Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast
    Results 1,296 to 1,330 of 1769

    Thread: The car enthusiast thread. All topics are fair game - you just need to love cars (since TCL doesn't)

    1. Member Rabbit5GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2006
      Location
      Near McBanagon
      Posts
      14,330
      Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      08-10-2012 09:38 PM #1296
      Jesus


    2. Banned Fritz27's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 8th, 2003
      Location
      Brickell
      Posts
      26,442
      Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      08-10-2012 09:45 PM #1297
      Should've bought a hybrid.


    3. Member Rabbit5GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2006
      Location
      Near McBanagon
      Posts
      14,330
      Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      08-10-2012 09:46 PM #1298
      I wanted to buy a freakin Optima hybrid, but they weren't on sale yet.

      VW can suck it if they think I'm putting those goddamned stickers inside my fuel door.

    4. Member mellbergVWfan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 31st, 2008
      Location
      Bay Area, CA
      Posts
      9,537
      Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 99 Viggen Coupe
      08-10-2012 09:57 PM #1299
      Quote Originally Posted by Mosbius Designs View Post
      I wanted to buy a freakin Optima hybrid, but they weren't on sale yet.

      VW can suck it if they think I'm putting those goddamned stickers inside my fuel door.
      Hasn't Hyundai and Kia gotten some bad reviews on their current hybrids?
      Demokratikally Elekted Director of Espionage and Identity Theft and Minister of post-progressive-technical-melodic-avant-garde-metal for the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Oh mellberg is cool, but his car certainly isn't helping that happen.
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      u jus made bc 2 bitches are sweatin me.

    5. Member Rabbit5GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2006
      Location
      Near McBanagon
      Posts
      14,330
      Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      08-10-2012 10:04 PM #1300
      Quote Originally Posted by mellbergVWfan View Post
      Hasn't Hyundai and Kia gotten some bad reviews on their current hybrids?
      Dude, I drive two VWs. Do you think I care about what some schmuck has to say about a car that I like?

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 14th, 2009
      Posts
      1,200
      Vehicles
      63 ranchero
      08-11-2012 01:03 AM #1301
      hybrids.

    7. Member Rabbit5GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2006
      Location
      Near McBanagon
      Posts
      14,330
      Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      08-11-2012 07:31 AM #1302
      Quote Originally Posted by stolenface View Post
      hybrids.
      You must be new here.

    8. Banned Fritz27's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 8th, 2003
      Location
      Brickell
      Posts
      26,442
      Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      08-11-2012 08:01 AM #1303
      Quote Originally Posted by stolenface View Post
      hybrids.
      The MkIV forums are that way.

      --------->

    9. Member zaYG's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 28th, 2009
      Location
      Derry NH
      Posts
      3,379
      Vehicles
      glorified Volkswagen for middle class white women
      08-11-2012 08:47 AM #1304
      Meh, I think hybrids are lame as ****.

      I'm a damn car enthusiast. I love smelly gas vehicles that make me feel like it is the 1950s.

      Either that, or give me a full blown electric car. I'd rock a Volt (I know it has a gas motor, but it can be full electric) all day. A Prius though? Meh.

      Can I stay though?
      flickr | Follow me on instagram: @ginger_reporter

    10. Member Rabbit5GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2006
      Location
      Near McBanagon
      Posts
      14,330
      Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      08-11-2012 08:56 AM #1305
      For my daily commute, I want something efficient. For the rest of the time, give me 8 mpg and a cabin smelling of exhaust fumes.

      And a Volt is still a hybrid, so your argument is invalid. But you can stay.

    11. Member zaYG's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 28th, 2009
      Location
      Derry NH
      Posts
      3,379
      Vehicles
      glorified Volkswagen for middle class white women
      08-11-2012 09:18 AM #1306
      Quote Originally Posted by Mosbius Designs View Post
      For my daily commute, I want something efficient. For the rest of the time, give me 8 mpg and a cabin smelling of exhaust fumes.

      And a Volt is still a hybrid, so your argument is invalid. But you can stay.
      It still technically is a hybrid, but it COULD be ran solely as an electric car. I wait for the day that pure electric cars become relatively mainstream. I love gas, but electric cars are also cool and gadgety.

      Maybe it is just the fact that the cars that hybrid motors get put in are generally lame that turn me off.

      Well, usually.

      flickr | Follow me on instagram: @ginger_reporter

    12. Moderator rich!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 18th, 1999
      Location
      SoFLA
      Posts
      9,213
      Vehicles
      '12 Touareg, '12 CC
      08-11-2012 09:50 AM #1307
      Quote Originally Posted by Mosbius Designs View Post
      VW can suck it if they think I'm putting those goddamned stickers inside my fuel door.


      filling up yesterday - someone plastered the stickers all over the diesel pumps.
      .: FireVortex the Browser Extension for VWVortex :: Download now for Firefox & Google Chrome :: Powered by etivite

      .: Features: Full Ignore a Member :: Thread Previews :: Kill Threads :: Products Search :: Quick Menu (favorite forums, subscribe topics, recently viewed) :: Custom Emoticons :: Quick Reply :: Full Screen Mode :: MyPage :: Kill Quoted Images :: Kill Quotes in Sigs :: more...

    13. 08-11-2012 10:31 AM #1308
      Quote Originally Posted by zaYG View Post
      Meh, I think hybrids are lame as ****.

      I'm a damn car enthusiast. I love smelly gas vehicles that make me feel like it is the 1950s.

      Either that, or give me a full blown electric car. I'd rock a Volt (I know it has a gas motor, but it can be full electric) all day. A Prius though? Meh.

      Can I stay though?
      I hate that "i'm a car enthusiast line." and why does it have to be all gas or all electric? What makes the volt so desirable in your eyes other than it not being a dorky Prius? I'm an enthusiast by every definition and have a Prius (to be fair its the wife's and I was somewhat apprehensive when she zeroed in on it). Would I use it as my daily? Hell no. Do I wish more people drove them? I wish hybrids for all of the people. If most cars got near 50mpg what would that do to our national consumption? Cut it in half?

      What changed my tune? The Prius is balls ass reliable and dirt cheap to operate. We use it for all our errands, road trips, and my wife's commute. Its smooth, comfy, lazy, and quiet. Its the perfect tool for the job, and for that reason alone I can appreciate it. Less money tied up in a wifey commuter over one that may get a thumbs up from fellow internet dorks (she was also looking at a TSX), means more money for me to pour into my new toy. I'd say its actually a very enthusiast friendly vehicle.

      Point being... As the workhorse commuter there isn't much better than the Prius. It helps keep my overall car expenses in check, allowing a toy car to enter the equation.

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 14th, 2009
      Posts
      1,200
      Vehicles
      63 ranchero
      08-11-2012 11:43 AM #1309
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      The MkIV forums are that way.

      --------->
      wouldn't touch a mk4 with a 99.5 foot pole.
      Last edited by stolenface; 08-11-2012 at 12:02 PM.

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 14th, 2009
      Posts
      1,200
      Vehicles
      63 ranchero
      08-11-2012 12:01 PM #1310
      Hybrids just aren't my thing. I wouldn't be caught dead driving one. Way too much tech. Plus they're pretty much worthless as a used car. Yuppiemobiles.

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2011
      Location
      Louisville, KY
      Posts
      1,077
      Vehicles
      2014 Focus ST and lots of bicycles
      08-13-2012 07:49 AM #1311
      Quote Originally Posted by stolenface View Post
      Hybrids just aren't my thing. I wouldn't be caught dead driving one. Way too much tech. Plus they're pretty much worthless as a used car. Yuppiemobiles.
      Put the shovel down.

    17. Member Rabbit5GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2006
      Location
      Near McBanagon
      Posts
      14,330
      Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      08-13-2012 07:54 AM #1312
      Just got back from a weekend trip to Philly and Amish country. Wish I had taken the 944, we took a lot of fun backroads.

    18. Member zaYG's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 28th, 2009
      Location
      Derry NH
      Posts
      3,379
      Vehicles
      glorified Volkswagen for middle class white women
      08-13-2012 08:08 AM #1313
      Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post
      I hate that "i'm a car enthusiast line." and why does it have to be all gas or all electric? What makes the volt so desirable in your eyes other than it not being a dorky Prius? I'm an enthusiast by every definition and have a Prius (to be fair its the wife's and I was somewhat apprehensive when she zeroed in on it). Would I use it as my daily? Hell no. Do I wish more people drove them? I wish hybrids for all of the people. If most cars got near 50mpg what would that do to our national consumption? Cut it in half?

      What changed my tune? The Prius is balls ass reliable and dirt cheap to operate. We use it for all our errands, road trips, and my wife's commute. Its smooth, comfy, lazy, and quiet. Its the perfect tool for the job, and for that reason alone I can appreciate it. Less money tied up in a wifey commuter over one that may get a thumbs up from fellow internet dorks (she was also looking at a TSX), means more money for me to pour into my new toy. I'd say its actually a very enthusiast friendly vehicle.

      Point being... As the workhorse commuter there isn't much better than the Prius. It helps keep my overall car expenses in check, allowing a toy car to enter the equation.
      To me, it just seems as if hybrids are more of a stop gap. I don't really have an interest in them for that reason. Electric cars are quite clearly the wave of the future (although hydrogen cars would interest me even more for whatever reason) while the Prius and the like seem to just be a thing of the times. Couple that with the fact that the Prius is incredibly boring in my eyes (I tend to try and have something even a little bit more interesting as a daily, but I also don't need to worry about having something as reliable and practical these days as many do) along with most hybrids, and I just don't see the appeal.

      The Opitma hybrid is the only one that really seems attractive to me - as well as the old 7th gen Civic hybrid just based on the rarity/oddity factor. Plus, it came with a 5 speed.
      flickr | Follow me on instagram: @ginger_reporter

    19. Member zaYG's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 28th, 2009
      Location
      Derry NH
      Posts
      3,379
      Vehicles
      glorified Volkswagen for middle class white women
      08-17-2012 08:58 AM #1314
      Got an EK 4 door civic as a trade offer for the Miata. Lowered on some nice suspension and has legit Panasports. Not from some shady kid around here too, some Russian dude that when i googled his name to see if he wasn't a fake named scammer found that he is also a photo-bro as I am, and a writer for the Boston Globe, so I know he probably won't follow me home and steal it.

      Considered trading. The car is certainly rough around the edges in some spots, but I know those things STILL sell like hotcakes and if I return it to stock and sell off the wheels/suspension I might be able to turn a profit.

      Not sure what to do...
      flickr | Follow me on instagram: @ginger_reporter

    20. Member Karmanniac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 22nd, 2002
      Location
      Newark, DE
      Posts
      347
      Vehicles
      2003 1.8 Tango
      08-18-2012 07:55 AM #1315
      Quote Originally Posted by zaYG View Post
      To me, it just seems as if hybrids are more of a stop gap...electric cars are quite clearly the wave of the future.
      True. Consider the performance capabilities of an electric AWD setup with a motor for each wheel: no drivetrain, perfect weight distribution. I think that's what Fisker is doing at the moment, actually.
      -= DelDubs =-

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2011
      Location
      Louisville, KY
      Posts
      1,077
      Vehicles
      2014 Focus ST and lots of bicycles
      08-18-2012 08:47 AM #1316
      Quote Originally Posted by zaYG View Post
      Got an EK 4 door civic as a trade offer for the Miata. Lowered on some nice suspension and has legit Panasports. Not from some shady kid around here too, some Russian dude that when i googled his name to see if he wasn't a fake named scammer found that he is also a photo-bro as I am, and a writer for the Boston Globe, so I know he probably won't follow me home and steal it.

      Considered trading. The car is certainly rough around the edges in some spots, but I know those things STILL sell like hotcakes and if I return it to stock and sell off the wheels/suspension I might be able to turn a profit.

      Not sure what to do...
      I'd pass, if I were in your shoes. I'd rather have the convertible Miata. And while the Civic may be worth more on the "scene" market, it wouldn't be worth it. As popular as modified Civics are, there are a lot of idiots/deadbeats around that will lowball, offer stupid trades, etc to make it more trouble than it is worth.

    22. Member Rabbit5GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2006
      Location
      Near McBanagon
      Posts
      14,330
      Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      08-18-2012 11:04 AM #1317
      Just ordered these for the 944. Ballin on a budget, son.


    23. Geriatric Member ATL_Av8r's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 17th, 2002
      Location
      Gapiana
      Posts
      40,307
      08-18-2012 12:15 PM #1318
      So where do you go to find a number UNmatching classic? I want an old convertible muscle car....like an old Camaro or Mustang or something. Seems like everything I see on Autotrader, Ebay, Craigslist, etc. are mucho bucks because they're all original, numbers matching, concours, etc etc. I don't care about all that jazz. I want something to build into a fun cruiser, maybe even restomod. Where the hell do I find a complete, unoriginal, numbers-not-even-close-to-matching classic muscle car?
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

      Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

    24. Member ridersna's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 22nd, 2010
      Location
      under a rock
      Posts
      1,197
      Vehicles
      2007 civic Si coupe
      08-18-2012 12:30 PM #1319
      stumbled on this flikr acount,this guys amazing with a camera...and all dope as fudge cars...

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/changaroo/
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      Sometimes you just have to dim the lights, light a candle, pick out the right clip, and make love to yourself.....
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      I usually stick a ham on either end of my gun and bench press it naked in my window for 10 minutes before I turn in.

    25. Member Cousin Eddie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2005
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      14,918
      Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      08-18-2012 12:55 PM #1320
      There are soooo many parts I want for my Datsun right now that I can't possibly afford. One at a time. One at a time...

      Headlight covers for the ZG nose ~$200:



      Proper JDM flares that aren't ****ty knock-offs and actually fit ~$400:



      Air dam to match the skirts on my car ~$500 incl shipping:



      Twice pipes exhaust (might just make this myself) $200:



      Kameari Flywheel with ACT Clutch ~$900




      3.1L Stroker re-build by myself or a Rebello built engine. $$$$

      And if I fell into a pile of money this $2500 stainless beauty from Kameari:



      Making a car the way you want takes a ton of time and money. Don't mind shoving money into the car as I intend to keep it for good, just not willing to go into crazy amounts of debt to get it where I want. It's like Johnny Cash's Cadillac, one piece at a time. I look back at all the **** i've bought and it surprises me how easy it is to spend money on a car.

    26. Geriatric Member ATL_Av8r's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 17th, 2002
      Location
      Gapiana
      Posts
      40,307
      08-19-2012 02:10 PM #1321
      Adam: Too lazy to search, even within this thread. Have you ever posted pics of your Z? Do so.

      I love Z's.
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

      Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

    27. Member zaYG's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 28th, 2009
      Location
      Derry NH
      Posts
      3,379
      Vehicles
      glorified Volkswagen for middle class white women
      08-19-2012 03:03 PM #1322
      Quote Originally Posted by GoRacers View Post
      I'd pass, if I were in your shoes. I'd rather have the convertible Miata. And while the Civic may be worth more on the "scene" market, it wouldn't be worth it. As popular as modified Civics are, there are a lot of idiots/deadbeats around that will lowball, offer stupid trades, etc to make it more trouble than it is worth.
      Well I decided against it, but nobody is moving on the Miata at all to be honest.
      flickr | Follow me on instagram: @ginger_reporter

    28. Member Ubel GLI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 17th, 2006
      Location
      The Midwest
      Posts
      9,353
      Vehicles
      Golf R, KTM 450SMR, Ducati Monster
      08-19-2012 05:03 PM #1323
      Lolhybridhate

    29. Member 22AudiQ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2008
      Location
      New York, NY
      Posts
      1,998
      Vehicles
      MTA
      08-19-2012 05:47 PM #1324
      Just replaced the plugs and wires on my A4.





      It was probably time for replacement.

    30. Member TooFitToQuit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 5th, 2003
      Location
      ATL
      Posts
      10,446
      08-19-2012 08:16 PM #1325
      I am piecing together my NSX front brake setup, but I just got word that the Wilwood 6-pot BBK doesn't throw off brake bias at all.

      My choices:

      NSX Setup ~$500
      NSX Calipers
      Integra Type R Brackets
      Red Powdercoat
      Hawk HPS Pads
      Mini Cooper 11.0" Rotors

      Wilwood 6-Pot BBK ~$900
      Stock red finish
      12" rotors
      Just need Hawk HPS pads (preference)

      Thoughts?

    31. Member Rabbit5GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2006
      Location
      Near McBanagon
      Posts
      14,330
      Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      08-19-2012 09:14 PM #1326
      I'm not gonna lie, seems a little bit much for a Fit.

    32. Banned Fritz27's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 8th, 2003
      Location
      Brickell
      Posts
      26,442
      Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      08-19-2012 09:27 PM #1327
      I'd get the NSX setup unless there's a turbo K20 in the near future.

    33. Member Rabbit5GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2006
      Location
      Near McBanagon
      Posts
      14,330
      Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      08-19-2012 09:30 PM #1328
      Hell, even if an NA K20 is in the works...then a big brake conversion would be appropriate.

    34. Member TooFitToQuit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 5th, 2003
      Location
      ATL
      Posts
      10,446
      08-20-2012 06:41 AM #1329
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I'd get the NSX setup unless there's a turbo K20 in the near future.
      Not turbo, but an NA K24 (K20 head) as soon as the mounts are made and AC/PS can be retained without a hack-job.

    35. Member Rabbit5GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2006
      Location
      Near McBanagon
      Posts
      14,330
      Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      08-20-2012 06:53 AM #1330
      That little sucker is gonna be quick.

    Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •