Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Golf R vs GTI - Engine differences?

Vehicles
      92 Corrado SLC, '12 Golf R
      11-23-2011 12:56 PM #1
      Does anybody know if there is a difference between the R and the TSI GTI's internals?

Running into a dilema of owning one car (Golf R) or two (TDI along with either turboing my 24v, or selling it and buying an LS1 powered chevy).

Either way, I want to end up with 450+whp. Easily achieved with the LS1 with heads/cam (along with supporting mods) and a tune. However with the TSI I'd need to do something like the STG 3+ APR turbo, along with internals. If the R comes with stronger rods then I'm guessing the STG 3+ kit alone would hit my mark.

I'm figuring (very rough numbers, but in the grand scheme it's insignificant):
      R
      $30K for the car (after trade-in price with the 24v) $6K for the STG 3+ kit = $36K for a 450+/- DD.

2 cars
      $26K for the TDI, Sell 24v buy LS1 ~$3K, $5K for heads/cam/boltons/tune = $34K for 2 cars, 2xInsurance, 2xRegistration/Inspection..
      Boosting the 24v will cost about as much as the Loss-in-trade and build of the LS1.

So right now both seem like pretty viable options to me, IF the R can have ~450AWHP without diggin into the internals..

Thanks in advance for any factual information regarding differences between the 2.0T in the R and the TSI.
      2002.5 Jetta 1.8T - TOTALED (dodging deer)
      2002.5 24v GTI - TOTALED (rear-ended by a Jeep)
      1992 Corrado SLC - Dead. Will be back.. stronger.
      2012 Golf R - Daily Driver Status

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 V50 T5 AWD (sold), Black Golf R
      11-23-2011 01:10 PM #2
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-in-the-Golf-R

scroll through that thread, there is an official vw release included as a picture near the bottom with the tech info on the new engine

reinforced block
      enlarged wrist pins
      stronger con rods

but go take a look!

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      11-23-2011 01:51 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by GTIVRon View Post
      Does anybody know if there is a difference between the R and the TSI GTI's internals?

Running into a dilema of owning one car (Golf R) or two (TDI along with either turboing my 24v, or selling it and buying an LS1 powered chevy).

Either way, I want to end up with 450+whp. Easily achieved with the LS1 with heads/cam (along with supporting mods) and a tune. However with the TSI I'd need to do something like the STG 3+ APR turbo, along with internals. If the R comes with stronger rods then I'm guessing the STG 3+ kit alone would hit my mark.

I'm figuring (very rough numbers, but in the grand scheme it's insignificant):
      R
      $30K for the car (after trade-in price with the 24v) $6K for the STG 3+ kit = $36K for a 450+/- DD.

2 cars
      $26K for the TDI, Sell 24v buy LS1 ~$3K, $5K for heads/cam/boltons/tune = $34K for 2 cars, 2xInsurance, 2xRegistration/Inspection..
      Boosting the 24v will cost about as much as the Loss-in-trade and build of the LS1.

So right now both seem like pretty viable options to me, IF the R can have ~450AWHP without diggin into the internals..

Thanks in advance for any factual information regarding differences between the 2.0T in the R and the TSI.
      Not sure where you are getting the 450whp numbers for the stage 3. The stage 3 that APR has available for the R only hits something like 410 at the crank. Stage 3+ hasn't been released yet. 450whp is like 515+/- @ the crank. Pretty sure internals would be needed for a DD in the long run. Any reason you need a 450whp golf R? That would be insane. My stage 3+ GTI scares me plenty, and thats only 360 crank hp.

Vehicles
      92 Corrado SLC, '12 Golf R
      11-23-2011 03:28 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by R201UP View Post
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-in-the-Golf-R

scroll through that thread, there is an official vw release included as a picture near the bottom with the tech info on the new engine

reinforced block
      enlarged wrist pins
      stronger con rods

but go take a look!
      Thanks! Will do some reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdusn View Post
      Not sure where you are getting the 450whp numbers for the stage 3. The stage 3 that APR has available for the R only hits something like 410 at the crank. Stage 3+ hasn't been released yet. 450whp is like 515+/- @ the crank.
      Stage 3+ is out for the TSI engine, and with north of 500hp at the crank. I'm sure their 3+ kit will be out be the time the car is delivered, nevermind by the time I could buy the kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdusn View Post
      Any reason you need a 450whp golf R? That would be insane. My stage 3+ GTI scares me plenty, and thats only 360 crank hp.
      I'm 25 and single. I very much enjoy sports cars. I really like VW, which is why I won't go out and buy a brand new 500hp Mustang.
      Your GTI is FWD, losing steering control at 80MPH+ every time you lay on the throttle would scare me too.
      2002.5 Jetta 1.8T - TOTALED (dodging deer)
      2002.5 24v GTI - TOTALED (rear-ended by a Jeep)
      1992 Corrado SLC - Dead. Will be back.. stronger.
      2012 Golf R - Daily Driver Status