VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Did Hyundai lie again?

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      12-09-2011 02:54 PM #141
      Here's another "From the WTF Files" with my 2.0t:

I just did another tank (420 miles) with about 60% highway cruising at 65 - 70 mph and the rest city. The overly optimistic trip/mpg computer ranged anywhere from 38mpg after I filled up on November 26 (cruising down I-40E at 70mph) to around 28mpg when I was driving around in the city.

Finally, the computer had settled in on 30.1 mpg by the time I pulled into the gas station. I filled up the tank, did the calculations and actually got 25.94mpg.

WTF?
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

Vehicles
      2010 DSG GTI APR STG1
      12-09-2011 03:03 PM #142
      Quote Originally Posted by Bones_Jones View Post
      my genny gets about 20-23. my santa fe gets 18-20. about 60% city drive. in chicago.
      I was getting 23 with mine also, and that number didn't ever really go up with extended highway time

not that that has anything to do with the elantra, since they aren't even built on the same continent.

I'm starting to wonder if ethanol has a lot to do with the deviations from these numbers. I really fail to see the point in adding 10% ethanol to gasoline when it consistently nets 10%ish lower mileage.

3. 12-09-2011 03:09 PM #143
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Looking at how much he drives I assume he is some type of courier or travels by car as a career. He seems upset because his 40 MPG rated Veloster cannot beat the fuel economy of his prior 35 MPG rated Elantra.
      It appears other Veloster owners in that thread report 40mpg or higher is easily attainable.

Who knows, YMMV?

Back in the summer, I had piloted a Taurus in mixed driving conditions @ 22mpg. Months later, another Taurus came into my possession and within relatively similar courses, 17mpg.
      Last edited by joe97; 12-09-2011 at 03:13 PM.

12-09-2011 03:29 PM #144
      Quote Originally Posted by joe97 View Post
      It appears other Veloster owners in that thread report 40mpg or higher is easily attainable.

Who knows, YMMV?

Back in the summer, I had piloted a Taurus in mixed driving conditions @ 22mpg. Months later, another Taurus came into my possession and within relatively similar courses, 17mpg.
      But coming back to the point some people have an expection if they trade in for a more fuel efficient car it will give them better fuel economy in any situation.

If I drive my 2006 Elantra at 70 MPH on the highway and get 38 MPG I would be uspet if my new Veloster only manages 34 MPG doing the same.

My CR-Z if more fuel efficient than my Civic. It it wasn't I would have been pretty pissed.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      specialized hardrock 29
      12-09-2011 03:45 PM #145
      But coming back to the point some people have an expection if they trade in for a more fuel efficient car it will give them better fuel economy in any situation.

If I drive my 2006 Elantra at 70 MPH on the highway and get 38 MPG I would be uspet if my new Veloster only manages 34 MPG doing the same.

My CR-Z if more fuel efficient than my Civic. It it wasn't I would have been pretty pissed.
      he has a right to be p!ssed, but he shouldn't. his veloster is getting a decent mileage. not great, but 34mpg really isn't that bad in winter.

he basically overachieved with his last gen elantra(is it a last gen elantra? ). that's a great number he is getting for a car that is rated 33mpg highway later upgraded to 34mpg.

12-09-2011 03:47 PM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by Bones_Jones View Post
      he has a right to be p!ssed, but he shouldn't. his veloster is getting a decent mileage. not great, but 34mpg really isn't that bad in winter.

he basically overachieved with his last gen elantra(is it a last gen elantra? ). that's a great number he is getting for a car that is rated 33mpg highway later upgraded to 34mpg.
      I assume it must be a last generation Elantra since he mentioned an EPA highway rating of 34 MPG.

I assume that by upping the bar to near unrealistic expactions automakers are going to have some troubles with consumer expectations going forward. Hyundai will get the spotlight because the company puts more of an emphasis on 40 MPG! 40 MPG! 40 MPG! than anyone else.

7. 12-09-2011 03:56 PM #147

Fair point

I don't think the OP had mentioned 4G Elantra or 34 hwy mpg outright. The purchase date does coincide with the commencement period of the 5G sale date, if I am not mistaken about the US availability.

Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      12-09-2011 04:17 PM #148
      I assume that by upping the bar to near unrealistic expactions automakers are going to have some troubles with consumer expectations going forward. Hyundai will get the spotlight because the company puts more of an emphasis on 40 MPG! 40 MPG! 40 MPG! than anyone else.
      Unless they match them, of course. I've yet to have trouble matching Ford's claimed figures in their press loaners.

For what it's worth, I have a Kia Optima Hybrid coming my way in a couple of weeks.
      Looking for a ratty Miata? My '90 is for sale.
      http://www.speedsportlife.com
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      4+ pages and at least 1 death threat in a compact-car comparison test thread - oh wait, this is TCL.

9. 12-23-2011 10:45 AM #149
      HYUNDAI LIES AGAIN!!

CPI is YEH on Acurazine and elsewhere a well known Troll that works for Hyundai Marketing

http://zdx.acurazine.com/forums/member.php?u=268004

http://www.genesisowners.com/hyundai...mber.php?u=514

The Hyundai forums figured out this person is Agnes Yeh that works for Hyundai's marketing department since CPI/Yeh was telling Genesis owners every problem they complained about was wrong.

http://www.genesisowners.com/hyundai...?t=8491&page=4

Vehicles
      02 BMW 325 / 97 Jetta/ 2012 Acura TSX wagon / 2007 Trailblazer SS
      12-23-2011 11:26 AM #150
      Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHarris View Post
      HYUNDAI LIES AGAIN!!

CPI is YEH on Acurazine and elsewhere a well known Troll that works for Hyundai Marketing

The Hyundai forums figured out this person is Agnes Yeh that works for Hyundai's marketing department since CPI/Yeh was telling Genesis owners every problem they complained about was wrong.

DOH!

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      12-23-2011 02:29 PM #151
      HYUNDAI LIES AGAIN!!

pwned!
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

Vehicles
      02 BMW 325 / 97 Jetta/ 2012 Acura TSX wagon / 2007 Trailblazer SS
      12-23-2011 03:09 PM #152
      if this is part of her job discription then shame on Hynudai.

13. 12-23-2011 05:40 PM #153
      HYUNDAI LIES AGAIN!!

I can't figure out if you're 1sick (again) or one of the disgruntled posters over on acurazine.

Being a "troll" is news to me and the mods over at acurazine (funny how I get along with them just fine - a couple even thanking me for my input).

And this is no secret, 1sick had already pointed out by debates over on Acurazine, but note how he was the one who had been banned and not me.

Now, the actual troll on acurazine is SSFTSX which pretty much every makes fun of, but there are a few others like Invisible who don't care for me b/c they have lost out on debates.

For example, I stated that the Venza should really be included w/ sales of the Camry if the Crosstour sales is to be included w/ that for the Accord.

Invisible and a few others claimed that I was totally wrong due to naming and the Venza and Camry being totally diff., but they had no explanation for the Corolla and the Corolla Matrix, Elantra and the Elantra Touring, etc.

And as it turned out, Honda eventually dropped the Accord moniker from the Crosstour.

As for the Genesis forum, I argued w/ one Genesis owner who kept repeating that R-Spec was "overly harsh" based on one review even tho he had never driven the R-Spec himself and other reviews varied on the ride.

Plus, none of the R-Spec owners really had any issue with the ride, unlike that of the 2009 Genesis which a no. of owners had issue with the ride due to the dampening level and the crappy OEM Dunlops (the latter which I had no issue with).

Also, I'm male, so I don't think my parent would ever name me Agnes (btw, even for a woman, not exactly what I would hope my parents would have named me).

And I tell the good and bad on both the acurazine and the genesis forum, I have stated many a time how the interior of the Genesis is lacking in design and how I particular dislike the center stack, steering wheel and gauge cluster; same goes for the dash of the Equus for which I have also stated (what I always state) that the exterior is a bit of a bore as well.

So thanks for your [failed] attempt at character assassination, but try getting your facts right next time.

Btw, if I anything, I should be regarded as "marketing" for Kia, not Hyundai (better exterior design and better tuning).

I have always been critical of the overstyling Hyundai has done (esp. up front) and not a fan of their propensity to tune their steering for mall market lot maneuvers rather than for winding roads, not to mention their use of "silver" plastic which I absolutely hate (remember me getting flack for criticizing the silver center stack on the Veloster?).

I don't think the higher-ups at Hyundai would be happy that I consider Kia's products to be better.
      Last edited by CP1; 12-23-2011 at 05:47 PM.
      Why you wouldn’t (buy an Optima SX):

Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      - LeftLaneNews

Vehicles
      Truck that runs on smug fuel
      12-23-2011 05:45 PM #154
      Stop, just stop.

You've been found out. You've gotten completely shat on by the Internet. Give up. Gtfo TCL

15. Social Media Iron Man(and Administrator) jebglx's Avatar
      VWvortex Fourtitude SpeedArena Swedespeed
      Vehicles
      2007 VW GTI 5DR
      12-23-2011 05:48 PM #155
      Quote Originally Posted by AutoUnion32 View Post
      Stop, just stop.

You've been found out. You've gotten completely shat on by the Internet. Give up. Gtfo TCL
      i suggest you follow your own advice & stop trolling

this thread is done

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345