Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1969 Volkswagen Beetle W/ Subaru Watercooled Conversion---$5500

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Honda Fit Sport
      12-01-2011 01:01 PM #1
      Posting my project car, would make a great base to finish as you want; all the hard work of the conversion is already done! The car is a rust-free, 3 owner California car. Original floorpans, only 2 very small (4"x4") rust spots in the front wheel wells. The only bondo on the car is in the rear valence, where the car was tapped sometime in the past. I was actually in the process of stripping the aftermarket paint off; the car has only had 1 repaint, and that cream color you see in the pics is the original Toga White. This car doesn't hide anything, no weird bodywork or filler surprises. The body is rust free and original.

-The Engine-
      The car has been converted to water cooled Subaru power. It has a SOHC EJ22 out of a 1990 Legacy, which is rated at 130 hp. The original Subaru EFI system is used, and the computer is mounted in a speaker box on the rear parcel shelf. The custom Afco aluminum radiator is mounted up front where the spare tire sat, and aluminized 1.5" steel tubing carries the water from front to rear. The car uses the stock VW gas tank, with a Bosch electric fuel pump mounted underneath, and custom bent steel fuel lines running back to the engine. I tried to make the conversion as easy to service as possible, so all of the filters and service parts are standard Subaru items. The conversion makes the car very nice to drive; instant starting, smooth idle, and never any stumbles with the EFI. It also has more than enough power to keep up with traffic. The best part, though, is that the car remains stock looking on the outside. Unless you get down on all fours and look underneath, you'd never know there's anything different about the car. The cooling system is solid, and never overheats, even in 110+ temps here in Vegas. Since the engine uses the stock Subaru computer, you also get the benefit of the diagnostic functions of the ECU; the check engine light works in this car just as it did in the original Subaru, and points out any trouble codes for easy repair.

-The Chassis-
      I have converted the car to front discs using a set of Ghia front spindles. While I had the car apart, I also removed and repacked the front and rear wheel bearings, serviced the rear brakes (new shoes and wheel cylinders), replaced the outer tie rod ends, and replaced all four brake hoses. The master cylinder has been recently replaced. After the work, the car had a 4 wheel alignment done. It drives straight and stops well. In the last year, I have also replaced the shocks all around (stock oil filled up front, KYB GR-2s out back). Tires are the stock 165r15 all around, and look nearly new. The spare is a brand new Continental space-saver, stored on top of the gas tank.

-The Good-
      The car has a very straight body, almost no rust, and very few dents. It would be extremely easy to strip it and paint it, as you don't have a lot of bodywork to contend with. The hard part of the conversion is already done. The car runs great, and the electronics (the hardest part of any conversion) have been sorted out. The car never registers any check engine codes, and even passes Nevada smog inspection with no problems.

-The Iffy Parts-
      The car is going to need a transmission at some point. The original transmission works fine, but any 'vigorous' driving with 130hp may break it. It might be best to swap in a built transmission before you get too aggressive with it. As you can see from the pics, the interior is a work in progress, so you'll need to finish it how you like. The car has a perfect original head liner (in white), and also sports the bucket seats out of the donor Subaru, which are very comfy. The tarboard has been stripped off the floor, and the floors painted with heavy duty black paint. The tarboard on the parcel shelf has also been removed, and replaced with a Dynamat-type product. The car is ready for you to install whatever color carpet you like. I can take pics of any additional spots you like, to show that it doesn't have rust problems. The car really is rust free.

-Bottom Line-
      Basically, this is a running, driving project car that is ready to be finished however you like. Lower it, paint it, swap to a different color interior, etc. It's a good base to start with, and the hard part (the Subaru conversion) has already been handled. Plus, since you're starting with a rust free car, you don't have to waste a bunch of time welding in patch panels or doing bodywork.

I have several spare Subaru and VW parts that'll go with the car. I have a clean Nevada title for it, as well as proof that it passes the Nevada smog test. The car is located in Las Vegas.

I am looking to get $5000 OBO for the car + spare parts. Any further questions, please PM me here on the Vortex, or e-mail me at Mooosman@AOL.com. I have many more pics available, or if you want to see a specific area of the car, just ask. Thanks for looking!!!

For more pics of the car and the conversion, go to:

http://s531.photobucket.com/albums/d...oosman/Bugaru/

^^^Yes, those are the original floors. After the tarboard was stripped, they were hit with a wire wheel and then painted.

Thanks for looking!
      Last edited by Mooosman; 12-23-2011 at 05:52 PM.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Honda Fit Sport
      12-23-2011 05:52 PM #2
      Bump for new price...

Vehicles
      63 Beetle Ragtop, 91 GTI VR6, 91 Toyota Corolla Wagon
      12-27-2011 06:41 PM #3
      Would you trade for a glx passat?

http://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/2742627553.html

4. Member
      Vehicles