Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Propane Generator - Distance from Propane Tank?

1. 11-25-2011 02:55 PM #1
      Hi - I'm in the process of having a propane generator installed, and am trying to figure out where I want the generator and the propane tank. Does anyone know if the two items need to be a certain distance apart from each other, and if so, why? The generator is a Generac 20kw standby and the propane tank is 100 gallons.

Thanks.

11-25-2011 03:12 PM #2
      The further from the tank the larger the piping needs to be. I have a 20KW Kohler that runs on NG, but I've investigated dual-fuel.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

3. 11-25-2011 03:26 PM #3
      Thanks - now that I think about it, the specs on the generator does say natural gas/propane.

Is there a required distance that the two should be from each other, or is it just preference?

11-25-2011 03:37 PM #4
      In the electrical industry you are supposed to provide 4 feet of clearance to safely work on equipment. A bigger concern is how far the exhaust is from any windows in the house.

I don't know if NG and propane are an either/or situation. I believe they require different size jets.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

5. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 IDI Golf, 332K Miles.
      11-25-2011 09:35 PM #5
      Here are a couple of indefinitive answers. You might also ask your building inspector and fire marshall. If they don't know, ask what is needed for a furnace; also electrical in nature. One reply on one of the sites was that the NEC is silent on this. A possible reason for that is because you have the potential for a propane leak at the generator as well as at the tank so it may be a moot question.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Electrica...nerator-11.htm

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=129641
      Last edited by Tinker Toy; 11-26-2011 at 01:09 AM.

6. 11-25-2011 11:51 PM #6
      Thank you. I spoke to the propane company today and they said the tank should be 10 feet from the generator, but based on the limited info I found online and the links you provided, it sounds like that the 10 feet may only be a personal request from them rather than code? I hope this is the case because if it had to be 10 feet apart, I am very limited in my options based on the size/shape of my backyard and placement of my deck.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 IDI Golf, 332K Miles.
      11-26-2011 01:11 AM #7
      Sorry about the links not working. I hope that they work now.