Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: The car enthusiast thread. All topics are fair game - you just need to love cars (since TCL doesn't)

12-06-2011 07:22 PM #26
      I've always wondered what TCL thinks about the S chassis. s13, s14, s15, etc. It is huge in the California hipster scene, which is too bad, but it does make a nice chassis.

Thoughts? TCL seems to be impartial.

2. 12-06-2011 07:26 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      You mean like the '87 Toyota Supra? I test drove one before I went in the army and I had dreams about that car for months afterward. Driving it was beyond heavenly. I just wrapped around me. I've never driven a car that felt like that to me since
      I owned a blue 87 Supra turbo in the mid 1990's. I understand what you are saying. That car did everything right.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      12-06-2011 07:26 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Merc-MarkO View Post
      Bunch of whiny gee-bags over in the Lounge the last few months.
      OT has been the suck for the last few months too, pretty boring IMHO. I have actually been spending a lot more time in TCL lately.

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      12-06-2011 07:31 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      You mean like the '87 Toyota Supra?
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      I owned a blue 87 Supra turbo
      Turbo Supra was one of the first cars I ever drove, my mother owned one. Liked the car a lot...was heavy as all hell though.
      Scotch. It's time.

Quote Originally Posted by westsideseal View Post
      I want to start a fundamentalist bakery called "Let he who is without sin snatch the first scone"

Vehicles
      #fakerich Honda
      12-06-2011 08:51 PM #30
      All I have to add is that I'm done with jack-of-all-trades cars. I find myself more and more drawn to vehicles with a specific purpose and that excel inthose purposes.

Thats kind of why we ended up with a Prius for the wife. Its boring, slow, sedate, disconnected and embarrassingly efficient...so for a pure commuter for a wife who doesn't like diving its perfect.

Its also why I am car shopping for a 3rd car. For over a year I was posting how I coildn't wait to dump my mkv gti for something else...but everything else seemed like an extension of the car i was getting rid of. Good at lots, great at none. I want something that is purely a toy...so i'm looking at S2000s, miatas, 944s, and the like for the immediate future, with an eye on the FT/BRZ twins in a few years.

I'll apply this same purpose specific logic when looking for a replacement for the wife's old CRV. I'd rather get 18mpg in a 4runner than 22mpg in a cute ute. Its paid off and low mileage though so I'm in no rush.

Vehicles
      A slow hatchback and a droptop chick car.
      12-06-2011 09:05 PM #31
      For me, I'm a VW guy all around. Having owned around 30 or so of them. Mostly aircooled, but when I bought my 2000 Golf GLS (2.slow) I was in heaven. Plenty of room for me, 4 doors when friends tagged along, and the hatch. God bless the man that invented the hatchback. What that Golf lacked in power/performance, it made up for in sheer fun. To me, the car was just fun to drive. I still kick myself in the ass the day 1.8T fever took over and I traded it in on my '05 GLI.

Now, for somewhat on topic of this off-topic discussion about automobiles...

The new Subaru looks and sounds impressive. Might have to test drive one when they launch. Though, I do doubt that the car will be fitting to someone of my stature. I'll have to wait and see.
      1995 Golf Sport 2.0 -"But none together can testify to rhythm of a road well bent."

...Meh

Vehicles
      2007 S2000
      12-06-2011 09:06 PM #32
      I want this

with this

just because it's awesome.

Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2014 Mazda 6, 2015 Chevy SS
      12-06-2011 09:14 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post
      All I have to add is that I'm done with jack-of-all-trades cars. I find myself more and more drawn to vehicles with a specific purpose and that excel inthose purposes.

Thats kind of why we ended up with a Prius for the wife. Its boring, slow, sedate, disconnected and embarrassingly efficient...so for a pure commuter for a wife who doesn't like diving its perfect.

Its also why I am car shopping for a 3rd car. For over a year I was posting how I coildn't wait to dump my mkv gti for something else...but everything else seemed like an extension of the car i was getting rid of. Good at lots, great at none. I want something that is purely a toy...so i'm looking at S2000s, miatas, 944s, and the like for the immediate future, with an eye on the FT/BRZ twins in a few years.

I'll apply this same purpose specific logic when looking for a replacement for the wife's old CRV. I'd rather get 18mpg in a 4runner than 22mpg in a cute ute. Its paid off and low mileage though so I'm in no rush.
      Amen to that. I'm perfectly content leaving the 'quasi-jack-of-all-trades' to my wife from now on. It's amazing how when I was younger, I thought I could get all of my automotive pleasure out of a dang GTI

Quote Originally Posted by warrenW View Post
      I want this

with this

just because it's awesome.
      Mother of God.

Vehicles
      2000 Acura TL 3.2, 2001 GMC Sierra (RIP)
      12-06-2011 09:18 PM #34
      ^^ prob gets similar gas mileage.
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      Station wagons are for moms and Europe.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Honda Fit Sport
      12-06-2011 11:10 PM #35
      The Toyobaru BRZ/FT86 twins are the first new cars in about 10 years that I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing/sitting in/test driving. I haven't been this interested in a new model since the S2000 came out.

Vehicles
      2000 Acura TL 3.2, 2001 GMC Sierra (RIP)
      12-06-2011 11:25 PM #36
      ffgg
      Last edited by rsj0714; 12-07-2011 at 09:43 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      Station wagons are for moms and Europe.

Vehicles
      a '98 [on life support] and a '07
      12-06-2011 11:28 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by azn View Post
      Its always crazy seeing exotic cars next to regular cars just to get a sense of perspective

That's a cool pic.
      Where is Kyron ??? http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
      Support our troops, bless the fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by genjy View Post
      Yes, there is a high chance that the tractor trailer was the one going 160MPH, not the Porsche GT2 RS.

Vehicles
      12-06-2011 11:47 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by rsj0714 View Post
      ffgg
      Nice ninja edit.

Not a coldplay fan

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      12-07-2011 05:31 AM #39
      I can't wait to own a BRZ, the first car in a long time that actually interests me on an engineering level that I can afford.

Vehicles
      Six Speed Satanizer
      12-07-2011 05:38 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Der Schaltwerks View Post
      The Aston Martin Lagonda gives me wood!

Mad crazy wood.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You are in the land of rust and honey.

Vehicles
      12-07-2011 06:32 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      I can't wait to own a BRZ, the first car in a long time that actually interests me on an engineering level that I can afford.
      I really can't figure out why so many people in the lounge hate it. Cheap, fun, excellent handling, decently quick. But, since there are so many magazine racers here it's not good enough.

If it were wearing a VW badge, at least half of the negativity would disappear instantly - and it's a shame that it's like that around here.

Vehicles
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI. 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6. 2015 Forester (Wife)
      12-07-2011 06:44 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Mosbius Designs View Post
      If it were wearing a VW badge, at least half of the negativity would disappear instantly - and it's a shame that it's like that around here.
      And the other half of the negativity would go exponential.
      I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI - 1996 GTI VR6 - YouTube Track Videos - flickr

Vehicles
      12-07-2011 06:50 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      And the other half of the negativity would go exponential.
      Maybe - maybe not. I know I've said a lot of bad things about the brand, but if they came out this this, well that would buy me some additional brand equity. I mean crap, I own two right now and I'm still bitter.

Turbio said it best - it's bizzaro world out there.

Anyone catch the little circle-jerk going on right now about the guy who just bought a Wolfsburg Jetta? I'm not saying anything in the thread, but it's quite funny right now. Apparently the 2.0T Jetta is a sport sedan, and it provides the perfect balance for daily driving and track usage Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Sonic Sedan 1.4T Manual
      12-07-2011 06:56 AM #44
      I have given up on TCL. It went from car appreciation, to elitest rambles, to all out hate of anything not an appliance, or super car.

That said, I really like the BRZ/FT-86/FR-S. Looks good, proper platform, nice interior. Surely the aftermarket will make it great too. I've seen hate because it's a 2.0. Also not forced induction. It also lacks the "soul" of a real sports coupe.

I think of it as a manly Miata Coupe with more grunt under it's skirt.

Do want.

Vehicles
      12-07-2011 07:12 AM #45
      Anyone catch the little circle-jerk going on right now about the guy who just bought a Wolfsburg Jetta? I'm not saying anything in the thread, but it's quite funny right now. Apparently the 2.0T Jetta is a sport sedan, and it provides the perfect balance for daily driving and track usage Whatever floats your boat, I guess.
      I missed that, so I don't know the particulars of that thread... But I do have enough track experience to know that Mk5/Mk6 VWs are quite capable, even in stock form, while also maintaining a civilized persona for the daily commute. That fits the definition of a Sport Sedan to me.

Vehicles
      12-07-2011 07:24 AM #46
      I missed that, so I don't know the particulars of that thread... But I do have enough track experience to know that Mk5/Mk6 VWs are quite capable, even in stock form, while also maintaining a civilized persona for the daily commute. That fits the definition of a Sport Sedan to me.
      Yeah, they're OK in stock form. I quite like how civilized my golfs is for daily driving duties.

However, let me ask you this - what would you take in the situation? Money not a factor. The Jetta, or a 328i?

For the better balanced chassis , I'm taking the 328i. Even it if means sacrificing a few HP down the line if you decided to reflash the Jetta.

Not trashing the guy for buying a Jetta - but his comments for justifying the purchase were pretty funny.

Vehicles
      12-07-2011 07:34 AM #47
      However, let me ask you this - what would you take in the situation? Money not a factor. The Jetta, or a 328i?
      I don't know the situation... so it's a silly question. If money wasn't a factor, I'd probably take neither of them.

Vehicles
      12-07-2011 07:49 AM #48
      I don't know the situation... so it's a silly question. If money wasn't a factor, I'd probably take neither of them.
      So why are you pushing the subject?

I made an observation about the thread. Is that ok?

On another note - have you been over to Cars and Coffee lately? I remember seeing your wagon once or twice over the last year or so, I'm assuming that was you at least.

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      12-07-2011 07:55 AM #49
      I still love cars. Buying a bike has made what I love about cars more clear to me. I love low, stiff, fast cars. I love them when they wrap around me tight. I love it when I am part of the car I am driving, when I know it well, when I can feel everything the engine and chassis are doing around me. I love to drive. Linking curves is intoxicating. The racing line is an addictive drug that I am not ashamed to chase. Big brakes and sticky tyres are the deciding factors for me.

This is interesting to me, because I discovered that I like sitting up on my bike, jumping curbs, and tearing up the lawn (sorry, work, I was lost on campus. I didn't realize that was grass there. I'll try to remember next time I get stuck inside after dark...exactly where those awesome patches are!!!!). Laying down on the tank does little to nothing for me. I like going slow and and going fast, doing figures and noodling around. I like suspension travel and being silly. Nubby is better than sticky. Brakes are still king.

So, by and large, I have finally separated out what I like and what I don't like, and in the process, discovered that I am more dimesional than I thought I was.

And I still love cars.
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, Den Mother - Team Emmett

Vehicles
      12-07-2011 07:58 AM #50
      So why are you pushing the subject?

I made an observation about the thread. Is that ok?
      Sure... you could have been nice enough to post the link though, so I'd have some idea of what it's all aboot.

On another note - have you been over to Cars and Coffee lately? I remember seeing your wagon once or twice over the last year or so, I'm assuming that was you at least.
      That was me. I wasn't able to get out there this year. Too much traveling with work. Next year for sure.

Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast