Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The car enthusiast thread. All topics are fair game - you just need to love cars (since TCL doesn't)

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      12-07-2011 12:06 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by Señor Peligro View Post
      9 years?! Dear god what have I done

(technically 7. been banned & stuff.)
      LOL. My point was that it just got old after years of the same ol' stuff.

Vehicles
      Honduh VTAK
      12-07-2011 12:06 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by GTiTOM View Post
      LOL. My point was that it just got old after years of the same ol' stuff.
      TCL is indeed a cruel mistress.
      Now go get your shinebox

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      12-07-2011 12:27 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Señor Peligro View Post
      TCL is indeed a cruel mistress.
      Holy ****, I thought you were dead due to a complication related to the over consumption of bacon.
      Scotch. It's time.

Quote Originally Posted by butterface View Post
      First seadoo gets published by Rolling Stone, and now we discover that vwtool has a blog.

Vehicles
      Subaru OB XT, Previa LE S/C Alltrac
      12-07-2011 12:36 PM #74
      I absolutely love my car. That is all.

I still subscribe to PVW and will continue to do so. I love seeing people get creative with their cars.
      If you can't measure it, you can't understand it; if you can't understand it, you can't control it.

Vehicles
      Honduh VTAK
      12-07-2011 12:39 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      Holy ****, I thought you were dead due to a complication related to the over consumption of bacon.
      Dude, you have no idea what I'm cooking right now.
      Now go get your shinebox

Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      12-07-2011 12:40 PM #76
      Simple - Do you have an old air-cooled?

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      12-07-2011 12:50 PM #77
      Let's see, some random thoughts on cars:

-Never thought I'd see the day where I wouldn't own anything that wasn't european. But damn, after owning the mustang for a few months, I really think everyone should spend some serious time in a V8 pony car.
      -I'm glad the Golf R wasn't out when I looked at the mustang, as I might have just gone with the safe (for me) choice!
      -I didn't think the mustang was that big, man, it's freakin huge!
      -The hot topic of the moment seems to be the FRS/BRZ twins. I can see the appeal to these cars and you can bet I'll be down to the dealer to look one over when they come out, but at the same time, neither really does much for me. They're about a 7.5 out of 10 on my personal "DO WANT" scale. More power will bring the want level up a few points though.
      -I think my list of automotive wants (10 out of 10 on my personal scale) at this point is really down to: Z4 M coupe, C6 vette, Lotus Elise, Porsche 911/cayman, Viper GTS, 370z, Boss Mustang, VW T-reg, MB G-wagon. 98% of everything else I see out there is rather so-so. I'd be a very happy man if the only vehicles I could choose from until I died came from that list.

Vehicles
      12-07-2011 12:52 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by Mosbius Designs View Post
      Simple - Do you have an old air-cooled?
      Yes.

It is a 500cc Ski-Doo snowmobile
      If you can't measure it, you can't understand it; if you can't understand it, you can't control it.

Vehicles
      12-07-2011 12:53 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
      Yes.

It is a 500cc Ski-Doo snowmobile
      Boo-urns.

Vehicles
      2013 Focus - turbo edition
      12-07-2011 01:02 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Soul.

You no haz it.
      Explain. Does this have something to do with my inability to dance?
      Quote Originally Posted by feliks View Post
      I do not want to think what would have happened, if as a result of the vibrations, the resulting leaks in the fuel pool and the water came out of it ... Almost as a result of radiation inside the building and its three filling remains, you can not to re-seal it. ..

Therefore, even mild disturbances such methods may be used: diamond cut rope ..

Vehicles
      12-07-2011 01:06 PM #81
      Boo-urns.

Saw a sweet air-cooled Bug this morning. I'd love to own one but I need heat and a/c in the cars that I drive. Someday I'll build a rat-rod, maybe it will be a VW but more likely it will be a Ford.

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      12-07-2011 01:10 PM #82
      I am batsh!t in love with the 8-series. I may have to get one in a couple years and just accept that it will nickle and dime me to death...but it will be worth it.

13. 12-07-2011 01:22 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by TetsuoShima View Post
      I am batsh!t in love with the 8-series. I may have to get one in a couple years and just accept that it will nickle and dime me to death...but it will be worth it.
      Beautiful car.

Though I wouldn't say nickle and dime with the 8 series. I'd say its more likely to Grant and Franklin you to death, or in the case of Canada, King and Sir Robert Borden you.

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      12-07-2011 01:34 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post
      Beautiful car.

Though I wouldn't say nickle and dime with the 8 series. I'd say its more likely to Grant and Franklin you to death, or in the case of Canada, King and Sir Robert Borden you.
      I figure, once i'm in the real world and pay off all my student debt and get comfortable with my job..instead of buying a brand new car for 25k, why not get an 8 series for ~10k, buy a cheap Camry, Accord etc for DD use and save the rest for major repairs on the 8?

As you can tell, i'm desperately trying to justify the purchase

Vehicles
      12-07-2011 01:34 PM #85
      A moose to pull your wagon of looneys and tooneys?

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      12-07-2011 05:28 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by sjt1985 View Post
      Explain. Does this have something to do with my inability to dance?
      No, I only dance when I can't remember doing so.

Soul is something that is earned through struggle, lust, strife, short lived complacency and ultimately das heartbreak. You can not love VW unless you have hated VW. I am talking no car payment and no warranty all out frustration type of love.

Anybody can just go buy or lease a new car. It takes balls of stone and a head partially full of marbles to fall in love with an old VW. And then there are the paint chip eaters, who will make dumb decisions regardless.
      Did you know you can use old motor oil to fertilize your lawn?
      Quote Originally Posted by rconn14 View Post
      I hope deadmau5 is on a forum somewhere calling patrikman a douchebag too.
      Support Your Local Homebrewery Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

Vehicles
      12-07-2011 05:37 PM #87

Vehicles
      2013 Focus - turbo edition
      12-07-2011 06:39 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Anybody can just go buy or lease a new car. It takes balls of stone and a head partially full of marbles to fall in love with an old VW. And then there are the paint chip eaters, who will make dumb decisions regardless.
      Despite your love for the green and yellow, and the diameter of your neck, you have earned a place in my sig. However, I'm talking about owning a Mk5 or Mk6. The only thing keeping me from buying one is my impression that I cannot diagnose and wrench on them myself.
      Quote Originally Posted by feliks View Post
      I do not want to think what would have happened, if as a result of the vibrations, the resulting leaks in the fuel pool and the water came out of it ... Almost as a result of radiation inside the building and its three filling remains, you can not to re-seal it. ..

Therefore, even mild disturbances such methods may be used: diamond cut rope ..

Vehicles
      12-07-2011 07:11 PM #89
      Despite your love for the green and yellow, and the diameter of your neck, you have earned a place in my sig. However, I'm talking about owning a Mk5 or Mk6. The only thing keeping me from buying one is my impression that I cannot diagnose and wrench on them myself.
      Actually, with all the on-board displays and vag-com, the diagnosis is easy.

Problem is, you'll be performing said diagnosises at a much more frequent and costly pace

I'm not ready to say the MkVI has made it better - I hope it has.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      12-07-2011 08:13 PM #90
      My debt is bigger than yours.
      Did you know you can use old motor oil to fertilize your lawn?
      Quote Originally Posted by rconn14 View Post
      I hope deadmau5 is on a forum somewhere calling patrikman a douchebag too.
      Support Your Local Homebrewery Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

Vehicles
      12-07-2011 10:12 PM #91
      My wife just said I should sell the GTI and 944 to buy a BRZ next year.

She's even more bat**** crazy that me

Vehicles
      A slow hatchback and a droptop chick car.
      12-07-2011 11:45 PM #92
      My wife just said I should sell the GTI and 944 to buy a BRZ next year.

She's even more bat**** crazy that me
      Don't laugh too hard. The lady may be on to something.
      1995 Golf Sport 2.0 -"But none together can testify to rhythm of a road well bent."

...Meh

23. 12-08-2011 01:29 AM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      I have this defensive rhetoric practically memorized for the people of NYC who do not understand, appreciate, or "get" what driving is about.

Cars represent more than transportation. They represent logic, power, passion, technology, freedom, beauty, and thrill. That's every car.

They're much like humans. They need to be fed (gas, coolant, oil). They breathe in and out (take in air, mix it, use it, expel it). They're emotional (I've had cars that broke when I put them in the garage for the night, and magically the next day all problems were gone). They need maintenance (my ankle has pins and screws in it, my last car needed a drive shaft repair 9 hours before I was to sell it) And they make you feel certain ways that nothing else can (the thrill of rowing through the gears, spinning out on a tight corner and feeling your heart race, the comfort of slipping into the driver's seat and feeling "home". Hitting the apex at the limits of grip on a road course.

There's something beautiful there. Between man, machine, and the knowledge that passionate people had a hand in making something that can not only take you somewhere literally but figuratively as well.

I'm all nostalgic and rose-tinted because I've been car-less since July, and I miss it every day. I miss having that space to call my own. I miss picking my girlfriend up and having her take her shoes off and and get cozy in the passenger seat. I miss being able to just drive and forget about all the bullsh*t surrounding me.

For people that don't love driving, you've never really DRIVEN.
      Deep man, deep.

Seriously though, exactly how I feel. Best post I've seen.

Vehicles
      12-08-2011 09:06 AM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by FatBastrd View Post
      Don't laugh too hard. The lady may be on to something.
      I think you're right.

I can't do it, though - I'm already too emotionally attached to the 944. It gives a raw driving experience that i'll never match in any new car that i'll ever be able to afford.

As for the GTI - I've only had it 5 years. I told myself 10 minimum unless something catastrophically goes wrong with it. Come November 2016, you better believe i'll be looking for a leftover 2016 model. I'll be ready for a new DD by then.

Vehicles
      04 R32 02 WRX
      12-08-2011 09:22 AM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenWagen View Post
      Deep man, deep.

Seriously though, exactly how I feel. Best post I've seen.
      X2. People get caught in the lull of driving during rush hour and think it's all traffic and bull****.

Some random weekend, get your favorite CD, set your alarm for 4am and drive until the sun comes up. You'll like driving again.

Vehicles
      12-08-2011 09:28 AM #96
      Opie and Anthony makes my morning and afternoon commutes fun, even in horrid traffic

Oh, and I went full retard and stepped back into the car lounge.

I'll go slap myself now...

27. 12-08-2011 10:05 AM #97
      I think you're right.

I can't do it, though - I'm already too emotionally attached to the 944. It gives a raw driving experience that i'll never match in any new car that i'll ever be able to afford.

As for the GTI - I've only had it 5 years. I told myself 10 minimum unless something catastrophically goes wrong with it. Come November 2016, you better believe i'll be looking for a leftover 2016 model. I'll be ready for a new DD by then.
      Agreed on the 944. Everyone needs their toys.

10 years on the GTI though? You are far braver than I am. I threw in the towel after 5 years. I wouldn't go for the first model year of the BRZ...but thats just a hang up I have. Seeing as how Subaru likes to update their cars often and isn't afraid of massive improvements mid cycle, I'd probably split the difference between your current 5 year and hoped for 10 years, and pick up a MMC BRZ after 7 or 8 years of GTI ownership.

Vehicles
      90 turbo miata - 87 325is - 13 Mustang GT
      12-08-2011 10:13 AM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by TetsuoShima View Post
      I figure, once i'm in the real world and pay off all my student debt and get comfortable with my job..instead of buying a brand new car for 25k, why not get an 8 series for ~10k, buy a cheap Camry, Accord etc for DD use and save the rest for major repairs on the 8?

As you can tell, i'm desperately trying to justify the purchase
      You should just go for it man. Life is too short to stick around in a car you aren't in love with if you are a car enthusiast. I was bored of my mkV gti for a while so I sold it and got an e28 m5 and a cheap e30 winter beater and still had some cash left over from the GTI sale. I was worried for a while since both cars have over 200K but they are driving great and are super fun. I have much more fun in my $600 e30 beater than I ever had in the GTI, and the M5 is no comparison either. They will need some maintenance sooner than later but so did the GTI. You don't want to keep putting off things that can enrich your life because eventually you'll be too old or you'll die unexpectedly.

Vehicles
      12-08-2011 10:17 AM #99
      The way I look at it -is the huge issue is related to the camshaft and fuel pump. That'll be covered the entire 10 years. Im only at 70k miles (and have only put 5k onthe in the last 12 months!) Remember my thread in the spring about if I should buy that beater G20 for my commute? Now that my wife has the new car, we use it everywhere and I commute with her 3 days a week.

I'm really hoping to get that full 10 years - we'll see.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      12-08-2011 10:19 AM #100
      The thing that amazes me lately is this: everything is amazing, but nobody's happy. Louis CK, you said it best. I mean, we've got AMAZING cars coming out from almost every company, for almost every need or desire. We've got mother****ing Camaros - CAMAROS FOR GODS SAKE - that run sub 8 minute Nurburgring times. We've got flickable little RWD coupes starting at $22k. We've got $55k 650hp Mustangs. We've got 22mpg four-door Wranglers. We've got 135is, ATS, CTS-Vs! This is the best time in recent memory to be an enthusiast!

And yet when any of those cars debut, what do we hear? No torque means you could dead! OMG hard plastic interior! Meh, too heavy! Meh, too expensive! Meh, too cheap! Meh meh meh. I'll only take it if it comes with a diesel and a manual! Meh, I'll just buy a used Car X! Meh, the rear valence is a total dealbreaker! HEY GUISE LETS ARGUE ABOUT COMPACT COMMUTER SEDANS

**** that ****.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      12-08-2011 10:22 AM #101
      Glad you finally joined us, Turbio.

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      12-08-2011 10:23 AM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Meh meh meh.
      Yeah, that about sums it up.

I think it has to do with the culture in TCL now. It seems that it is very unpopular to like anything now. If you like a car it means you're a "fanboi". It's much cooler to be a curmudgeon about every car regardless of how cool it is.
      Scotch. It's time.

Quote Originally Posted by butterface View Post
      First seadoo gets published by Rolling Stone, and now we discover that vwtool has a blog.

Vehicles
      2007 Volvo XC90, 2013 Ram 1500 Sport Crewcab, 1971 Datsun 240Z, 1993 Passat VR6T
      12-08-2011 10:23 AM #103
      Random thought time, some of which are inspired by comments in this thread:

1. People that don't get why people are into cars, should go and watch the Eric Bana movie, "Love The Beast." That explains it perfectly right there.

2. I'm a car guy, I can accept and appreciate pretty much anything with wheels. As long as the person has put some thought and care into their car, I can dig it. Even if I wouldn't consider ever owning something like it.

3. PVW magazine is annoying. Same cars over and over, always described as being unique. Really? Another Mk2 on BBS with a VR swap, owned by some hipster with ironic 80s props nearby? Yeah, unique. And before anyone classes me as a VW hating person, I've owned 5 of them them, loved everyone, and will continue to own VWs. The "scene" is annoying. My current VW is a 93 Passat wagon with a Turbo VR6.

4. I love big ass trucks too.

5. The GTR does not excite me in any way, shape, or form. I've driven it a couple of times, and it has the same problem as the old Acura NSX. Looks good, awesome performance, comfortbale, no soul. I want performance cars to make me feel something; whether it's excitement, confusion, or fear, the car needs to evoke a response. The GTR makes me go "meh."

6. Why are people so giddy over Japanese RHD imports? These old Skylines, Soarers, Delicas, etc are dime a dozen over here. They all look really rough around the edges, and they all drive like what they are: 15 year old Nissans and Toyotas. They're like driving your mom's old Maxima, but less convenient because of where you're sitting.

7. The BRZ is interesting, and is probably the only interesting Toyota since the Supra was killed off. Still wouldn't buy one though. I sense that it will feel very appliance like, and that my 6'6" body will most likely not fit. I'll take a used Boxster or E36 instead. yeah, maybe those aren't as fast, or as cheap to run, but I know I'll have more fun, and I know I fit.

8. The EcoBoost is not the be-all end-all for truck engines. It has power and fuel economy. But not at the same time.

I think that's it for now.

93 Passat wagon VR6T FOR SALE http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...6T-Edmonton-AB

I have my fears, but they do not have me.

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike
      12-08-2011 10:26 AM #104
      Just do it. If you can afford it without going up against a wall, do it.

I agree about the comments on soul and VWs. You have to have been to the bottom of the well with VWs to truly get the whole soul thing. But once you've been there, it's hard to stay away. I wouldn't call it soul, per se, more of just the comfort of knowing that if you're going to get screwed, you will at least enjoy it for the most part.

I have a beater MkIII that I fully expect to give me small amounts of grief for a long, long time. I will love every minute of it, because I know exactly how to deal with it, and can do so when I choose to. I live in no fear of it having issues - I know that one day, it will. It will be the wrong time and the wrong place, but whatever. It's a ton of fun to drive. I smile whenever I look at it. I giggle when I stuff it full of shopping and still fit my family inside comfortably. I really giggle when I pass people on the Autobahn. But one day, she will give me issues. I think it will be the day I have to get the TÜV renewed. Hmmmm. Not looking forward to that..... Stupid PCV system....
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan

35. 12-08-2011 10:43 AM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by iamsuperdan View Post
      7. The BRZ is interesting, and is probably the only interesting Toyota since the Supra was killed off. Still wouldn't buy one though. I sense that it will feel very appliance like, and that my 6'6" body will most likely not fit. I'll take a used Boxster or E36 instead. yeah, maybe those aren't as fast, or as cheap to run, but I know I'll have more fun, and I know I fit.

I'm confused by this. It doesn't bother or affect me in the slightest whether you like it or not, but can you please explain why you think it will be appliance like? The BRZ is shaping up to be a no frills, lightweight, Miata sized coupe with a 7500rpm boxer engine and LSD standard, developed by Subaru and aimed squarely at enthusiasts. If thats not the antithesis of appliance, we have very different definitions of appliance. And with only a handful of journalists, how could you have determined a 14 year old BMW sedan is going to be more fun?

Like I said, your opinion doesn't affect me or really bother me...but your conclusions do confuse me.

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast