Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 51 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The car enthusiast thread. All topics are fair game - you just need to love cars (since TCL doesn't)

Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      12-06-2011 05:13 PM #1
      Seeing all of the special people out in TCLand got me thinking - there are a ton of pansies amongst our forums.

Let's have an open discussion about any car you're interested in. Anything. I don't care. You may never set your tires on a track or auto-x course, it's OK.

There's only one rule - if you don't like what someone is posting about, you keep yer got damn mouth shut about it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, I'll start off - the Subaru BRZ is a topic of great tension right now, mostly because there are a lot of misinformed people (as well as trolls) that don't understand that 75 ft/lbs per liter is very impressive in a road car. They also can't appreciate that this car is going to be tiny, and handle on rails. Whatever - that's their opinion, but I do have a problem when said clowns start trashing others for genuinely liking a legit sportscar that harkens back to the golden days of 70's and 80's lightweight imports that were purpose-built for nothing other than pure hooliganisim.

So, my next new car purchase may very well be said BRZ. My wife likes it, I LOVE it, goodbye GTI in five more years

So - again, the discussion doesn't need to be anything in particular - just talk about a nice car you saw today, your own car, a car you want to purchase, a car you regret selling, etc.

Just keep the trolling BS out of it. I have faith in you OT.

Also - something of a surprise - I am loving my wife's Golf TDI. We already have 10k miles on it, expect a thorough review on it in the near future. Didn't think I could genuinely like a new VW this much after my GTI nightmares of years gone by.

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      12-06-2011 05:16 PM #2
      The BRZ/FR-S will definitely be in the running for my first car I get as a grownup in a few years. I think it's really cool, but my only issue is that it appears to be approximately S2000-sized and I felt claustrophobic in that joker and this thing has a roof, so that might cause a problem.

Random note, when the eff will prices on Evos drop? They hold their values like they're built out of solid gold. It pisses me off.

Vehicles
      12-06-2011 05:19 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      The BRZ/FR-S will definitely be in the running for my first car I get as a grownup in a few years. I think it's really cool, but my only issue is that it appears to be approximately S2000-sized and I felt claustrophobic in that joker and this thing has a roof, so that might cause a problem.

I have high hopes for the interior comfort of the BRZ. I'm downright comfortable in my 944 - and it seems to have identical dimensions. I'm also not a small guy - 6'0" tall, 210 lbs

On a related note - when I sat inside a new Camaro, I felt downright claustrophobic in that thing, and it's huge! (On the outside, at least.)

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      12-06-2011 05:19 PM #4
      TCL hates cars now?

News to me.
      ...tunes from the car makin' everybody dizzy. bumpin' Flaming Lips, Johnny Cash and Biggie...

Support Your Local Homebrewery
      Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      12-06-2011 05:20 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Mosbius Designs View Post
      Seeing all of the special people out in TCLand got me thinking - there are a ton of pansies amongst our forums.

Let's have an open discussion about any car you're interested in. Anything. I don't care. You may never set your tires on a track or auto-x course, it's OK.

There's only one rule - if you don't like what someone is posting about, you keep yer got damn mouth shut about it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, I'll start off - the Subaru BRZ is a topic of great tension right now, mostly because there are a lot of misinformed people (as well as trolls) that don't understand that 75 ft/lbs per liter is very impressive in a road car. They also can't appreciate that this car is going to be tiny, and handle on rails. Whatever - that's their opinion, but I do have a problem when said clowns start trashing others for genuinely liking a legit sportscar that harkens back to the golden days of 70's and 80's lightweight imports that were purpose-built for nothing other than pure hooliganisim.

So, my next new car purchase may very well be said BRZ. My wife likes it, I LOVE it, goodbye GTI in five more years

So - again, the discussion doesn't need to be anything in particular - just talk about a nice car you saw today, your own car, a car you want to purchase, a car you regret selling, etc.

Just keep the trolling BS out of it. I have faith in you OT.

Also - something of a surprise - I am loving my wife's Golf TDI. We already have 10k miles on it, expect a thorough review on it in the near future. Didn't think I could genuinely like a new VW this much after my GTI nightmares of years gone by.
      You mean like the '87 Toyota Supra? I test drove one before I went in the army and I had dreams about that car for months afterward. Driving it was beyond heavenly. I just wrapped around me. I've never driven a car that felt like that to me since
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

Vehicles
      (OoO)
      12-06-2011 05:21 PM #6
      The Aston Martin Lagonda gives me wood!

Vehicles
      E46 330ci and Bikes.
      12-06-2011 05:23 PM #7
      I have this defensive rhetoric practically memorized for the people of NYC who do not understand, appreciate, or "get" what driving is about.

Cars represent more than transportation. They represent logic, power, passion, technology, freedom, beauty, and thrill. That's every car.

They're much like humans. They need to be fed (gas, coolant, oil). They breathe in and out (take in air, mix it, use it, expel it). They're emotional (I've had cars that broke when I put them in the garage for the night, and magically the next day all problems were gone). They need maintenance (my ankle has pins and screws in it, my last car needed a drive shaft repair 9 hours before I was to sell it) And they make you feel certain ways that nothing else can (the thrill of rowing through the gears, spinning out on a tight corner and feeling your heart race, the comfort of slipping into the driver's seat and feeling "home". Hitting the apex at the limits of grip on a road course.

There's something beautiful there. Between man, machine, and the knowledge that passionate people had a hand in making something that can not only take you somewhere literally but figuratively as well.

I'm all nostalgic and rose-tinted because I've been car-less since July, and I miss it every day. I miss having that space to call my own. I miss picking my girlfriend up and having her take her shoes off and and get cozy in the passenger seat. I miss being able to just drive and forget about all the bullsh*t surrounding me.

For people that don't love driving, you've never really DRIVEN.
      No Signature. Only Krav Khalash.

Vehicles
      12-06-2011 05:23 PM #8
      I'm completely in love with Diamond Dave's old 1984 GLI:

Vehicles
      2010 Toyota Prius V, 1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4
      12-06-2011 05:24 PM #9
      So ready to get back into a (paid-for) Maxima. I've regained a desire to not have car payments.

Ideally an orange 6th-gen with a "CLKWRK" license plate.

But I'll probably end up in a 5th-gen again.
      Esi ϟ Disi

Vehicles
      12-06-2011 05:24 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      You mean like the '87 Toyota Supra? I test drove one before I went in the army and I had dreams about that car for months afterward. Driving it was beyond heavenly. I just wrapped around me. I've never driven a car that felt like that to me since
      Exactly. It's the way I feel when I get in my 944. I want that driving experience every day. In something that I can reliably drive every day

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      12-06-2011 05:26 PM #11
      I like pretty much all Maximas except for those. Although I did think the four-person seating and the long, thin sunroof was really awesome looking.

Vehicles
      12-06-2011 05:27 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      So ready to get back into a (paid-for) Maxima. I've regained a desire to not have car payments.
      No car payments is fun. I miss that, but my wife had to be all 'I want a new car'

13. Member
      Vehicles
      67 Dodge Coronet sedan, Kymco Like 200LX
      12-06-2011 05:28 PM #13
      I was very surprised to see how the size of the Toyota/Subaru stacked up against the Genesis. Seems a cool car that I may keep in mind once theyve been on the market for a few years.

That said, I think Im growing tired of driving. Maybe I'm just sick of being surrounded by idiots not paying attention or getting caught in traffic but taking the train places is becoming way more appealing to me. It takes longer but is far more relaxing.

Vehicles
      2002 Subaru Outback, 2003 Miata, 2006 EX500R, 2011 ZX-6R
      12-06-2011 06:00 PM #14
      It's highly likely my Impreza is going away and will be replaced with a 4x4 pickup tonight (eying a Ford Ranger at the moment). Certain cars still tickle my fancy but I find my excitement for all things automotive difficult to maintain as cars are just getting too spendy for what I would want. I feel like my excitement-to-dollar ratio is better on two-wheels
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      What, none of you watch reruns on TV?
      Quote Originally Posted by NPH View Post
      I don't know about you but, I get angry and shout "IB4TL" when one comes on.

12-06-2011 06:02 PM #15
      I thought the purpose of the Off-Topic section of a car forum was to discuss non-car stuff...?
      2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring

Vehicles
      1983 GTI; 1993 Trek
      12-06-2011 06:05 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Yo Teach View Post
      I thought the purpose of the Off-Topic section of a car forum was to discuss non-car stuff...?
      That would make this thread off-topic from the Off-topic forum; therefore making it on topic since it is off-topic....I think.
      //COOLWATERmotorsport
      |F0TZ3 HA5E| - The Project
      VWVolkshaus: Haus des Verrückten

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      12-06-2011 06:09 PM #17
      I'm bored with cars. If my car was any more fun to drive on the road, I'd have to spend more money and then I'd just get more speeding tickets.

I'm ready to move back to badass SUVs. I've been searching for the right FJ80 (91-97 toyota land cruiser) for a while. I'd love to have one for the snow this winter, but we'll see.

Random pic of expedition ready FJ80 goodness

Vehicles
      12-06-2011 07:00 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by nemo1ner View Post
      That would make this thread off-topic from the Off-topic forum; therefore making it on topic since it is off-topic....I think.

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      12-06-2011 07:04 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by nemo1ner View Post
      From what I understand, all topics are fair game in Off Topic, even if they have their own forum within the site.

Unfortunately, I think some topics have stagnated since everything seems to wind up in here eventually.
      :gift:

Vehicles
      a '98 [on life support] and a '07
      12-06-2011 07:07 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      TCL hates cars now?

News to me.
      Bunch of whiny gee-bags over in the Lounge the last few months.
      Where is Kyron ??? http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
      Support our troops, bless the fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by genjy View Post
      Yes, there is a high chance that the tractor trailer was the one going 160MPH, not the Porsche GT2 RS.

Vehicles
      12-06-2011 07:08 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      From what I understand, all topics are fair game in Off Topic, even if they have their own forum within the site.

Unfortunately, I think some topics have stagnated since everything seems to wind up in here eventually.
      I don't know - it has ebbs and flows. Things got spicy earlier today with the 'would you eat human flesh' thread...or the 'morning dump at work' thread from a few days ago.

But, for serious - I'm just a little more bitter than normal about the attitude the general populous at TCL is having right now...so I thought it would be nice to have a civil discussion about cars with the OT regulars.

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      12-06-2011 07:11 PM #22
      I love cars for all the reasons that TCL doesn't. Basically because they are cool. They are not an appliance, they are cars. Cars excite me...appliances, not so much.

In other news...I have a Golf R on order and can't wait. So not only do I LOVE cars but I like VWs...a real TCL misfit.
      Scotch. It's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chockomon
      2 Emmetts = Pi * sqrt(cockerpunk)

Vehicles
      2000 Montero Sport
      12-06-2011 07:11 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post

Random note, when the eff will prices on Evos drop? They hold their values like they're built out of solid gold. It pisses me off.

Never

The rarity is a factor, but it might be the last of it's kind too. The next generation is going to be some sort of diesel-hybrid. They almost axed it, but people were outraged so they decided to keep it in production and make it more "green"

They are pretty hard to find and usually have been molested badly. I saw one listed, it was a 2005, wrecked all around, some missing interior bits, ugly aftermarket wheels, almost 89,000 miles on it, ragged out....and the guy wants fvckin $10,000 !
      Quote Originally Posted by ILL02GTI
      A V6 mustang is like going to the prom with your sister. Sure you might have sex at the end of the night, but something just won't feel right.

Vehicles
      12-06-2011 07:13 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      So not only do I LOVE cars but I like VWs...a real TCL misfit.

Vehicles
      08 NS Capital, 04+ Bianchi Pista, 06 Transition Dirtbag
      12-06-2011 07:21 PM #25
      Its always crazy seeing exotic cars next to regular cars just to get a sense of perspective

Cupcake - Team My Little Pony

12-06-2011 07:22 PM #26
      I've always wondered what TCL thinks about the S chassis. s13, s14, s15, etc. It is huge in the California hipster scene, which is too bad, but it does make a nice chassis.

Thoughts? TCL seems to be impartial.

27. 12-06-2011 07:26 PM #27
      I owned a blue 87 Supra turbo in the mid 1990's. I understand what you are saying. That car did everything right.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      12-06-2011 07:26 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Merc-MarkO View Post
      Bunch of whiny gee-bags over in the Lounge the last few months.
      OT has been the suck for the last few months too, pretty boring IMHO. I have actually been spending a lot more time in TCL lately.
      ...tunes from the car makin' everybody dizzy. bumpin' Flaming Lips, Johnny Cash and Biggie...

Support Your Local Homebrewery
      Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      12-06-2011 07:31 PM #29
      You mean like the '87 Toyota Supra?
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      I owned a blue 87 Supra turbo
      Turbo Supra was one of the first cars I ever drove, my mother owned one. Liked the car a lot...was heavy as all hell though.
      Scotch. It's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chockomon
      2 Emmetts = Pi * sqrt(cockerpunk)

30. 12-06-2011 08:51 PM #30
      All I have to add is that I'm done with jack-of-all-trades cars. I find myself more and more drawn to vehicles with a specific purpose and that excel inthose purposes.

Thats kind of why we ended up with a Prius for the wife. Its boring, slow, sedate, disconnected and embarrassingly efficient...so for a pure commuter for a wife who doesn't like diving its perfect.

Its also why I am car shopping for a 3rd car. For over a year I was posting how I coildn't wait to dump my mkv gti for something else...but everything else seemed like an extension of the car i was getting rid of. Good at lots, great at none. I want something that is purely a toy...so i'm looking at S2000s, miatas, 944s, and the like for the immediate future, with an eye on the FT/BRZ twins in a few years.

I'll apply this same purpose specific logic when looking for a replacement for the wife's old CRV. I'd rather get 18mpg in a 4runner than 22mpg in a cute ute. Its paid off and low mileage though so I'm in no rush.

Vehicles
      A slow hatchback and a droptop chick car.
      12-06-2011 09:05 PM #31
      For me, I'm a VW guy all around. Having owned around 30 or so of them. Mostly aircooled, but when I bought my 2000 Golf GLS (2.slow) I was in heaven. Plenty of room for me, 4 doors when friends tagged along, and the hatch. God bless the man that invented the hatchback. What that Golf lacked in power/performance, it made up for in sheer fun. To me, the car was just fun to drive. I still kick myself in the ass the day 1.8T fever took over and I traded it in on my '05 GLI.

Now, for somewhat on topic of this off-topic discussion about automobiles...

The new Subaru looks and sounds impressive. Might have to test drive one when they launch. Though, I do doubt that the car will be fitting to someone of my stature. I'll have to wait and see.
      1995 Golf Sport 2.0 -"But none together can testify to rhythm of a road well bent."

...Meh

Vehicles
      2007 S2000
      12-06-2011 09:06 PM #32
      I want this

with this

just because it's awesome.

Vehicles
      12-06-2011 09:14 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post
      All I have to add is that I'm done with jack-of-all-trades cars. I find myself more and more drawn to vehicles with a specific purpose and that excel inthose purposes.

Thats kind of why we ended up with a Prius for the wife. Its boring, slow, sedate, disconnected and embarrassingly efficient...so for a pure commuter for a wife who doesn't like diving its perfect.

Its also why I am car shopping for a 3rd car. For over a year I was posting how I coildn't wait to dump my mkv gti for something else...but everything else seemed like an extension of the car i was getting rid of. Good at lots, great at none. I want something that is purely a toy...so i'm looking at S2000s, miatas, 944s, and the like for the immediate future, with an eye on the FT/BRZ twins in a few years.

I'll apply this same purpose specific logic when looking for a replacement for the wife's old CRV. I'd rather get 18mpg in a 4runner than 22mpg in a cute ute. Its paid off and low mileage though so I'm in no rush.
      Amen to that. I'm perfectly content leaving the 'quasi-jack-of-all-trades' to my wife from now on. It's amazing how when I was younger, I thought I could get all of my automotive pleasure out of a dang GTI

Quote Originally Posted by warrenW View Post
      I want this

with this

just because it's awesome.
      Mother of God.

Vehicles
      2000 Acura TL 3.2, 2001 GMC Sierra (RIP)
      12-06-2011 09:18 PM #34
      ^^ prob gets similar gas mileage.
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      Station wagons are for moms and Europe.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Honda Fit Sport
      12-06-2011 11:10 PM #35
      The Toyobaru BRZ/FT86 twins are the first new cars in about 10 years that I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing/sitting in/test driving. I haven't been this interested in a new model since the S2000 came out.

Page 1 of 51 1234511 ... LastLast