Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Project: Please don't scrap me

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1981 Jetta 16v ITB/CIS, 1982 Jetta ABA Turbo, 1977 Scirocco pile
      12-04-2011 08:27 PM #1
      this isn't the Scirocco forum, and I'll post it there, but I figure i'll get more attention if i put it here too

I picked up a 1977 Scirocco, with CIS (first year!)
      I think the original colour is gold, but it was reprayed a factory blue colour at some point in it's life (probably at the same time it got the custom seats)
      the previous owner had it up for sale for quite some time with no bites, lowering the price more and more until he was forced to put it up at scrap value after his wife gave an ultimatum, hehe. I've always wanted a scirocco, and not wanting to see an early scirocco get eaten up, especially one with such a good body, I jumped at the occasion
      the only problem was it was a long ways away, on Vancouver Island (while I'm on the mainland, near Vancouver BC) so i had to figure out some way of transporting it the 150 km to a storage spot at y grandparent's house (also a temporary spot)
      luckily my grandparent's neighbour and long time family friend stepped in and said we could use his truck and trailer for the price of fuel
      So I went out this weekend on the first boat over (at 6:30 AM, after coming home from a concert the night before at 4 AM) and picked up the car
      anyway, you all want to see photos

the car as I found it in the PO's garage

loaded up

at it's new temporary home at my grandparent's farm

some cool bits

clock & battery

weird custom seats, the dash is complete but it needs a lot of work (another PO trued fixing the cracks with body filler )

some mint extra turn signals

boxes o' parts

stainless trim

CIS basic motor

an extra carb'd motor (with what looks like a weber?)

chrome handles and mirrors

solid body, just a bit on the driver's door

old school EGR timer

and all tucked up until I can see it again

So obviously it's in pretty bad disrepair. the car is more or less complete, except for a few things like rear corner signals & front fenders. the windshield was cracked when it was attempted to be removed, unfortunately, but the seal is still good. a few seals need to be replaced. it doesn't have carpet
      and because I've already got my hands full with an ABA turbo jetta project, and this car is currently being stored a boat and 4 hours away from me, it's definitely going to be a loooooong term project. it might get a little faster once I can find a spot on this side of the water for it, though.

does anyone have any idea what the balls this thing is?
      I can't find a part # anywhere, but it says "Germany" on it. is it some kind of emissions air pump or something?

you might see more of an update on this thing come christmas time, when i'll be around it for break
      Last edited by ArsenicPants; 12-04-2011 at 08:34 PM.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      McCaddy
      12-04-2011 08:32 PM #2
      looks like a load of work!

this will be fun though

Vehicles
      2002 Forester S, 1987 GTI 16v
      12-04-2011 09:10 PM #3
      That is definitely not a WUR...never seen anything like it before.
      Fick Deps?, Get Deb!

Vehicles
      a couple o dubs
      12-04-2011 09:36 PM #4
      So glad this got saved..... I was trying to find a way to get it to Alberta.
      I have some parts as spares if you are interested. and that last part looks like it could be a water pump of some sort
      Its hard to make a comeback if you've never left

Bad Pennies......We turn up everywhere!!!

Vehicles
      84 Rabbit GTi - Lola
      12-04-2011 09:43 PM #5
      that part looks like a crazy old version of a vacuum amplifier - smog stuff.
      Ich meinen VW
      Fender Roller for rent in Eagle Rock/Pasadena/Glendale Area - IM me for details.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      12-04-2011 10:51 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by etta gli View Post
      That's the only thing I could even think of with the inlet/outlet + bolting

Well it has an inlet and an outlet, and it's round
      -what does it bolt to
      -does the dark center part rotate?

now I'm just curious and bored
      ya, it's definitely not for fuel, the in and out are way too big for fuel
      it was just sitting in the rain tray, i think it was bolted to the carb motor though; you can see the bracket for the alternator also has a spot below for something else. and ya, the triangle thing is where a pulley gets bolted to
      so i'd imagine it's a carb only smog sort of thing, along with the venting pipe that runs along the bottom of the head

Quote Originally Posted by LubsDaDubs View Post
      So glad this got saved..... I was trying to find a way to get it to Alberta.
      I have some parts as spares if you are interested. and that last part looks like it could be a water pump of some sort
      thanks man
      ya, i just couldn't stand to see it destroyed
      i think the biggest reason no one stepped up to it was that it was in a small town across the ocean. i'll get it to the mainland and at least if I can't finish it someone else more than likely will
      I'll be in touch with you about those parts. do you have any early fenders?

Vehicles
      82 Rabbit Pickup / 96 Golf(Parting out)/91 Jetta GLi
      12-05-2011 05:01 AM #7
      I'm thinking power steering pump.

8. 12-05-2011 05:01 AM #8
      what are your plans for the interior

9. Member
      Vehicles
      1980 Rabbit "C" two door, 5spd malagda red, 1986 Vanagon Westfalia auto, 2013 VW Golf TDI Wagon 6spd
      12-05-2011 08:50 PM #9
      "does anyone have any idea what the balls this thing is?
      I can't find a part # anywhere, but it says "Germany" on it. is it some kind of emissions air pump or something?"

That "thing" is an air pump. If you look on the carb'd motor at the front, under the spark plugs, you'll see four little nozzles bolted into the cylinder head and copper tubing coming from the nozzles. The air pump was hooked up to those and run by the alternator/water pump belt. The purpose was to put a bit more air into the motor so the emissions were lower.

That car looks to be older than a 77. It has the gear shift selector pattern on the ash tray and the chrome door handles and mirrors. That puts it as early 76 or late 75. Have you had a look at the VIN?

Chris

10. 12-05-2011 09:41 PM #10
      is this the rocco that was on dubberz?..

11. Member
      Vehicles
      12-06-2011 02:57 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by mafosta View Post
      what are your plans for the interior
      I plan on going back to stock. apparently the dash is out of a later car, since it has the woodgrain trim, and the seats should be the tombstone style
      it will be simple, no recaros or a roll cage or anything crazy

Quote Originally Posted by chrissev2 View Post
      That car looks to be older than a 77. It has the gear shift selector pattern on the ash tray and the chrome door handles and mirrors. That puts it as early 76 or late 75. Have you had a look at the VIN?

Chris
      like i mentioned just above, the dash is from a later car, so the ash tray could be from another car entirely. same with the handles. it looks like the car was mildly customized at some point in it's life. not customized very well though
      I didn't have a look at the VIN, I will at Christmas time when i see the car next though

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianCabby View Post
      is this the rocco that was on dubberz?..
      it is! the PO also has a red '76 that's up for sale. it's much more complete but has rust and some other issues

as far as the motor goes I'd really like to do dual sidedraft webers on a nicely ported 16v ABA
      keep it old school, but a little updated

Vehicles
      A bunch of rusty Kraut cans
      12-06-2011 06:12 PM #12
      it is a smog pump I had several early roccos with that. The carbed motors had a wierd pipe that ran along the bottom front side of the head and pumped air into or out of the head not sure which

Vehicles
      A bunch of rusty Kraut cans
      12-06-2011 06:13 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by rabbitinfife View Post
      it is a smog pump I had several early roccos with that. The carbed motors had a wierd pipe that ran along the bottom front side of the head and pumped air into or out of the head not sure which
      In fact the picture you posted of that carb motor has the pipe I'm talking about

14. Member
      Vehicles
      1980 Rabbit "C" two door, 5spd malagda red, 1986 Vanagon Westfalia auto, 2013 VW Golf TDI Wagon 6spd
      12-07-2011 12:11 PM #14
      RE: Vin: the VIN on a scirocco will start with the numbers "53" (pre 1980). The third number is the year. So on a 1979 Scirocco the VIN will start with "539" with the "9" being the year of manufacture. The cars were often manufactured one year and sold the next, so you will find a 1977 build year Scirocco having been sold and registered as a 1978 if it was built in say October of 1977 and sold in August of 1978 and so on. On pre 1981 rabbits built in Germany the VIN starts with "17" and then up to 1979 there is a number after that representing the year, ie "177" means it is a 1977. In 1980 they started using letters so "17A" is a 1980, "17B" is a 1981, however the USA didn't get any 1980 German built rabbits so that VIN configuration wouldn't be found on a US built rabbit. The German built ones continued until 1984 and then the "new Golf" or "Golf II" came out with a completely different VIN.

RE: Smog device: Yup, that is what that is.
      Last edited by chrissev2; 12-07-2011 at 12:14 PM.

Vehicles
      1980 Sh*trocco, 1977 rabbit
      12-14-2011 09:01 AM #15
      Nice find and save. You're right about traffic in the scirocco forum I'm tempted to move my project thread over.

Lucky to have an S1 with such a solid base to work with, mine not so solid when I picked it up.

Wing it Engineering.

Another MK1 Saved - The SH*TROCCO Project

16. Member
      Vehicles
      12-14-2011 12:45 PM #16
      haha, no kidding
      i've been watching your thread as well, it looks great so far
      an early scirocco is an early scirocco, most of us would try to save it no matter how bad it looks, but i think yours might take the cake

I'm on the hunt for parts, and the list is pretty extensive
      front fenders, a windshield, carpet, front seats, rear upper seat, a silver gauge cluster, original steering wheel, etc
      all of which, except the carpet, are almost completely impossible to find

12-14-2011 12:48 PM #17

18. 12-16-2011 12:29 AM #18
      i wanted to pick this thing up, but unfortunately it was on the island.. good luck with saving it

19. Member
      Vehicles
      12-25-2011 10:08 PM #19
      I came back to visit for christmas and did some 'sort of' work on the scirocco while I was there
      ...basically i just raided the thing for parts while I had the chance

the extra motor is an early swallowtail(1975) motor, with a swallowtail style valve cover, distributor, and carb setup
      the cab has never been cracked open, so i'm going to need a rebuild kit for it
      the car came with i think virtually everything needed to switch something over to carbs, including the tank float and pickup, a few pumps, the different water pipe on the engine block to direct warm water into the carburetor choke, etc

I looked up the part numbers on the head and block but couldn't get any definite answers on what they are
      i'm guessing a bare bones 1.5
      the cam looked stock, it all looks stock
      also, the transmission, which an early 4 speed GC, must be a REALLY early model, because it's got the starter motor mounted super low instead of next to the distributor, and it has a funky looking front mount, among other things
      i had never seen one like it, anyway
      the 4 speed in the scirocco is a later 4 speed, that looks almost identical to an 020

anyway, photos

the carb is a Zenith unit, not a Weber like i originally though
      but does anyone know if the rubber 'adapter plate' attached to the bottom is the same bolt pattern as a weber?

early swallowtail-style valve cover

head and block part numbers, and a '75' mark on the block face; is that the year of manufacture?

swallowtail style washer bottle

the funky 4 speed's funky front mount & part number

and an early swallowtail style steel wheel (the 'D-windows' are a different shape, and smaller)
      plus some Dunlops that look like they were last used in the late 70's

anyway, i'll be grabbing the CIS bits off of the scirocco's motor to give them to a friend, and tucking it back up until I can actually bring some larger parts back with me
      pretty cool bits, though

12-25-2011 11:46 PM #20
      Looks like a decent project, good luck dude

Vehicles
      81 VW Rabbit 1.7L EN 4-speed 020 GP, 78 VW Rabbit 1.5L EH 4speed 020 GC->GP
      03-27-2012 04:36 AM #21
      nice
      and that 75 stamp on the block endures the test of time

if youre saying its an early model 75 or 76 but dont have a VIN?
      so built in 76 but sold as 77?

the GC trans is definately 75 (and piss poor gear ratios if you ask me, .97 4th gear)

with all the random things that could have happened to the car over the years it might have had swapped engines at any point

22. Member
      Vehicles
      03-23-2013 08:28 PM #22
      so I've slowly been collecting parts for this thing over the last year, trying to get everything together so that in the event of me actually having a space to build this car, I can start right away

this week I took a trip down to the states, and found a super rad secret wrecking yard with a barn full of old VW parts that han't seen the light of day in at least 20 years. I was in treasure hunting heaven

I grabbed two 1976 mk1 scirocco fenders, a mint set of 1976 tail and signal lights, chrome scirocco door handles, half a 1976 grille, some vintage parts books, an e21 Foha rear deck spoiler, a set of Hella bubble headlight covers, a vintage aluminum license plate frame, and a whack of other odds and ends. the yard is owned by an old deaf guy who shoots the **** with 3 other old guys who just hang out all day and talk about the old days. REALLY cool find, it definitely made the trip

at one point I found a set of nice early small rabbit tails, then I dug in a pile of boxes and found 4 ammo crates FULL of small tails. all perfect or nearly perfect.

the yard owner wanted $35 a piece for these e21 BMW recaros. but I had already ran out of money

there were also a lot of cool cars in the yard

and my haul

i'm definitely going back... after I save a bit more money

Vehicles
      81 VW Rabbit 1.7L EN 4-speed 020 GP, 78 VW Rabbit 1.5L EH 4speed 020 GC->GP
      03-23-2013 08:35 PM #23
      cool yard

24. n00b
      Vehicles
      1980 mk1 scirocco S, 1976 scirocco TS, vw type 181 the thing, 2000 mk4 jetta vw bug 1968
      08-12-2014 02:22 AM #24
      DO YOU HAVE ANY EXTRA TURN SIGNALS (NO MATTER CONDICCION) I DONT OPEN THIS VWVORTEX STUFF MORE OFFTEN CAN YOU REPLY TO ktulu0078@gmail.com please i´ve look everywere