Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Results 51 to 75 of 90

    Thread: oops--I did it again (turbo minivan content)

    1. 03-09-2012 01:57 PM #51
      You know, it sounds like you had all of the parts in your garage ready
      and waiting for the next Turbo Minivan project to come along...

      Congrats! I'm looking forwarding to reading the progress reports.

    2. 03-09-2012 02:42 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by adoniram7 View Post
      You know, it sounds like you had all of the parts in your garage ready and waiting for the next Turbo Minivan project to come along...
      You don't know the half of it.

      After I reinstalled the head assembly, I had to crawl under the van to reattach the exhaust and the turbo's oil and coolant hoses. While lying under there, I suddenly realized something: the swaybar is gone. I don't mean it is worn out, or the bushings are in serious need of replacement; I mean the entire swaybar assembly--bushings, mounting hardware, all of it--is not on the vehicle. I was perplexed and a bit furious. I mean, come on, what sort of a moron removes the swaybar from a daily driven minivan?!? Seriously. What benefit does that offer? (sigh) So that's one more thing I need to reinstall on this van.

      Turns out I have a minivan swaybar in my garage. With a full set of OEM bushings.
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata, 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 14 Impreza Limited

    3. 03-09-2012 02:52 PM #53
      Subscribed, looking forward to reading more.
      I'm dying to bust my GLH from winter hibernation!

      Mpar

    4. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      21,388
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      03-09-2012 02:55 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboMinivan View Post
      Turns out I have a minivan swaybar in my garage. With a full set of OEM bushings.
      Of course you do, Dempsey.

      Because you are MISTER TURBO MINIVAN.

      That should be embossed on a custom wallet. Like the BMF wallet. But cooler.

    5. 03-09-2012 02:58 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboMinivan View Post
      You don't know the half of it.

      After I reinstalled the head assembly, I had to crawl under the van to reattach the exhaust and the turbo's oil and coolant hoses. While lying under there, I suddenly realized something: the swaybar is gone. I don't mean it is worn out, or the bushings are in serious need of replacement; I mean the entire swaybar assembly--bushings, mounting hardware, all of it--is not on the vehicle. I was perplexed and a bit furious. I mean, come on, what sort of a moron removes the swaybar from a daily driven minivan?!? Seriously. What benefit does that offer? (sigh) So that's one more thing I need to reinstall on this van.

      Turns out I have a minivan swaybar in my garage. With a full set of OEM bushings.
      ...which you just happened to have laying around.

      You're...addicted. You know that, right?

    6. 03-09-2012 03:50 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by adoniram7 View Post
      ...which you just happened to have laying around.

      You're...addicted. You know that, right?
      The thing is, I honestly have no idea why I have that swaybar. I know I parted out a turbo minivan a few years back, but I don't know what made me think to remove the swaybar of all things. As it has sat on my garage floor over the years, I have often thought of chucking it. After all, when would I ever need a minivan swaybar? It's not like they break, or go bad, or whatever.

      Now I'm glad I kept it.

      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      That should be embossed on a custom wallet. Like the BMF wallet. But cooler.
      You guys crack me up.
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata, 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 14 Impreza Limited

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 5th, 2003
      Location
      Westlake, Oh
      Posts
      2,432
      Vehicles
      2015 Tesla S85D
      03-09-2012 04:40 PM #57
      I know you know this, but Dempsey Bowling is not a person's name, it's a company. I suspect that Dempsey Bowling repairs and refurbishes pinsetters and bowling ball fitting equipment.

      But the work truck is, of course, a Turbo Minivan.

    8. Member Orion ZyGarian's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 25th, 2012
      Location
      FLorida
      Posts
      141
      Vehicles
      88 Supra turbo; 93, 96 Miatas
      03-09-2012 06:13 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by brickfrenzy View Post
      I know you know this, but Dempsey Bowling is not a person's name, it's a company. I suspect that Dempsey Bowling repairs and refurbishes pinsetters and bowling ball fitting equipment.

      But the work truck is, of course, a Turbo Minivan.
      LOL!

      Love the thread, and enjoyed reading all of it. Nothing quite like knowing a car inside and out, and if anything goes wrong, already know what it is and have the parts to repair it

    9. Member Provocyclist's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2004
      Location
      Salt Lake City, UT
      Posts
      2,800
      Vehicles
      2004 Volvo XC70, 1999 Passat 1.8t Wagon (sold), 1985 Vanagon SVX (sold)
      03-09-2012 07:40 PM #59
      I remember this van, I had recently finished the svx swap in my vanagon and was crusing around orem. On my down University Parkway, I hear the unmistakable sound of BOV. I look around and all i see is this white mommy assault vehicle. We end up doing a bit of spirited driving, and finally pull into a parking lot to comiserate about how awesome we both are. Good to see its still hangin out in Utah County.

      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      The horn is there to honk. Why wouldn't I honk it? I honk for lots of things. Honk at me? You bet i'll honk back. Honk honk mother****er i'm a Tacoma driver and you better get the **** out of my way.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 14th, 2004
      Location
      Vancouver, WA
      Posts
      866
      Vehicles
      02 GLI
      03-09-2012 08:39 PM #60
      I am now heading to Craigslist to find a turbo Caravan......
      You can sleep in a car, but you can't track a house!

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 14th, 2004
      Location
      Vancouver, WA
      Posts
      866
      Vehicles
      02 GLI
      03-09-2012 09:09 PM #61
      You can sleep in a car, but you can't track a house!

    12. Member Kyle C's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 7th, 2002
      Location
      Utah
      Posts
      1,574
      Vehicles
      12 Cylinders, 7 liters, 580 HP & 8 wheels!
      03-09-2012 10:41 PM #62
      About the 8 valve head....

      I don't pretend to know all the details, but with some creativity the 16 valve dual cam heads from the Neon/Stratus will work on that block. Which heads happen to be VERY similar to the GT Cruiser/SRT-4 heads, and have plenty of turbo friendly cam grinds available. If you are crazy enough a 500 hp minivan is not out of the question.


    13. Member Bias_Ply's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 6th, 2010
      Posts
      3,055
      Vehicles
      Mustang GT
      03-09-2012 10:54 PM #64
      Read the thread, and searched my local craigslist

      For Daytonas......
      The good news: I gave up on being one of the cool kids!

    14. 03-09-2012 11:08 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by Kyle C View Post
      About the 8 valve head....

      I don't pretend to know all the details, but with some creativity the 16 valve dual cam heads from the Neon/Stratus will work on that block. Which heads happen to be VERY similar to the GT Cruiser/SRT-4 heads, and have plenty of turbo friendly cam grinds available. If you are crazy enough a 500 hp minivan is not out of the question.
      Anyone who buys one of these things isn't doing it for family reasons, and that pretty much guarantees they are certifiable anyway.
      2014 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Edition30, Pure White/Black V-tex/carbon
      2015 Toyota Sienna SE, Predawn Gray Mica/Black

      Son of a gun / Master of fate / Bows to no god, kingdom, or state.

    15. 03-12-2012 08:28 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfVIDriver View Post
      Anyone who buys one of these things isn't doing it for family reasons
      You got that right. When I bought it, only one of the bench seats was installed--the other was in the former owner's shop. He asked when I wanted to come get it. "Never," I answered. And just this afternoon, I drove the van to another friend's work and gave him the remaining bench for him to use as extra seating in his shop. So now my van is a two-seater, just the way I like it.

      Quote Originally Posted by Provocyclist View Post
      Good to see its still hangin out in Utah County.
      Yep, it is still in the family.

      For the time being, I am feeding full intake pressure to the wastegate actuator. This limits my boost output to a meager 5 psi, and the result is not a lot of power. I'll get a manual controller on there soon enough.

      TODAY'S UPDATE:

      I made it to work this time, thus I was able to check out the van's smog performance. My plan had been to hook up to the machine and set it in real-time mode; this way I could make adjustments and get instant feedback, thus knowing when I was dialed in. My tech decided to skip this step and just try running the test as it sat. Apparently I had dialed in the fuel pressure fairly well, as the van passed the test on its first attempt.

      Now I just need to pass the required safety test. I made plans to run that test tomorrow afternoon; I'll spend the morning fixing a few minor issues which will (hopefully) allow me to pass. After that, I'll get my license plates and be all official.
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata, 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 14 Impreza Limited

    16. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      21,388
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      03-12-2012 08:45 PM #67
      Nice, Dempsey!

      That $1500 Turbovan is far, far too close to me.

    17. 03-12-2012 08:55 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      That $1500 Turbovan is far, far too close to me.
      DO IT. You know you want to.
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata, 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 14 Impreza Limited

    18. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      21,388
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      03-12-2012 08:59 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboMinivan View Post
      DO IT. You know you want to.
      Great. Now Matt will chime in, goading me on to make an awesome, yet huge, mistake...

    19. Member jazzcat2001's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 17th, 2004
      Location
      Hazelwood, MO
      Posts
      3,565
      Vehicles
      97 GTi VR6
      03-12-2012 09:07 PM #70
      too fricken cool
      Jim- Owner of rustisnotacrime.com Like us on FB!
      Admin on Rival House. Like us on FB!
      SE Auto

    20. Member 200HP4dr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 21st, 2001
      Location
      SW KS
      Posts
      9,051
      03-12-2012 09:12 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Great. Now Matt will chime in, goading me on to make an awesome, yet huge, mistake...
      What will you tell your grandchildren? That you had a chance to own one and never did? What kind of a story will that be? No. You will buy it, then share with your kids and grandkids the time that you did a giant smokey burnout and then blew a giant white cloud out your tailpipe along with the remainder of the head gasket.

      DO IT.

      Chris
      | 2015 Chevy Sonic | 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan | 1990 Ford F-150 | 2014 Prius | 1997 Chevy Tahoe | 1965 Buick Riviera |

    21. Member rains's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 30th, 2008
      Location
      Sherwood Park
      Posts
      1,095
      Vehicles
      1995 Saturn SW1
      03-12-2012 09:16 PM #72
      this thread is excellent.

      My first vehicles I learnt how to drive in were a turbo lebaron, and an astro van. I always wished I could put the two together
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      This thread is now about car cakes.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Things I learned today: You don't have to pass grade 12 English to Manage a Honda dealership.

    22. Member lab_rat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 26th, 2001
      Location
      Seoul
      Posts
      813
      Vehicles
      2013 N20, 2008 RC46, 2012 RC63
      03-12-2012 09:20 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboMinivan View Post
      Thank you.

      True story: when looking over the van to ensure I wanted to buy it, there was the inevitable test drive. I opened the door, climbed into the driver's seat and closed the door. Then I put the key in the ignition and started it. While the seat belt chime sounded, I buckled up. All the while, I kept thinking to myself, "wow--this feels just like home."

      It's great to be back.
      Wow...I can only imagine that feeling... it sounds like when I pull the VFR out of the garage after a long winter, turn the key, and hit the start button.

      Glad to see you get back into a turbo brick. Keep us posted.

      I TCL

    23. Member 200HP4dr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 21st, 2001
      Location
      SW KS
      Posts
      9,051
      03-12-2012 09:48 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by Bias_Ply View Post
      Read the thread, and searched my local craigslist

      For Daytonas......
      You're welcome.

      http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/2899085037.html

      Chris
      | 2015 Chevy Sonic | 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan | 1990 Ford F-150 | 2014 Prius | 1997 Chevy Tahoe | 1965 Buick Riviera |

    24. 03-12-2012 09:59 PM #75
      ^^^ HAH! I think I know that guy.
      2014 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Edition30, Pure White/Black V-tex/carbon
      2015 Toyota Sienna SE, Predawn Gray Mica/Black

      Son of a gun / Master of fate / Bows to no god, kingdom, or state.

    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •