Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Integrated Engineering's "Project 2.5L Engine Dyno" Build Up Thread

Vehicles
      06 Sage Green Rabbit | 03 Passat V6 4-Motion sedan
      03-20-2012 09:49 PM #101
      Cannot wait to see the end results, you guys rock!
      http://s529.photobucket.com/albums/d...abbit%20build/
      06 Sage Green Rabbit 5spd| UM SRI | UM 93 SRI tune | NLS Cai | Custom exhaust | USP testpipe | ECS crank pulley | BSH mounts |034 Dogbone core| NLS SS w/42DD bushings | GTI brake swap | Jom coilovers w/034 strut mounts | GTI rear sway |

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '09 Jetta 2.5
      03-20-2012 09:50 PM #102
      Very cool. what do you have for exhaust on video it's very loud, is it just like a straight pipe and 1 muffler?

So did the engine dyno 170hp exactly like VW claims?

Vehicles
      2014 Ford FiST, 2001 Audi A4 1.8t QT
      03-20-2012 09:51 PM #103

4. Forum Sponsor pete@integrated's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '92 Gti 20v, '96 M3, '10 Shop Van :)
      03-21-2012 12:33 PM #104
      Our dyno has 2 x 4 foot long, 5" mufflers and a 5" stack out the building. Before that, we had a 3" straight through magnaflow, about 3 feet long. That stuff is all left overs from our previous testing of 800+ bhp turbo engines, they don't want any backpressure.

Currently, we're just messing around trying to get the VVT working. It made 170bhp / 195 ft-lb with out much drama, but didn't want to go a whole lot past there. We are going to play with the backpressure next, I intend to dream up some sort of mechanism where it can be adjusted- short of changing mufflers / pipe sizes.

Top end power is really, really bad- I'm excited to rectify that, it'll make it a lot easier to setup the dyno as well. You tell just from the exhaust note that it's got nothing up top.

I've got a few prototype parts that should wake it up significantly
      .:IntEngineering.com:. .:Facebook:.

Check out some cutting edge R&D Work on our blog! IE Behind the scenes Blog!

5. 03-21-2012 12:51 PM #105
      Wouldn't a simple butterfly valve serve your purpose in adjusting the back pressure?

Vehicles
      08' Rabbit (Lifted), 07' Rabbit (not Lifted... Yet), 93 Audi 100s, 97 zx6r (Fighter Project)
      03-21-2012 01:25 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by DerekH View Post
      Wouldn't a simple butterfly valve serve your purpose in adjusting the back pressure?
      But then how would that show who is right, 2.5" making more power than 3". hahaha

This is awesome. I cant wait to see what all you guys do with this.

Vehicles
      2014 Ford FiST, 2001 Audi A4 1.8t QT
      03-21-2012 01:36 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by mldouthi View Post
      But then how would that show who is right, 2.5" making more power than 3". hahaha

Vehicles
      13 TR GLI DSG; 13 UG Passat 2.5L; 07 CW Rabbit 2.5L
      03-21-2012 01:43 PM #108
      Most butterfly valves will need better (Viton) seals (or remove them if you don't need full shutoff) if going over 400°F

I had the best performance out of this manufacturer, 300:1 turn down.
      http://www.valvesolutions.com/pdf/Series2000.pdf
      http://www.valvesolutions.com/pdf/SeriesV.pdf

Would be a good idea to get the back pressure readings across the valve while you're at it.
      His: 13 MK6 TR GLI Autobahn, 2.0T EA888g2, DSG (40k): 18" RML Snowflakes w/ Hankooks
      Hers: 13 B7 UG Passat 4dr, 2.5L Tiptronic (30k): LED interior, SS Pedals
      Daughter's: 07 MK5 CW 4dr,2.5L std (121k): 18" Bathurst w/ P-Zero's, K&N airfilter

9. Forum Sponsor pete@integrated's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-21-2012 06:02 PM #109
      We don't need anything nearly that complicated because it never needs to seal. Think more along the lines of a throttle body.

Vehicles
      84 VW Rabbit GTI, 84 VW Jetta Coupe
      04-09-2012 01:43 AM #110
      Any updates?

11. Forum Sponsor pete@integrated's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-10-2012 02:37 PM #111
      Yep- we are up and running now- testing parts. I'll post a video or two this week hopefully. It's already picked up a good 40 horse or so, still on the factory exhaust manifold etc. We will be working on tuning runner lengths and such for a while now trying to get the optimum balance of torque / driveabilty and top end power.

Now we are working on solving the belt issues- first pull we did to 8k kicked the outer belt. We do not like to remove dampers so the solution we come up with will maintain the factory damper.

Vehicles
      08' Rabbit (Lifted), 07' Rabbit (not Lifted... Yet), 93 Audi 100s, 97 zx6r (Fighter Project)
      04-10-2012 02:53 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by pete@integrated View Post
      Yep- we are up and running now- testing parts. I'll post a video or two this week hopefully. It's already picked up a good 40 horse or so, still on the factory exhaust manifold etc. We will be working on tuning runner lengths and such for a while now trying to get the optimum balance of torque / driveabilty and top end power.

Now we are working on solving the belt issues- first pull we did to 8k kicked the outer belt. We do not like to remove dampers so the solution we come up with will maintain the factory damper.

40hp is an impressive gain, So that is just in a tune?

Looking forward to the videos!

13. Forum Sponsor pete@integrated's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-10-2012 06:50 PM #113
      Nope, the tune we didn't get much- about 10hp and a decent amount of torque. Go figure- those chip tuners aren't holding out on you guys...

We are also on crappy 91 octane up here, so we can't get as aggressive with the timing as 93 octane files. The 40hp was on top of that- an intake manifold. Still tons of work to do there though. First we need the belts to stay on the damn thing.

14. 04-10-2012 06:56 PM #114

I'll be following your progress closely, really looking forward to putting the 2.5 in my track car!

Vehicles
      04-10-2012 07:20 PM #115
      Nope, the tune we didn't get much- about 10hp and a decent amount of torque. Go figure- those chip tuners aren't holding out on you guys...

We are also on crappy 91 octane up here, so we can't get as aggressive with the timing as 93 octane files. The 40hp was on top of that- an intake manifold. Still tons of work to do there though. First we need the belts to stay on the damn thing.

Ahh,

I wonder what is up with the belts. I think BW was getting up in that rpm range without problems, well that they mentioned

16. 04-10-2012 08:05 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by mldouthi View Post
      Ahh,

I wonder what is up with the belts. I think BW was getting up in that rpm range without problems, well that they mentioned
      Pretty sure they are running an under drive pulley.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      '09 Jetta 2.5
      04-10-2012 08:27 PM #117
      Man it'd be cool if you guys find a tune or right parts to allow reving to 8k rpm wether it would need bigger injectors or not. Man reving that high and still producing power is amazing and our engines would sound great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Forum Sponsor pete@integrated's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-10-2012 10:18 PM #118
      Pretty sure they are running an under drive pulley.
      Yep- while I could easily manufacture those- we are looking for a proper fix. Typically what we do on race engines is run a proper damper on the crank and underdrive anything we want underdriven at the accessory instead. In addition to deleting the damper, in this case you are also underdriving the water pump- which is not a good thing.

We are still running the basically open exhaust too- it'll be interesting to see if it picks up anything with some backpressure. Tons of work to do from here....

19. 04-11-2012 12:39 AM #119
      Yep- while I could easily manufacture those- we are looking for a proper fix. Typically what we do on race engines is run a proper damper on the crank and underdrive anything we want underdriven at the accessory instead. In addition to deleting the damper, in this case you are also underdriving the water pump- which is not a good thing.

We are still running the basically open exhaust too- it'll be interesting to see if it picks up anything with some backpressure. Tons of work to do from here....
      Agreed, a far less than ideal solution, but a solution none the less. Looking forward to seeing the way you deal with the issue. You guys have a great group of creative thinkers, so it aught be good.

Vehicles
      '08 2.5Turbo Rabbit
      04-11-2012 01:11 AM #120
      why not manufacture an ac delete with a larger stepped lip that holds it in it's channel???

or somehow find a place mount up another tensioner that isn't spring operated? something like a threaded rod that forces more pressure...

and as far as the water pump with the underdrive? that is the ONLY reason i've never purchased one. i have always worried about that. and the issue with the alternator being underdriven... that could potentially cause a battery to lose life quicker than if it were getting the correct amount of juice
      god i love my car. it may not be fast, but it's crazy fun!

C2 stage 2 TURBO!!! ACHTUNG!!! 2.5liter 5cylinder contents under pressure!!!

21. Forum Sponsor pete@integrated's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-26-2012 11:17 AM #121
      We're talking about doing an AC delete- but the problem with the outer belt is the tensioner, not really the lack of flanges on the pulleys. There is a harmonic issue with the tensioner that starts right at about 7800- it goes from completely stable to bouncing around like mad.

Looking for a fix right now, I would like to keep it self adjusting / tensioning but we'll have to see. The OE tensioners are not that easy to build as they are basically a clock spring, wound up in a special fixture and welded in place.

We'll get it figured out and move along.

Vehicles
      2005.5/08 Jetta 2.5T
      04-26-2012 11:34 AM #122
      when are you guys going to tease us with some vids or dyno sheets
      United Motorsports 2.5T

Vehicles
      04-26-2012 12:02 PM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by pennsydubbin View Post
      when are you guys going to tease us with some vids or dyno sheets
      or not tease us with parts

Like the ones you didnt want to share the cam info for

Oh and what are those red things you posted on facebook??? For and 2.5L?

24. Forum Sponsor pete@integrated's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-26-2012 04:29 PM #124
      Those are runner extensions for a modular development mule intake manifold... The production piece will be one piece of course.

We have peak power at 7500 right now, just tweaking the powerband and of course trying to fine tune it in some more.

I have some really cool stuff coming in the next day or two and I expect within a month or two to have that thing well over 250 bhp all motor on stock ports and bottom end.

Another thing that's becoming clear is that no header that hooks up to the stock downpipe or anywhere near it is going to do a damn thing.

Vehicles
      04-26-2012 05:28 PM #125
      Those are runner extensions for a modular development mule intake manifold... The production piece will be one piece of course.

We have peak power at 7500 right now, just tweaking the powerband and of course trying to fine tune it in some more.

I have some really cool stuff coming in the next day or two and I expect within a month or two to have that thing well over 250 bhp all motor on stock ports and bottom end.

Another thing that's becoming clear is that no header that hooks up to the stock downpipe or anywhere near it is going to do a damn thing.

So REALLY LONG tube headers. I dont mind a little modification.

I cant wait to see what you guys come up with.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast