VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Hunger Games

Vehicles
      '93 Corrado, '07 Mazda 3 CSV
      11-29-2011 01:27 PM #1

Looks incredibly good.
      Quote Originally Posted by ktk View Post
      Car enthusiast: One who harbors an inexplicable fascination with a relatively mundane mechanical device that goes beyond appreciation of its intended purpose and basic functionality, in some cases bordering on obsession.

11-29-2011 01:38 PM #2
      the books are amazing
      Oh, Hai IG: @bethisloco

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      11-29-2011 01:58 PM #3
      I read the books after my wife finished them... Not the best reading, but they were entertaining. Hopefully the movies are good and not geared towards the Twitards.

4. 11-29-2011 05:58 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by mk2eurogirl View Post
      the books are amazing

Very fun reads

Vehicles
      Twelve Valves of Fury
      11-30-2011 05:11 AM #5
      Is this like a new tween series to replace that crap called Twilight? That's what I got from this trailer. I'm serious. Also, I swear I've already seen this concept in a Japanese movie about 10 years ago, can't remember the name though. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      11-30-2011 05:47 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6inAZ View Post
      Is this like a new tween series to replace that crap called Twilight? That's what I got from this trailer. I'm serious. Also, I swear I've already seen this concept in a Japanese movie about 10 years ago, can't remember the name though. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
      Read the books and judge for yourself?

I've never seen/read any Twilight stuff... This series is pretty violent and visceral, with much of it being downright depressing in the later books.

It's taking place in a post-apocalyptic world where the ruling district demands that the other districts sacrifice their children every year. I don't know if you could turn it into Twilight...

Vehicles
      '99 Cabrio, '05 S2000
      11-30-2011 06:44 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6inAZ View Post
      Battle Royale
      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266308/
      Quote Originally Posted by alleghenyman
      Let's just say I like my women like I like my cars - fast, cheap, kinda ugly and beaten up, unreliable, dangerous, unwanted....
      4 coilpacks, 2 gearboxes and counting...

8. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      11-30-2011 08:20 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      I don't know if you could turn it into Twilight...
      Let's hope not. I didn't get Twilight from the preview.

I really need to read the books.
      Last edited by FlashRedGLS1.8T; 11-30-2011 at 08:22 AM.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      11-30-2011 08:50 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by WhitePoloCT View Post

There's a lot more going on in the Hunger Games series than what I read in the synopsis/story line for the above movie.

Vehicles
      '99 Cabrio, '05 S2000
      11-30-2011 10:20 AM #10
      There's a lot more going on in the Hunger Games series than what I read in the synopsis/story line for the above movie.
      It's still the concept that is similar between the two movies.
      Quote Originally Posted by alleghenyman
      Let's just say I like my women like I like my cars - fast, cheap, kinda ugly and beaten up, unreliable, dangerous, unwanted....
      4 coilpacks, 2 gearboxes and counting...

Vehicles
      JB4 335xi, Prius
      01-13-2012 02:46 PM #11
      I read the book this morning. Good reading. I think the book was a mix of Harry Potter Goblet of Fire and Maximus. I hope it doesn't turn into twilight. Looking forward to the movie and reading the next 2 books.
      Quote Originally Posted by Internal Combustion View Post
      I do believe I've won TCL.
      I quote myself.

335- 12.2@115

Vehicles
      6.6L Duramax, 235 Thriftmaster, 2.0 Boxer
      01-13-2012 02:51 PM #12
      I enjoyed the books but have a feeling the movies are going to be more Twilight than Battle Royale/Running Man, we'll see.
      Of course it's company policy never to, imply ownership in the event of a dildo... always use the indefinite article a dildo, never your dildo.

13. 01-13-2012 04:06 PM #13
      It's taking place in a post-apocalyptic world where the ruling district demands that the other districts sacrifice their children every year. I don't know if you could turn it into Twilight...
      Uhh...I'd say they will easily turn this into Twilight if they don't focus on violence and instead focus on the relationships.

Without giving stuff away...

Strong female lead, torn between two very different guys.
      Its been polled as the most anticipated movies of the year amongst its competition (which was listed as Twilight)
      The books are classified as 'Young Adult' fiction...just like Twilight...so same target audience right from the get go. If you've read all 3, you can easily see how the ending of the trilogy fits the genre perfectly.
      Hell, had Twilight not been made, you could virtually lift the cast of that movie and plunk it into the Hunger Games.

They were entertaining, easy reads. I remember reading them and thinking...'they've got to make these into a movie.' I truly hope they don't go the Twilight route, but won't be surprised at all if they do. So far I've been happy with the casting. IIRC, Woody Harrelson is Haymitch and Donald Sutherland is President Snow. The rest are teens I've never heard of but seem to fit the visuals you get while reading.

Vehicles
      Bmp 20th
      01-16-2012 03:57 AM #14
      I cannot WAIT for this movie... I just REALLy hope they do it right and make it violent and dark instead of a mushy love story.

The only casting I don't like is Woody Harrelson as Haymitch... Doesn't seem like a good fit to me.

Vehicles
      2014 F56 S, 2013 R55 JCW
      01-16-2012 09:54 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by 20thgirl#1499 View Post
      I cannot WAIT for this movie... I just REALLy hope they do it right and make it violent and dark instead of a mushy love story.

The only casting I don't like is Woody Harrelson as Haymitch... Doesn't seem like a good fit to me.
      Woody's going to make a great drunkard mentor. I would have cast Tucci as Cinna instead of Flickerman. Sutherland is going to make a great Snow. glad they didn't cast Emma Stone as "Catnip" Katniss or Channing Tatum as Peeta, Willow Smith as Rue.

rant/
      The Twilight comparisons are getting old, she doesn't even see Gale as a love interest or possible love interest until the end of the first book, Gale is not a vampire, Peeta is not a werewolf, they don't have teen-angst emotional outbreaks, there is no forbidden love triangle, also Collins didn't used the phrase "with pursed lips" every 2 paragraphs like Meyer did. /rant.

Also glad to see the same director (Gary Ross) has signed on to do Catching Fire.

Wish this movie was rated R, going to be interesting to see how much of the actual Hunger games gets censored with a PG-13
      Last edited by theBOYER; 01-17-2012 at 07:49 PM.
      ...remember, short controlled bursts

Steam VTMTK_Vendetta
      Origin: VTMTK_Vendetta
      Youtube: InsertCoinToBegin

Vehicles
      Bmp 20th
      01-17-2012 01:40 PM #16
      I absolutely LOVE Stanley Tucci... I think he would have made a GREAT Cinna. However, I am pretty happy with Lenny Kravitz as Cinna. It just seems like a right fit.

I do agree that Donald Sutherland will be perfect as Snow... But still not convinced of Harrelson as Haymitch... Sure he can play a great drunkard, but it just doesn't feel like a good match to me...

I'm also disappointed that its pg13... I'd like it to be as violent and jaded as the books.

Vehicles
      2014 F56 S, 2013 R55 JCW
      01-17-2012 02:58 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by 20thgirl#1499 View Post
      I absolutely LOVE Stanley Tucci... I think he would have made a GREAT Cinna. However, I am pretty happy with Lenny Kravitz as Cinna. It just seems like a right fit.

I do agree that Donald Sutherland will be perfect as Snow... But still not convinced of Harrelson as Haymitch... Sure he can play a great drunkard, but it just doesn't feel like a good match to me...

I'm also disappointed that its pg13... I'd like it to be as violent and jaded as the books.
      Don't forget the excessive nudity through out the series.

Steam VTMTK_Vendetta

01-17-2012 04:30 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by theBOYER View Post
      Woody's going to make a great drunkard mentor. I would have case Tucci as Cinna instead of Flickerman. Sutherland is going to make a great Snow. glad they didn't cast Emma Stone as "Catnip" Katniss or Channing Tatum as Peeta, Willow Smith as Rue.

rant/
      The Twilight comparisons are getting old, she doesn't even see Gale as a love interest or possible love interest until the end of the first book, Gale is not a vampire, Peeta is not a werewolf, they don't have teen-angst emotional outbreaks, there is no forbidden love triangle, also Collins didn't used the phrase "with pursed lips" every 2 paragraphs like Meyer did. /rant.

Also glad to see the same director (Gary Ross) has signed on to do Catching Fire.

Wish this movie was rated R, going to be interesting to see how much of the actual Hunger games gets censored with a PG-13
      Twilight comparisons are more of just the type of audience the movie(s) will likely be targeted towards.

Vehicles
      82 Rabbit 1.8L, 84 Rabbit GTI 20vBT Swap, 86 Audi 4000Q, 96 Audi A4Q V6, 02 Audi A4 1.8T
      01-17-2012 08:02 PM #19
      You embedded link isnt working anymore.

And yes it does look quite good.
      What is something you learned last year that you are going to do differently this year?

Vehicles
      2014 F56 S, 2013 R55 JCW
      01-17-2012 10:25 PM #20

Article from the LATimes about Harrelson's "Haymitch"

Quote Originally Posted by LA Times by – Geoff Boucher
      Ask a fan of “The Hunger Games” to describe the character of Haymitch and they usually start with the words “alcoholic” or “drunk.” That actually presented a challenge to Woody Harrelson, who said he didn’t want to slip into “Barfly” cliches with his portrayal of Haymitch Abernathy in the upcoming Hollywood adaptation of the Suzanne Collins sci-fi novel.

“He’s got a drinking problem and he’s got some issues and he’s damaged, but I didn’t want to do it totally like your typical version of an alcoholic in a movie,” Harrelson said Monday. “So I tried to keep him a little put-together. I dressed him up from what you would expect, too. That was one of my things I wanted – to make him, particularly in the Capitol, a bit of a snazzy dresser — or at least a dresser with his own style.”

In the grim future world of “The Hunger Games,” Haymitch is the sour and besotted mentor to Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) and Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson), two young people who must fight to the death in a televised, government-sponsored tournament of blood. Haymitch is a former champion in the contest but, in the years since his victory, his demons have chased him into the bottom of a bottle.

Cynical and slippery, the character is a fan-favorite among readers but those fans will see a slightly different Haymitch on the silver screen when the Gary Ross-directed adaptation arrives in theaters on March 23.

In the books, for instance, Haymitch is described as a paunchy, gone-to-seed middle-aged man with short, dark, curly hair, but Harrelson’s version looks more like Kurt Cobain’s fashion-conscious uncle. For the 50-year-old Harrelson, meanwhile, the Haymitch character might deliver a career-first; despite this era of ubiquitous sequels, the actor has never played the same character in two films. That will change if all goes as Lionsgate hopes and a four-film franchise can be made out of the three “Hunger Games” novels.

Harrelson said there’s plenty on the page for the films to mine.

‘Hunger Games’: Woody Harrelson on Haymitch and film’s ‘mind-blowing’ sets
      Jan. 10, 2012 | 10:47 a.m.

Woody Harrelson at AFI Fest in Los Angeles (Christopher Polk/Getty Images)

Ask a fan of “The Hunger Games” to describe the character of Haymitch and they usually start with the words “alcoholic” or “drunk.” That actually presented a challenge to Woody Harrelson, who said he didn’t want to slip into “Barfly” cliches with his portrayal of Haymitch Abernathy in the upcoming Hollywood adaptation of the Suzanne Collins sci-fi novel.

“He’s got a drinking problem and he’s got some issues and he’s damaged, but I didn’t want to do it totally like your typical version of an alcoholic in a movie,” Harrelson said Monday. “So I tried to keep him a little put-together. I dressed him up from what you would expect, too. That was one of my things I wanted – to make him, particularly in the Capitol, a bit of a snazzy dresser — or at least a dresser with his own style.”

In the grim future world of “The Hunger Games,” Haymitch is the sour and besotted mentor to Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) and Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson), two young people who must fight to the death in a televised, government-sponsored tournament of blood. Haymitch is a former champion in the contest but, in the years since his victory, his demons have chased him into the bottom of a bottle.

Lenny Kravitz portrays Cinna, Woody Harrelson portrays Haymitch Abernathy and Josh Hutcherson portrays Peeta Mellark in a scene from "The Hunger Games." (Lionsgate)

Cynical and slippery, the character is a fan-favorite among readers but those fans will see a slightly different Haymitch on the silver screen when the Gary Ross-directed adaptation arrives in theaters on March 23.

In the books, for instance, Haymitch is described as a paunchy, gone-to-seed middle-aged man with short, dark, curly hair, but Harrelson’s version looks more like Kurt Cobain’s fashion-conscious uncle. For the 50-year-old Harrelson, meanwhile, the Haymitch character might deliver a career-first; despite this era of ubiquitous sequels, the actor has never played the same character in two films. That will change if all goes as Lionsgate hopes and a four-film franchise can be made out of the three “Hunger Games” novels.

Harrelson said there’s plenty on the page for the films to mine.

“It’s good writing and it just keeps you on the edge,” Harrelson said. “And making [the movie] was a fun experience with just really cool people. I was really impressed by everybody that was associated with it. The look of everything is amazing too. The wardrobe is incredible and the makeup, the [stuff] they came up with is mind-blowing. The imagination behind the hair and the makeup and set decoration, it was just really impressive. It’s the work of brilliant people.”

Harrelson lives in Hawaii but was back in Los Angeles on Monday to do publicity for his new film “Rampart” and also a bit of ADR work for “The Hunger Games.”

“I only saw one scene — that’s all they had me in to do, just loop [the sound for] one scene — and that scene looked great,” Harrelson said. “I don’t know how the whole movie is going to turn out but it’s Gary Ross so I’m sure it’s going to turn out great.”
      for the TL/DR crowd.

Harrelson's not going to do an over the top stereotypical drunk.

Steam VTMTK_Vendetta

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      01-17-2012 10:51 PM #21
      Liked the books a lot and the movie casting has been great IMO. Previews so far look good, I'm optimistic.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
      "I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food."
      Ukemafia.com

Vehicles
      2003 VW Gti 20th AE
      01-19-2012 06:27 PM #22
      Half way through the second book, hope the movie can pull it off
      -Matt

Vehicles
      2014 F56 S, 2013 R55 JCW
      01-23-2012 08:29 AM #23
      2 more months.

Steam VTMTK_Vendetta

Vehicles
      '02 Cooper S
      01-23-2012 05:27 PM #24
      I'm almost done with the third book. It's a fun read...but I find myself struggling to get motivation to finish. It feels like a young adult book. Maybe the hype jaded me.

I'm super excited to see the movies though. Sure some scenes could be rated R, but I think they'll get away just fine with pg-13. Besides, they are not going to show nude 17 year olds anyway. The violence shouldn't be anything I haven't seen in a pg-13 movie. I for one welcome Harrelson as Haymitch.
      Don't like something? Report it. We can't be everywhere at all times.

25. 01-23-2012 05:34 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Basscase View Post
      I'm almost done with the third book. It's a fun read...but I find myself struggling to get motivation to finish. It feels like a young adult book. Maybe the hype jaded me.

I'm super excited to see the movies though. Sure some scenes could be rated R, but I think they'll get away just fine with pg-13. Besides, they are not going to show nude 17 year olds anyway. The violence shouldn't be anything I haven't seen in a pg-13 movie. I for one welcome Harrelson as Haymitch.
      It feels like a young adult book because it is one. (not sure if thats what you were getting at).

For the reasons I outlined a few posts up, I still think it'll be this year's twighlight. I genuinely hope it won't be, but its going to be closer than most want to admit. Mark my words, Gale and Peeta will play a huge role in the movies. Only one question remains. Are you team Gale or team Peeta?

That said, I'm still excited to see them. The books were entertaining, the story unique, and the casting seems great. Before starting the books I had heard Phillip Seymour Hoffman was rumored to be Haymitch. When I read the books I kept picturing him, so finding out about Woody Harrelson threw me for a bit...but over all I think he'll be great. He needs to blend his character from Kingpin with the attitude from Zombieland.

Vehicles
      '02 Cooper S
      01-23-2012 05:38 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post
      It feels like a young adult book because it is one. (not sure if thats what you were getting at).
      Yeah, I should have emphasized the feels. I know it is a young adult book, and it feels like one. That's not to diminish the book however, it's really a good read.
      Don't like something? Report it. We can't be everywhere at all times.

Vehicles
      2014 F56 S, 2013 R55 JCW
      01-26-2012 08:42 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by 20thAna3282 View Post
      Half way through the second book, hope the movie can pull it off
      Be ready to immediately read the 3rd book after.

Steam VTMTK_Vendetta

28. 01-26-2012 09:46 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by theBOYER View Post
      Be ready to immediately read the 3rd book after.
      Yeah, the third really was just the second half of Book 2.

Vehicles
      Bmp 20th
      01-31-2012 05:26 AM #29

Vehicles
      2014 F56 S, 2013 R55 JCW
      02-02-2012 07:51 PM #30
      http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer...eature-trailer

new trailer out today, ends with Rue's notes.

Steam VTMTK_Vendetta

Vehicles
      g60...
      02-02-2012 11:13 PM #31
      Alls I know is that some kids at school are flippin out over this...

32. Member
      Vehicles
      A3 Pilot S2K
      03-21-2012 11:35 AM #32
      Movie comes out in 2 days...getting lots of hype and very good (pre) reviews so far!

What's interesting to me living/working in Charlotte is that a lot of this movie was filmed here and in the neighboring small towns and Blue Ridge mountains but it was kept under wraps and totally closed off for public viewing. From what I've read, the cast and crew was living in and around CLT for 4 months last summer and shot a ton of footage in uptown and nobody was aware.

My kids read the series so I decided back in the fall to check it out...just about to finish book #3 before I see it on the big screen w/ my kids this weekend.

33. 03-21-2012 01:13 PM #33
      I loved the books but will wait and buy the DVD. I hate the movie theaters that much.

Vehicles
      1979 rabbit VR6T, 2007 B6 passat 3.6L 4mo wagon (dd)
      03-21-2012 08:58 PM #34
      I too read the books awhile back, and really enjoyed them. I was surprised to learn that this was being marketed as a new teen movie with all the violence in the books, but I won't lie I'll go see it
      DCIVW Eastside

35. 03-22-2012 04:25 AM #35
      I think the book was a mix of Harry Potter Goblet of Fire and Maximus.
      [img]http://www.************/5.jpg[/img]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast