Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 13 of 13

    Thread: Lowering jetta help?

    1. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2011
      Location
      Maine
      Posts
      86
      Vehicles
      2003 VW Jetta Gli Vr6
      12-06-2011 05:03 PM #1
      Hows its going everyone I am new to the site...I have a 2003 Gli vr6 and want to lower it but here is my problem. I got the car about 6 months ago and the previous owner put new struts on it..well now it sits about an inch higher in the front. I wanna lower the front down about an 1 1/2 inches and the rear about 1/2 an inch, nothing dramatic just want to get rid of the wheel gap. What would be my best, cheapest bet?

    2. Member charles_3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 6th, 2009
      Location
      Spokane, WA
      Posts
      1,812
      Vehicles
      2003 GTI 1.8t Reflex Silver
      12-06-2011 05:12 PM #2
      Raceland Ultimos

      You will not get rid of wheel gap lowering it an 1/2 inch in the rear and 1 1/2 in the front just so you know.

    3. Member yivek's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 16th, 2010
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      1,435
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg Edition, 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP
      12-06-2011 05:14 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Cwask View Post
      Hows its going everyone I am new to the site...I have a 2003 Gli vr6 and want to lower it but here is my problem. I got the car about 6 months ago and the previous owner put new struts on it..well now it sits about an inch higher in the front. I wanna lower the front down about an 1 1/2 inches and the rear about 1/2 an inch, nothing dramatic just want to get rid of the wheel gap. What would be my best, cheapest bet?
      Springs, but you might not like how it sits and still want coils afterwards. I know I still want coils after buying 2 sets of springs to get close the drop I wanted.
      2001 Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg Edition

    4. Member bryanboley's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 23rd, 2010
      Location
      864
      Posts
      4,352
      Vehicles
      03 Wolfsburg Jetta
      12-06-2011 05:14 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by charles_3 View Post
      Raceland Ultimos

      You will not get rid of wheel gap lowering it an 1/2 inch in the rear and 1 1/2 in the front just so you know.
      listen to this guy. Raceland ultimos are about the best budget/cheapest coilover you can get.
      Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger7 View Post
      I usually just use placental tissue to affix my coilpacks when they get loose.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...wnpipe-etc.%29
      ^^Buy my sh!t up there^^

    5. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2011
      Location
      Maine
      Posts
      86
      Vehicles
      2003 VW Jetta Gli Vr6
      12-06-2011 05:54 PM #5
      I will have to look into those. Will i have to change out my struts or shocks? And are they built decent? I just don't want to get junk ones that ride horrible and mess up the front end.

    6. Member bryanboley's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 23rd, 2010
      Location
      864
      Posts
      4,352
      Vehicles
      03 Wolfsburg Jetta
      12-06-2011 06:05 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Cwask View Post
      I will have to look into those. Will i have to change out my struts or shocks? And are they built decent? I just don't want to get junk ones that ride horrible and mess up the front end.
      A coilover is exactly what it sounds like. It is a coil over a shock. So it essentially replaces your old shocks and struts. Ultimo's are definitly on the lower end of quality as compared to coilovers such as B&G or H&R, but from what i have heard, they do not ride bad at all. Obviously, the lower you go on any coilover, the worse it is going to ride. Just do some research on what kind of coilover fits you best. Lots of threads around here to help ya out
      Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger7 View Post
      I usually just use placental tissue to affix my coilpacks when they get loose.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...wnpipe-etc.%29
      ^^Buy my sh!t up there^^

    7. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2011
      Location
      Maine
      Posts
      86
      Vehicles
      2003 VW Jetta Gli Vr6
      12-06-2011 06:11 PM #7
      All right, thanks for the help!

    8. Member bryanboley's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 23rd, 2010
      Location
      864
      Posts
      4,352
      Vehicles
      03 Wolfsburg Jetta
      12-06-2011 06:16 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Cwask View Post
      All right, thanks for the help!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger7 View Post
      I usually just use placental tissue to affix my coilpacks when they get loose.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...wnpipe-etc.%29
      ^^Buy my sh!t up there^^

    9. Member oldskool1963vw's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 28th, 2005
      Location
      Tampa
      Posts
      1,416
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta TDI/ 2004.5 Jetta GLI/ 2013 Routan
      12-06-2011 07:45 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by bryanboley View Post
      A coilover is exactly what it sounds like. It is a coil over a shock. So it essentially replaces your old shocks and struts. Ultimo's are definitly on the lower end of quality as compared to coilovers such as B&G or H&R, but from what i have heard, they do not ride bad at all. Obviously, the lower you go on any coilover, the worse it is going to ride. Just do some research on what kind of coilover fits you best. Lots of threads around here to help ya out
      The same can be said for the "cheaper" you go...

    10. Member bryanboley's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 23rd, 2010
      Location
      864
      Posts
      4,352
      Vehicles
      03 Wolfsburg Jetta
      12-06-2011 07:52 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by oldskool1963vw View Post
      The same can be said for the "cheaper" you go...
      yes very true indeed. I guess i was only trying to say that if you bottom out any coilover, it's not going to ride fantastic. But good point
      Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger7 View Post
      I usually just use placental tissue to affix my coilpacks when they get loose.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...wnpipe-etc.%29
      ^^Buy my sh!t up there^^

    11. Member gettajetta13's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 22nd, 2008
      Location
      Bellevue , wa
      Posts
      1,457
      Vehicles
      86 1.8 Jetta Sold, 96 2.0 Jetta Sold, 97 2.0 Jetta Sold, 01 vr6 Jetta Sold, 01 Passat b5 cuurent
      12-06-2011 08:12 PM #11
      dont go the cheap route. good suspension is more expensive for a reason its simply built better and better for your car. you might as well do it right the first time.

    12. Banned SoIAteAPancakeToday's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 21st, 2009
      Location
      mexico
      Posts
      8,089
      Vehicles
      cheby
      12-06-2011 09:35 PM #12
      ultimos are fine dont listen to the retards that payed over 1k for some coils

    13. Member oldskool1963vw's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 28th, 2005
      Location
      Tampa
      Posts
      1,416
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta TDI/ 2004.5 Jetta GLI/ 2013 Routan
      12-06-2011 10:08 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by bryanboley View Post
      yes very true indeed. I guess i was only trying to say that if you bottom out any coilover, it's not going to ride fantastic. But good point
      as was yours...

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •