Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: turbo on a 87 cabbi with a CIS motor?????

1. 01-05-2012 09:49 AM #36
      [QUOTE=s2kvondeutschland;75223136]Dude... what? Seriously?

I didn't post the Callaway system, I merely commented on why it was so cool. And especially in the EARLY 80's.

Why are you then answering the question I asked the guy about the fifth injector and giving lectures on here about mixing and matching parts.

This post was started because somebody wanted advice about CIS turbo, not a historical discussion of the callaway kits, There are many other posts about that so pls don't pollute this post, much appreciated

As I plan on posting the tuning part soon and ppl appreaciate not having to sift though garbage and unrelated post when searching for info.

Vehicles
      '87 e23 735i, '06 e83 X3 3.0i
      01-05-2012 10:02 AM #37
      Get over yourself man. This wasn't your thread to start with.

"Zed's dead, baby, Zed's dead."

RooflessVW

Vehicles
      '04 .:R32 '98 GTI 2.0 '03 GLX Passat Wagon, '88 Cabbriolet
      01-05-2012 11:23 AM #38
      .....anyway, lets not get this thing locked.

Vehicles
      '81 Sportruck
      01-05-2012 08:28 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Montrocco View Post
      I was asking about "your" way of doing this since everybody reading this thread is aware of the Callaway and others Microfueller.

My opinion is that Callaway and others were designed as bolt-on kits and it is totally understandable why they would devise a piggyback system.

Buying a kit out of a box and bolting it on is not really an achievement in my opinion. Doing it yourself is unfortunately more complicated but gives your a better sense of accomplishement. I feel even better knowing that my build puts down more hp than any of those kits did in the day using the same technology.
      I'd still take an engineered to succeed Callaway kit over some of the hodge-podge disasters I've seen over the years. And this piggyback system I speak of isn't from then. It's new. Laptop programmable WUR and wideband capability so you don't grenade your motor. It's relatively inexpensive and waaaaaaaayyyy easier than upgrading the entire injection system. Whoops, I said easy. You wouldn't want that. Yes, the Rotomaster and RayJay turbos from back then weren't the best ever. They can be upgraded when rebuilt, which is nice. I just hate when people get salty because they've built something, and call out people who "bolt on" things, when this is actually pretty saavy mechanical work. Don't put people down because they didn't have to visit 30 junkyards to salvage crap from broken, waterlogged cars.

5. 01-06-2012 12:14 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by dubdaze68 View Post
      I'd still take an engineered to succeed Callaway kit over some of the hodge-podge disasters I've seen over the years. And this piggyback system I speak of isn't from then. It's new. Laptop programmable WUR and wideband capability so you don't grenade your motor. It's relatively inexpensive and waaaaaaaayyyy easier than upgrading the entire injection system. Whoops, I said easy. You wouldn't want that. Yes, the Rotomaster and RayJay turbos from back then weren't the best ever. They can be upgraded when rebuilt, which is nice. I just hate when people get salty because they've built something, and call out people who "bolt on" things, when this is actually pretty saavy mechanical work. Don't put people down because they didn't have to visit 30 junkyards to salvage crap from broken, waterlogged cars.
      Dude,

Now I'm confused, what is the system you have? Is it something to control a 5th injector or is it a programmable WUR like UTCIS?

Could you please tell us so that we have to stop guessing?

Did you try this yourself or is it speculation? Are you or someone else selling those if yes how much?

It would be great to have more precise, custom fuel maps with CIS if it's relatively affordable

Cheers

6. 01-06-2012 12:37 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by s2kvondeutschland View Post
      Get over yourself man. This wasn't your thread to start with.

I really appreciate your input however, the pictures and/or diagrams you have posted so far strangely seem to be irrelevant and lacking any technical information?

What the subject of the post again? Was it Turbo on a 87 CIS cabby?, or the sit in basement and look for hours to find g*y a** pictures to post on the Turbo on a 87 CIS cabby? post

Vehicles
      '87 e23 735i, '06 e83 X3 3.0i
      01-06-2012 01:33 PM #42
      ^They see me trollin'^

I'm in for info too. I'd like to put the DX from my cabby into a Jetta. Definitely with a little FI.
      "Zed's dead, baby, Zed's dead."

RooflessVW

Vehicles
      '81 Sportruck
      01-08-2012 12:36 PM #43
      Dude,

Now I'm confused, what is the system you have? Is it something to control a 5th injector or is it a programmable WUR like UTCIS?
      Bingo. And I have yet to use it on a VW, the only experience I've had with it so far was a 964 Turbo. It was a grey market car, and the ONLY thing that my friend could find to make it run correctly. Maps seemed pretty simple, the support pretty strong. And yes, due to class regulations, this was all he could fit.

9. 01-11-2012 09:18 PM #44
      Bingo. And I have yet to use it on a VW, the only experience I've had with it so far was a 964 Turbo. It was a grey market car, and the ONLY thing that my friend could find to make it run correctly. Maps seemed pretty simple, the support pretty strong. And yes, due to class regulations, this was all he could fit.
      Then go see Pelican parts forum, there is a guy from Belgium there I think that is running this on his 930. I think he's had it for like 3-4 years and has done a bunch of maps and different tweaking and stuff.

The only issue I have with UTCIS-V is the price, last I checked, it was something like $699. That's what all my turbo setup cost me.

Sounds like a great product from what I read on the Porsche forums but just a little too rich for me

10. Member
      Vehicles
      '97 Golf (sold), '82 Rabbit 'vert, '92 Jetta VRT, '01 BMW 325i wagon
      01-14-2012 09:39 AM #45
      Then go see Pelican parts forum, there is a guy from Belgium there I think that is running this on his 930. I think he's had it for like 3-4 years and has done a bunch of maps and different tweaking and stuff.

The only issue I have with UTCIS-V is the price, last I checked, it was something like $699. That's what all my turbo setup cost me.

Sounds like a great product from what I read on the Porsche forums but just a little too rich for me
      This. Might as well just go and build a standalone setup for that kind of money. I have no doubts that a MS setup can be put together for less than that and gives you a much cleaner, and far superior system.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      1988 cabriolet
      01-30-2012 03:03 AM #46
      wow......this is one strange how-to/info thread......

and as far as i thought THIS WAS about sourcing parts and building the most efficient and inexpensive turbo setup.

and if done right, which is possible and is far more rewarding than buying some kit, nostalgic or not.......ive done a turbo build on a non turbo car with sourced parts, and i had a great time doing it, a better time driving it, and a hell of a lot more pride in what i'd done....

with that said.....i think we need a car list to find parts from, turbos, cis distributors, piping, intakes......ect....the search if half the fun....

Vehicles
      '89 Cabby ABA/16vT, '98 Cabrio, '94 E420
      01-30-2012 09:10 AM #47
      The car dynoed 212 hp at the wheels, pulled 12.8 at 105 mph on street tires w/ agh 020 tranny.

13. 05-03-2012 12:46 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by mileycyrus View Post
      wow......this is one strange how-to/info thread......

and as far as i thought THIS WAS about sourcing parts and building the most efficient and inexpensive turbo setup.

and if done right, which is possible and is far more rewarding than buying some kit, nostalgic or not.......ive done a turbo build on a non turbo car with sourced parts, and i had a great time doing it, a better time driving it, and a hell of a lot more pride in what i'd done....

with that said.....i think we need a car list to find parts from, turbos, cis distributors, piping, intakes......ect....the search if half the fun....
      Agreed! Let's see a list!

---
      I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?hrjvn1

14. Member
      Vehicles
      1988 cabriolet
      10-02-2012 10:36 AM #49
      bump....

as i think i may have found a cheap turbo/mani combo to start this project......

i havent installed my header yet, been trying to decide weather or not to go turbo, and if i can get this turbo stuff.....that makes up my mind......

id only need a few other things to do this after that....
      dizzy
      piping
      gauges
      vacuum/oil lines
      oil return bung welded.....ect...

Vehicles
      79 Rabbit 2.0l JH/ABA
      10-02-2012 11:27 AM #50
      I love reading about turboing these cars. CIS is the shizznit and I think it would be an amazing system to have with a turbo setup. I love the lack of serious electronics and computers and BS. There is a simplicity to it that follows just a few steps behind diesel to me. Love love love. If it weren't for my current dual downpipe setup and JH/ABA plans, I would have started working on a turbo setup from the start.

I have most of the fueling parts saved up but I would have to wait until I have the appropriate fuel pressure tools for a precise tune and I would love to hold off until I can fab my own manifold. I just keep studying until I get a good welding setup or my N/A ABA starts to feel slow

16. Junior Member Ruthlessone3k's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1987 cabby, 1997 Mustang, 1998 Corsa, 2004 Stratus And some day a 62'-68' drop top Cadillac
      10-02-2012 03:01 PM #51
      +1 for reading maximum boost. Great book

a simple blow through carbed turbo system should work fine.

I'm sure there are better ways to do it. But a blow through carbed system is probably the simplest way to do a cabby. And it should be functional and reliable with the 1.8 as long as you dont push it too hard.

I say give it a shot.

Oops, misread the OP, thought you were trying to go carbed. IDK about with cis, But anything is possible with enough ingenuity (and money)
      Last edited by Ruthlessone3k; 10-04-2012 at 01:12 PM.
      The "B" key is broken on my keyboard, It only works if I press it just right. So if a word doesn't make sense, try adding a "B" and see if that helps.

Vehicles
      87 vw cabriolet/ 2000 vw jetta glx vr6
      10-03-2012 10:01 PM #52
      what would be an estimated price on parts for turbo for cis motor?

18. Junior Member Ruthlessone3k's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1987 cabby, 1997 Mustang, 1998 Corsa, 2004 Stratus And some day a 62'-68' drop top Cadillac
      10-04-2012 01:28 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by oshwass1962 View Post
      what would be an estimated price on parts for turbo for cis motor?
      Your're probably not going to get the answer you want for that question. The price for a setup like that will vary. It is probably going to be a combination of used parts, new parts and fabrication.The type and quality of the setup will also play a major role in the final price, used parts can vary wildy in price as can fabrication services, new parts not so much but they still very depending on what they are. It will also be highly dependent on how much and what you can do yourself. If your tool box consists of a role of duct tape and a can of WD-40, Well lets just say cheap is probably not going to be a good word to describe it. Now if you are one of these guys that already have a lathe and a cnc machine, a lift and the 23bazillion piece snap-on tool chest then things just got a whole lot less costly. But since you are probably somewhere inbetween the two, I'm sure you can see where the price will change depending on where you stand in that range.
      The "B" key is broken on my keyboard, It only works if I press it just right. So if a word doesn't make sense, try adding a "B" and see if that helps.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      10-05-2012 08:53 AM #54
      I still say go put your hands on some early '80s SAAB 900 Turbo CIS bits to make this work the best. Bosch factory produced CIS turbo goodness.

Vehicles
      10-05-2012 10:15 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by YJSAABMAN View Post
      I still say go put your hands on some early '80s SAAB 900 Turbo CIS bits to make this work the best. Bosch factory produced CIS turbo goodness.
      i wish i could find that saab but never the less....oh i did buy the copy of Corky Bell's Maximum Boost and it opend my mind to many things, thanks for the tip, it even helped by friend set up his turbo on his crx
      Whew! that thing is fast even with just 5lbs of boost!

21. Member
      Vehicles
      10-15-2012 11:26 PM #56
      i wish i could find that saab but never the less....oh i did buy the copy of Corky Bell's Maximum Boost and it opend my mind to many things, thanks for the tip, it even helped by friend set up his turbo on his crx
      Whew! that thing is fast even with just 5lbs of boost!

If you'd have been asking this about 3 years ago I may have still had those bits lying around. They certainly aren't as common in the yards as they were 10 years ago, though.

Vehicles
      10-15-2012 11:42 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by YJSAABMAN View Post
      If you'd have been asking this about 3 years ago I may have still had those bits lying around. They certainly aren't as common in the yards as they were 10 years ago, though.
      how is your cabby doing since the last pics you posted? Anything new?

23. 10-16-2012 04:17 PM #58
      I have a question, currently own an 87 cabby 1.8l with cis. I have laying around a set, all 4 pistons from a 2005 gti 1.8t. Would i be able to use those pistons on my motor, to set it up for boost? After all they are both 1.8l motors. I also have the turbo and intercooler.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      10-21-2012 09:58 AM #59
      how is your cabby doing since the last pics you posted? Anything new?
      It's patiently waiting for me to finish prepping it's new home for it. Bought a house, garage floor got epoxy painted last weekend, going to start moving things in today. I've got too many projects, and now I have the house, too!

25. Member
      Vehicles
      10-21-2012 09:59 AM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by TURBOMK1 View Post
      I have a question, currently own an 87 cabby 1.8l with cis. I have laying around a set, all 4 pistons from a 2005 gti 1.8t. Would i be able to use those pistons on my motor, to set it up for boost? After all they are both 1.8l motors. I also have the turbo and intercooler.
      Completely different engines, man. Yes, the same displacement, but that's all they share.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12