Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Repair Cost: 2001 Jetta VR6 Cracked Thermo Housing

1. 11-29-2011 08:29 PM #1
      I have a cracked thermostat housing. A local repair shop quoted me $550 parts and labor, tax included, for the repair. I am awaiting a written quote, after the tech looks over the pasts list to determine what parts, if any, aren't necessary to replace. The quote is using VW OEM parts.
      Does this seem right? I'd like to know how many hours of labor the book says this job should take, and what parts are absolutely necessary to replace.
      Thanks in advance.

Vehicles
      2008 .:R32 - IY 20th #1998 - GLI 24v(sold)
      11-29-2011 08:32 PM #2

3. 11-29-2011 08:34 PM #3
      You can buy the part and install it yourself. It is a 30 min job. May as well change the thermostat as well.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Chrysler Crossfire, 2012 GTI
      11-30-2011 01:11 AM #4
      Yes, absolutely do the t-stat as well. However, this is not a 30 minute job. Allow yourself a couple hours and make sure you have the proper tools. I wouldn't attempt this job without a cooling system evacuator as you stand a good chance of getting an air pocket in the cooling system(which will equal overheating).

Vehicles
      01 Jetta VR6, 71 Type 1.
      11-30-2011 01:17 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by gizmog View Post
      I have a cracked thermostat housing. A local repair shop quoted me $550 parts and labor, tax included, for the repair. I am awaiting a written quote, after the tech looks over the pasts list to determine what parts, if any, aren't necessary to replace. The quote is using VW OEM parts.
      Does this seem right? I'd like to know how many hours of labor the book says this job should take, and what parts are absolutely necessary to replace.
      Thanks in advance.
      Do it your self it's not hard... I just did mine and had very little trouble.

I had a mechanic give me a quote because I hate working in the cold. He gave me a $300 quote with all vw parts.