Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bluestar Telephone Kit - Installation Instructions

Vehicles
      Black 2006 Phaeton V10 TDi, Black 2005 V10 TDi LWB, Laser Blue Golf 2.0 GT TDi
      08-25-2012 02:37 PM #141
      Keith,

did we get anywhere with the possibility of adapting the Euro spec vehicles with integrated nokia handset?

Stu
      Member of Le Club 2P

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Phaeton V8
      08-25-2012 09:42 PM #142
      I will be installing the bluestar solution from Keith in the very near future and will be running a thin headphone wire from the trunk area to an adapter in the glove box. I am looking for ideas on how to route the cable. I have recently received the VW maintenance CD to tell me how to remove things like the seats and such.

TIA,
      Geiger

Vehicles
      Supercharged Intercooled 2004 VW Passat V6 30V
      08-31-2012 05:29 PM #143

Vehicles
      Phaeton 2005 W12 Luna Blue with Sonnen Beige
      08-31-2012 08:42 PM #144
      Quote Originally Posted by GeigerVW View Post
      I will be installing the bluestar solution from Keith in the very near future and will be running a thin headphone wire from the trunk area to an adapter in the glove box. I am looking for ideas on how to route the cable. I have recently received the VW maintenance CD to tell me how to remove things like the seats and such.

TIA,
      Geiger
      Must you really remove the seats? Couldn't you somehow route the wire along the edge under the rocker panels and carpet?

Regards,
      Ron M.
      "The main difference between a VW Phaeton and something like the S-Class, both of which are very large, very advanced German automobiles, is that one seems like a pitiless cyborg, while the other, dare I say, has soul." - Justin Couture - Automobile.com review (http://www.auto123.com/en/volkswagen/phaeton/2006/review?carid=1066301001&artid=58804)

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Phaeton V8
      09-01-2012 10:06 AM #145
      Quote Originally Posted by remrem View Post
      Must you really remove the seats? Couldn't you somehow route the wire along the edge under the rocker panels and carpet?

Regards,
      Ron M.
      I am planning to route it along the rocker panels, but if someone had already done something similar, I was hoping for insight.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 VW P W12 LWB, 2006 VW T V8 OP5, 2008 smart FT i3 Cabrio
      09-25-2012 11:36 AM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by Itzmann View Post
      Just a quick note to report that the BlueStar kit for Phaeton with sw version 12-0311 works... W O N D E R F U L L Y and that this is a recommended mod for all 2004-2005 Phaetons with OnStar.

Combined with iPhone (and Siri) this is a very powerful combo. No, it will not (without additional wiring) play music, but it is a superb handsfree calling solution while retaining 100% OEM looks.

Another quick note to report that the BluesStar kit for Phaeton with sw version 12-0311 made the transition to iPhone OS 6.0 with no issues.

Furthermore, I've experienced several Bluetooth handsfree devices and BlueStar is one of the fastest to pick up calls (i.e., from the moment the iPhone detects a call to the moment the Phaeton speaker starts ringing) and to identify that a call has ended (if due to AT&T network failure) and go back to regular audio. The BlueStar certainly is much, much faster than the Parrot Mki9200 in our Touareg, for instance.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Phaeton V8 Mirror Silver, 2006 Touareg V10 TDI Off-Road Grey, 2008 Diamond DA40 XLS (airplane)
      10-06-2012 10:52 PM #147
      I'm still very much enjoying the BlueStar in our Phaeton. Making/receiving phone calls and of course talking to Siri hands free on my iPhone 4S work great.

But Apple screwed up with the way they support Bluetooth with the new IOS 6 Maps app. The good news is that if you want to hear the new turn-by-turn directions supported by Maps, you can tell Maps to send the audio via Bluetooth to the BlueStar, rather than out of the iPhone's little speaker.

But the bad news is that Apple chose the A2DP Bluetooth profile for turn-by-turn audio. This means that unless you've run a stereo cable from the BlueStar unit in the Phaeton's trunk to connect to the glovebox CD changer input (as I suspect very few Phaeton owners have done yet), you won't hear any turn-by-turn directions.

And even if you do eventually run the cable, it means that you can't listen to the Phaeton's radio while also listening for occasional turn-by-turn directions. Note that this problem applies to ALL cars with Bluetooth, not just a Phaeton with BlueStar. The fix is for Apple to have turn-by-turn direction audio use the same non-A2DP Bluetooth profile used by Siri and phone calls, so that directions will temporarily interrupt music/talk on the radio. (And you won't need to run the cable in your Phaeton.)

Just one more annoyance of Apple's immature new Maps app on IOS 6...

- Dave
      Last edited by uberanalyst; 10-06-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Vehicles
      Member of Le Club 2P: 2005 Coucou Grey W12 5-seater & 2005 Klavierlack Black W12 4-seater Phaetons
      10-06-2012 11:18 PM #148
      Those of us with Android phones are enjoying the Bluestar as well, with no gripes I can think of.

Victor

Vehicles
      01-04-2013 11:04 AM #149
      BlueSTAR II r.5 is now shipping, with better noise cancelling components, and a of course the fully operational A2DP stereo out capability.

For A2DP connectivity, the auto-sensing source switch is sadly no longer available from LogJam, however another Vortexer (a GTI owner) with a BlueSTAR has located the same product sold by another retailer. If it piques your interest, here's a link.

On a humorous note: I have become quite fond of receiving text messages from my 6-year-old daughter on my wife's iPad or iPhone and having Siri read them aloud. I get a chuckle when Siri's voice says "when are you coming back with lunch, Daddy?"

Here's to everyone is riding and dialing and getting things done with safety and comfort in your Phaetons using BlueSTAR this year!

Cheers!

Keith
      Last edited by keithwbloom; 01-04-2013 at 11:14 AM.

10. 01-04-2013 01:24 PM #150
      Keith, is this new hardware or software? I'm currently having trouble getting people at the other end to hear me.

11. 02-27-2013 10:34 AM #151
      Hi
      My bluestar system has gone nonresponsive. There is just a blinking green light. Is there a way to reset?

-Paul

12. 02-27-2013 11:30 AM #152
      Have you tried re-pairing? Blinking green means it's trying to connect to the phone.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      3x2005 V8 Phaetons, 1x4, 2x5, Paddles, Keyless Start, Wooden steering, Bentley 19", Euro mods
      02-27-2013 12:12 PM #153
      Keith

How much would it cost to upgrade to the BlueSTAR II r.5

What is involved if you have the older version.

Steve
      Steve
      Philadelphia

Vehicles
      02-28-2013 06:37 AM #154
      Quote Originally Posted by steveskinr View Post
      Keith

Steve
      Haven't explored this. Let me ask Chris if new flash will work on earlier BlueSTARs for VW. Else it would be a hardware swap.

FWIW, the new version of the Costar Programming Utility is easier to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      02-28-2013 06:40 AM #155
      Quote Originally Posted by invisiblewave View Post
      Keith, is this new hardware or software? I'm currently having trouble getting people at the other end to hear me.
      Sorry so long to respond to this. Have you checked your setup with CPU?

16. 02-28-2013 09:28 AM #156
      Quote Originally Posted by keithwbloom View Post
      Sorry so long to respond to this. Have you checked your setup with CPU?

Yes, the new version works. What's the best setting for the mic gain?

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2005 v8 Phaeton
      03-11-2013 10:45 PM #157
      Anyone try this kit yet. I was told by Enfig car stereo that this is the kit that will allow you to tap the cd player and bluetooth the phone with A2DP functions. Only $155.00 plus $30 for the AUD2-TO-VWT cable.

Best Buy will install it for $50.

I'll let you know how it goes.
      Ernie O.

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Phaeton V8, 1985 Mercedes 300SD California Emissions
      03-11-2013 11:33 PM #158
      Quote Originally Posted by ernieo View Post
      Anyone try this kit yet. I was told by Enfig car stereo that this is the kit that will allow you to tap the cd player and bluetooth the phone with A2DP functions. Only $155.00 plus $30 for the AUD2-TO-VWT cable.
      ErnieO,

Was a link supposed to be attached to the "this kit"?

Did I simply miss it?

-Brian

19. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2005 v8 Phaeton
      03-12-2013 07:25 AM #159
      http://enfigcarstereo.com/DENSION_GBL3AU2.html

Here's the the link to the Bluetooth conversion. I am sending them my ashtray to see if their ashtray's are compatible with mine so that the installation is perfect.

20. 03-13-2013 04:32 PM #160
      just catching up w/ this thread. I've been happy with my dice ipod connector (from enfig) and my $40 diy bluetooth solution (thanks to dlouie) installed in 2008 - but the connection has become a bit tempermental.

is the new enfig module the most cost effective bt phone option?

Vehicles
      03-13-2013 10:13 PM #161

Best Buy will install it for $50.

I'll let you know how it goes.
      Ernie O.
      This thread is for BlueStar II conversion for the Phaeton OE Onstar telematics system. If you want to discuss other Bluetooth options, please start a comparison thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Vehicles
      03-14-2013 10:00 AM #162
      Quote Originally Posted by steveskinr View Post
      Keith

Steve
      Chris is sending me technical specs on a component swap I can perform to upgrade your BlueSTAR units to have additional attenuation included in r5. I will update after I have some time to review and digest info. My plan would be to perform this upgrade on UberAnalyst's unit and if successful, I will roll out offering to all of the initial BlueSTAR for VW adopters.

Last edited by keithwbloom; 03-14-2013 at 10:03 AM.

23. 03-14-2013 02:36 PM #163
      "This thread is for BlueStar II conversion for the Phaeton OE Onstar telematics system. If you want to discuss other Bluetooth options, please start a comparison thread."

Keith.. just for clarification...the sole purpose of this thread to help you sell your product to phaeton owners... and I cannot ask questions regarding other options.

Is that the message that you sending?

Vehicles
      Member of Le Club 2P: 2005 Coucou Grey W12 5-seater & 2005 Klavierlack Black W12 4-seater Phaetons
      03-14-2013 03:24 PM #164
      phaetonenvy,

There are inumerable threads on the forum on adding a bluetooth to the Phaeton.

Here are a few:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...e-Installation
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...eton-Bluetooth
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...n-for-Phaetons

If you look at the table of contents, there are many threads listed there as well.

In the first post on this thread, Keith notes:
      I am starting this thread to de-clutter the "Enabling Bluetooth Control of Cell Phone via OnStar buttons using 'Costar' module" discussion thread that was compiled during the development and testing phase of a VW Bluestar solution for Phaetons.
      I can understand how he feels when this thread was hijacked. I believe that this accounts for his post.

I also want to go on record that Keith's clever modification, which has added immeasurably to my own enjoyment of the Phaeton, uses a product made by CoStar Technology. Keith's modifications that allow this product to work with our Phaetons was supplied by him at a nominal cost. He is not "selling" his product here.

There were many places on the forum where you could discuss the enfig option; there are threads touting the benefit of other enfig mods. You chose to post on this thread instead, which is your right, but in the process hijacked the thread. When called on this, you attack the motivations of the person calling you out.

In my opinion, your comments are way out of line.

Victor

Vehicles
      04 V8 Phaeton, 2010 BMW 528 m std, 04 VW Passat 1.8t std, 85 Yahmaha VMAX, 08 Suzuki M109R.
      03-26-2013 01:45 PM #165
      Quote Originally Posted by Victor R View Post
      phaetonenvy,

There are inumerable threads on the forum on adding a bluetooth to the Phaeton.

Here are a few:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...e-Installation
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...eton-Bluetooth
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...n-for-Phaetons

If you look at the table of contents, there are many threads listed there as well.

In the first post on this thread, Keith notes:

I can understand how he feels when this thread was hijacked. I believe that this accounts for his post.

I also want to go on record that Keith's clever modification, which has added immeasurably to my own enjoyment of the Phaeton, uses a product made by CoStar Technology. Keith's modifications that allow this product to work with our Phaetons was supplied by him at a nominal cost. He is not "selling" his product here.

There were many places on the forum where you could discuss the enfig option; there are threads touting the benefit of other enfig mods. You chose to post on this thread instead, which is your right, but in the process hijacked the thread. When called on this, you attack the motivations of the person calling you out.

In my opinion, your comments are way out of line.

Victor
      Keith, keep up the great work!

Vehicles
      2005 Phaeton V10 swb 4-seat, Jeep Commander Hemi, Ssangyong Korando
      03-26-2013 03:23 PM #166
      Folks, let us keep up our usual high levels of courtesy and cheerfulness. There was one post by a very new forum member, who had only been with us for four days, on the subject of Bluetooth hardware, which is what this thread covers.

If the diversion had been over meeting up for a coffee to discuss Bluetooth no-one would have blinked an eye. This is a friendly discussion forum with high standards of personal interaction, where no-one 'owns' a thread (with the possible exception of sponsors who help pay for the show).

It is quite fair to request to start a different thread for the different Bluetooth hardware from that named in the title, but the first post was 5 pages back.

Chris

Vehicles
      03-26-2013 08:41 PM #167
      Quote Originally Posted by phaetonenvy View Post
      Keith.. just for clarification...the sole purpose of this thread to help you sell your product to phaeton owners... and I cannot ask questions regarding other options.

Is that the message that you sending?
      Not at all. But the focus of this thread has always been to bring clarity to the process of the BlueSTAR installation, since it is not something you can purchase from, and have installed by, a Best Buy.

Since I do not personally have a Phaeton, many who have purchased and installed one of my GM BlueSTAR adaptations for their Phaetons have posted their discoveries and helpful tips from an owner/installer perspective.

In turn, I have provided installations for several local Phaeton-philes, and whenever possible, have further documented the more difficult aspects of the installation here. And I have continued to use this thread over the last two years to answer questions from owner/installers about installation process or accessory options.

So my request was merely an effort to promote focus and maintain clarity as well as in the interest of helping your question reach a broader audience in an alternate, more appropriately titled discussion thread.

I received a second question about the system you mentioned via PM on another forum (Audizine, S4 and RS6 owners love Their BlueSTARs.) If you do get a conversation going about Enfig components, I would be curious to learn more about how they could possibly work in parallel with the BlueSTAR module's capabilities.

Good luck with your research. In the end, if you decide you want a BlueSTAR for your Phaeton, come back around and look me up.

Regards,

Keith

28. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2005 v8 Phaeton
      04-05-2013 08:50 PM #168
      Got my unit today. Great turn around time from Keith, (Friday to Friday). It took about 40 min to install. Not a bad install, just some delicate wires with very small printing.

-When I make a call, the other end can not hear me.
      - Can't get the iPhone to stream through the car. It show the car as an option, but when selected, no sound comes out of the car, but does continue through the phones speakers
      - Can't hear anything through the car, it's as though the unit is being blocked out from the phone. Only when I turn off the Bluetooth on the phone does the unit return sound from the stereo.

Any one got any ideas?

Ernie O

29. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 VW P W12 LWB, 2006 VW T V8 OP5, 2008 smart FT i3 Cabrio
      04-06-2013 07:19 AM #169
      - Can't get the iPhone to stream through the car. It show the car as an option, but when selected, no sound comes out of the car, but does continue through the phones speakers

It has been pointed out before, quite a few times in these threads, that the original Bluestar Telephone Kit is for hands-free phoning only and that no audio streaming is possible.

Ours still works perfectly every time, iPhone 5, well over a year after it was installed.

30. 04-06-2013 09:30 AM #170
      If it's a newer unit, it should do streaming. I've had mine installed for quite a while and it does A2DP just fine, although the sound output is mono due to car limitations.

Have you tried anything other than an iPhone? My installation didn't work initially, but after looking closely at the wires I think I had two of them mixed up.

31. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2005 v8 Phaeton
      04-06-2013 10:53 AM #171
      Will check the wires again. As for the unit, I assume its a new unit, as I just received it yesterday. By new, I mean with the latest upgraded software.

Still don't understand what needs to be selected in order for it to stream audio?

Also, why the car stereo is muted, even if the phone is not in use or the phones music is not selected.

32. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Phaeton V8
      04-06-2013 12:06 PM #172
      Got my unit today. Great turn around time from Keith, (Friday to Friday). It took about 40 min to install. Not a bad install, just some delicate wires with very small printing.

-When I make a call, the other end can not hear me.
      Ernie,

I have the same problem. Everything works except the microphone part.

I can hear perfectly, no one can hear me. I push the voice command on my phone and the acknowledgement beep comes through the radio, but the mike is not operational for me to issue commands. We have been in the trunk so many times to get this to work and rechecked and reseated the wires over 20 times at this point. I loved the idea but now feel it was a waste of money and time. The last thing I can think of is to make the 800 mile round trip to Virginia and give Keith a chance to figure it out. That will be a very pricey additional cost on top of what I have already spent.

Geiger

33. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2005 v8 Phaeton
      04-06-2013 12:57 PM #173
      Quote Originally Posted by invisiblewave View Post
      If it's a newer unit, it should do streaming. I've had mine installed for quite a while and it does A2DP just fine, although the sound output is mono due to car limitations.
      So you are able to stream mono audio from your iphone through the head unit, out the car speakers without having to run an aux wire from the back of your car to the front, disconnecting the cd player, finding the 3 wires that create sound and ground, splitting them and attaching the aux cable to them?

And what do you select on your head unit in order to do this, the CD player, any disc?

Ernie O.
      Last edited by ernieo; 04-06-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Vehicles
      04-06-2013 01:39 PM #174
      Any chance you guys damaged/disconnected the microphone when taking out and or reinstalling the head unit? If everything else works, that would seem the most likely explanation to me.

Victor

Vehicles
      2004/Phaeton:01/300m special
      04-06-2013 10:56 PM #175
      hello all;

i have a question about the bluestar ...i recently purchased the kit from...keith and installation went good but i have no sound from the kit in the car..it syncs fine with my phone and the buttons on the onstar work like they should but my car does not recognize the system..the infotainment system doesnot even display phone in the dash..nore can i control the volume from the steering wheel...i check all the settings on the blue star unit..via my pc and volume is maxed....the bluestar can make and receive calls to my car but i have no sound in the car and my radio does not change when their is an incomig call...any ideas or suggetions........i am going to run a diagnostic with my vag-com to see if any faults..with the telematics..but any suggestions would be greatful

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast