Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sigh...another 16vT!

Vehicles
      84 Rabbit GTi - Lola
      02-01-2012 03:54 PM #51
      Looking good man, that windshield looks real good too...

Fabric dye can work, just need to spray, let set, brush, retreat, repeat.
      Ich meinen VW
      Fender Roller for rent in Eagle Rock/Pasadena/Glendale Area - IM me for details.

02-02-2012 01:36 PM #52
      should i caress it and whisper sweet nothings to it to soften it too, RSZero1?

02-19-2012 01:50 PM #53
      New shoes in...

Gotta find hubcentric rings for it. I don't want the lugnuts to take the load of the wheel.

Finally got the wabbit out of the driveway under its own power. The six puck solid center clutch and heavy duty pressure plate (with a lightened flywheel) coupled with an extremely touchy gas pedal made for interesting times getting out to drive. A number of stalls. Didn't help that the car is untuned.

Anywho, I did my parade lap around the neighborhood block...in 3rd gear! My shift linkage needs to be adjusted. Any tricks? I can only get into reverse, 3rd and 4th. 1st gear only if I detent the shifter just a bit and pushed forward. It's a matter of adjusting, i know.

Wabbit started running on three cylinders again...same cylinder...my guess is the fuel injector again.

Gotta say...felt weird driving the thing. I bought this basically as a shell...and only now, after eleven years is it moving under its own power.

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '13 335is, '85 Golf, '12 48 sportster xl1200
      02-19-2012 06:14 PM #54
      why unsprung clutch if it's a street car? how light of a flywheel?

i don't understand this, my clutch is good for 575hp and pp for 600 ft.lbs...sprung, organic kevlar and ceramic kevlar. 14lb flywheel.perfect.

get rid of the unsprung clutch man

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS:1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG. MKIforLife
      Quote Originally Posted by .Ant View Post
      What vegeta said.

02-19-2012 06:33 PM #55
      Ideally, I'd rather have a sprung clutch. However, back when I bought my clutch and pressure plate (many years ago), I had a hookup for an ACT clutch/pressure plate package....all they had was a solid center setup. Plus...my tranny is a 4k 020....back then, there were not many good clutch packages that could handle higher hp and tq setups, whether it be sprung puck or kevlar.....thus the solid center six puck setup I got.

Lightened flywheel... I have no idea. It came with the parts car I got (again...many moons ago).

02-20-2012 10:02 PM #56
      Today I pulled the clogged injector out. It had some copper-colored metal crap stuck in there. Tried purging it out. Then the fuel injector didn't want to pulse anymore. Took it to BFIC, a local fuel injection/carb place and they tested it. Said it was DOA.

So now I'm looking at getting 60lb high impedance injectors.

In other news....

Finally got the horn working. Was at Harbor Freight and decided to get a Wolo horn...why not? With the momo adapter and detachable wheel hub, something was not connected right for the ground. A little bit of fiddling around, viola! Horn works.

Headlights were an issue too. They weren't turning on. I wired it as per the wiring diagrams on VW. HOWEVER... my EZ wiring fusebox is GM based so I had to figure out how they powered certain things. Turned out the 12v wire that led to the headlight switch had to branch out and connect with the hi-beam switch wire as well. And let there be light!

That is all....for now.

03-03-2012 11:25 AM #57
      Been chasing odd oil and coolant leaks here n there. At first thought it was the screw on oil filter base, but turned out it was one of the oil cooler adapters to the thermostatic adapter.

I was previously only getting 3rd, 4th and Reverse. So I used the cassette trick to space out the shifter...actually i used part of a cassette tape case to space it out. Worked great...now have all my gears.

Tuned the 60lb injectors for a somewhat steady idle and took the car for a spin. I turned on the Autotune function on my ecu. In first gear, it was very jerky but after about 10 minutes of driving, things smoothed out.

Driving a solid centered 6 puck wasn't so bad. It will chatter a bit if I don't give it enough rpms, but it's very manageable actually.

Was able to get it on the freeway for a bit. Still low throttle. When I got to the hill towards my place, I decided to give it more gas and that's when it all went downhill from there.

AFR's went straight down to 10, then to 9. Smelled a whole bunch of fuel. Was able to pull into my driveway. Turned out the fuel injectors unseated from the manifold. Now I need to reinforce the fuel rail mount/bracket.

Vehicles
      78 rabbit(ton berry), 80 caddy(da unicorn), 2015 Jetta TDi
      03-04-2012 03:12 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by 2021cc8V View Post
      Finished soldering the db37. added #30 wire for FIDLE to be used as either idle control or programmable port. Deleted iac1b and iac2b wires since I don't plan on using a 4wire idle stepper control. Also upgraded the ground pin scheme to the latest diagram from the megasquirt site.

Tomorrow afternoon, I hope to cut off the crimped db37 and solder the db37 pigtail I made to the existing harness .

Meanwhile, I decided to test my ecu with the jimstim to see if RPM's would read. Oddly, it wouldn't. WTF? It was working before....

So opened her up...

Somehow I didn't solder the jumper from IGBTIN to JS10. IGBTIN was soldered to the R26 resistor....I can't remember why?

Anywho... fired her up on the jimstim and now have RPM control again.

Tried again a few minutes later and lost RPM control. WTF? A lil further detetective work revealed that my ground wire near the proto area came loose. Resoldered it and now all is well on the jimstim ecu testing.

Will report back when more work is done...
      I have that same Icon jacket but the full leather non- mesh version.

03-05-2012 01:21 PM #59
      I'm pretty happy with that icon jacket. too bad I might end up selling my cbr. too many projects, hobbies, etc....not enough time!

03-22-2012 02:19 AM #60
      everyone likes pickchars!!!!

fuel rail brackets being stripped down to be redone (boxed for less flex)

new brackets/mounts and repainted...

drilled some holes in the pedals to mount up the autolook pedal covers

03-22-2012 02:23 AM #61
      more pickchars!!!

Wanted the quad light look but the inner driving lights wouldn't fit bc of the intercooler being in the way. But a fellow vortexer had some mismatched fog lights in his stash... got me thinking...

I could mount them on the bumper OR...

Not everyone's cup of tea, but I dig it...that's all it matters, right?

03-22-2012 02:33 AM #62
      even more pickchars!!!!

I wanted a speedo...but there really isn't much room for a speedometer with my cluttered cluster. I also wanted something fairly cheap...

read on the web that some folks use bike computers as speedometers which got me thinking....

sigma bike computer, magnets, brackets, telephone coiled cord, connectors...

bike sensor on bracket

rare earth magnets epoxied to cv flange washer

couldn't run a wire through the column. then got an idea from some motorsports pics (using a coiled wire)

It's not the most elegant solution but at least now I can read my speed. The bike computer can be lit at night pressing two buttons.

Took the wabbit for a drive tonight, and idle is still a lil rough. I'm thinkin probably vacuum leaks of some sort. On my boost gauge it doesn't seem to be making positive boost pressure. Something's up. Gauge does move but it moves from vacuum to zero but that's about it.

13. 03-22-2012 10:18 AM #63
      You know, VDO makes bike computers too.
      Theyre pretty cheap as well, got one myself.

Would really fit with your whole look.

14. 03-22-2012 10:55 AM #64
      rocked the bicycle speedo on a street fighter i built a few years back, worked mint. what kind of epoxy did you use? looks like you might have a hard time keeping that magnet on there with the exhaust heat and oil/debris. interested to see how it works out!

Love the build so far!

15. Member
      Vehicles
      Corrado G60
      03-22-2012 11:19 AM #65
      Why didn't you mount the speedo sensors at the back wheels?
      So it would give you correct speeds even at wheelspin

Vehicles
      83 GTI
      03-22-2012 12:04 PM #66
      Personally I would look at a GPS that would fit in the dash as it shows the speed as well.
      My Boosted 16VT Build

FS/FT 83 GTI roller
      Make me an offer before I chop it up

03-22-2012 01:34 PM #67
      thought of a gps but already had the extra bike computer laying around.

I've got a good oil leak of some sort. dunno where it is coming from.

i bypassed the boost solenoid and now it's just running wastegate. maybe will see some positive boost pressure.

05-12-2012 08:34 PM #68
      So I had been having problems making positive boost. Long story short...it was a bad wastegate spring.

Suppose to be a small tial red spring...but something was messed up. As soon as I got on the throttle, my wastegate would immediately open, sounding like a nasty exhaust leak. No positive boost.

Pulled wg signal off wastegate and ran just only spring pressure, but only saw 5psi tops. Something was up.

Got a new tial big yellow spring (something like 11psi I believe).

Yeah...the red spring...something was up with it.

Anywho...after lots of swearin n cursin, I got the new wg spring on. Got on the road and woohoo!!!!! Got 10-11 psi of positive boost. Now it's starting to get fun.

Sad news...my rear brake pads are gone....gotta get new cheapo pads.

05-28-2012 01:58 PM #69
      not much to update....took the wabbit up angeles crest hwy and had some fun in it.... noticed that as I went WOT, my fuel gauge level would drop alil bit and as soon as I was off the gas, level would return back to its spot.

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '13 335is, '85 Golf, '12 48 sportster xl1200
      05-28-2012 03:50 PM #70
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS:1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG. MKIforLife
      Quote Originally Posted by .Ant View Post
      What vegeta said.

Vehicles
      1991 GTI 2.0 16V, 1983 GTI 1.8 8V
      05-28-2012 03:59 PM #71
      Awesome job on the whole thing, especially the wiring!
      18 with a bagged Mk2... Pretty sure I'm the only one at my school with bags...

06-12-2012 08:53 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by AndrewDaniels View Post
      Awesome job on the whole thing, especially the wiring!
      Thanks....unfortunately, i have a small wiring issue right now.

Sometimes the fan stays on (it has no after thermo run switch) and the only way I can turn it off is to use the battery disconnect. My fan override sometimes doesn't work either. The wiring gremlin is located somewhere in the engine bay.. that much I've localized.

Waiting to turn up the boost....when I come back from my roadtrip with the bus.

06-24-2012 10:22 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by 2021cc8V View Post
      Thanks....unfortunately, i have a small wiring issue right now.

Sometimes the fan stays on (it has no after thermo run switch) and the only way I can turn it off is to use the battery disconnect. My fan override sometimes doesn't work either. The wiring gremlin is located somewhere in the engine bay.. that much I've localized.

Waiting to turn up the boost....when I come back from my roadtrip with the bus.
      thanks for the link it was well worth the read
      • ANYTHING UNATEMPTED REMAINS IMPOSSIBLE

scIROCco 16v /A6 quattro sport / Mk4 TDI JSW 5spd

06-25-2012 07:05 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by red16vdub View Post
      thanks for the link it was well worth the read

No problemo. Hopefullly it helped you out with some ideas.

So now.... I've been trying to get the boost solenoid to work within megasquirt. I had a couple of issues mainly in that the solenoid wasn't powering up.

Got that sorted but solenoid wasn't still clicking.

I had wired the the solenoid to SPR1 and JS0 (IAC1) so I thought that the wire to the solenoid would be the #25 IAC1 wire. Nope...nothing. So broke apart the DB37 connector and soldered a wire to the #3 pin (as depicted in the msextra manual). Ran that to the solenoid. Turned everything on and now everything works.

Been tuning it in open loop and am boosting to 15psi. Now just fiddling with the tables to get the most for that pressure. Probably won't be going past 16-17psi since I'm just on double headgaskets and STOCK headbolts.

Yeah...stockheadbolts. I do have APR headstuds but that's going on my 2L 16v IF this 1.8L goes buh-bye.

The wabbit is heading to the dyno in two weeks. Hoping for at least low 200's at 15psi.

Vehicles
      451, K1500, Z33
      06-30-2012 03:10 PM #75
      very nice build! I'm running the same turbo blanket on my 16vt
      Edit Signature Here

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast