AM #160
      Quote Originally Posted by jaredaggie View Post
      Has anyone found a harmess that doesn't require adding a fuse as some suggested earlier in the thread? Id pay extra money to avoid cutting more wires on my new ride. It sounded like the car system version was possibly getting power from the rear of the rns.
      My kit does not require any cutting.

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta
      08-27-2012 07:13 PM #161
      Verebs1 harness is top notch stuff. I used it and It works and looks oem.
      Still got some more cameras left at the lowest price. PM ME. This is a mod you must have if your car came with nav

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Touareg VR6 Sport. 2012 Passat TDI SEL
      09-01-2012 02:05 AM #162
      Just finished installing the kit from Bold-Sport. First big thanks to those who's done this already and shared what they did here, couldn't have done it without your help.

Just thought I'd share a couple of things I noticed during the install.

• If you are clumsy with tools, make sure to protect the bottom of your rear window when you are swapping the trunk handle. I accidentally dropped my wrench on my window while attempting to unscrew the trunk handle. Luckily I used a small wrench so there were no cracks . I'm guessing some painter's tape would work, or maybe some towels, just to make sure if something does drop there will be no damage.
      • To get the power and video lines from the trunk into the car, I initially followed the tail light harness but diverted to follow subwoofer harness when I got close to it. I did this because I only had to remove the single plastic screw near the driver rear seat seat-belt opening and peel back some tarp material in order to follow the subwoofer harness. This is with the rear seats down and the trim piece next to the seat pulled loose but not completely removed. The tail light harness seemed harder to follow into the cabin but I could be wrong.
      • I did not completely remove the door sill trim and the trim piece next the the driver side rear seat. I also did not have to remove the rear seat cushion. I just pulled a couple of tabs on the trim pieces to create enough room to stuff the wires through, and zip-tied the wires to the harness that's already there where I had room. Granted doing it like this scraped up my arms a bit, but if you are weary about breaking something prying the trim pieces open part way will work.
      • If it doesn't work, test your connections using a volt meter. I followed the guide posted earlier that told me to ground on the trunk handle bolt. For whatever reason that did not give me a good ground, so I grounded on the larger trunk lock bolt instead.

Some behaviors I noticed with the Bold-Sport kit:
      • I got an airbag warning on dash when I disconnected the airbag light on the radio trim. After I reconnected the light, the warning did not go away automatically. I had to clear it using VCDS.
      • If the Nav Unit is turned off, the backup camera does not seem come on automatically when the car is in reverse. It appears that the Nav Unit must be not turned off in order for the reverse camera view to show up. This is contrary to my Touareg 3, where the backup camera would come up even with the Nav Unit initially off.
      Last edited by magrider; 09-01-2012 at 02:16 AM.

23. 09-03-2012 09:36 AM #163
      I also just completed the bold sport install. I had the same issue with the air bag and expected it from reading. I have an sel tdi and mine does come on with the radio off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

24. 09-17-2012 05:33 AM #164
      any updated DIY?

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta
      09-18-2012 11:53 AM #165
      Got some back up cameras left for sale. Smokin price. Pm me.

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta
      09-21-2012 06:49 PM #166

27. 09-25-2012 05:18 AM #167
      Ok im ready to do this mod but have some question before I pull the trigger if you all will be so kind to respond as to the function and install?

1) oemplus and boldsport say only wire harness and camera is needed is this correct no module? OP showed a module that seems to disappear after pg2 of the thread with only hardness and cam required?

2) oemplus says 2 parking modes traverse and longitudinal so how you toggle between the 2?

3) how does the mod differ from OE '13 model cars? Parts? Function? Some are using Tiguan and other Jetta Mk6 so whats the difference?

4) do I have to wait for navi source unit to warm up before I go in reverse? that would get annoying quick there were posts above on this page that said yes and another above that said no from the same boldsport kit so which is it? Mine is a SEL TDI

5) anyway to avoid airbag light when taking off the radio trim?

6) I will need a plug and play so whats the deal with cutting the cars wires and add a fuse anyway around it?

7) Can I plug into the fusebox on a blank slot with a factory pin on the power harness? can I grab it from the trunklid maybe lic plate lights somehow without splicing anything?

8) Where do I source it from and would there be any difference depending on who supplies it? Some say cam with wires some without its a little confusing which and what type of camera and harness is required.

Sorry if I am repeating something I did read all pages of this thread and found some conflicting info. I would like to have an up to date post to condense the reading for others that are wishing to do this mod.

Thanks all
      Last edited by Jetta-George; 09-25-2012 at 06:01 AM.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat TDI; 2013 VW Jetta GLI
      09-25-2012 12:18 PM #168
      Quote Originally Posted by Jetta-George View Post
      Ok im ready to do this mod but have some question before I pull the trigger if you all will be so kind to respond as to the function and install?

1) oemplus and boldsport say only wire harness and camera is needed is this correct no module? OP showed a module that seems to disappear after pg2 of the thread with only hardness and cam required?

2) oemplus says 2 parking modes traverse and longitudinal so how you toggle between the 2?

3) how does the mod differ from OE '13 model cars? Parts? Function? Some are using Tiguan and other Jetta Mk6 so whats the difference?

4) do I have to wait for navi source unit to warm up before I go in reverse? that would get annoying quick there were posts above on this page that said yes and another above that said no from the same boldsport kit so which is it? Mine is a SEL TDI

6) I will need a plug and play so whats the deal with cutting the cars wires and add a fuse anyway around it?

7) Can I plug into the fusebox on a blank slot with a factory pin on the power harness? can I grab it from the trunklid maybe lic plate lights somehow without splicing anything?

8) Where do I source it from and would there be any difference depending on who supplies it? Some say cam with wires some without its a little confusing which and what type of camera and harness is required.

Sorry if I am repeating something I did read all pages of this thread and found some conflicting info. I would like to have an up to date post to condense the reading for others that are wishing to do this mod.

Thanks all
      It seems like the one on OEM Plus website is hiline kit. It is a little bit different than the one discussed here.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Touareg VR6 Sport. 2012 Passat TDI SEL
      09-25-2012 01:10 PM #169
      I installed the boldsport kit, and will try to answer your question the best I can.

The oemplus kit with the control module is the hi-line kit. It has visual guide lines that predict the path of the car as you turn the steering wheel in addition to a visual parallel parking assist mode. The hi-line kit comes stock on more expensive VW models. The boldsport low-line kit is just a dumb reverse camera without the control module and the extra features. I don't know if the hi-line kit can be properly installed on the Passat. From the looks of it, it seems that the stock reverse camera on 2013 Passat SEL is the low-line kit.

Reverse mode and parallel parking mode as mentioned above. hi-line kit features.

The boldsport camera itself seems like a stock VW part, but the power line and the way you hook it up most likely is not. The function seems to be the same as stock.

TDI SEL uses RNS-510, which is what I have. If the car has been parked for a long time, the nav unit goes to sleep and it takes a good 5-10 seconds for it to wake back up. When it is doing this, u see the fender splash screen. If you put the car into reverse, the backup camera view will not show until the fender splash screen goes away. You will have to wait a good 5 seconds or more during these instances and it is annoying. But if you are really in a situation that requires the backup camera, it is a small price to pay. I don't know if RNS-315 has this problem since it is a faster/more responsive unit.

Don't know, should not be a problem anyway since you can just clear the error using VCDS, which you would need anyway to activate the reverse camera feature.

The camera needs a way to know when the car is in reverse so it can turn itself on. Ultimately the car knows this information so I am guessing the 2013 stock camera has a line going directly into the Central Electronics / Body Control Module (BCM). If you don't want to splice any wires, this is probably the route you need to take. The reverse light must also be hooked up to the BCM somewhere, since it lights up whenever the car is in reverse. So it is an indirect way of knowing when the car is in reverse, and the power line is right there next to the camera. For the cost of 1 spliced factory wire you save yourself a lot of installation time.
      The add-a-fuse thing really does not count against plug and play. The camera needs power to work, and there are unused slots on the fuse box that is hot. So you something that is shaped like a fuse at one end and has a wire on the other, so u can tap that power cleanly. i.e. add-a-fuse.

The splice occurs not on the power wire, but the control wire. you plug power wire onto a blank fuse slot that is hot when the car is on. You have to connect the control wire with something that ONLY turns hot when the car is in reverse.(reverse light positive wire, the proper pin in BCM etc)

Just get the boldsport kit for $200, save the extra money vs the oem plus kit and if you are apprehensive, pay a professional the money you saved to install it for you.
      Last edited by magrider; 09-25-2012 at 01:24 PM.

30. 09-28-2012 12:43 AM #170
      Thanks looks like there is a highline version and lowline as you've mentioned which as the key to unlock all my questions.

31. 10-11-2012 03:45 PM #171
      I found a great kit for the RNS 315/510. Fairly simple install, and there is a better way to program than going through the Nav Gateway. PM if you would like info.

32. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Candy White with Beige Leather 2012 Passat TDI SEL
      10-11-2012 06:00 PM #172
      Quote Originally Posted by Augsburger View Post
      I found a great kit for the RNS 315/510. Fairly simple install, and there is a better way to program than going through the Nav Gateway. PM if you would like info.
      How about just posting the info so more of us can become informed?

33. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI, 2005 Ford F-250 6.0 diesel, 2007 Artitic Fox 5th Wheel
      10-11-2012 08:10 PM #173
      I sent him a PM right after he posted that....no answer yet.
      2012 Passat SE TDI NAV
      2005 F250 PSD 4X4 LB CrewCab Arizona Beige / Blue Spring / Gauges / Coolant Filter / SG-II / Peragon Bed Cover
      2007 Arctic Fox 30' Fifth Wheel

34. 10-12-2012 11:05 AM #174
      pm sent

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat TDI; 2013 VW Jetta GLI
      10-19-2012 01:07 AM #175
      Quote Originally Posted by Jetta-George View Post
      Thanks looks like there is a highline version and lowline as you've mentioned which as the key to unlock all my questions.
      OEM Plus's kit has 4 parts:
      1) Control Unit (3AE 907 441)

2) Wiring Harness

3) Control Unit Holder (3C0 971 502 B)

4) Handle with camera (5N0 827 566 A)

Hope the info helps!
      Last edited by cnnpress; 10-19-2012 at 01:18 AM. Reason: More info

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast