Awesome job on the whole thing, especially the wiring!
Sometimes the fan stays on (it has no after thermo run switch) and the only way I can turn it off is to use the battery disconnect. My fan override sometimes doesn't work either. The wiring gremlin is located somewhere in the engine bay.. that much I've localized.
Waiting to turn up the boost....when I come back from my roadtrip with the bus.
No problemo. Hopefullly it helped you out with some ideas.
So now.... I've been trying to get the boost solenoid to work within megasquirt. I had a couple of issues mainly in that the solenoid wasn't powering up.
Got that sorted but solenoid wasn't still clicking.
I had wired the the solenoid to SPR1 and JS0 (IAC1) so I thought that the wire to the solenoid would be the #25 IAC1 wire. Nope...nothing. So broke apart the DB37 connector and soldered a wire to the #3 pin (as depicted in the msextra manual). Ran that to the solenoid. Turned everything on and now everything works.
Been tuning it in open loop and am boosting to 15psi. Now just fiddling with the tables to get the most for that pressure. Probably won't be going past 16-17psi since I'm just on double headgaskets and STOCK headbolts.
Yeah...stockheadbolts. I do have APR headstuds but that's going on my 2L 16v IF this 1.8L goes buh-bye.
The wabbit is heading to the dyno in two weeks. Hoping for at least low 200's at 15psi.
Decided to go with thread-in wheelstuds and lugnuts. Didn't find hubcentric rings that fit my momo wheels exactly. Probably will have to get some custom machined. Meanwhile, the wheelstuds will make life easier centering and mounting my wheels.
Also decided to go with higher rate rear springs. Off goes the red eibach springs and the rear neuspeed 25mm sway bar. BTW- the red springs and rear swaybar are FOR SALE!
Here's a shot of the new race springs installed...also a better look at the wheelstuds.
...with the wheel/tire mounted.
Haha! No plans to upgrade to an 02A right now. I'm trying to be gentle (sort of) with the 4k 020. I'm even on 90mm axles! Ooooh yeah. Basically no drop clutching for me. So far so good. Helps that it has a Quaife inside.
I go thru boost pretty quick in 1st and 2nd gear. But maybe that is a good thing.
I'd love to go to an 02a/j but considering I had plenty of big mods I was trying to do for the first time; that and I already had the 020 with the quaife, I figured to keep some of the things simpler for less headaches.
I'm just happy things are more or less running well. I still need to fix a small coolant and oil leak; and I have a driver side door that sags a lil; the exhaust rattles; and the wabbit creaks, but ehhh, the thing is fun to drive!!!
Took it out to Adams Motorsport Park in Riverside for their Time Attack night. It's basically autocross speeds on a go-kart track.
I was overly aggressive with the throttle and the turns and was just all over the place on the track. But it was fun! Got my times down to 48.73. The week prior (which was my first time there) I had a 49.69. Still playing with suspension height, spring rates, tire pressure and driver input.
Anywho...on the way home I noticed some clunking that was going on underneath. I just figured it was my exhaust banging/rattling like normal.
Got home, took a peek underneath and noticed my wastegate dumptube bolts had backed out; and the tube was just hanging onto the lower subframe.
But the main source of the clunking was from this...
The swaybar bracket that holds the bushing and bar in place had popped out....hmmmm...could give me issues in the turns!
Popped the hood and decided to do some visual inspections...
Oil catch can was filling up...so that will be taken care of.
Uh oh...minor stress crack at the manifold...hmmm...gonna monitor that.
Curious how often your catch can fills up? I had a lot of issues with blowby from my same new beetle/aeg breather but ended up shoving some Stainless steel "sponge" used for cleaning pots into my cap as a baffle.
works great.. keeps the slung oil down
Edit Signature Here
So...finally took it to the dyno at FSR Motorsports Creations in Montclair. Ian, the tuner did a great job getting my VE tables and Spark tables in check. We set the rev limit at 7,300rpm and max boost pressure to 14psi.
(if you're looking for dyno services, Ian/Eric are the guys to talk to...they can do 2wd/4wd setups and work with all makes/types of cars)
I'm as happy as a clam! Plenty of power to get into trouble!
I thought I took care of the 2nd oil leak (which i thought to be the oil catch can leaking oil out) but not so.
So out came the spray cleaner and pressure washer; and engine bay got cleaned up topside and bottom.
Poked around and discovered my oil sender adapter was leaking. Tried tightening it a lil bit and discovered why I was getting such an oil mess....
Totally my fault as I orginally gorilla-armed that adapter on. Time to fix!