VWVortex

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: ****US Golf R Spotted Thread****

Vehicles
      2012 4dr Base Rising Blue Golf R
      12-01-2011 06:06 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by GTIVRon View Post
      Ha ha. Kids.

I wonder why he's buying a 5 seat "sports" car. You don't go racing with 3 people in the back.

While reading your post I thought you were arrogant, but the last part (quoted above) above seems to wrap up your mindset.

too funny... and since I already have 3 race cars and a 'track car', my 4 door Golf R won't need to be raced (although I suspect it will eventually see a track just like my former 2004 R32 did when it was 32 degrees out and snow on the track in April!)

Quote Originally Posted by lobuzz311 View Post
      Same here... ordered CW, but that picture made me question my decision...
      I'm sure I'll love the CW, and given how quickly I'll be driving in it, I don't want to stand out any more than I have to!!!
      I might have considered that too if I didn't already have my current TDI. I'm going for Rising Blue.... My CW TDI golf will not morph into CW R.... plus I really love that Rising blue!
      -2012 Rising Blue Base 4dr 2012 R (current daily driver!)

-1995 Spec Miata
      -1994 Sentra SE-R (PTE track beast in-the-works)
      -1995 Infiniti G20 (NASA PTF/TTF track rat) and 2012 NASA Nationals PTF Champion!

Vehicles
      Golf R
      12-01-2011 06:47 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by GTIVRon View Post
      BTW my last 3 cars were 2 doors. But I've grown up some and can't wait to finally have 4 doors again.
      I've only ever had 2 door cars. When my girlfriend bought her Jetta I was amazed at how much more convenient it is. For kids, parents, groceries, camping trips, traveling, whatever. I tend to like the look of the 2 door a bit better, but I don't like it enough to sacrifice the convenience of those extra doors. Especially since the R will be my daily, and the fact that kids aren't too far off...

Vehicles
      12' CW 4DR Golf [R] (SOLD) 13' RB 4DR Golf R
      12-01-2011 09:19 PM #38
      well i purchased pss10's and led's aleady. So im well on my way Tempted to get the 19's of the stock wheel.. but will get something after i use up the tires on the 18''s
      Blue One

Vehicles
      Dumped Out Golf R, 2004 BMP R32
      12-02-2011 11:44 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Alive By time View Post
      I wish we could vote to kick people off the island.

This car makes me want to punch some one

BECAUSE ITS SO EFFING SEXY!!
      i have a MKV R32 so i got CW cause i dont want two Blue R's so i got CW but the rising blue does look really good in this pic.

Vehicles
      337, R
      12-04-2011 12:27 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by SilverSLC View Post
      The GTI is a trim level of the Golf, and you can get 2 and 4 door Golf GTIs in just about every other market out there as well. In addition to that, you can get Polo GTIs, etc.
      Just because you say it does not make it true. The Golf has been available in 2/4-door configs since inception, but this is not true of the GTI. This trim level was not available in any market as a 4-door until recently (see, i can say things too, try links next time). The very definition of "hot hatch" is a two-door with hatch (yes, you can find differing opinions among a tiny minority) to argue against this is simply silly.

Vehicles
      337, R
      12-04-2011 12:49 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Cowclops View Post
      Practicality be damned, I had 6 people (5 plus me) in my TWO DOOR GTI just last week! Actually it was a bunch of drunk people I was shuttling back from the bar, so they didn't care that they were just rolled up in a ball and thrownin the back seat.
      I had a MkIV and 4 grown adults is a very tight fit. I had to move my drivers seat way up to accommodate legs in the back seat. I did a little research too, the MkVI has 1.8" more headroom and 1.7" more leg room (combined front and back seats) than the MkIV. Long story short, you know some really TINY people.

