VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Integrated Engineering's "Project 2.5L Engine Dyno" Build Up Thread

111K views 418 replies 79 participants last post by  Cherb32 
#1 ·
Hi guys! While we have some engine parts already available for the 2.5L, we are about to really get kicking on a *bunch* more. Since many of these parts will require power testing, we will be setting up a 2.5L on our in house Superflow 902 engine dyno. I'll be chronicling that build as well as the coming engine build & parts development all in this thread.

IE engine dyno.... this big power 1.8T is about to get shelved to make way for a 2.5L I5

Currently the plan (as of today) is to get this stock '09 2.5L we have mounted up. And that means getting off the top shelf!

Pete running the official IE engine lift

This is the new 2.5L I5 power plant for the engine dyno, this guy is going to see A LOT of cool stuff in the future.

We have decided to run totally stock accessories and go from there- so that means figuring out how to hold the dang motor into our ~ longitudinal dyno setup without any motor mounts coming in from the "sides" as traditional- so the fun starts.

As any good part, mock up starts with paper

The final engine mount solution drawn up and ready for prototype

If it does not work, looks like it could make a good kitchen counter decoration :laugh:

We also need to adapt our bellhousing, starter, and throwout bearing etc. I will cover that stuff here just for kicks. Then we will be wiring it up on AEM's new standalone ECU, which will give us fast, consistent control over the engine. Then the testing will commence, starting with tuning the stock 2.5L on pump fuel (91 for us) and working up from there. Somewhere in the middle we anticipate building the motor to turbo spec, and the R&D will continue.

We will also give you updates on other 2.5 projects not necessarily for the engine dyno, anyone guess what we are working on here?

So, hopefully I won't bore you guys to death and you will stay tuned :) You will have to understand however that some of these products take literally seasons to develop from idea to shelf part- hell we have some that the development time is over a year! So, don't get too crazy on me if the updates on a particular part aren't ultra frequent. :thumbup:

See less See more
#160 ·
Guess I shoulda phrased that differently. I havent seen many aftermarket intake manis that were cast. Usually theyre welded together. Ive seen plenty of stock manifolds that are cast tho.

#161 ·
Oh ya- well, the price of admission is a lot higher, and so is the level of engineering / testing / prototyping required to get a decent casting done. However, it lets you build shapes and such that are not possible with welding unless you are talking about welding together very expensive billet parts (3d contouring work, etc).

Here's the 1.8T one we are releasing in about a week...

Very excited to be working on the 5 cylinder one... Especially because it does not have to be modular haha- what a pain in the butt that was. :laugh:

#179 ·
Anybody see the 2.5L prototype manifold at Bluewater's booth? We also had some parts (runners) in our booth...

Anyways, Derek- the test mule is running on Vi-pec standalone which gives us total freedom to do whatever we need to do, quickly... When we get down to production parts though we will work with one or more popular vendors to have a tune available for it. :thumbup:

#182 ·
Thanks for the reply Pete, I hope you guys go with C2. Their soon to be released flash loader makes them the only real option for me.

Edit: also, i am running a header (EJ) and wouldn't mind helping you out with whatever i can. However i am like a million miles away from you. So you will have to send me the manifold for testing :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.