Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Bluestar Telephone Kit - Installation Instructions

Vehicles
      Supercharged Intercooled 2004 VW Passat V6 30V
      03-02-2012 12:55 PM #101
      This arrived on my bench yesterday. Hope I can start to tinker with it this weekend. Chris says his work on A2DP connection management is almost complete.

2. n00b
      Vehicles
      2004 Phaeton W12, 2003 BMW 325xi, 2004 Phaeton V8 (gift to in-laws)
      03-05-2012 04:15 PM #102
      Very happy with the Bluestar in our W12. It works perfectly. I am very impressed.

I went to Keith Bloom's house last Thursday and he got the wiring switched over in the trunk and did the modification to the OnStar panel up front. He was out of Bluestar units, but he got everything working using the Bluestar unit from his Passat. He offered to give me the unit out of his car, but I had him mail me one after his next shipment arrived later that day. I installed it myself without any difficulty on Sunday. I will order one for my in-laws' Phaeton, and I am sure I will be able to install it myself after having gone through the process once.

Thanks Keith

Vehicles
      03-13-2012 10:34 PM #103
      It works. Been playing with my BlueSTAR VW A2DP all day. Who wants the juice?

Shoot me an email and I'll send you the firmware and text scripts to run on your BlueSTAR VW.

4. 03-18-2012 06:55 PM #104
      Keith,

My name is Jesse, I have been in correspondence with you regarding the Blustar upgrade for my iPhone. Thanks for all the communication.....I understand you have gone through this with several folks here in the forum.

I am looking forward to the conversion to bring my 2004 Phaeton up to date with the cell phone. I just noticed you mentioned the A2DP!!!! its working?

Is it something I should wait for, or should we just go ahead with the conversion now...assuming it could only be a software upgrade I would need?

Thanks again!!

Vehicles
      03-19-2012 04:32 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by JointEffort View Post
      Is it something I should wait for, or should we just go ahead with the conversion now...assuming it could only be a software upgrade I would need?
      No one should be waiting for additional features at this point. The BlueSTARs I have in inventory are A2DP enabled, and all future BlueSTARs will be the A2DP enabled release.

The "who wants the juice" tease was directed mainly at existing BlueSTAR VW owners who need the upgrade sent to them with the flashing instructions. New BlueSTAR VW A2DP purchasers are getting the good stuff right out of the box.

6. 03-19-2012 06:37 PM #106
      Took a trip to Alexandria today and met up with Keith to watch him install my new Bluestar unit. Just started playing with it and am happy to now be able to answer the phone simply by touching the white Onstar button. I am very appreciative of Keith's efforts and willingness to set this up for me. Keith definitely has this setup figured out!! Looking forward to operating SIRI in my now technology modernized Phaeton
      Art

Vehicles
      03-29-2012 09:06 PM #107
      ...but I guess I will for a moment.

For the few of you that have come by and had me install BlueSTARs into your Phaetons directly, most of who have seen the new-in-box Bilstein coil overs in my Passat trunk when I showed you my BlueSTAR installation, and some of who have recently heard my telling of finding the storybook wheels I have been searching for over the last two years.

I finally found a set for sale about four weeks ago. I have since had them completely straightened, restored and refinished, and now they are my summer shoes for the Passat, wrapped in Conti ExCon DW rubber, and pushed down to the pavement by the newly installed Bilstein PSS9s.

I just posted a gallery of photos of my Passat with the long-anticipated goodies installed.

Last edited by keithwbloom; 04-13-2012 at 07:21 PM.

Vehicles
      Member of Le Club 2P: 2005 Coucou Grey W12 5-seater & 2005 Klavierlack Black W12 4-seater Phaetons
      03-30-2012 06:41 AM #108
      Hi Keith,

When I try to check your photos out, I get this:

My guess is that this happens to others also which is why nobody has replied yet.

Victor

Vehicles
      03-30-2012 07:12 AM #109

Vehicles
      Member of Le Club 2P: 2005 Coucou Grey W12 5-seater & 2005 Klavierlack Black W12 4-seater Phaetons
      03-30-2012 12:32 PM #110
      Very cool!

Given your talents, you should really look at joining the Phaeton club. Just think what you could do with a Phaeton. After all, a Passat is just a skinny Phaeton...

Victor

Vehicles
      03-30-2012 02:01 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by Victor R View Post
      Given your talents, you should really look at joining the Phaeton club.
      Perhaps some day. I still very much like to stir my own gearbox. I love getting somewhere aggressively and realizing at the end that I never really had to think about it along the way, the car and I were one machine and we performed in perfect concert.

I do like the Phaetons an awful lot. I might have to try one with paddle shifters...

Keith

Vehicles
      2005 Phaeton V10 swb 4-seat, Jeep Commander Hemi, Ssangyong Korando
      03-30-2012 03:08 PM #112
      Paddles don't really do much for the V10, it doesn't care much which gear it is in...

13. Member
      Vehicles
      May 04 V8
      03-31-2012 04:48 AM #113
      On the contrary, on a V10, paddle shifters would be wonderful to decelerate the car (this is what I use them for on my V8, but the larger torque on the V10 should provide more deceleration when selecting lower gears).

P.

Vehicles
      03-31-2012 05:38 AM #114
      I press the "brake pedal" to brake (see the car manual for details)...

Doesn't the gearbox override the paddles if it thinks it's the wrong gear? I'll try it one day.

CB

15. Member
      Vehicles
      May 04 V8
      03-31-2012 08:01 AM #115
      When you go down a mountain (we recently did it as we came back from a ski resort), constantly applying brakes on our very heavy cars will cause fading, which is something you really don't want to happen when you go down a mountain.

In France, it is part of the official way of driving to engage a lower gear to brake the car on a long slope, for instance, or on the motorway, when approaching a toll. You only press on the brake pedal to stop the car, at the end of the process. To decelerate, you take your foot off the accelerator and get your gearbox in 4th gear, then 3rd, then 2nd then apply the brakes (you usually don't get down to 1st gear because unless you are an expert, you would get quite a jerk).

Not only does this preserves your brake pads, but above all, it prevents brake fading. What is taught in driving schools is that when going down a slope, you should always be in the gear that you would need to use to climb it (if on a very steep slope that would need you to be in second gear to climb it, you are supposed to engage the second gear to climb it down. By doing this, you don't exclusively rely on your brakes).

Once more, it is not me, it is the standard and very official way of driving in France (on motorways with down slopes greater than 3 or 4%, you will see a sign saying "please use your engine brake").

And to answer your last question, gear management is done intelligently on the Phaeton with the paddles: if you engage the 3rd gear, the car will keep it for 15s, I think. However, if you go down a slope and keep using the engine to brake you down, the car will not let go of the 3rd gear. It will stay in 3rd until the engine brake is not needed anymore (could be 10mn).

P.
      Last edited by Zaphh; 03-31-2012 at 08:04 AM.

Vehicles
      03-31-2012 09:44 AM #116
      Ah, I understand, thanks! Not many ski slopes round here, and what 14% slopes there are only run for a few hundred metres.

The XG automatically changes gear to give engine braking on a long incline, I guess the P doesn't...

Cheers,
      Chris

17. Member
      Vehicles
      May 04 V8
      03-31-2012 07:43 PM #117
      Do you mean to say that on your XG, when you put your foot on the brake pedal, the car will start braking by engaging a lower gear and will only use the brake pads if engine braking is not sufficient ???

On the V8 Phaeton with 6 speed transmission, the 6th speed is always engaged. This is not the case on a friend's Volvo T6 where, which, when you lift your foot from the throttle, will declutch (which is much more fuel efficient if going downhill).

Vehicles
      04-01-2012 05:19 AM #118
      Nothng so sophisticated. Going down a slope, the XG detects the relatively high speed and zero throttle/brake acion (or maybe has an inclinometer - but I doubt this), and changes down to 3rd (of 5) gears for engine braking.

It is surprising that the Phaeton does not do this, especially since it has yaw and pitch sensors and knows perfectly well if it is going downhill or not. Maybe it's programmable somehow. I wonder if Michael or someone can ask Dresden if there is some coding change to enable automatic downhill engine braking?

Chris

Vehicles
      04-01-2012 07:44 AM #119
      ...but who's hijacking my thread now?

Vehicles
      04-01-2012 09:45 AM #120
      Keith,

Let's get the thread back on track.

You sent me four files for the A2DP activation. I know what to do with the BES-12-0311.cfw file as this is the firmware flash.

What do I do with the ATT00001 and ATT00002 files and the bluestar-vw-a2dp-init.txt one?

Also, has anyone else here successfully installed this update themselves? If so, could you please post your experience and learnings here?

Thanks,

Victor

Vehicles
      04-01-2012 11:33 AM #121
      Sorry!

CB

Vehicles
      04-01-2012 12:01 PM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by Victor R View Post
      You sent me four files for the A2DP activation. I know what to do with the BES-12-0311.cfw file as this is the firmware flash.

What do I do with the ATT00001 and ATT00002 files and the bluestar-vw-a2dp-init.txt one?
      I am not sure what the ATT00001 and ATT00002 files are, you only need to load the .cfw and then the .txt files using the CPU to enable A2DP profile.

The procedure is as written below:

1. With the unit powered off, unpair the BlueSTAR profile from your phone. On an iPhone, in the bluetooth settings, it is done by telling your phone to "Forget this Device". Turn off your phone.
      2. Boot the CPU software and attach the BlueSTAR to the USB to power it up.
      3. Using CPU, flash the unit to firmware version 12-0311 using the .cfw file.
      4. Turn on your phone and use the bluetooth settings to check the identity the BlueSTAR is transponding but do not pair/connect. For 12-0311 I it should say "BlueSTAR VW A2DP beta" or something like that.
      5. Turn your phone off and disconnect the BlueSTAR from the USB (powering it down).
      6. Reattach the BlueSTAR to the USB to power it up again.
      7. Using CPU, flash the unit one more time with the .txt file. You will be able to load it using CPU if you change the file type selector from .cpf to .txt file. This upgrade will turn the A2DP and ARVCP profiles on and change the transponder ID to "BlueSTAR VW A2DP". You can pair your phone again at this point.
      8. After you have power-cycled your BlueSTAR, use the CPU to check the status, ensuring the volume is set to 8 or 9. When you reinstall it in this state, it should work as before (albeit with the louder default volume).

Keith

Vehicles
      04-07-2012 08:21 AM #123
      Thanks, Keith.

Seems simple enough.

I haven't gotten around to this yet because of many other demands on my time but will post my experience on this after I try this. I am hoping to see others' experience posted also (ideally before I try it myself...).

I wanted to note here, though, just how much this Blustar addition has added to the enjoyment of my Phaetons. I had had CoStar's unit in my Caddy for some time prior, and got spoiled by this. I had had a separate phone number and Nokia phone in the five-seater, but transferring calls back and forth was a pain, the dialing out with the rotary knob on the infotainment system was even more of a pain, and there was an ongoing expense for the additional phone line. Plus, I was SOL on the four-seater as it didn't have the phone package.

Now, things are absolutely seamless. I keep my Android smartphone in my pocket, it automatically gets recognized, I push one easy accessible button on the Onstar console to either answer a call or to simply initiate a voice dial call. Hog Heaven!

I can't thank you enough for this. I know that there are other ways that this functionality could be added to the Phaeton, but these all added more expense and were far less elegant a solution than using the existing, obsolete Onstar system already in the cars.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!!!

Victor

Vehicles
      04-15-2012 08:35 PM #124
      A good many Audi owners may now also be dropping by this thread to review your experiences with your BlueSTARs. A couple of owners have already installed BlueSTARs and they are spreading the word on Audizine an rs6.com. I have been citing the installation posts here as a quick reference for them to get a feel for the ease and simplicity of installation. FWIW, the button controller on the RS6 and S4 is identical to the Phaeton controller, and their Telematics harnesses are also identical (with different color wires) to the Phaeton, Passat and Touaregs.

Thank you everyone for your props here and helping the development and updates of the BlueSTAR for VW.

I installed another BlueSTAR locally into a Phaeton Saturday. Welcome Willie! Should I get us a tee time at ANCC soon?

Vehicles
      05-15-2012 12:53 PM #125
      I happened by my local VW dealer today and saw them dragging away a 2004 Phaeton that had been declared totaled by the insurance company from electrical issues related to water ingress. Sad to see an otherwise beautiful car relegated to the salvage yards, but my service advisor said that the insurance company finally called it quits after $10K in repair attempts.

Whoever was the unfortunate owner, I do hope you will find a replacement soon.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast