Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: The Fox's trailer

Vehicles
      88 VW Fox GL (white), 89 VW Fox GL (red), 88 Pontiac Fiero Formula
      11-29-2011 09:03 AM #1
      Haven't posted much recently but it's due to some rough times at the moment.

I've had this car for 6 years and this happened to me Thanksgiving morning. Made the other car look really ugly too but, fortunately everyone was alright. Unfortunately, the bumpers hooked and made a mess of both cars. The whole front end shifted on her but she still drives (crookedly). I had just recently fixed the rear strut tower and had such big plans for her, but now I'm at a loss for words. I can't bring it to myself to let her go. A friend of mine saw this and had a great suggestion.

It's the only way I can keep her from the crusher (well, most of her). So now, being my only option, I will turn her into a trailer. I need to do a body swap first with my other one so I'll keep you guys posted. The other one will be done by Friday. Then...
      Quote Originally Posted by Longitudinal View Post
      But please feel free to continue trying to make it sound as technical and in-depth as possible. I'm hungry. I am going to go custom fabricate a sandwich.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '89 Fox Coupe, '04 Jetta GLS Wagon TDi, '88 Fox GL Wagon (project)
      11-29-2011 10:21 AM #2
      ah, I am sorry to hear of such sad news. still having your life is something to be thankful for at least.

looks like you are making the best of the situation - look forward to seeing this project progress.

best
      cp

Vehicles
      '87 VW Fox wagon turbo, 2013 Fiesta
      11-29-2011 10:50 AM #3
      Oh, man. Glad you're okay. That's a good idea, and nice way to save some of it.
      Not red, not blue- red, white, and blue

Vehicles
      12-24-2011 06:54 AM #4
      Thanks Foxers. Much appreciated.

I finally got my red one running. At the moment it has about 20% braking capacity, needs an alignment and has a broken shifter housing (or whatever that box thing is that hols the shifter). I also moved the white one to my buddy's house where we can start trimming her. I'm procrastinating my @$$ off to starting the project but I'm going to have to start doing it right after the holidays. I'll keep you guys posted and take as many pictures as possible.

Happy Holidays.
      But please feel free to continue trying to make it sound as technical and in-depth as possible. I'm hungry. I am going to go custom fabricate a sandwich.

Vehicles
      1993 Vw Fox,2007 Jetta Fahrenheit
      12-28-2011 03:57 AM #5
      Nice idea. Good luck with the project

Vehicles
      12-30-2011 12:26 AM #6
      Thanks.

It's been fairly nice weather the past few days but I haven't been able to work on it around my work schedule, especially since everyone tends to wait til the last minute to "winterize" their car . I might actually start on it Sunday or Monday depending on my schedule...

Vehicles
      01-08-2012 07:44 AM #7
      Update:
      Finally found some time to work on the project a little bit. It took my clutch blowing up in my red one to finally get me to do it. Ended up spending the New year's celebration at a gas station.

So I managed to get all but one bolt loose in an hour

took me 2 more days to bust through that one without a torch. It was, literally, holding everything in even with the whole front end lifted off the ground.

Dropping her on the ground has stirred up a great fascination in lowering my red one...

I can't remember who mentioned to use a lug nut to take these trans plugs out but thanks for saving me a trip

A quick side note: I had mentioned a while back that I had a shifter bushing setup that work better than new but the washer I had as a bushing had worn down. So here's a newer/more reliable setup. Pardon the jimmy rigging

I had to do a little bit of hammering but I'm sure it will work wonders for the slack that was in it before. I used an m14x1.5 lug nut to fit the gap and spark plug boots for the other holes.
      I'll be back soon with some pictures of me beginning the amputation and some detailed pics of taking the complete engine/trans/subframe out when I Get my red Fox back on the road.

Vehicles
      01-30-2012 12:08 AM #8
      The weather finally cleared and I managed to get my red one back on all fours.

Started cutting the white one but didn't get too far since it snowed again.
      More pics soon.

Vehicles
      1993 Vw Fox,2007 Jetta Fahrenheit
      01-30-2012 12:32 AM #9
      Good luck with the project. Good to at least keep one on the road.

Vehicles
      1990 VW Fox, 1998 Chevy S10 Ext. Cab, 2002 Chevy Silverado
      01-30-2012 01:04 AM #10
      I'd like to see pic's when you finish your Fox Trailer. Sounds like a cool project!

Vehicles
      02-01-2012 02:43 AM #11
      Thanks guys. Sorry for the slow progress.
      I'm trying to get a hold of a plasma cutter or something more efficient than sawzall blades but, with this nice weather, I should have more pics up soon.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      90 fox, 85 gli
      02-01-2012 03:55 AM #12
      Have you ever seen that Dual Saw infomercial?
      I really suck at smog.

Vehicles
      02-26-2012 06:02 AM #13
      Very slow progress due to weather conditions here in IL.
      I've got most of the front end apart...

I'm taking apart the front end so I can attempt to keep mot of the firewall and some spare parts...

Vehicles
      02-26-2012 06:04 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by ziddey View Post
      Have you ever seen that Dual Saw infomercial?
      That sounds like a fantastic idea right about now.

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 08:38 PM #15
      Sorry for the wait, guys. I've been dealing with hell lately trying to get this project done and my Fiero project moved all while getting kicked out of the house. I have goo news though...

Most of the cutting is finished. And I've been able to find a good use for some of the old parts...

More updates as soon as I can figure out my living situation.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      1965 Beetle, 1987 Triple White, 1988 cabriolet, 1993 2dr Fox gl, 1999 Jetta GL
      05-01-2012 09:07 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by InfernoFox View Post
      Sorry for the wait, guys. I've been dealing with hell lately trying to get this project done and my Fiero project moved all while getting kicked out of the house. I have goo news though...

Most of the cutting is finished. And I've been able to find a good use for some of the old parts...

More updates as soon as I can figure out my living situation.
      Nice dog !!