Its attitudes of most of the people in this thread (i have kids and i want to drive a small car damn it!) that contribute to the total lack of true hot hatches in the US. Even American auto makers do not give the US market hot hatches (hello, Focus RS) because "umm, kids" and "uhh, practicality" and "ubb, hubbub." The R was the only car that met my wants in the US, in europe i would have had a dozen choices.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R Rising Blue, 1973 BMW 2002tii Sahara
      12-04-2011 02:46 AM #42
      Ah, but I had 6 people in a MK5 2 door GTI, and they were shoved in the back extremely uncomfortably. The MK4 Golf i had awful back seat orom, but the Mk5 isn't quite as bad. I'm assuming the MK6 R won't have any more actual legroom in the back seat, but since I'm going 2 door->4 door it'll be easier to get into the back.

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      12-04-2011 08:58 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by homercles337 View Post
      Just because you say it does not make it true. The Golf has been available in 2/4-door configs since inception, but this is not true of the GTI. This trim level was not available in any market as a 4-door until recently (see, i can say things too, try links next time). The very definition of "hot hatch" is a two-door with hatch (yes, you can find differing opinions among a tiny minority) to argue against this is simply silly.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      VW Scirocco 1982 (SOLD), 3000 GT VR4 (SOLD) Golf R
      12-04-2011 09:18 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by lobuzz311 View Post
      Same here... ordered CW, but that picture made me question my decision...
      I'm sure I'll love the CW, and given how quickly I'll be driving in it, I don't want to stand out any more than I have to!!!
      The Rising Blue indeed looks great at night,maybe not so great in daylight.Put some black wheels on your CW and you will not regret a second you ordered a CW.

10. Vortex Media Group Staff Tim@VMG's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI Autobahn
      12-04-2011 10:54 AM #45
      Just because you say it does not make it true. The Golf has been available in 2/4-door configs since inception, but this is not true of the GTI.
      Yes, it is.

This trim level was not available in any market as a 4-door until recently (see, i can say things too, try links next time).
      Yes, it was. As I mentioned in the other post, in all other markets except for the USA, the "GTI" is a trim level, not a separate model like it is here. You can but a Golf GTI or a Polo GTI. You used to be able to get Lupo GTIs, Scirocco GTIs, etc, etc. As a trim level, you could get a Golf GTI in either two or four door form.

If you want links:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3468499.htm
      http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3467836.htm
      http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3466150.htm

The very definition of "hot hatch" is a two-door with hatch (yes, you can find differing opinions among a tiny minority) to argue against this is simply silly.
      That's something of an Americanism, actually. In European and other markets, four door hatches, including the performance versions of them, are much more common than they are here.

-Tim
      The artist formerly known as SilverSLC
      Forum Rules | How To Use vBulletin

VWVortex | Fourtitude | INR8 | Kilometer Magazine | Swedespeed
      "When you're traveling at lower speeds, and by lower speeds I mean anything under 120 miles per hour..." -Allan McNish

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R (2012-) 1997 GTI-VR6 (1998-2007)
      12-04-2011 12:02 PM #46
      I had a MkIV and 4 grown adults is a very tight fit. I had to move my drivers seat way up to accommodate legs in the back seat. I did a little research too, the MkVI has 1.8" more headroom and 1.7" more leg room (combined front and back seats) than the MkIV. Long story short, you know some really TINY people.

Its attitudes of most of the people in this thread (i have kids and i want to drive a small car damn it!) that contribute to the total lack of true hot hatches in the US. Even American auto makers do not give the US market hot hatches (hello, Focus RS) because "umm, kids" and "uhh, practicality" and "ubb, hubbub." The R was the only car that met my wants in the US, in europe i would have had a dozen choices.
      This is a ridiculous statement. The attitude of the people on this thread is the reason there will be a us golf r at all. By the way, in the ROW this is a solid mid size car. The reason VW decided to go 4 door on the US R was to boost demand. You make no convincing argument as to what four doors has anything to do with lack of availability of other hatches.

Vehicles
      CW Golf R
      12-04-2011 12:51 PM #47

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi Q5 3.0T S-Line, 2012 Golf R , 2013 Touareg VR6 (Wife's)
      12-05-2011 11:44 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by michel View Post
      With all the various threads of spotted US bound Golf R, I wanted to start this thread and keep everything in one spot. Here is my spotted white US spec Golf R for today. As you all are aware of the VW test facility here in Tampa I ran into this white R while I was leaving work. At first I did not believe I was looking at a Golf R but the light change so quick the driver took off like he stole the car . and it was pretty quick of the line once I caught up I was able to take this short video
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzrB26uuVSs&sns=em
      And a picture of it in traffic

I don't know about you guys but the 4 door white don't do nothing for me upon seeing it up close and here is my beloved R32 awaiting for it baby brother to come alone next year

Moderator, can you please put a sticky on this thread in order to keep all the US spotted photos all in one place

I think the Golf R desperately needs flared fenders. Not saying a "wide body" kit, but it needs something more than what VW is giving it.
      Check out the fenders in the R32......That's what it should look like! I'm sure, because of the stock ride height of the one in that picture, that the Golf R will look drastically better once lowered, but I still think it would look even better with flared fenders.....

Maybe I'll do the fenders and color match the rear valance to really go against the grain. LOL.

Scott

14. 12-07-2011 02:36 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by scottisha View Post
      I think the Golf R desperately needs flared fenders. Not saying a "wide body" kit, but it needs something more than what VW is giving it.
      Check out the fenders in the R32......That's what it should look like! I'm sure, because of the stock ride height of the one in that picture, that the Golf R will look drastically better once lowered, but I still think it would look even better with flared fenders.....

Maybe I'll do the fenders and color match the rear valance to really go against the grain. LOL.

Scott
      Here is your solution, it can done at a reputable body shop

2004 DBP R32
      2004 ML500

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      12-07-2011 08:33 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Cowclops View Post
      Ah, but I had 6 people in a MK5 2 door GTI, and they were shoved in the back extremely uncomfortably. The MK4 Golf i had awful back seat orom, but the Mk5 isn't quite as bad. I'm assuming the MK6 R won't have any more actual legroom in the back seat, but since I'm going 2 door->4 door it'll be easier to get into the back.
      I get in the driver seat. Anyone else that rides in my car can either like it, or drive their own car. The other option is they can walk.

On a serious note though. If you plan on having 6 people in your car, maybe that person should get a Passat, Audi A6 or even a Maxima. Better yet.......a large SUV. I guess if 5 hot women wanted a ride.......I think I could figure something out though!

16. 12-08-2011 12:14 AM #51
      I prefer the lines of the 4-door, the window sill doesn't swoop up near the C pillar like it does on the 2dr. But, that photo of the the CW looks horrible... Golfs have always had some unbecoming angles when stock, that looks like one of them. The center exhaust doesn't help either.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 G37 coupe, 2006 Jetta
      12-09-2011 06:57 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
      But, that photo of the the CW looks horrible... Golfs have always had some unbecoming angles when stock, that looks like one of them. The center exhaust doesn't help either.
      The lack of LED tails in favor of reflector tail lamps is what makes the R look like a ubiquitous base model golf. Whoever buys the R needs to upgrade those immediately.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 R CW 4Dr
      12-09-2011 11:13 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
      I prefer the lines of the 4-door, the window sill doesn't swoop up near the C pillar like it does on the 2dr. But, that photo of the the CW looks horrible... Golfs have always had some unbecoming angles when stock, that looks like one of them. The center exhaust doesn't help either.
      I agree.

I'm sure we'll see plenty of something like the one below.

Yes it's 4 door CW and I think its sexy as hell.

Last edited by Peteski; 12-10-2011 at 09:47 AM.
      // OEM Recaros // RNS-510 // RVC // RLS // OPS // OEM Auto-Dimming Auto-Folding Exterior Mirrors // OEM Homelink // OEM LED Tails // OEM Golf R Black Headlights // OEM Door puddle lights // OKADA Plasma Coils // APR Stage 3 // 034M Catch Can
      RNS-510 Guru // VWNavi.com // Instagram: PeterDNA

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      12-09-2011 11:57 PM #54
      Thy cw is beautiful. What wheels are those?

Edit: Are there any similar that dont cost $1300+ per wheel? haha
      Last edited by luke wl.; 12-10-2011 at 10:24 AM.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 R CW 4Dr
      12-10-2011 09:47 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by luke wl. View Post
      Thy cw is beautiful. What wheels are those?
      Rotiform
      3-Piece Forged SJC

-Peter
      // OEM Recaros // RNS-510 // RVC // RLS // OPS // OEM Auto-Dimming Auto-Folding Exterior Mirrors // OEM Homelink // OEM LED Tails // OEM Golf R Black Headlights // OEM Door puddle lights // OKADA Plasma Coils // APR Stage 3 // 034M Catch Can
      RNS-510 Guru // VWNavi.com // Instagram: PeterDNA

21. 12-13-2011 02:14 PM #56

I am starting to like the 4 door in rising blue also
      Last edited by michel; 12-13-2011 at 06:19 PM.
      2004 DBP R32
      2004 ML500

Vehicles
      2012 Rising Blue MKVI R, 2002 IY 20thAE #1691
      12-13-2011 02:20 PM #57

This photo makes me happy that it is my Birthday present this year!

23. 01-09-2012 05:07 PM #58
      Except this time I was able to take some decent pictures of it.

2004 DBP R32
      2004 ML500

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      01-09-2012 06:08 PM #59
      Is it just me or do those tire have no thread left?

Vehicles
      2012 Rising Blue MKVI R, 2002 IY 20thAE #1691
      01-09-2012 06:15 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by DaLeadBull View Post
      Is it just me or do those tire have no thread left?
      I can only imagine the test cars are not treated very nice by the drivers.

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      01-09-2012 06:17 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by TanTheMan67 View Post
      Yea and the ride height actually looks pretty damn good, don't you think?

27. Vortex Media Group Staff Tim@VMG's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI Autobahn
      01-09-2012 07:00 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by TanTheMan67 View Post
      Let's just say that those tires are in quite nice shape compared to some of the test cars that I have been in.

-Tim
      The artist formerly known as SilverSLC
      Forum Rules | How To Use vBulletin

VWVortex | Fourtitude | INR8 | Kilometer Magazine | Swedespeed
      "When you're traveling at lower speeds, and by lower speeds I mean anything under 120 miles per hour..." -Allan McNish

28. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 CC R-Line, '12 Golf R
      01-10-2012 10:03 AM #63
      Candy White Golf R sitting in the lot at Flow VW in Winston-Salem. Which is strange because mine hasn't come in yet unless it did this morning, and is only 20 miles away. I was on the interstate so I couldn't get photos or see if it was a 2D or 4D.

Vehicles
      2011 Routan SE w/RSE & Navigation, 2004 Wrangler Sport
      01-10-2012 10:46 AM #64
      Yea and the ride height actually looks pretty damn good, don't you think?
      If I recall correctly the ride height on that R is EU Spec, not US. Someone else may have more details but I remember reading that somewhere.

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      01-10-2012 11:56 AM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by rawlmark View Post
      If I recall correctly the ride height on that R is EU Spec, not US. Someone else may have more details but I remember reading that somewhere.
      I don't see why a US spec test car would have a euro spec suspension.

Vehicles
      2011 Routan SE w/RSE & Navigation, 2004 Wrangler Sport
      01-10-2012 11:59 AM #66
      I don't see why a US spec test car would have a euro spec suspension.
      Honestly just guessing why... because the US Spec cars hadn't been built yet.

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      01-10-2012 12:49 PM #67
      I'm sure VW has the ability to build test cars prior to production begins for consumers.

Vehicles
      '12 GTI 2-DR
      01-10-2012 03:17 PM #68
      That is a US spec Golf R, take a look at the US only "details".
      2015 M235i On Order | 2012 GTI MKVI | 2013 CC | 2012 A5

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R (On Order)
      01-10-2012 03:18 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by SHIPARCH View Post
      That is a US spec Golf R, take a look at the US only "details".
      This

Vehicles
      12' CW 4DR Golf [R] (SOLD) 13' RB 4DR Golf R
      03-06-2012 07:59 PM #70
      Saw a rising blue on sorrento valley road in San Diego! First un-planned siting. Was pretty excited... I Was in my friends car with co workers.
      Blue One

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast