Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 1673

    Thread: ****US Golf R Spotted Thread****

    1. Member DaLeadBull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 14th, 2011
      Location
      Northampton, PA
      Posts
      2,211
      Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      12-01-2011 02:10 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by SilverSLC View Post
      First, the GTI has been offered in four door form since inception in other markets than ours.

      -Tim
      That statement alone should shut him up.

    2. Member Alive By time's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2nd, 2006
      Location
      North San Diego
      Posts
      4,965
      Vehicles
      12' CW 4DR Golf [R] (SOLD) 13' RB 4DR Golf R
      12-01-2011 02:28 PM #27
      I wish we could vote to kick people off the island.


      This car makes me want to punch some one


      BECAUSE ITS SO EFFING SEXY!!
      Last edited by Alive By time; 12-01-2011 at 02:31 PM.
      Blue One

    3. Member goforit2007's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 22nd, 2007
      Location
      IL (Chicagoland)
      Posts
      3,077
      Vehicles
      2012 4dr Base Rising Blue Golf R
      12-01-2011 04:00 PM #28
      Would you rather I made him climb into the back seat of one of my Porsche's? Oh wait, the Boxster S can only take one passenger

      My father refuses to sit in the front seat (that he leaves and insists goes to my mom).

      Clearly everyone has different viewpoints/agenda's.

      To me the "sacrilege" would be to get one of those "sheet tons of sedans and wagons out there"

      I already have 7 impractical vehicles (which includes the truck/car hauler to tracks)

      I refuse to own a mini-van, station wagon, Sport Ute or SUV for my own personal reasons (same reason I refuse to own boring 4 door sedan like a Camry)

      Why would you care if I prefer the 4 door R anyway? Different strokes for different folks!


      Quote Originally Posted by homercles337 View Post
      You make your crippled father climb into the back seat? Damn, thats harsh. You want "practicality?" There are literally sheet tons of sedans and wagons out there, the 4-door GTI is simple sacrilege. If you want to haul your family and "friends" around maybe you need a bigger car? It also looks like azz, so i would not use "practicality" as an argument, stupid is more apt.
      -2012 Rising Blue Base 4dr 2012 R (current daily driver!)

      -1995 Spec Miata
      -1994 Sentra SE-R (PTE track beast in-the-works)
      -1995 Infiniti G20 (NASA PTF/TTF track rat) and 2012 NASA Nationals PTF Champion!

    4. Member VWPDX's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 7th, 2011
      Location
      Portland, OR
      Posts
      1,517
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R (2012-) 1997 GTI-VR6 (1998-2007)
      12-01-2011 04:09 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by homercles337 View Post
      If you want to haul your family and "friends" around maybe you need a bigger car? It also looks like azz, so i would not use "practicality" as an argument, stupid is more apt.
      The Golf is actually quite spacious inside. I don't think most of us need an A8 to carry around a few extra people. The bigger glaring error in your logic above is linking practicality and appearance. Appearance is subjective. So if something looks like, as you eloquently put it, "azz", why would practicality not be an argument?

      If this is your track car and you have not other responsibilities, that's great. However, the 4 door lets us have the best of both worlds.

    5. Member TanTheMan67's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 26th, 2005
      Location
      Denver CO
      Posts
      917
      Vehicles
      2012 Rising Blue MKVI R, 2002 IY 20thAE #1691
      12-01-2011 04:28 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Alive By time View Post
      I wish we could vote to kick people off the island.


      This car makes me want to punch some one


      BECAUSE ITS SO EFFING SEXY!!
      That is the same as the one that I ordered (and i believe you as well IIRC). Cant wait for the 2 more months.....

    6. Member Alive By time's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2nd, 2006
      Location
      North San Diego
      Posts
      4,965
      Vehicles
      12' CW 4DR Golf [R] (SOLD) 13' RB 4DR Golf R
      12-01-2011 04:30 PM #31
      I ordered the CW.. because I already have a dbp mk 4.. but this picture makes me regret it.

      Im sure I'll be just as excited when my VW gets here
      Blue One

    7. Member Cowclops's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2011
      Location
      Troy, NY
      Posts
      436
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R Rising Blue, 1973 BMW 2002tii Sahara
      12-01-2011 04:38 PM #32
      Practicality be damned, I had 6 people (5 plus me) in my TWO DOOR GTI just last week! Actually it was a bunch of drunk people I was shuttling back from the bar, so they didn't care that they were just rolled up in a ball and thrownin the back seat.

      Haha, I'm getting a 4 door R anyway. Not so I can stuff 6 people in there again, but so I don't have to literally explain how to operate the seat to everyone who ever wants to ride in the back of my car. Everyone knows how to open a door, but "No, not that lever! NOT THAT LEVER EITHER! Its at the TOP of the seat" gets old after the 50th time.

