Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Diesel Exhaust smell coming in from vents on new 2012 TDI

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Candy White TDI Premium Nav
      11-21-2011 07:04 PM #1
      I just picked up my new 2012 Candy White TDI this weekend and there is the smell of Diesel exhaust coming in through the vents in the cabin. It is not there all the time but comes and goes. I asked the dealer to look into it but was told its just the undercoating from the burn in. I have been driving diesels for 20 years, I know what it smells like! Besides, the new TDI does not make diesel oder out the tail pipe and its not due to heat because it starts coming through the vents as soon as I start the engine. I traded a 2009 TDI Sportwagon and never smelled any diesel exhaust the entire time I owned it! I've walked around the car when the smell was coming in to see if the vents where pulling it in from outside but outside the car there is no noticeable odor, so I suspect it must be coming from under the hood near the firewall which is where the turbo and exhaust is located.

So my question to people here is has anyone else had this experience with a new 11 or 12 TDI? Will it go away or is a service call required 2 days after delivery?

Vehicles
      12 Jetta TDI Premium 13 Jetta SE with conv.
      11-21-2011 07:16 PM #2
      I haven't smelled any diesel since day 1 and have about 3k on it now. I'd be concerned also. ---Mike

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      11-21-2011 08:07 PM #3
      I had an initial smell of what your dealer described but it went away. Every now and again when my car goes into regeneration I sometimes smell diesel when the exhaust is hot.

Vehicles
      Mk.6. 2013 Mondeo Hybrid. 2014 Mondeo Hybrid. Jeep 4x4. 300C HEMI (FS).
      11-21-2011 09:27 PM #4
      Check your injectors. There's a recall out for leaky injectors, and if they're leaking, that could be the cause.
      New guys: READ THIS FIRST. | 8V Society: #369 | VW / Audi & BMW Indy Technician (PM for VCDS / GT1 Coding) | Help find Grant's pictures.
      Quote Originally Posted by xombiesarelove View Post
      Seems like it would be pretty self explanatory. Just hand the guy a bomb and an IKEA level instruction sheet and call it day.
      Quote Originally Posted by NotLowEnough View Post
      GirlsLoveIt.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      11-21-2011 09:31 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnIBarr01 View Post
      Check your injectors. There's a recall out for leaky injectors, and if they're leaking, that could be the cause.
      I thought it was for the lines and not the injectors? Either way +1 to that I forgot all about that recall.

Vehicles
      Mk.6. 2013 Mondeo Hybrid. 2014 Mondeo Hybrid. Jeep 4x4. 300C HEMI (FS).
      11-21-2011 09:38 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Fussgus View Post
      I thought it was for the lines and not the injectors? Either way +1 to that I forgot all about that recall.
      The injectors are leaking at the seals going into the heads.
      New guys: READ THIS FIRST. | 8V Society: #369 | VW / Audi & BMW Indy Technician (PM for VCDS / GT1 Coding) | Help find Grant's pictures.
      Quote Originally Posted by xombiesarelove View Post
      Seems like it would be pretty self explanatory. Just hand the guy a bomb and an IKEA level instruction sheet and call it day.
      Quote Originally Posted by NotLowEnough View Post
      GirlsLoveIt.

7. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      11-21-2011 10:37 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnIBarr01 View Post
      The injectors are leaking at the seals going into the heads.

There is already a recall on the 2012 TDI? They just came out !

Oh well.. after driving home in a cabin that smelled like I was following a semi truck.. I decided to open the hood and sniff around. I could smell the exhaust odor at the back of the engine where the Plastic intake pipe goes into the manifold. it was pretty strong there and not so much anywhere else. everything is very close together back there so its difficult to pinpoint anything as the cause but I think there may be an exhaust leak there. Since it seems to get stronger at times and much less at others maybe the EGR is involved.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies!! I will take it in to service tomorrow and mention all the input I got here. It is definitely not some undercoating or other material getting hot. I just hope they find it and fix it and thats the end of it!

I'll report back what they find!

Vehicles
      2010 mk5 jetta tdi / 2012 mk6 jetta tdi / 2002 mk4 jetta wagon /2008 audi a4 b7
      11-21-2011 10:45 PM #8
      Are you sure its diesel that your smelling ? if your car is new then the smell you actually are smelling could be the lubrication oils being heated up that are on the car for protection. mainly in the engine compartment. when i got my 2010 mk5 for the first week the car gave off an odor ... it was from the lube that the put on the parts when the car is being shipped

9. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      11-21-2011 10:59 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by thaynes23 View Post
      Are you sure its diesel that your smelling ? if your car is new then the smell you actually are smelling could be the lubrication oils being heated up that are on the car for protection. mainly in the engine compartment. when i got my 2010 mk5 for the first week the car gave off an odor ... it was from the lube that the put on the parts when the car is being shipped
      Yes, its diesel exhaust. Not raw diesel or petroleum oder. I have had VW diesels since 1991 and I know the smell of the exhaust very well. My 2009 TDI sport wagon had no exhaust oder at all. Even if I had the hood open and the engine running there was not smell of any kind. But I do know what you are referring to because when it was new it had a hot metallic/petroleum kind of smell for about 3 months but it was only outside not in the cabin or coming in the vents.

I took my friends for a ride at lunch today and they all rolled the windows down as soon as I started the engine! It occurs that fast! The parts don't have to get hot before you smell it.. its exhaust!

But thanks for the input!

Vehicles
      11-22-2011 05:56 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by bimmerdude View Post
      There is already a recall on the 2012 TDI? They just came out !

Oh well.. after driving home in a cabin that smelled like I was following a semi truck.. I decided to open the hood and sniff around. I could smell the exhaust odor at the back of the engine where the Plastic intake pipe goes into the manifold. it was pretty strong there and not so much anywhere else. everything is very close together back there so its difficult to pinpoint anything as the cause but I think there may be an exhaust leak there. Since it seems to get stronger at times and much less at others maybe the EGR is involved.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies!! I will take it in to service tomorrow and mention all the input I got here. It is definitely not some undercoating or other material getting hot. I just hope they find it and fix it and thats the end of it!

I'll report back what they find!
      The recall is for the fuel rails. Had mine done two weeks ago. Also, there is a DSG and bluetooth update that they should be able to handle for you. They did mine at same visit.---Mike

11. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      11-22-2011 09:53 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Niks01turbo View Post
      The recall is for the fuel rails. Had mine done two weeks ago. Also, there is a DSG and bluetooth update that they should be able to handle for you. They did mine at same visit.---Mike
      Thanks for the info! I had the DSG update done in my 2009 JSW and it made a huge difference in the clunky shifting, I'll see if they do any updates on my 12 TDI while its in the shop now.

So here is the update on the Exhaust smell.... They found a warped flange on the exhaust that was leaking exhaust into the engine compartment! Will be replaced tomorrow because they didn't have the part. I hope it fixes the problem once and for all. VW quality is definitely falling in my opinion! How a vehicle with this easily spotted issue could get off the assembly line is amazing.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      11-24-2011 06:46 PM #12
      Do you know what they even did? When I purchased mine they put rubber dampers on my injector lines and that was it.

13. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      11-24-2011 07:39 PM #13
      Do you know what they even did? When I purchased mine they put rubber dampers on my injector lines and that was it.
      The good news is they got the new flange and gasket installed and no more exhaust coming in the vents! Plus I got my window tint done while it was there so now I am good to go! Hope this is the last of the issues for a long time!

14. 11-24-2011 07:43 PM #14
      The good news is they got the new flange and gasket installed and no more exhaust coming in the vents! Plus I got my window tint done while it was there so now I am good to go! Hope this is the last of the issues for a long time!

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      11-24-2011 08:28 PM #15
      The dealer will tint your windows?

Vehicles
      11-24-2011 09:17 PM #16
      The dealer will tint your windows?
      I had the dealer do mine also. Was part of my purchase contract. They just sub it out to a local shop. Lifetime warranty. ----Mike

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      11-25-2011 02:21 PM #17
      I had the dealer do mine also. Was part of my purchase contract. They just sub it out to a local shop. Lifetime warranty. ----Mike
      Jealous.

18. 01-29-2012 03:44 PM #18
      Posting for the benefit of other new Jetta TDI owners having this issue.

I have a 2012 TDI that also had the exhaust smell in the cabin. Five trips to two dealers before it was fixed. The turbo gasket had a leak. It was very frustrating but now that it is fixed, I love the car.

19. 11-05-2013 07:25 PM #19
      I can smell diesel from vents in my car now. I did not have this problem before

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

20. 11-05-2013 09:08 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by bitek View Post
      I can smell diesel from vents in my car now. I did not have this problem before

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
      I was gonna say regeneration or "regen" but it seems as though a few people have had an actual issue with gaskets and such leaking but I notice a faint diesel odor when a regen is occurring.