    8. Member GTIVRon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 24th, 2009
      Location
      Keller, Texas
      Posts
      4,477
      Vehicles
      92 Corrado SLC, '12 Golf R
      12-01-2011 04:48 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by homercles337 View Post
      You make your crippled father climb into the back seat? Damn, thats harsh. You want "practicality?" There are literally sheet tons of sedans and wagons out there, the 4-door GTI is simple sacrilege. If you want to haul your family and "friends" around maybe you need a bigger car? It also looks like azz, so i would not use "practicality" as an argument, stupid is more apt.
      Ha ha. Kids.

      I wonder why he's buying a 5 seat "sports" car. You don't go racing with 3 people in the back.

      Quote Originally Posted by homercles337 View Post
      stupid is more apt.
      While reading your post I thought you were arrogant, but the last part (quoted above) above seems to wrap up your mindset.

      BTW my last 3 cars were 2 doors. But I've grown up some and can't wait to finally have 4 doors again.
      2002.5 Jetta 1.8T - TOTALED (dodging deer)
      2002.5 24v GTI - TOTALED (rear-ended by a Jeep)
      1992 Corrado SLC - Daily Driver Status
      2012 Golf R - Weekend/Need A/C Status

    9. Member lobuzz311's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 12th, 2011
      Location
      San Jose, CA
      Posts
      921
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2011 Ford Explorer
      12-01-2011 05:53 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Alive By time View Post
      I ordered the CW.. because I already have a dbp mk 4.. but this picture makes me regret it.

      Im sure I'll be just as excited when my VW gets here
      Same here... ordered CW, but that picture made me question my decision...
      I'm sure I'll love the CW, and given how quickly I'll be driving in it, I don't want to stand out any more than I have to!!!
      2012 Golf R - Candy White 4-door (Build Thread)

    10. Member DaLeadBull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 14th, 2011
      Location
      Northampton, PA
      Posts
      2,211
      Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      12-01-2011 05:55 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Alive By time View Post
      I wish we could vote to kick people off the island.


      This car makes me want to punch some one


      BECAUSE ITS SO EFFING SEXY!!
      That car has 19's and LED tails, so if you keep looking at that then you will be disappointed when US Golf R comes.

    11. Member goforit2007's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 22nd, 2007
      Location
      IL (Chicagoland)
      Posts
      3,077
      Vehicles
      2012 4dr Base Rising Blue Golf R
      12-01-2011 06:06 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by GTIVRon View Post
      Ha ha. Kids.

      I wonder why he's buying a 5 seat "sports" car. You don't go racing with 3 people in the back.



      While reading your post I thought you were arrogant, but the last part (quoted above) above seems to wrap up your mindset.
      .

      too funny... and since I already have 3 race cars and a 'track car', my 4 door Golf R won't need to be raced (although I suspect it will eventually see a track just like my former 2004 R32 did when it was 32 degrees out and snow on the track in April!)

      Quote Originally Posted by lobuzz311 View Post
      Same here... ordered CW, but that picture made me question my decision...
      I'm sure I'll love the CW, and given how quickly I'll be driving in it, I don't want to stand out any more than I have to!!!
      I might have considered that too if I didn't already have my current TDI. I'm going for Rising Blue.... My CW TDI golf will not morph into CW R.... plus I really love that Rising blue!
      -2012 Rising Blue Base 4dr 2012 R (current daily driver!)

      -1995 Spec Miata
      -1994 Sentra SE-R (PTE track beast in-the-works)
      -1995 Infiniti G20 (NASA PTF/TTF track rat) and 2012 NASA Nationals PTF Champion!

    12. Member cloors's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 27th, 2007
      Location
      BC
      Posts
      535
      Vehicles
      Golf R
      12-01-2011 06:47 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by GTIVRon View Post
      BTW my last 3 cars were 2 doors. But I've grown up some and can't wait to finally have 4 doors again.
      I've only ever had 2 door cars. When my girlfriend bought her Jetta I was amazed at how much more convenient it is. For kids, parents, groceries, camping trips, traveling, whatever. I tend to like the look of the 2 door a bit better, but I don't like it enough to sacrifice the convenience of those extra doors. Especially since the R will be my daily, and the fact that kids aren't too far off...

    13. Member Alive By time's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2nd, 2006
      Location
      North San Diego
      Posts
      4,965
      Vehicles
      12' CW 4DR Golf [R] (SOLD) 13' RB 4DR Golf R
      12-01-2011 09:19 PM #38
      well i purchased pss10's and led's aleady. So im well on my way Tempted to get the 19's of the stock wheel.. but will get something after i use up the tires on the 18''s
      Blue One

    14. Member .:RTime's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 1st, 2010
      Location
      Center Valley, PA
      Posts
      941
      Vehicles
      Dumped Out Golf R, 2004 BMP R32
      12-02-2011 11:44 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Alive By time View Post
      I wish we could vote to kick people off the island.


      This car makes me want to punch some one


      BECAUSE ITS SO EFFING SEXY!!
      i have a MKV R32 so i got CW cause i dont want two Blue R's so i got CW but the rising blue does look really good in this pic.

    15. Member homercles337's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 15th, 2002
      Location
      STL
      Posts
      312
      Vehicles
      337, R
      12-04-2011 12:27 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by SilverSLC View Post
      The GTI is a trim level of the Golf, and you can get 2 and 4 door Golf GTIs in just about every other market out there as well. In addition to that, you can get Polo GTIs, etc.
      Just because you say it does not make it true. The Golf has been available in 2/4-door configs since inception, but this is not true of the GTI. This trim level was not available in any market as a 4-door until recently (see, i can say things too, try links next time). The very definition of "hot hatch" is a two-door with hatch (yes, you can find differing opinions among a tiny minority) to argue against this is simply silly.

    16. Member homercles337's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 15th, 2002
      Location
      STL
      Posts
      312
      Vehicles
      337, R
      12-04-2011 12:49 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Cowclops View Post
      Practicality be damned, I had 6 people (5 plus me) in my TWO DOOR GTI just last week! Actually it was a bunch of drunk people I was shuttling back from the bar, so they didn't care that they were just rolled up in a ball and thrownin the back seat.
      I had a MkIV and 4 grown adults is a very tight fit. I had to move my drivers seat way up to accommodate legs in the back seat. I did a little research too, the MkVI has 1.8" more headroom and 1.7" more leg room (combined front and back seats) than the MkIV. Long story short, you know some really TINY people.

      Its attitudes of most of the people in this thread (i have kids and i want to drive a small car damn it!) that contribute to the total lack of true hot hatches in the US. Even American auto makers do not give the US market hot hatches (hello, Focus RS) because "umm, kids" and "uhh, practicality" and "ubb, hubbub." The R was the only car that met my wants in the US, in europe i would have had a dozen choices.

    17. Member Cowclops's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2011
      Location
      Troy, NY
      Posts
      436
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R Rising Blue, 1973 BMW 2002tii Sahara
      12-04-2011 02:46 AM #42
      Ah, but I had 6 people in a MK5 2 door GTI, and they were shoved in the back extremely uncomfortably. The MK4 Golf i had awful back seat orom, but the Mk5 isn't quite as bad. I'm assuming the MK6 R won't have any more actual legroom in the back seat, but since I'm going 2 door->4 door it'll be easier to get into the back.

    18. Member DaLeadBull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 14th, 2011
      Location
      Northampton, PA
      Posts
      2,211
      Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      12-04-2011 08:58 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by homercles337 View Post
      Just because you say it does not make it true. The Golf has been available in 2/4-door configs since inception, but this is not true of the GTI. This trim level was not available in any market as a 4-door until recently (see, i can say things too, try links next time). The very definition of "hot hatch" is a two-door with hatch (yes, you can find differing opinions among a tiny minority) to argue against this is simply silly.

    19. Member
      Join Date
      May 8th, 2011
      Location
      Charlotte, NC
      Posts
      450
      Vehicles
      VW Scirocco 1982 (SOLD), 3000 GT VR4 (SOLD) Golf R, sold, Alfa Romeo 4C
      12-04-2011 09:18 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by lobuzz311 View Post
      Same here... ordered CW, but that picture made me question my decision...
      I'm sure I'll love the CW, and given how quickly I'll be driving in it, I don't want to stand out any more than I have to!!!
      The Rising Blue indeed looks great at night,maybe not so great in daylight.Put some black wheels on your CW and you will not regret a second you ordered a CW.

    20. Vortex Media Group Staff Tim@VMG's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 11th, 2001
      Location
      Baltimore, MD
      Posts
      19,291
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI Autobahn
      12-04-2011 10:54 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by homercles337 View Post
      Just because you say it does not make it true. The Golf has been available in 2/4-door configs since inception, but this is not true of the GTI.
      Yes, it is.

      This trim level was not available in any market as a 4-door until recently (see, i can say things too, try links next time).
      Yes, it was. As I mentioned in the other post, in all other markets except for the USA, the "GTI" is a trim level, not a separate model like it is here. You can but a Golf GTI or a Polo GTI. You used to be able to get Lupo GTIs, Scirocco GTIs, etc, etc. As a trim level, you could get a Golf GTI in either two or four door form.

      If you want links:

      http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3468499.htm
      http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3467836.htm
      http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3466150.htm


      The very definition of "hot hatch" is a two-door with hatch (yes, you can find differing opinions among a tiny minority) to argue against this is simply silly.
      That's something of an Americanism, actually. In European and other markets, four door hatches, including the performance versions of them, are much more common than they are here.

      -Tim
      The artist formerly known as SilverSLC
      Forum Rules | How To Use vBulletin

      VWVortex | Fourtitude | INR8 | Kilometer Magazine | Swedespeed
      "When you're traveling at lower speeds, and by lower speeds I mean anything under 120 miles per hour..." -Allan McNish

    21. Member VWPDX's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 7th, 2011
      Location
      Portland, OR
      Posts
      1,517
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R (2012-) 1997 GTI-VR6 (1998-2007)
      12-04-2011 12:02 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by homercles337 View Post
      I had a MkIV and 4 grown adults is a very tight fit. I had to move my drivers seat way up to accommodate legs in the back seat. I did a little research too, the MkVI has 1.8" more headroom and 1.7" more leg room (combined front and back seats) than the MkIV. Long story short, you know some really TINY people.

      Its attitudes of most of the people in this thread (i have kids and i want to drive a small car damn it!) that contribute to the total lack of true hot hatches in the US. Even American auto makers do not give the US market hot hatches (hello, Focus RS) because "umm, kids" and "uhh, practicality" and "ubb, hubbub." The R was the only car that met my wants in the US, in europe i would have had a dozen choices.
      This is a ridiculous statement. The attitude of the people on this thread is the reason there will be a us golf r at all. By the way, in the ROW this is a solid mid size car. The reason VW decided to go 4 door on the US R was to boost demand. You make no convincing argument as to what four doors has anything to do with lack of availability of other hatches.

    22. Member <Platypus='s Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2006
      Location
      Boulder, Co
      Posts
      889
      Vehicles
      CW Golf R
      12-04-2011 12:51 PM #47

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 16th, 2004
      Location
      Oviedo, Fl
      Posts
      2,183
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi Q5 3.0T S-Line, 2012 Golf R , 2013 Touareg VR6 (Wife's)
      12-05-2011 11:44 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by michel View Post
      With all the various threads of spotted US bound Golf R, I wanted to start this thread and keep everything in one spot. Here is my spotted white US spec Golf R for today. As you all are aware of the VW test facility here in Tampa I ran into this white R while I was leaving work. At first I did not believe I was looking at a Golf R but the light change so quick the driver took off like he stole the car . and it was pretty quick of the line once I caught up I was able to take this short video
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzrB26uuVSs&sns=em
      And a picture of it in traffic


      I don't know about you guys but the 4 door white don't do nothing for me upon seeing it up close and here is my beloved R32 awaiting for it baby brother to come alone next year


      Moderator, can you please put a sticky on this thread in order to keep all the US spotted photos all in one place

      I think the Golf R desperately needs flared fenders. Not saying a "wide body" kit, but it needs something more than what VW is giving it.
      Check out the fenders in the R32......That's what it should look like! I'm sure, because of the stock ride height of the one in that picture, that the Golf R will look drastically better once lowered, but I still think it would look even better with flared fenders.....

      Maybe I'll do the fenders and color match the rear valance to really go against the grain. LOL.

      Scott

    24. 12-07-2011 02:36 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by scottisha View Post
      I think the Golf R desperately needs flared fenders. Not saying a "wide body" kit, but it needs something more than what VW is giving it.
      Check out the fenders in the R32......That's what it should look like! I'm sure, because of the stock ride height of the one in that picture, that the Golf R will look drastically better once lowered, but I still think it would look even better with flared fenders.....

      Maybe I'll do the fenders and color match the rear valance to really go against the grain. LOL.

      Scott
      Here is your solution, it can done at a reputable body shop

      2004 DBP R32
      2004 ML500

    25. Member
      Join Date
      May 12th, 2002
      Location
      Keller TX.
      Posts
      452
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT-RS
      12-07-2011 08:33 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Cowclops View Post
      Ah, but I had 6 people in a MK5 2 door GTI, and they were shoved in the back extremely uncomfortably. The MK4 Golf i had awful back seat orom, but the Mk5 isn't quite as bad. I'm assuming the MK6 R won't have any more actual legroom in the back seat, but since I'm going 2 door->4 door it'll be easier to get into the back.
      I get in the driver seat. Anyone else that rides in my car can either like it, or drive their own car. The other option is they can walk.

      On a serious note though. If you plan on having 6 people in your car, maybe that person should get a Passat, Audi A6 or even a Maxima. Better yet.......a large SUV. I guess if 5 hot women wanted a ride.......I think I could figure something out though!

    Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •